AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2006-07-25, 19:18   Link #61
Renge
smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiya Kasai
1.Black people in anime
yoruichi from bleach is black
Renge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-26, 03:50   Link #62
Mephisto2k
anime4life

What i think is wierd is that teenager rarely drink alcohol in anime. Even when making a party in most anime and manga they just drink juice and this looks so rediculous and utopianal in a Germans point of view where we are allowed to drink alcohol with the age of 18 and start drinking around 14-15 without any problems. Im not sure at which age Japanese teenagers are allowed to drink though. And when there finally someone in some anime acctually drinks he will get drunk in no time by just drinking 1 or 2 cups of wine. It is allways like that and i think its so wierd. I guess anime companies dont want or are strongly prohabited from supporting consum of alcohol and in case it is really an accurate portrait of Japanese people, then i had to say once again..."Japanese society is wierd".
Mephisto2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-26, 06:11   Link #63
Sana chan
Kisssub Translator
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephisto2k
And when there finally someone in some anime acctually drinks he will get drunk in no time by just drinking 1 or 2 cups of wine.
You don't know many Japanese people do you?

Seriously, I haven't drank a single bottle of beer without throwing up. While I'm an extreme case, it is generally acknowledged that Asian people have a lower alcohol tolerance, so I'm not really surprised about this not showing up in anime.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_flush_reaction - the picture in this is somewhat amusing.

While I can forgive VA's for not being able to speak second languages well, it bothers me that there are hardly any anime that do foreign accents (in both English and Japanese dubs).

Jubei-chan 2 has the Russian girl speaking with a rather generically American accent (which is actually surprisingly well done, but it's still the wrong accent!), while the Kaleidostar Japanese dub has everyone speaking rather generic Tokyo Japanese and the English dub has Sarah speaking with a British accent but Sora speaking flawlessly in American English. Stuff like that.
Sana chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-26, 10:29   Link #64
Lotiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renge
Yoruichi is black skin. But her name should be Japanese.
Lotiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-26, 11:24   Link #65
Maxon
Demon Hunter

Send a message via MSN to Maxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroni
A psychotic/violent main character, perhap?.
I think there are plenty of those.

For example, Lucy from Elfen Lied. The little girl in the wheelchair from Elfen Lied as well.
Maxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-07, 13:28   Link #66
horsdhaleine
i miss japan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelmarc
You don't see characters with acne ^^
wow. true. funny i never notice this before... some have freckles but i can be a bit attractive. but i've yet to see an acne-faced anime character...

i just realize that i rarely see any acne-faced person here in japan. or maybe they'Re too good with make-up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renge
is she really black or just dark-skinned? because there are dark-skinned japanese (some natural, some fake)
horsdhaleine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-07, 13:34   Link #67
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephisto2k
What i think is wierd is that teenager rarely drink alcohol in anime. Even when making a party in most anime and manga they just drink juice and this looks so rediculous and utopianal in a Germans point of view where we are allowed to drink alcohol with the age of 18 and start drinking around 14-15 without any problems. Im not sure at which age Japanese teenagers are allowed to drink though. And when there finally someone in some anime acctually drinks he will get drunk in no time by just drinking 1 or 2 cups of wine. It is allways like that and i think its so wierd. I guess anime companies dont want or are strongly prohabited from supporting consum of alcohol and in case it is really an accurate portrait of Japanese people, then i had to say once again..."Japanese society is wierd".
Well, in quite a few cases there are scenes of underage drinking in the original manga or novel that get removed in the anime version. So it seems like it's pretty normal in society, but anime companies don't want to be seen as encouraging it.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-07, 14:57   Link #68
Shounen
Away for good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurz
*Hardly ever or Never seen a Gay Couple.
*BiSexuals which could have a nice Dramic Feel to it.
go watch loveless

and for the "black people" part..
yeah it's rare, but then you have Tenjou Tenge
also there's one in the Full metal panic series.

that's about it...i guess

update:
as for the psychotic/violent part..
nothing beats keade and everyone knows that i think ;D

as for the offtopic part... how strong in "%" (percent) is useally sake?
I'm european, and i cant even drink one bottle of beer without throwing up.
As for the rest it's pretty cool..
Shounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-07, 17:26   Link #69
Nergol

There aren't that many black people in anime because there aren't that many black people in Japan. Japanese shows usually feature Japanese characters. Why wouldn't they?

What's not seen a lot in anime? Women who aren't extremely attractive. And by this I don't necessarily mean ugly girls, but just plain, average ones. Victorian Romance Emma was an exception - very clearly Emma's beauty is on the inside, and that's sort of the point.

I'd kind of like to see more animes in which the plain girl wins out, though.
Nergol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-07, 18:36   Link #70
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
I'd kind of like to see more animes in which the plain girl wins out, though.
Same here, but wishing for this is like wishing there lolis are a minority in anime.

::sigh::

Well, at least the childhood friend (the biggest moe element for me) for a lot of anime isn't nearly as attractive as her rival(s). ^^;

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-07, 18:44   Link #71
Kikaifan
Blazing General

Belfangan Closeaux in FMP is both black and muslim. And the biggest badass in the series. Uruz 1 FTW!
Kikaifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-08, 07:36   Link #72
sedukshun
kimee ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsdhaleine
is she really black or just dark-skinned? because there are dark-skinned japanese (some natural, some fake)

in one of the earlier episodes when ichigo was trying to achieve bankai with yoruichi training him, they were in hot spring and ichigo said "dont sit indian style" when she was sitting naked legs open lolz - it'd be cool if she was indian, woteva she is, she is hot xD
sedukshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-08, 11:22   Link #73
Ending

Just dark skinned, since that is something several times before, unlike pitch black. Truth to tell, you rarely see any other colour than the "native japanese" even in fantasy flicks. I.e: blue, red, white, black, etc... Be it light or dark.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-08, 11:47   Link #74
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Dutch from Black Lagoon is black.
Old 2006-09-08, 13:23   Link #75
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

The thing I haven't seen enough would be an anime rendition of Oshin or things to the likes of it. If anything, that story I don't see getting told. Millennium actress is about as it close as this gets. It's hard enough to find pieces that describe those freshman years at collages and only a bit easier to see the blue collar lead characters.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-09, 09:57   Link #76
Lotiman

Anyone notice that Fast food restaurant in most anime is McDonald alike. Either the name or symbol is almost similar. What I never seen before is the real McDonald in anime.
Lotiman is offline   Reply With Quote