Notices

Old 2007-03-03, 21:39   Link #1
dark5205
honey and clover maniac

Send a message via MSN to dark5205
homemade manga

Hi everyone. here is my friends manga.

the story line is about

"The main story is about Axelis, a young man's life, being messed up by his crazy multi-personalitied friends, but the real problem in his life has yet to shed its' mask upon him."

here is the cover pic. hope you comment about it.

hope you guys comment about it. And guys who wants to post your manga here is welcomed.

i will continue the story if many people like the cover pic. (dont want to annoy you guys if you think it is not beautiful)

So please comment about it. Dont mind if it is positive or negative
dark5205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-04, 20:47   Link #2
Slacker

pretty sweet. but tell your friend to look at some manga tutorials on heads; sketching comes before adding the details.
Slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-05, 08:20   Link #3
dark5205
honey and clover maniac

thanks alot. what about the shading. many said he is bad in it
Old 2007-03-05, 18:17   Link #4
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Really nice pic well drawn . Is the chracter developemnet done ? esp Chracter Traits . ^^
Old 2007-03-05, 20:04   Link #5
dark5205
honey and clover maniac

well he was working on the story for past 2 years. and the characters as decided. now it is only to draw the manga.

Thanks for the complement
Old 2007-03-07, 01:11   Link #6
Axelis
Terra Descendant

Send a message via MSN to Axelis
Talking The Mangaka

Moshi moshi, watashiwa, Axelis-san, a.k.a., the mangaka. Arigatougozaimasu for your comments and views of my manga(if its qualified to be one). Geta Boshi, was it? A reply to you, I have all the characters plotted out and characteristics done. Care to hear more?
Axelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-07, 02:14   Link #7
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

As for the art, I've found that, if everything else is good enough, then you'll be forgiven for dodgey art (Elfen Lied comes to mind). The two main problems I noticed were the main(?) character's head, specifically the back of it sloping off a bit abruptly, and the line thickness. If you're serious about this, it may be worthwhile to invest in the proper tools. You'll find it worth the expense of money to obtain them and time spent learning to use them.

As for the actual story, post away.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-07, 07:12   Link #8
Axelis
Terra Descendant

Thanks for the comment! Since I am using two different thickness pens, it wouldn't be a surprise if the line thickness are different....so I guess I should stick to one pen. You mentioned "proper tools", where exactly can I get my hands on them without purchasing them online? I AM still a student, y'know. Plus, what does the first line about 'dodgey art' and whats "Elfen Lied"? I really don't understand......can somebody please explain?
Old 2007-04-09, 06:43   Link #9
A_AQUARE

Has anyone notice that the head size dun really suit the body size(unless u intend 2 draw it that way)?
A_AQUARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 22:53   Link #10
Keirn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelis View Post
Thanks for the comment! Since I am using two different thickness pens, it wouldn't be a surprise if the line thickness are different....so I guess I should stick to one pen. You mentioned "proper tools", where exactly can I get my hands on them without purchasing them online? I AM still a student, y'know. Plus, what does the first line about 'dodgey art' and whats "Elfen Lied"? I really don't understand......can somebody please explain?
Not sure if you've been told already but here's your answers anyways:

By "dodgey art" I'm pretty sure he means "art that needs improvement" or "art that is not that good compared to other manga's"

Elfen Lied is in reference to an anime (might be a manga as well?). I have never seen this, but I assume he means that Elfen Lied's art isn't that good, yet its still a popular anime/manga

As for art supplies, I have no idea. Try a local hobby store. If you live in a more populated area/larger city you should be able to find an Art supply store near you.
Keirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 11:23   Link #11
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
Quote:
Elfen Lied is in reference to an anime (might be a manga as well?). I have never seen this, but I assume he means that Elfen Lied's art isn't that good, yet its still a popular anime/manga
The anime art was very well done. But the Manga art could be much improved. Whomever drew that had absolutely no sense of perspective and head-body size. And that's my understanding of "dodgey art". If you get, for example, many of the doujins that come out every week, most of them are done by amateur artists that really don't know the very basics of drawing. Alright, they can draw two characters hugging eachother, but that doesn't change the fact there's a 90º angle between neck and shoulder and whatever.

Ps.: Oh well, seems like the more advanced volumes of Elfen Lied definitely got a lot of improvement. I'm currently looking at some scans here and it's like "WOW SEXY". And must I remind you that this Manga has everything in it? Like, yuri-grabbing/touching/kissing? Nyuu-chan... * Faints. *

Ehem. But I digress.

Quote:
I've gone over this once months ago in another topic, and I'll do the same in this one and hopefully it'll be interesting and informational to you.

First thing you need in a manga is, well, paper. Good-quality paper such as 90lb paper is preferred by a lot of manga artists, but it all depends. Thing is, when you're inking, it always helps to have a thicker paper so the ink doesn't come through the other side and messes everything else. I, for once, preffer a lower thickness, for the sole fact that I don't ink 90% of my drawings, and I think thicker paper contributes to a lot of the smudging I get from drawing. So I try to stick to 70-or so. Try some different papers and see what suits you best. You probably already know what feels comfortable to you, so stick to it.

Second thing is pens and pencils. My suggestion is that you learn how to use a fountain pen because not only they look a heck lot better, but you can also adjust line thickness by applying more/less pressure on the tip. From your drawing, I assume you're using the Sakura-type of pen, right? I have some of those of my own, but after experimenting with fountain pens such as the G and the Kabura nibs, I came to realize that the Sakuras weren't my thing. With the fountain pen, you get lines that are much more solid, and if you have the needed grip to do long lines without messing anything up, they work perfectly. And even if you do stick to the Sakura pens, I'd suggest using the 0.05/0.1 nibs, since you can adjust line thickness by doing a few more strokes. With the thicker ones, things get a little difficult to control.

Pencils... well, they always help. Of course you can get away with a #2 pencil if that works for you, but if you need to do a lot of detailing in a drawing, you'll realize that your stuff will get really smudged and difficult to erase. I tend to use F-H3 pencils for sketches, since they are easy to erase - you just need to draw lightly. I also use harder leads for details in mechas and stuff like that. B1-B3 is the softest that I've ever used, since I don't tend to be shading a lot. But again, this is more of a personal taste. Heck, I do 90% of my drawings with mechanical pencils anyway. But having a nice set of pencils always helps.

Eraser... well, this sounds basic, right? You should look for something that erases well and doesn't leave any marks in the paper. You could look for pencil-erasers that are always helpful for those little details where using a large eraser will screw everything up. I also recommend a kneaded eraser. They work very well for shading and if you need the eraser to go in a specific shape, they always work great.

Rulers. Oh, the rulers. They just keep coming and coming, when is it going to stop? Well, if you think carefully, rulers are the hottest things for an artist. You don't have to be drawing and erasing curves all the time to get them right. Just get a french curve or a bending ruler. And straight edges are always much, pardon the expression, straighter when you use a ruler to do them. From what I see in your drawing, you really didn't use a ruler when doing the swords and some of the details in the background character's armor. That really sticks out when most of your work is done properly and most of your lines are nice and straight. So consider getting some of these to have as backup. You'll need them for sure once you start drawing panels, anyway.

And I guess that's about it. I really can't help you with a place where you can find all of those things, since I don't know anything about the place you live. But you can find most of them in common Art and Craft stores and even in some stationery stores around where you live. It all goes down to where, specifically, you live. So try looking around.

And for the major part, they aren't expensive things. I mean, the stuff in my arsenal that cost me the most were a few Rapidograph technical pens that I've just rarely used. The pens and pen-nibs go around for maybe 6, 7 bucks for a whole set. Ink might cost you another three. Paper, depending on the type, could cost a bit more for a large number of sheets. But look around and see what fits your budget and what you can find around where you live. One thing I've learned is that it's not the tool that makes the artist, it's the artist that makes the artist. I may walk around with 6, 7 mechanical pencils, pens of all types and sizes but the girl sitting next to me will still destroy me with just a #2 pencil, a sharpener and a pink 15-cent eraser. So practice, practice, practice. That's all there's to it.

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Zero Shinohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-16, 07:42   Link #12
A_AQUARE

yaeh, lots of people gree wit me. the main charc clothes nice, the guy wit the mask 2 kinda good, so wats left is human anatomi....... work on it if u want 2 be better.
Old 2007-04-17, 07:33   Link #13
Axelis
Terra Descendant

Arigatogozaimasu

Thank you all, for all the stuff you all taught me. I am still finding a perfect pen for me, but meanwhile I am using a pen that is quite satisfying. I live in quite a deserted town, so I guess it'll be quite hard to find even hobby shops. By the way, the owner of the forum, Dark5205 has went for national service, so I guess I'll be handling the forum for a while. Can anybody teach me how to post on pictures in this forum, because it seems like I can't. Is it against the rules?
Old 2007-05-01, 11:56   Link #14
Axelis
Terra Descendant

The first page has finally been done!

I hope everyone gives comments about it, thank you in advance!
Old 2007-05-01, 12:08   Link #15
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
Looking good!

BUT, I'd suggest starting the first page with a "setting" page. You know, those landscape/nostalgic scenery that you normally see when a manga starts. I think kicking the characters right in might take away from the surprise effect.

But that's just my opinion.

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Zero Shinohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-03, 07:13   Link #16
A_AQUARE

well okay whens the next one out??? i hope ill be soon.... but then i think he knows what his doin . i think his tryin 2 leave a 'let us hanging effect' next would be a back flash tingy well its tipical...
Old 2007-05-07, 20:37   Link #17
Axelis
Terra Descendant

Thing is, I'm not good at drawing scenery, so drawing the setting might just ruin the image.....heheh......
Old 2007-05-10, 07:53   Link #18
dark5205
honey and clover maniac

i am back

i am back guys. so i am going to help my friend here
Old 2007-05-11, 10:34   Link #19
Axelis
Terra Descendant

Welcome back, D.
Old 2007-06-10, 09:16   Link #20
Axelis
Terra Descendant

ja-na

I've gone to study, so I won't have time to continue drawing, maybe I'll continue after10 months.