AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2012-11-13, 16:14   Link #841
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Correct, and actually while it is technically a "good end", it really isn't. It's more like a feel good ending that turns into a realization of horror.
I thought the tea party ending ended with all the girls happily enjoying tea and cake at Mami's place. What "realization of horror" are you talking about?
Old 2012-11-13, 16:27   Link #842
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I thought the tea party ending ended with all of them happily enjoying tea and cake at Mami's place. What "realization of horror" are you talking about?
The link Saintess posted, if that's the "perfect" ending, just ends with them defeating WN and collecting the grief seed. Sure, they're all together....but the seed isn't going to last forever even if they try to use their magic sparingly. Which we know isn't in Kyubey's interest. Eventually, they will become Witches.
Old 2012-11-13, 16:42   Link #843
00Coyote

The other possible ending would be Homulilly and Gretchen Kriemhild, together forever, happily destroying all the bad things they see.

Which would be a thing of beauty, especially once they reach the Incubator homeworld.
00Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-13, 17:33   Link #844
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post
Are the movies still playing in theaters anywhere in the states? I really want to watch them now, but I think it's too late for that.
Here:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...tle-pittsburgh
Old 2012-11-13, 18:06   Link #845
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
The link Saintess posted, if that's the "perfect" ending, just ends with them defeating WN and collecting the grief seed. Sure, they're all together....but the seed isn't going to last forever even if they try to use their magic sparingly. Which we know isn't in Kyubey's interest. Eventually, they will become Witches.
WN isn't the only witch. They can keep hunting other witches as usual afterwards. Besides this is meant to be a true happy ending. That's why the subtitle is "fate can be changed".
Old 2012-11-13, 18:09   Link #846
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
We've had this discussion before. Either way the number of witches will thin out in the area, best case scenario, and that's dangerous as hell.

And there's no guarantee Madoka won't contract later in life.
Old 2012-11-13, 18:36   Link #847
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
And there's no guarantee Madoka won't contract later in life.
That story ends with everyone happy and the assertion that fate could be changed. You're entitled to think whatever you want about what will happen afterwards, but the game itself doesn't hint that something bad will happen or anything like that. All the opposite actually, it goes to great lengths to make it clear this is a true happy ending.
Old 2012-11-13, 20:38   Link #848
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Oh shit, so they're doing a showing in Seattle after all. However, they're doing it right in the middle of Finals season. Man, I seriously do want to go, but don't know if I can afford sacrificing an entire day for the roadtrip during that period. It would've been great if they had held extended showings for a couple weeks instead of so many of the showings just being a one-time thing.

I would've totally missed the announcement if it weren't for this thread, though. lol, so in any case, thanks for passing the news along.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-13, 22:39   Link #849
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Damm I missed the L.A. screening since it was the nearest one.

For those that watched the movie, how much further were the scenes refined, changed, or altered from the BD version? Is the last battle more refined than ever before?
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-13, 22:58   Link #850
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Same visible effects as ever (subtly, not sure)
Old 2012-11-14, 02:02   Link #851
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Quote:
That story ends with everyone happy and the assertion that fate could be changed. You're entitled to think whatever you want about what will happen afterwards, but the game itself doesn't hint that something bad will happen or anything like that. All the opposite actually, it goes to great lengths to make it clear this is a true happy ending.
That doesn't mean anything, though. Because we're not given any proper assurance that it is so, and can easily just be a fanservice ending that doesn't fully consider the ramifications of its aftermath.

It wouldn't be the first Urobuchi ending to have this problem.
Old 2012-11-14, 02:21   Link #852
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
true happy ending? Can I say half full glass?
Old 2012-11-14, 07:26   Link #853
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
I think it's a happy ending for Madoka, although it's rooted in blissful ignorance really. As such, I think it's a successful ending for Homura (which is all that Homura reasonably expects and hopes for at this point).

But without finding some mechanism through which Soul Gems are cleansed without needing Grief Seeds, it is hard to imagine the Puella Magi of this ending lasting very long. The best case scenario is that they get a few generally happy years before dying in battle as Puella Magi.

It might be fair to call this Homura's happy ending.
Old 2012-11-14, 11:24   Link #854
maximilianjenus
[E]

generally speaking the reason true end are preferred over happy endings is that true ends usually have the characters grow up and mature and while the world is in a worse state overall in a true end than in a happy end, the characters in a true end are on a better, more mature state.
just compare the cinderella with he little mermaid, while the cinderella could be said to be a happy end cinderella never matures or learns anything, so the moment something goes wrong instead of "happily ever after" you can expect things to go really bad, on the other hand the little mermaid learns a lot about love and self sacrifice, so even if anything bad happens later she can easily cope with it.
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-14, 11:31   Link #855
Kazu-kun

Quote:
That doesn't mean anything, though. Because we're not given any proper assurance that it is so, and can easily just be a fanservice ending that doesn't fully consider the ramifications of its aftermath.
I think we're not supposed to think there are more ramifications that those mentioned on-screen. Does that mean it's just a fanservice ending? Maybe it is. Maybe the whole game is fanservice....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
It might be fair to call this Homura's happy ending.
Well, it is Homura's route, and her goal was always to save Madoka. It's also the best ending this game allows, the "true ending", if you will, since Homura's the protagonist in the game.

Anyway, I think what makes this ending worthwhile even accounting for the "ramification", as AuraTwilight put it, is that in this route all the girls chose to fight alongside Homura even though they knew everything about the magical girls becoming witches and so on. They chose to hope even knowing their eventual fate might not be so bright. Now If you think about it, even the anime series was never about changing the system and whatnot; Madoka made such a wish because she wanted to give the magical girls hope. Well, in this game, Homura manages to do just that. Of course, the scope is smaller, just the few girls she knows. But it doesn't change the fact that Homura gave them hope and this "changed their fate". I think that's the point, of this game and maybe of the whole franchise. It's all about hope.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2012-11-14 at 11:41.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-14, 14:42   Link #856
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

We agree on that much, atleast.

I just don't believe that particular ending gives anything but false hope, personally.
Old 2012-11-14, 20:03   Link #857
Kazu-kun

Quote:
I just don't believe that particular ending gives anything but false hope, personally.
Can hope be false anyway? I'm no sure about that. You hope when you're not certain about what the future will bring. If you know for sure that everything's going to be okay then you don't need to hope....
Old 2012-11-14, 20:33   Link #858
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

That gets into some philosophical arguments too deep for this threat. I define 'false hope' as being hope built on false pretenses. Let's leave it at that.
Old 2012-11-14, 22:59   Link #859
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Can hope be false anyway? I'm no sure about that. You hope when you're not certain about what the future will bring. If you know for sure that everything's going to be okay then you don't need to hope....
Hope is optimism about something uncertain. Cynicism is the pessimistic opposite of hope. Pragmatism is the person who hopes for the best, and plans for the worst.

Which is why I keep this awesome comic handy for linking: http://forums.animesuki.com/picture....ictureid=39122
Old 2012-11-14, 23:16   Link #860
Dr. Casey

Optimists are just people that are clever enough to see a solution to any given problem, pessimists are those who aren't.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
madoka magica, movie