AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-18, 14:56   Link #1
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Character Discussion - Edward Elric

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Edward Elric related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Fullmetal Alchemist fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing

Last edited by White Manju Bun; 2009-09-22 at 20:52.
Old 2009-05-18, 17:27   Link #2
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Yay! A thread for the shrimp. While I haven't started watching this series yet, I have been a fan of his character when the old FMA was airing. He can be overbearing at times, as is with most male characters voiced by Paku Romi, but Ed's a character works because of that particular trait. Ed is cool. He also has shiny limbs.
Old 2009-05-18, 21:03   Link #3
holyalexander
holy alexander

all i could say about this kid is that he has issues about his height lol..
and he's really good both physical and alchemy.. im one of the fans..
Old 2009-05-20, 01:43   Link #4
LelouchZer0

I am also a fan of Edward Elric. Many do think that he is the younger brother because of his height, one of my friends did. Plus, can you really imagine Ed with a height similar to Al? Can that reduce his alchemy skills?
Old 2009-05-21, 22:26   Link #5
Vicious108

No, but milk probably would.

Anyways, am I correct in assuming these character discussion topics are meant for people following Brotherhood and thus manga spoilers are a no-no?
Old 2009-05-22, 03:58   Link #6
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
Anyways, am I correct in assuming these character discussion topics are meant for people following Brotherhood and thus manga spoilers are a no-no?
Read the opening post.
Old 2009-05-22, 14:30   Link #7
Vicious108

I did, but it didn't really specify which version's spoilers require spoiler tags... I guess all of them, eh. There will be a lot of tagging that way, but oh well.
Old 2009-05-23, 04:46   Link #8
blewin

The story won't hold without Edward! There won't be a FMA without him. All hail Edward.

Chrome Shelled Regios
Old 2009-05-25, 10:20   Link #9
Ziziphus
Whatever

I just finished the original FMA anime last year and I've been a BIG fan of Ed ever since then!
Personally I highly doubt there's anyone who watched this series and didn't fall in love with his character
Old 2009-05-25, 12:00   Link #10
Vicious108

I certainly didn't after watching the original FMA anime, since in my view they completely butchered his character in the second half of the series, but yes after reading the manga I too couldn't help but fall in love with the midget. Looking forward to seeing a lot of his great moments in that one animated in Brotherhood.
Old 2009-05-26, 09:35   Link #11
Ziziphus
Whatever

Well, I already loved him after the 1st series. But indeed after reading the manga I found him just...even more amazing!
"they completely butchered his character" - as for me I don't really think so, his character is darker due to different circumstances they put him in, but it fit him anyway.
But yeah, manga Ed is 10 times cooler, b/c manga story is 10 times cooler than 1st anime! that's what I thought
Old 2009-05-26, 10:04   Link #12
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
I did, but it didn't really specify which version's spoilers require spoiler tags... I guess all of them, eh. There will be a lot of tagging that way, but oh well.
Yeap. Pretty much anything beyond the story covered in the corresponding anime adaptation. That way, both the anime-viewers and the manga readers will be able to participate in such threads.

Ed is one of my few liked male-character voiced by Paku Romi. Usually I find the male characters voiced by her pretty annoying, so Ed's character has to be amazing since that's not the case here. My logic is impeccable.
Old 2009-05-27, 08:57   Link #13
Kirarakim

Okay I am ashamed I have not written anything in this thread yet because Ed is probably my favorite character. I say probably because although Ed was the first character I really fell in love with in the series I've come to really adore every character in the manga in some ways.

So anyways the following is for manga!Ed. I did like anime!Ed for the most part too (except maybe they made him a bit too angsty) but manga!Ed is who I really love. So this is what this post refers to

Anyways when it comes to teenage protagonists I do feel Ed is one of the best. Oddly enough I've seen some people complain that for a main character Ed doesn't do enough. But that is one thing I love about Arakawa's writing. That while Ed is central to the story, everything doesn't revolve around him necessarily. Ed as the main protagonist does tend to be in the right more often than not but he definitely isn't the character that swoops in and saves the day or solves everything. I guess part of the reason why I love Ed is because he is an awesome character but Arakawa makes sure that he doesn't outshine the other characters.

I also like that he is mature for his age (because of what he has been through) but still a child in many respects. He can be naive/idealistic and he can be immature when it comes to certain things (his height, girls: one in particular).

Another thing that is of course interesting is the dynamic between Ed & Al. Ed is the older brother but Al has to often look after Ed because Ed can be reckless at times. Ed is very smart but he can rush into things. Although in other more subtle ways you can still see that Ed is the older brother because he does emotionally support Al in a way (although Al is an emotionally strong character in his own right and part of Ed's growth is realizing this). I guess the thing I love most about Ed & Al's relationship (and a big difference from the anime) is how these two characters equally support each other.

So yeah I could probably say a lot more but I wanted to make this as general as possible without going into spoilers.

edit: Although I will say my favorite joke concerning Ed is not his height issue but his art skills, especially the way he makes things out of alchemy. Ed thinks his style is very cool but it's not necessarily the case for other people.
Old 2009-05-27, 10:06   Link #14
Ziziphus
Whatever

I just remembered...
One of the main reasons I love Ed so much after watching the 1st anime was that he's very close to our real life. "Maybe, he could be someone among us", like that!
One great thing about the original anime is they made a link between "alchemy world' and 'our world'. Once passing through the gate alchemists can't do alchemy anymore, they live a normal life just like everyone. So after the end of 1st anime and the movie (well I myself loved the movie ), I kept dreaming of Ed being somewhere in our world, living as happily as he should. In fact, there's an OVA realizing my dream in which Ed had become a grandfather with cute grandchildren.
Not sure if anyone would understand that but my point is not many main characters can give me such a feeling. I may love them but never imagine them being in our life (Naruto for example - oh but he's not my favorite).
(I wanted to express my feelings more clearly but my lack of vocabulary didn't allow me to!)
Old 2009-05-27, 15:27   Link #15
KaoruLia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
edit: Although I will say my favorite joke concerning Ed is not his height issue but his art skills, especially the way he makes things out of alchemy. Ed thinks his style is very cool but it's not necessarily the case for other people.
LOL! I was thinking of the same thing too! Gotta love his idea of taste XD

Of course, my favourite running gag of him is getting pulverized by Winry everytime they meet.... The chainsaw scene was epic!

By the way... I liked both versions of Ed, manga and first anime. The anime had him as the woobie -- I always wanted to pick him up and hug him because he was just so sad all of the time! Even in the movie, where's he's supposed to be 19. But manga Ed had him snarky, sarcastic and slightly rebellious. Both versions are good, but I'll have to say I prefer manga Ed just by a little bit. Because he makes 'BADASS' creations through alchemy ;P
Old 2009-05-28, 17:05   Link #16
anime"angel"
angel

I am a fan of Edward Elric.....

though he gets mad about his height, thats what i like about him, he's short!
Old 2009-05-28, 17:11   Link #17
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I've been short in height all my life, so i personally know how Ed feels. Oh how the short jokes never stopped back in high school.
Old 2009-05-28, 22:34   Link #18
Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I've been short in height all my life, so i personally know how Ed feels. Oh how the short jokes never stopped back in high school.
You're not alone there bud. :]
Although I wouldn't consider 5'7" to be that short; there was a guy who was 5'5'', but the little bugger always added in his spiked hair so he always claimed he was taller. =/

Oh yeah, I'm going off-topic. What can I say? Everything that needs to be said has been said by everyone above.
Old 2009-05-29, 12:46   Link #19
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who View Post
You're not alone there bud. :]
Although I wouldn't consider 5'7" to be that short; there was a guy who was 5'5'', but the little bugger always added in his spiked hair so he always claimed he was taller. =/
Kinda like Ed's antenna then.
Old 2009-05-29, 16:48   Link #20
libba
nepenthes rajah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I think his style is very cool. That throne from the artbook was a masterpiece!
Closed Thread

Tags
full metal alchemist