AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-07-14, 13:20   Link #41
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
The current ADV release of Evangelion is 8 discs. That was done in 2000, about 5 years ago. It was originally planned to be 6 discs, but fans threw a fit after the first disc came out and it's believed they had to eat production costs on the 2nd and 3rd discs (since they had done overlays and jitter removal on those as well) and remaster them using the best sources they had.

Their new release of Evangelion using the remastered video will be 7 discs. I imagine they will probably stop pressing the originals after the new release is out, since they'll undoubtedly best them in every way (aside from likely lacking spanish and french audio tracks.)
Old 2004-07-14, 13:35   Link #42
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron Bonne
Sorry, how long has anime been around? Japan doesn't need outside suport to make anime, it can help, but they hardly need it. Most companies don't even think about outside veiwers when making an anime, stop being so full of yourself.

Full of myself because I happen to think that not supporting artists is distasteful? Please don't stoop to personal attacks because you don't have a proper rebuttal.

Also, in addition to what others have already said, your aregument is also flawed in that the anime industry in Japan has grown exponentially in Japan partially due to the growth in popularity overseas. A lot of anime that is made in Japan is directly funded by American companies these days. Did you not realize that? When you see the 'Geneon' logo popping up on a fansub to a show you like, it's not always Geneon Japan. Bidding for anime licenses have also reached huge levels with new heights being reached all the time, and sometimes those licensing agreements include royalties to the Japanese rights holders.

Yet even with all of this, there's a constant fear in Japan's animation industry that the bubble will pop.
Old 2004-07-15, 13:43   Link #43
Tron Bonne
Rockman Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by microlith
If you're referring to R1 dvd prices, we've got the best deal going. Compared to R2 Japan, and possibly most European and Asian releases, our prices are the lowest for more or less everything.

If you define paying $18-$22 for a DVD with 3-6 episodes, or a bit more for a version that includes a box + extras as costing an arm and a leg, I think your perspective is a bit off.

And hell, if you want a cheap series to go watch try picking up ADV's complete collection releases of Soul Hunter or Devil Lady which can be had at best buy for $31.99 for an ENTIRE series (6 discs!)
Where I live anime still cost around $26 to $32 a DVD, with only 4 or 3 on the DVD. I only see old used series cost arout $18 to $22 a DVD, sets cost close to $150 for for 26 ep series, $200 or higher for series higher than 26 eps. I find deals for R2 better than this on online Japanese shop, I have seen R2 DVDs for $12 to $13, it's a load to say R2 DVDs cost so much more, I buy manga bound books for $5 over the net, here it cost $15. I don't pay for what I don't want, an english track, with translations a five your could do better, and subs with errors both in translations and grammer, I expect a good job when I pay for something, not something not much better than a bootleg.
Old 2004-07-15, 14:31   Link #44
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
Quote:
Where I live anime still cost around $26 to $32 a DVD, with only 4 or 3 on the DVD.
Where do you live?

Quote:
I only see old used series cost arout $18 to $22 a DVD, sets cost close to $150 for for 26 ep series, $200 or higher for series higher than 26 eps.
I picked up Wolf's Rain disc 1 the other day for $20 or so, that had 5 eps. Boxed sets average $100-$125 for 26 episode series, but Excel Saga can be had for $60 or so.

Quote:
I find deals for R2 better than this on online Japanese shop, I have seen R2 DVDs for $12 to $13, it's a load to say R2 DVDs cost so much more.
Where? I know of -no- place online that sells R2s for so little. Not even used in Japan do discs sell for that little, unless it's a 1 episode disc or horribly bad.

Quote:
I buy manga bound books for $5 over the net, here it cost $15.
Untranslated I assume. I haven't seen any $15 books of manga except the stuff Studio Proteus puts out (via Dark Horse.) Everything else is $10, namely Del-Rey, Viz, Tokyopop and ADV's stuff.

Quote:
I don't pay for what I don't want, an english track
So you buy R2s? I doubt this based on the prices you mentioned earlier.

Quote:
with translations a five your could do better, and subs with errors both in translations and grammer
I see this a lot in fansubs and bootlegs, less often in legitimate releases. Maybe you're watching bootlegs and thinking them R1 dvds?

Quote:
I expect a good job when I pay for something, not something not much better than a bootleg.
I don't know what you're watching or how much you're paying or even where you are, but it doesn't match anything I've seen lately.
Old 2004-07-19, 19:56   Link #45
Melazoma

Send a message via AIM to Melazoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron Bonne
Where I live anime still cost around $26 to $32 a DVD, with only 4 or 3 on the DVD. I only see old used series cost arout $18 to $22 a DVD, sets cost close to $150 for for 26 ep series, $200 or higher for series higher than 26 eps. I find deals for R2 better than this on online Japanese shop, I have seen R2 DVDs for $12 to $13, it's a load to say R2 DVDs cost so much more, I buy manga bound books for $5 over the net, here it cost $15. I don't pay for what I don't want, an english track, with translations a five your could do better, and subs with errors both in translations and grammer, I expect a good job when I pay for something, not something not much better than a bootleg.
You said that you live in the United States, assuming that you've purchased an R-1 release for 26 to 32 dollars, you've been shopping in the wrong places.
Go to http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com , you can get most ADV single disc new releases(MSRP $30) for as low as 18 Dollars, and ADV special editions with artbox and extras(MSRP $40) for 24 Dollars. The Geneon and Bandai releases are a bit more expensive--roughly 20-23 Dollars for a single disc-- but they are nowhere as pricey as retail(without seasonal discounts, that is). Even better, if you don't live in Illinois, you don't pay salestax and Deepdiscount gives free shipping to the continental U.S.

And honestly, about R-2s, unless the seller is desperate for money, even used, they don't go under $30 each. Any price lower than that is suspicious at best and most likely a bootleg.

There was a "bargain bin" in a Californian Japanese electronics store with 4 brand-new, sealed R-2 R.O.D. the TV DVDs((two episodes each)) marked down from $60 dollars each, the "bargain price" for each was 40 Dollars.
Old 2004-07-20, 00:48   Link #46
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Also, avoid places like Suncoast, they tend to jack up the price a lot. DVD's that sell elswhere for around 20 bucks sell around $30 there.
Old 2004-07-20, 01:22   Link #47
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

( ゚д゚ ) ハァ? Why can't people look at the label on the back before commenting whether it is our Region-2 coded DVD?

I refer you to this thread: http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...55&postcount=9
Old 2004-07-20, 01:58   Link #48
Melazoma

Send a message via AIM to Melazoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
( ゚д゚ ) ハァ? Why can't people look at the label on the back before commenting whether it is our Region-2 coded DVD?

I refer you to this thread: http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...55&postcount=9
Because they may be in denial--to themselves for the most part, that they'd been duped by an unscrupulous merchant.
Closed Thread