AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-12-17, 18:12   Link #1
negativeone

2007 anime suggestions

well to put it in short words, i haven't seen that many anime this year the only animes i've seen are Baccano, Gurren-laggan, heroic age, lovely complex and sayonara sad sensei....so before the 2007 season ends i was wondering what good anime show there are this year
Old 2007-12-18, 00:32   Link #2
magic01

Seto no Hanayome
Goshuushou-sama Ninomiya-kun
Zombie Loan
Umisho
Bamboo Blade

enjoy !!!!!
Old 2007-12-18, 01:34   Link #3
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

Minami-Ke..
Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro..
Gundam00..
Gambling Apocalypse Kaiji..
Shion no Ou..
Rental Magica..

^ This Good Anime..
Old 2007-12-18, 01:51   Link #4
Moneytalk

Surprised nobody has mentioned Clannad....
Old 2007-12-18, 01:52   Link #5
Westlo
Lets be reality

Seirei no Moribito
Terra e
Old 2007-12-18, 02:45   Link #6
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Between Baccano, G-L and SZS you've covered all the best XD however, these other lists are pretty disturbing...

I'd say of the one you haven't seen, there's Hitohira, Manabi Straight, Hidamari Sketch, Hayate no Gotoku, lol, you've got a lot of watching to do... Potemayo, I still haven't seen Terra e, so whatever...

For things airing this season: ef, Blue Drop, Clannad, Moyashimon, Shugo Chara, Sketchbook, Kaiji
Old 2007-12-18, 02:57   Link #7
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

I'd also add Lucky Star to the list if you like slice of life comedy that's somewhat obscure.
Old 2007-12-18, 03:34   Link #8
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
If you haven't watched Nodame Cantabile, then I think that's the best completed series of this year.

For series that are airing now, I would recommend Kaiji, Shion no Ou, Clannad, Myself ; Yourself, ef - a tale of memories, and Minami-ke. Yes there are lots of good series this season (in my opinion), and it could be my favorite season yet (from when I started following anime as they are released).

Disclaimer: I'm not dissing Lucky Star, Death Note, Gurren-Lagann, or any other famous anime...I've just never seen them yet.
Old 2007-12-18, 03:39   Link #9
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripperazn View Post
I'd also add Lucky Star to the list if you like slice of life comedy that's somewhat obscure.
the problem, though, that I have with recommending LS to anyone is that it's a pretty hardcore otaku anime. It's fanbase can pretty much be divided into people who watched it because haruhi made it popular, and the smaller portion of people who actually got all of it. If the Op is a pretty hardcore otaku, they'll probably enjoy it, but otherwise, even if they do enjoy it the reasons are superficial.

And really, it's not as great a show as it's cracked up to be... still can't believe ADV had the gall to liscence it...
Old 2007-12-18, 03:58   Link #10
kimchipride
Geass User

Clannad
Minami-Ke
Myself; Yourself
Tengen Toppa Gurren Laggan
Lucky Star

Do not watch G. Ninomiya Kun or Ef ~ Tale of memories.
Old 2007-12-18, 04:02   Link #11
Robotnik
Not a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus ex Digital Boy View Post
the problem, though, that I have with recommending LS to anyone is that it's a pretty hardcore otaku anime. It's fanbase can pretty much be divided into people who watched it because haruhi made it popular, and the smaller portion of people who actually got all of it. If the Op is a pretty hardcore otaku, they'll probably enjoy it, but otherwise, even if they do enjoy it the reasons are superficial.

And really, it's not as great a show as it's cracked up to be... still can't believe ADV had the gall to liscence it...
I really don't think you need to be that "hardcore" to enjoy Lucky Star - most of its comedy is based on the character interactions, everyday situations, and fairly generic otaku behavior (Konota's collecting quirks, playing video games all night, dying to go to a "special event" voice actor's concert, etc). I don't recall anything that made me go "geez, glad I watched <insert show here> or else that whole episode wouldn't have made sense." I suppose that puts me in the 3rd portion of it's fanbase; the ones didn't watch it because of Haruhi, and who probably didn't "get" all of it, but still enjoyed it.
Old 2007-12-18, 04:07   Link #12
BladeStone

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
If you haven't watched Nodame Cantabile, then I think that's the best completed series of this year.
Seconded. Nodame Cantabile was my favorite of the year.

I, however, AM dissing at least Death Note. What a horrible series. Sure it starts out grandiose, but around 1/2 way through after a certain event the series loses its flavor.
Old 2007-12-18, 04:10   Link #13
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:

Of course, with this, mileage varies tremendously. You're only going to understand everything if you've lived in Japan for an extended period of time AND have been an otaku for years. However, there is so much material, that I think there is something for everyone. Most of Kagami and Konata's Tsukkomi moments are pretty view-friendly.

If you don't have a little cultural knowledge (kotatsu, yakiniku, etc) or watch a lot of anime, a small portion of the scenes are just going to make no sense. Like the opening food sketch, I loved that one having eating lots of crazy Asian pastry and cooked yakiniku, but others don't seem to feel the same way.

If you don't have time to experiment: Clannad, ef ~a tale of memories~, Hayate no Gotoku,
Old 2007-12-18, 10:24   Link #14
mdauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativeone View Post
well to put it in short words, i haven't seen that many anime this year the only animes i've seen are Baccano, Gurren-laggan, heroic age, lovely complex and sayonara sad sensei....so before the 2007 season ends i was wondering what good anime show there are this year
My own personal recomendations for 2007 would be:

WINTER 2007 RECOMENDATIONS
  • Nodame Cantabile - Romantic/Comedy
SPRING 2007 RECOMENDATIONS
  • Hayate the Combat Butler! - Comedy
  • Heroic Age - Scifi/Action
  • Seto no Hanayome - Romantic/Comedy
  • Seirei no Moribito - Fantasy/Drama <- Personal Pick for Best of 2007
  • Lovely Complex - Romantic/Comedy
  • Kaze no Stigma - Fantasy/Action
SUMMER 2007 RECOMENDATIONS
  • Nanatsuiro Drops - Romantic/Comedy
  • Kenko Zenrakei Suieibu Umisho - Romantic/Comedy
FALL 2007 RECOMENDATIONS
  • Goshuushousama Ninomiya-kun - Romantic/Comedy
  • Gundam 00 - Scifi/Action
Old 2007-12-18, 11:39   Link #15
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotnik View Post
I really don't think you need to be that "hardcore" to enjoy Lucky Star - most of its comedy is based on the character interactions, everyday situations, and fairly generic otaku behavior (Konota's collecting quirks, playing video games all night, dying to go to a "special event" voice actor's concert, etc). I don't recall anything that made me go "geez, glad I watched <insert show here> or else that whole episode wouldn't have made sense." I suppose that puts me in the 3rd portion of it's fanbase; the ones didn't watch it because of Haruhi, and who probably didn't "get" all of it, but still enjoyed it.
Well, see, what I'm talking about is people who watch the show and never heard of an eroge, or don't know what doujinshi are, or aren't familiar with Japanese idols. These are all major plot elements that will go right over your head if you don't get it.

I mean, if you're sitting there going 'what the hell is she doing?' when Konata tries to 'set off flags' with her pals, then it's going to be a lot less fun for you.
Old 2007-12-18, 17:46   Link #16
Robotnik
Not a member

Quote:
Well, see, what I'm talking about is people who watch the show and never heard of an eroge, or don't know what doujinshi are, or aren't familiar with Japanese idols. These are all major plot elements that will go right over your head if you don't get it.
Point taken, but as tripperazn hinted the same could be said for the other fully ingrained J-culture bits, going way beyond the food discussion: falling asleep under the kotatsu, getting New Year's money, etc. IIRC, most of the subbers footnoted or otherwise explained the more obscure bits, and if ADV has Lucky Star I'm sure it will get the Pani Poni Dash "vid notes" treatment with (annnoying) pop-up explanations for everything.

Maybe ADV should just give LS a big "not for anime n00bs" warning sticker

Anyways, getting back to the OP, I'll second (or third or fourth) Seto no Hanayome (wacky comedy involving forced marriage to a Yakuza mermaid) and Hidamari Sketch (slice-of-life comedy at art school)
Old 2007-12-18, 20:05   Link #17
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
the only good anime is Seirei no moribito everything else is nothing new nor brilliant...
Old 2007-12-19, 18:06   Link #18
negativeone

wow thats allot of anime. i dunno which one to watch first.
i already watched nodame cantabile and im in episode 13 of seirie no moribito so i guess thats out of the "list"....about lucky star i stopped after the first ep. i just couldn't find it funny, the first 10 mins was some chibi girls talking about eating food, does it get better later on???
everyone on this tread seem to like seto hanayome so i guess thats a good one..umm..let see...i've read some reviews about minami-ke and it kindda grabbed my attention so y not.

Also i was wondering if there are darker/mature or non romance/harem/comedy/moe/school life anime other than claymore which i never liked
Old 2007-12-19, 18:27   Link #19
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
You should start to follow all the anime this season first if you're unsure.
Old 2007-12-19, 18:52   Link #20
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Lucky*Star does get better. Like you I almost dropped it after episode 1. Still I'd rate it a 7/8; funny, but not much staying power. For a light-hearted four-girls-go-to-high-school show, I'd recommend Hidamari Sketch.

For the darker/mature group, I'd suggest Mononoke (and it's prequel the final arc of Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales). Mononoke is unlicensed; Ayakashi is not.

Other excellent, and unlicensed, shows this year (besides Seirei and Nodame) include Dennou Coil, Oh! Edo Rocket, the previously mentioned Shion no Ou, and Moyashimon.

If you somehow managed to miss Bartender and Hataraki Man in 2006, I'd add those to your list as well.
Closed Thread