Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-08-06, 22:18   Link #1
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Fantastic Children (Devil Children)

If this really is going to be Devil Children I'm so HAPPY.I love this show its so COOL and the songs are kick ass too >.< Does anyone else know about this show?

http://animeintro.cjb.net/ has it in their library of clips under "D"

Last edited by Leo_Otaku; 2004-08-06 at 22:33.
Old 2004-08-07, 10:19   Link #2
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku
If this really is going to be Devil Children I'm so HAPPY.I love this show its so COOL and the songs are kick ass too >.< Does anyone else know about this show?

http://animeintro.cjb.net/ has it in their library of clips under "D"

Errr no. Fantastic Children is a new anime that will be airing in October, animated by Nihon Animation. It has nothing to do with Shin Megami Tensei or Devil Children... whatever gave you that idea?
Old 2004-08-07, 16:07   Link #3
jennwenn

I thought this was Devil Children too. The press releases seemed to indicate it was...Maybe a little searching is in order to figure this out...
Old 2004-08-07, 16:44   Link #4
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

It's seems odd to me that 4-KIDS had never bothered to license Shin Megami Tensei Devil Children for an American broadcast by the time America got the Pokemon fever first, following the Digimon fever afterwards, and right now the YuGiOh fever plus any other shows featuring kids with monsters, robots, or card monster fighting that came along between the years 1999 to 2003, following close behind the fame that those three previous shows mentioned above have achieved from the American interest.
Old 2004-08-09, 21:35   Link #5
Melazoma

Send a message via AIM to Melazoma
Fantastic Children Japanese Official Website Up

For people who can read Japanese, or just want to look at the purdy pictures, or both.
http://www.f-children.com/
Oh and if a Mod happens to pass by, would you please change the title of this thread so that people won't get confused anymore? Fantastic Children is not (Shin) Megami Tensei: Devil Children.
Old 2004-08-10, 06:24   Link #6
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

This does look intresting. The creator is Takashi Nakamura who was the key animator on Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind and the art director is Nizo Yamamoto who's worked on a whole load of Ghibli films. With that kind of pedigree it has big potetional. The art looks very familiar with the same Miyazaki influence in the characters and flying machines.

Also reminds me of Secret of the Cerulean Sand which is great, because there aren't enough fantasy adventure series of that ilk these days...
Old 2004-09-05, 17:33   Link #7
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Finally a trailer for Fantastic Children. Looks very promising, if you like Miyazaki-esque anime
Old 2004-10-06, 04:08   Link #8
stpehen
kisses for all

Fantastic Children

Watched the first episode, and was duly impressed and intrigued. When I'd heard this show was a part of the Shin Megami Tensei franchise, I was slightly worried because some of the more recent games have been veering toward the Pokemon/marketing genre. That might still be the case for this show (I didn't bother to read up on it or visit the website) but if so, you can't tell after one episode, because as far as first episodes go, this is maybe the most all-over-the-place example I've ever seen. Scenes span three different times and places, from 1853 to 2012, with little to tie them together. Lots of stuff just doesn't make sense, in an intentional way.

I find the character design to be really plain and perhaps somewhat childish (no pun intended). But the story itself looks to be rather dark, although again, it's hard to say because they don't really tell you anything in the first episode. At any rate it's a keeper for me, and a welcome surprise in what has so far been a weak season for me. Bandai has the makings of a winner.
Old 2004-10-06, 04:32   Link #9
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

I don't think it's related to Shin Megami Tensei? I feel it has some Ghibli style in the animation department, good animation quality IMO

The story starts intriguing to say the least, and seems very ambitious too, wonder where it's going...
Old 2004-10-06, 04:33   Link #10
wao
OK.

Wasn't this created and largely done by Takashi Nakamura, who did the Key Animation for Nausicaa as well as directed A Tree of Palme, and did the background art / was chief animator for Akira? Whatever it is I get the impression he's pretty good and I'm not surprised if the character designs seem... Ghibli-ish.

Anyone gone to the main site, http://www.f-children.com ? It's got a pretty neat flash thing where different letters of "Fantastic Children" on the right get coloured when you rollover different buttons. Nice, compared to the usual overly flashy flash...
Old 2004-10-06, 05:05   Link #11
stpehen
kisses for all

You're right. After checking the credits, Takashi Nakamura is listed as "creator (gensaku)," "character design" and "director." I'm not sure if I would describe the art as Ghibli-like, but after wracking my brains for a bit I realized that it reminded me somewhat of Now and Then, Here and There. Which is a good thing, I suppose. Perhaps FC will be the second show to teach me that an intelligent story can hide behind an unassuming facade.
Old 2004-10-06, 06:43   Link #12
FlyByNite

Looking at the detail animation in some preview pics it's not hard to guess why it's licensed early. They probably needed the American backer to be able to afford to produce it
Old 2004-10-06, 16:04   Link #13
Secca
nya`
*Artist

This remind me that I should never judge a book by the cover. When I saw this tittle I tought it was some kind of super hero cartoon like X-men. When I actually sit down and watch it, I was dead wrong, this is more like Miyazaki story telling style. The character design is very simple and old school, specially one of the children with the giant nose, I haven't seen those since 009 and one of those old animes. ^^

The story is quite confusing in the begining, since this jump in right away to the plot. They were showing about the children who I'm not quite sure yet. They all looks so mysterious always wearing black cape. And they all have white hair and blue eyes. They travel alot and doesn't age. I think they were looking for someone name Christina.

Christina on the other hand is different from the children, she age normally and she died like normal human being. But something interesting we can find out about her character based on the ending song that she is reborn again 100 years after she died.

Christina 1721-1759
Serafine 1859-1901
Helga 2001-

At the curent time line, she will be around 11 years old and the story has just began.

Last edited by Secca; 2004-10-06 at 16:35.
Old 2004-10-07, 05:55   Link #14
wao
OK.

Wow, I must say I am impressed after watching the first episode. This is definitely a keeper for me.

The character designs seemed really simple and sometimes awkward at points, but the plus point is that it contrasts with the mysterious surroundings and atmosphere and I personally think that is very interesting. Also, the benefit of the simple character designs is that you get this certain feeling that makes you empathize with them more for some reason (well, for me) and also, they are easier to animate.

The animation was great overall, the expression and movements were subtly but very effectively used to express emotion - the voice acting was also wonderful, IMO, it matched up well. (Although I profess I only know about 30% max of what was said... and even that much, I am only sure of about 30% of that 30%)

The backgrounds were pretty good, the OP sequence clouds were really great IMO.

The bg music was fitting, not particularly dull or bland either. The OP was also definitely fitting and I think it will grow on me very much, wihle the ED was a very nice song from Origa (I'm sure you know her), composed and arranged by Kunihiko Ryo (creator of the wonderful Juuni Kokki OSTs).

The story and premise/background/atmosphere/what have you itself is what makes this a definite keeper. Starting with various seemingly unrelated but equally, genuinely mysterious events that span centuries, and reactions of the Children that make you really want to know "wth is going on", as well as that mysterious, mysterious picture and all of that, and the opening and the words in the ending.... The Children themselves also look like they could be very interesting.

I really think at least from the first ep, we can expect some awesome stuff... I can't wait for the next ep.

And yes, when I first saw the webpage I thought "oh geez, what a kiddy show, I'm almost certainly avoiding this" - what a classic case of judging the book by its cover. While I think children would greatly enjoy this, at the timeslot it's airing (25:30 (in other words, 1:30 am)!! Unbelieveable) , I don't think it's meant for that purpose, and it's got a lot more that adults can appreciate and enjoy.

There is more information/backstory on the official site. I'd dearly love to try understanding it but that'll have to wait 2 weeks...
Old 2004-10-21, 01:21   Link #15
Budweineken
Crap

Fantastic Children

Sorry for starting a new thread for this anime... but the other one was calling it Devil Children so it seemed inappropiate to continue discussion in that thread...

BTW I just watched episode 1 subbed... Pretty good first episode...Im looking forward for more... The story seems very interesting and creepy at times... two thumbs up for now...

Any one has watched it?

Edit: I thought i had posted a new thread... apparently i didnt... but it's ok... anyone has seen it yet?

Last edited by Budweineken; 2004-10-21 at 03:02.
Old 2004-10-22, 19:24   Link #16
Guts

Send a message via AIM to Guts Send a message via Yahoo to Guts
Thumbs up

This is the most badass non-action anime i've seen to date. The characters are just sweet, the antagonists & the protagonists are not discenable, yet i'll assume the kids in black are not the good guys for obvious reasons . The animation is lovely, it's early 90's animated style which is more lifelike than some googly eye'ed sloth with blue hair. (cookie cookie). In the first episode I felt for both partys, the good & the bad, as they have both seen loses. What is amazing tho, is how they handle the situations like adults. This is definitely not a kids anime, the information is fast and subtile at some points.

I'm buying this one.
Old 2004-10-23, 07:19   Link #17
Budweineken
Crap

By no means I think this is a non action anime... the first episode had it's fair amount of action and im sure that it will pick up in the episodes to come...

The character design reminds me alot of Detective Conan (maybe same character designer?)...

Posible spoilers (not really this are just some generalizations so you are pretty safe to read)

Spoiler:
Old 2004-10-23, 09:01   Link #18
Secca
nya`
*Artist

I want the CD for the opening and ending song. ^^ Who is the singer? Great voice.
Old 2004-10-23, 09:36   Link #19
wao
OK.

The OP is sung by "Inori", the ED is sung by Origa, of GITS OP/ED theme song fame. I believe she also sang the theme song for Princess Arete. Origa is a Russian, iirc. The ED song was also arranged and composed by Kunihiko Ryo, composer of the (excellent, IMO) Juuni Kokki soundtracks.
Old 2004-10-27, 17:43   Link #20
sixthsense

Just watched the second episode and like stpehen, I thought there were several aspects which reminded me of Now and Then, Here and There. Seeing the girl on the train was like seeing LalaRu (without the blue), then Thoma's attitude to trying to find her reminded of Shu. And also, the synopsis seems similar to NTHT, which was actually the last series I watched. (There I was thinking it was just my subconsious)

Anyhow, I feel FC has a lot of potential. The first couple of eps require some concentration, and so many questions which can only be a good thing in terms of story. The OP/Ed suits the overall feel, although the background music hasnt stood out so far. Overall, definitely one to keep an eye on.
Closed Thread