AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

Old 2007-11-12, 11:20   Link #141
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Send a message via ICQ to iamandragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRJustman View Post
Actually, from what has been said elsewhere, the widescreen version of the series is actually NOT HD, but have been upscaled from an SD original. So while the picture quality is still pretty decent, it's not on par with actual HD in terms of detail level and crispness.

--Ian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity7 View Post
Well, there's your Wikipedia articles if you want, but SD generally refers to 480i/p while HD refers to the 720p and 1080i/p standards. It's not clear whether or not CLANNAD was animated in HD or not, but at the moment, the current airing uses SD and has an upscale that BS-i uses to maintain an "HD" broadcast, albeit not native.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standar...ion_television
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_television
Dizzy dizzy dizzy. I'm really no good when it comes to computers...
iamandragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-12, 12:35   Link #142
velocity7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
...I would severely prefer the original credits and for the opening notes to be soft-subbed, but thus far their subtitles have been superior enough to overcome my aversion to those.
Well, half the reason why the opening notes are hard-subbed is because I don't like the idea of pirates taking the episode, burning it onto DVD and selling it on the market or something. This deters that idea and forces them to use other subs, if any at all.

Also, we use a specific font that was used for the game on the non-credit OP/ED. And with the majority of fonts, particularly obscure ones as this one, there are copyright issues that could come up.

Mind you guys, I do plan on re-using this font for the game translation on specific scenes, so look forward to that.
Old 2007-11-12, 14:37   Link #143
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamandragon View Post
Dizzy dizzy dizzy. I'm really no good when it comes to computers...
In short... standard definition broadcasts can be widescreen, too, and the sad truth is that many HD broadcasts are just upscaled versions of widescreen standard definition broadcasts.

If you have any questions about how that works or the tech involved, drop me a PM.

Quote:
Well, half the reason why the opening notes are hard-subbed is because I don't like the idea of pirates taking the episode, burning it onto DVD and selling it on the market or something. This deters that idea and forces them to use other subs, if any at all.

Also, we use a specific font that was used for the game on the non-credit OP/ED. And with the majority of fonts, particularly obscure ones as this one, there are copyright issues that could come up.

Mind you guys, I do plan on re-using this font for the game translation on specific scenes, so look forward to that.
I absolutely understand your reasoning, and I figured that was probably why. Please don't think that me saying something is not to my personal taste means I'm complaining, because I'm not.

I do think the OP and ED look great with that font, actually. I'm just one of the weird ones that likes the original credits, but I'll get over myself. The great job that's been done on the anime subs has gives me a tremendous amount of confidence in the upcoming release of the game translation. I wish I could do more to help, but I'm afraid of helping proof/edit, for fear of spoilers. I figure there will be more opportunity to help out later, though (Linux port, etc.).

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-12, 18:06   Link #144
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Quote:

That's just dirty, selling subs to others. I've heard sometimes even the official companies does that? (heard that a.f.k. subs are always the victim...no?)

By the way again, what are hard subs? If there are hard subs, are there long subs?
Old 2007-11-12, 21:25   Link #145
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
That's just dirty, selling subs to others. I've heard sometimes even the official companies does that? (heard that a.f.k. subs are always the victim...no?)

By the way again, what are hard subs? If there are hard subs, are there long subs?
Yeah, selling fansubs is where the practice goes from "harmless gray area" to "wrong". At that point, it becomes outright theft. I've seen bootlegs for sale before, but never identified resold fansubs... but since I've never watched a bootleg DVD, I really wouldn't know what groups are the culprits.
I suppose it's better for my blood pressure that I've never had the opportunity to confront any one for it.

As for hard subs and soft subs:
Hard subs (as in "hard-coded") are where the subtitles are encoded as part of the video itself. They're "always on", but it has the advantages of the subtitles being viewable on more systems and allowing the subbers greater control over the final appearance.
Soft subs, on the other hand, have the subtitle data separate from the video, so not only can they be turned off and on, but they can be changed more easily. Different players have different levels of support for the various subtitling formats, though, which makes compatibility hard. People with slow CPUs also sometimes have problems with the extra load of overlaying the subtitles onto the video.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 16:22   Link #146
SnakeLegend
Back Again From Haruhiism

Send a message via MSN to SnakeLegend
Whoa talking about videos now @_@

Can someone tell me about
Spoiler:
SnakeLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 17:07   Link #147
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeLegend View Post
Whoa talking about videos now @_@

Can someone tell me about
Spoiler:
Unfortunately, you've only managed to spot the unimportant parts, there's no need to put the answers in spoiler tags. Here's the answers.

1. Because that's the setting
2. You're asking the right question in the reverse direction. . The correct way of asking is 'why is she appearing?' and 'would the OTHERS still regain...'
3. There are no After episodes. Related topic: After Story. If that's your question, it is very important then. PM me again for the HEAVY spoiler.
Old 2007-11-17, 19:50   Link #148
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Something I've been thinking about;

Why does Tomoya have no qualms addressing Kyou by the more intimate form of her given name, but addresses Ryou in the more polite form of "Fujibayashi"? It doesn't look like there's a particular difference between how Tomoya views either of the sisters...
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 23:56   Link #149
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post

Why does Tomoya have no qualms addressing Kyou by the more intimate form of her given name, but addresses Ryou in the more polite form of "Fujibayashi"? It doesn't look like there's a particular difference between how Tomoya views either of the sisters...
Except Ryou wouldn't pound him for some perceived slight.

Anyway, I think that perhaps since Ryou is class rep Tomoya shows a little deference... then again Kyou might have an "opinion" on that and also probably doesn't give a wit how she's addressed, either. (from one who isn't familiar with the game)

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-18, 00:23   Link #150
SnakeLegend

Lol why didn't the Fujibayashi sisters just take the initiative to go out with him XD
Old 2007-11-18, 00:39   Link #151
dgreater1
Misuzu & Kotomi Protector

Quote:

From what I know, Asian people tend to address the other party through their family name unless they both have an agreement that they could call each other through their first name or the other party tells its alright to call them through such method, specially in Schools (remember, always happens most at school). Heck, even my close friends from school calls me by my Family Name (since I didn't really tell them to call me through my nick name or first name)
dgreater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-18, 01:09   Link #152
SnakeLegend

Well more like for the japanese only.
They mostly use the 'surname' of the family to address the others as a sign of formality and respect.
Unless you've know the person far enough to address him/her as (Last Name)-chan/kun/tan/chun.

For my family, it's a formality to call others we knew by surnames, adding a Mr/Mrs/Miss, unless we asked for permission to use their mid or last name as addressee.

Formality, I guess.
Old 2007-11-18, 01:29   Link #153
eMpTy265
<unranked>

Quote:

The answer of that lies in the serialized 'another episode' short stories, namely Kyou's short story depicting her 2nd year of school being in Tomoya's class.
In the story, Kyou tells Tomoya to refer to her as Kyou as opposed to Fujibayashi, since she has a twin sister (Ryou). Simply put, it's just her way of interacting with the guys, and it forms her outgoing personality.

So while Ryou didn't meet Tomoya (officially) until third year(?), Kyou's known Tomoya for quite a while.

(Of course, there's the story about how Ryou met Tomoya, and that's pretty cute also)

BTW, I apologize for the delay for Sunohara's interview file... been having issues in RL as of late. I'll try to get it done soon.
eMpTy265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-18, 03:53   Link #154
amoirsp

As empty stated, the naming conventions are derived from second year familiarity. Unfortunately, the anime does not state this, mainly because it is smaller information. It is also not story significant, so stating the 2nd year familiarity is merely implied, though from the anime alone there's nothing directly stating this.

The other evidence you can notice from this is also Sunohara familiarity. However, based on the scenes you see Sunohara and Kyou, it doesn't depict the idea of previously being classmates at all. Not to mention I don't recall she specifically saying Youhei (though she does/would normally).

Come to think of it, did the anime specifically state they're twins? They made it extremely obvious with the grade year and all (and similar look/height/dress-style), but unless they stated it specifically, you could have the indirect misconception that it's elder and younger sister simply because the characters are clearly formatted in that manner, rather than specifically twins (especially when in at least Japan, despite being twins, you still use elder and younger notation).

And of course, when the two sisters refer to each other normally, they obviously don't use the word "twin" on reference (it's either older sister, younger sister, or Ryou). I recall a friend asked this, so it's possible the anime didn't actually say they're twins (and I have no recollection of the specific statement at the moment, especially when so far the Fujibayashi sisters are rather minour currently).

Come to think of it, a lot of details are truncated. But on the anime alone, you notice that Tomoya actually calls quite a number of girls by first name (and funny since the anime displays his familiarity with other girls, but doesn't necessarily use name calling.) Well, Fujibayashi is the obvious case of no first name usage. And then you have Furukawa which is majority last name based (and then you have Miyazawa, whose frequency is not high enough to really matter on naming). Unfortunately the basis for the familiarity for many of the girls is currently rather slim (anyone not named Ibuki or Furukawa, and even then, it's still slim)

Wow, come to think of it, there's quite a bit of detachment. No wonder even the Fujibayashi twin name calling can be something of wonder.

Not to forget the *other* format of distinguishing (aside from first/last name and hamster/gorilla) hasn't been utilized yet, probably because the current state of the anime isn't undergoing Fujibayashi emphasis. Though, visually it is obvious, so it's not like lacking such statement would do anything bad.

Well, I still find the chronology of the anime weird, even if I completely ignore the game. (Like sure, many of the characters were introduced, but the impact of relevance of a select few doesn't have much basis currently at all. But oh well, I won't rant of anything.)

Though it is entirely possible that the anime might never mention the second year thing. In the game it was just "she was a classmate of mine in second year." (hm oh wait, did they mention that? I really don't remember!) Well, it's not story changing, it's just a previous history notation to pre-establish character to character familiarity. (if it wasn't obvious already, Tomoya seems to "meet" most of the girls, so only a select few are known beforehand, such as Misae, and that's due to Sunohara familiarity.)

Hm I went off tangent, oh well.
amoirsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-18, 08:08   Link #155
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Quote:

Tomoya knew Kyou from a long time ago. And they were in the same class in the previous year so they got friendly enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgreater1 View Post
From what I know, Asian people tend to address the other party through their family name unless they both have an agreement that they could call each other through their first name or the other party tells its alright to call them through such method, specially in Schools (remember, always happens most at school). Heck, even my close friends from school calls me by my Family Name (since I didn't really tell them to call me through my nick name or first name)
Only for Japanese I think? In China people call people by their full name(family name AND first name), and if they're friendly enough they only call them by their name. Even more friendly people we add 'xiao' before their name in some cases., that's an equivalent to -chan in Japanese.

To amoirsp: How do you get the 'another story'? Is it in CLANNAD the game? Or do you have to buy a seperate CD for that?
Old 2007-11-18, 08:26   Link #156
dgreater1
Misuzu & Kotomi Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamandragon
Only for Japanese I think? In China people call people by their full name(family name AND first name), and if they're friendly enough they only call them by their name. Even more friendly people we add 'xiao' before their name in some cases., that's an equivalent to -chan in Japanese.
Make that two then, Philippines... but like I said, in here, it only happens most of the time in school (particularly universities). But I'm not denying it doesn't happen outside the school, because classmates meets outside as well. This kind of address probably happens because the teacher always address the students via their family name :3
dgreater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-18, 22:01   Link #157
amoirsp

Quote:
Tomoya knew Kyou from a long time ago. And they were in the same class in the previous year so they got friendly enough.

To amoirsp: How do you get the 'another story'? Is it in CLANNAD the game? Or do you have to buy a seperate CD for that?
1) I don't have another story, I only heard of it. Though the way empty described it would sound like a component I would expect from such a ... book? I thought it was like a novel or something, so I don't even know if it's comprised of pictures or text, but one could easily guess something such as second year familiarity would likely be depicted in such a source.

2) It's not in the game. The game vaguely mentions it. I just like the Kyou second year familiarity because in terms of "past history prior to setting of game" or "girl character of familiarity", Kyou would be in that setting best. In Clannad, Kyou is a favourite character in terms of ... daily occurrences? Like in absolutely normal settings (which is why in the anime, a friend liked the Fujibayashi sisters comparatively, due to the normalcy. This is aka, good support characters.)

3) No idea if it's a CD. I would love to read about the contents of it though.

Since the whole Kyou familiarity is already incorporated and isn't drama correlated, this isn't spoiler. I just like this portion particularly, since I think Kyou is the best incorporated character (meaning she's included in some events, but not necessarily a primary character, since her comedy and support rates are better balanced than other characters.). Though, this might just be what people call tsundere favouritism.

I wouldn't be surprised if I went to Taiwan some summer later, saw clannad on TV, and hear something along the lines of "small apricot". Lol, Tomoya would be "peng ye", hahahaha.
Old 2007-11-30, 05:57   Link #158
Tworble

This is a Seinen? That's it, I'm marrying a japanese guy, lol!

Do alot of guys like this show? It is a smart and funny show so I don't see why they wouldn't. I couldn't get my brothers interested though, they like the "hack and slash" stuff.
Tworble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-30, 10:58   Link #159
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tworble View Post
This is a Seinen? That's it, I'm marrying a japanese guy, lol!

Do alot of guys like this show? It is a smart and funny show so I don't see why they wouldn't. I couldn't get my brothers interested though, they like the "hack and slash" stuff.
Japanese girls are very nice but the guys are the complete opposite. I won't marry one if I am you.

And I know...guys are all just like that...I don't see how shows like bl**ch and ***dam are interesting--the first 10 episodes or so are okay but it just gets repetitive and frames re-used over and over again: boring.
Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy action shows like Full Metal Panic every once in a while but at least the main characters are fighting with a reasonable enough reason.

P.S. I'm making my brother watch CLANNAD and if he ever sound one complain I am going to put him through some punishment, hee hee hee...
Old 2007-11-30, 16:14   Link #160
amoirsp

I wouldn't exactly say it's Seinen. Well, maybe the game, but I would definitely think the anime is toned down in that regard (unless Kyoani goes completely unrestrictive, and at least they've used some components so far). But then again, the other demographic possibilities would be less accurate (it's more seinen than shounen, shoujo, kodomo, or josei).

Maybe I find it slightly ironic because it's all ages. The game was all ages, and Kyoani all ages'd anything key. Though it's more like it's between seinen and all ages, as there are things far more all ages (like non-mature themes) and there are definitely other things far more seinen (mature themes aren't to that high of a degree).

Then again that probably explains why I like it. Within the past two years or so, the anime/manga/game that worked best for my preferences have more or less been seinen, but that's just a demographic, but the genres are similar (drama, romance, ecchi, comedy, fantasy harem, it varies since there are interesting ways and not so interesting ways).

I like this show, and of the girls I know uh they don't watch anime, so only the guys that I know that try a large pool of anime would attempt this, but they didn't bother with kanon, so I wouldn't say a lot (though hm, they like gundam, so it's a bit too easy to say not a lot).

Yeah something like that.