Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-12-02, 13:59   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

One Piece - Chapter 525 [Manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.
Old 2008-12-02, 14:02   Link #2
marvelB

Spoiler's out! Summary:

-It's confirmed that both Luffy AND Ace are Dragon's sons. However, "Portgas" is the name of Ace's mother (which would imply that he and Luffy are half-brothers). Ace never met Dragon, and considers Whitebeard as his father instead.

-It seems that Buggy is imprisoned in Impel Down (aww, yeah!). His crew and Alvida are trying to rescue him, but a Sea King is preventing them from reaching the prison. The crew ultimately gives up on rescuing their captain (lol).

-Momonga's ship arrives at Impel Down. Hancock requests to see Ace, and has seastone handcuffs put on her for safety precautions. However, the marines are about to do a body search on her, despite the fact that Luffy is still hiding in her coat. Somehow the marines don't detect Luffy (it's not explained in detail), and the two head inside the great prison. It's also noted that there's only 33 hours left until Ace's execution......

Dunno about anyone else, but the highlight of the spoiler for me was the return of BUGGY! Looks like that speculation of him being captured by Kizaru was true after all! I'm really hoping we see him pull off some crazy stuff at Impel Down. I still think that he may be capable of using Haki.....

I also figured that Luffy and Ace were half-brothers. Maybe this means that Dadan is actually Luffy's mother, after all...?

Oh, and I wonder if those seastone cuffs will prevent Hancock from using her Haki? I really am interested in seeing what she's capable of outside her Mero Mero powers. Heh, looks like the fun is about to begin!
Old 2008-12-02, 14:05   Link #3
james0246

Damn, you just beat me marvelB .

Yeah, the return of Buggy is great, it almost makes me want to see Shanks appear with Whitebeard, just to see Buggy and Shank's reaction to each other.

In other news, until a full spoiler clarifies the matter, Ace using his mother's maiden name does not prove that Luffy and Ace are half-brothers. Luffy could have the same mother with the same last name, only he does not care about using his father's name, whereas Ace simply decided to only use his mother's name.
Old 2008-12-02, 14:11   Link #4
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Yeah, the return of Buggy is great, it almost makes me want to see Shanks appear with Whitebeard, just to see Buggy's reaction.

I'm still not really expecting Shanks to fight with Whitebeard, but I can sort of see him being indirectly involved in the war somehow (like maybe sending some of his men to rescue Ace while everybody's fighting each other). Otherwise, I still think he'll sit out on this war.....

However, I do believe that the confirmation about Ace's relation to Luffy will increase the chances of Dragon being involved in the war. Maybe he'll want both of his sons to join him in his quest to topple the government.....
Old 2008-12-02, 14:12   Link #5
OtseisRagnarok
Manifesto
*Author

Send a message via AIM to OtseisRagnarok
Quote:
In other news, until a full spoiler clarifies the matter, Ace using his mother's maiden name does not prove that Luffy and Ace are half-brothers. Luffy could have the same mother with the same last name, only he does not care about using his father's name, whereas Ace simply decided to only use his mother's name.
It would make sense, right, wouldn't it? After-all, Ace didn't know he was Dragon's son, right?
Old 2008-12-02, 14:17   Link #6
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtseisRagnarok View Post
It would make sense, right, wouldn't it? After-all, Ace didn't know he was Dragon's son, right?

That was Luffy, not Ace. The spoiler summary implies that Ace knew about Dragon, but never cared for him since they've never met (which is why he considers Whitebeard to be his father instead).

But yeah, james0246 certainly does have a point. Luffy and Ace may very well have the same mom after all. So... maybe her name is Portgas Dadan (unless Dadan is the name of Garp's friend)...?

Last edited by marvelB; 2008-12-02 at 14:27.
Old 2008-12-02, 14:18   Link #7
OtseisRagnarok
Manifesto
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
That was Luffy, not Ace. The spoiler summary implies that Ace knew about Dragon, but never cared for him since they've never met (which is why he considers Whitebeard his father instead).
EIther way, my point still stands. Ace took his mother's name instead to avoid association with Dragon for whatever reason.
Old 2008-12-02, 14:25   Link #8
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
I'm still not really expecting Shanks to fight with Whitebeard, but I can sort of see him being indirectly involved in the war somehow (like maybe sending some of his men to rescue Ace while everybody's fighting each other). Otherwise, I still think he'll sit out on this war.....
That is why I said "almost" . I want to see Buggy and Shanks reactions to each other, but I do not want to see Shanks in this little war. So, I have a bit of a conumdrum .

Prediction for Buggy: Luffy will help Buggy and others escape, but Buggy will be the only one to get a raise in bounty, and he will be indicated (on his bounty sheet) as being a member of the Strawhat pirates, to the eternal horror of Buggy and his crew.
Old 2008-12-02, 14:36   Link #9
OtseisRagnarok
Manifesto
*Author

Quote:
That is why I said "almost" . I want to see Buggy and Shanks reactions to each other, but I do not want to see Shanks in this little war. So, I have a bit of a conumdrum .

Prediction for Buggy: Luffy will help Buggy and others escape, but Buggy will be the only one to get a raise in bounty, and he will be indicated (on his bounty sheet) as being a member of the Strawhat pirates, to the eternal horror of Buggy and his crew.
I nearly forgot that Shanks and Buggy knew each other... Maybe Buggy really does know how to use haki?

As for Buggy being misidentified as a Strawhat? I'd like to see that.
Old 2008-12-02, 14:43   Link #10
marvelB

Quote:

Heh, it certainly would be awesome if Buggy actually joined Luffy, though it isn't very likely (but at the very least, he has a more interesting personality than Hancock and his DF power isn't quite so broken, so he definitely has potential). Either that, or his bounty will be raised past the 100 million point and he'll reunite with his crew as the 12th Supernova.

And speaking of the Supernovas.... I still wonder if we'll see Kidd and Law's crews at Impel Down? While there's certainly a good chance that they escaped to Merman Island or were warped to some far-off island by the true Kuma's paw powers, it doesn't change the fact that don't really know what became of them at all since they ran into that "Kuma" at Sabaody. It's just as likely that they were unlucky enough to be arrested by a pissed Borsalino.....
Old 2008-12-02, 14:44   Link #11
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Buggy was a crew member of Gold Roger, not just friends with Shanks lol

About whether Seastone will prevent Boa from using her Haki, that I do not think so. Its not like the Seastone will make her look uglier, so she most probably would be able to swoon the people around her with her beauty.

I think her fruit works by acting on top of her beauty, extending the capabilities of her attractiveness. So with Seastone cuffs, she probably just loses the ability to petrify those who are attracted to her.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2008-12-02, 14:50   Link #12
OtseisRagnarok
Manifesto
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
About whether Seastone will prevent Boa from using her Haki, that I do not think so. Its not like the Seastone will make her look uglier, so she most probably would be able to swoon the people around her with her beauty.

I think her fruit works by acting on top of her beauty, extending the capabilities of her attractiveness. So with Seastone cuffs, she probably just loses the ability to petrify those who are attracted to her.
Well, in a universe where someone can be made to look more beautiful from being kicked in the face, I don't doubt that handcuffs could potentially have the opposite effect.
But I also doubt that Seastone could affect Haki at all. It only affects DF abilities, right?
Old 2008-12-02, 14:52   Link #13
Rainbowman

It's been so long since Buggy had been in the One Piece story that he would appear again. A bit disappointing that we don't have further word of the rest of the Strawhat crew since they landed on those different islands and I was hoping that they get out of their predicament to get the story going. However there's something that's been preventing me from crying over them (especially Nami given her predicament) at least since the release of this chapter: (saying this out of curiosity) < How did Buggy end up in Impel Down in the first place? I could have sworn he had been following Luffy to get his revenge on him. Perhaps he got captured at Sabaody Archipeligo with the other pirates inhabiting it?
Old 2008-12-02, 14:58   Link #14
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Well, in a universe where someone can be made to look more beautiful from being kicked in the face, I don't doubt that handcuffs could potentially have the opposite effect.
But I also doubt that Seastone could affect Haki at all. It only affects DF abilities, right?
Yea it only affect DF abilites. Unless someone's Haki comes from his ability lol

Someone who's so proud of his ability and totally relies on it, like Enel, who thinks he's a god because of his ability.

Hancock's Haki comes from his beauty and that being beautiful made her think that she rules over all. Luffy wants to be Pirate King so he has the will of a King and has overwhelming disposition.

Unless the seastone made them feel extremely weak, making them lose their confidence and will, you can say that this is actually affecting their Haki. But again I can visualise Luffy in seastone cuffs shouting "ORE WA KAIZOKU OU NI NARU OTOKO DAAAA!!!". I'm sure it will shake the hearts of people or knock a bunch of them out if he's dead serious lol

Old 2008-12-02, 14:59   Link #15
OtseisRagnarok
Manifesto
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
A bit disappointing that we don't have further word of the rest of the Strawhat crew since they landed on those different islands and I was hoping that they get out of their predicament to get the story going. However there's something that's been preventing me from crying over them (especially Nami given her predicament)
Well, I agree with you in wanting to see the rest of the crew. But I honestly think Nami is the best-off out of all of them. (Except maybe Luffy).
Old 2008-12-02, 15:05   Link #16
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Well, I agree with you in wanting to see the rest of the crew. But I honestly think Nami is the best-off out of all of them. (Except maybe Luffy).
Hmmm lets see:

Nami: Not in danger, the old man even shows her a few tricks she can learn.
Franky: Got blasted the instance he got there, other than that seems peaceful
Sanji: In real deep shit lol
Ussop: Almost got eaten by giant insects and plants, luckily has a hero to save him.
Brook: May soon be dragged into a war, but gets to see lots of pantsu.
Robin: Seems to be a real bad situation.
Chopper: Giant birds seem to be bad.
Zoro: I don't know about him, but if I landed there I'd give Perona-sama all my love , Perona-sama~!! Haraharahara~!

Old 2008-12-02, 15:12   Link #17
OtseisRagnarok
Manifesto
*Author

Quote:
Unless the seastone made them feel extremely weak, making them lose their confidence and will, you can say that this is actually affecting their Haki. But again I can visualise Luffy in seastone cuffs shouting "ORE WA KAIZOKU OU NI NARU OTOKO DAAAA!!!". I'm sure it will shake the hearts of people or knock a bunch of them out if he's dead serious lol
Well, If I remember correctly, seeing as how Luffy's DF affects his whole body, he'll feel rediculously weak while affected by seastone.

Quote:
Hmmm lets see:

Ussop: Almost got eaten by giant insects and plants, luckily has a hero to save him.
Zoro: I don't know about him, but if I landed there I'd give Perona-sama all my love , Perona-sama~!! Haraharahara~!
Well, Franky might also be dragged into a war himself. Not to mention that he's quite literally freezing his ass off....
And I doubt Zoro has any real sex-drive. He's about a step away from being a monk. Therefore, Perona = no real advantage.
Old 2008-12-02, 15:18   Link #18
marvelB

About the seastone weakness.... I guess I was sort of thinking that the cuffs may weaken Hancock to the point that she can't fight properly. After all, I recall back in Alabasta where Luffy could barely muster any energy when he was imprisoned in Crocodile's seastone cell. Even in Enies Lobby Robin couldn't really do anything but run around when she was wearing those seastone cuffs (which led to her being abused by Spandam). So I dunno how well Hancock can defend herself if she's being forced to wear those seastone cuffs, unless Luffy manages to steal the keys for those things while inside the prison.....
Old 2008-12-02, 15:40   Link #19
Rainbowman

Quote:
Hmmm lets see:

With Nami: True, but if he's perverted I'd give him nightmares along with the peeping patrol in alabasta. I also did mention that there's a chance that Nami would get in danger by her own greed; and I say this as a preachy papa to Nami because greed had brought villains to their deaths if not misery.
With Franky and Robin: Since Robin seems to be slaving to build a bridge and Franky can build bridges better than anything, perhaps they can reunite to get out of their predicaments.
With Sanji: True that. LOLATWTTB
With Usopp: Looks like Usopp's luck has turned for the better in his survival.
With Chopper: Those fat people I saw looked more like natives than what I imagined.
With Brook: I wonder if he'll get any of the female cultists pregnant? (Just a joke)
With Zoro: Somehow I don't think a ZoroxPerona relation would work out considering Zoro finds Perona annoying especially after their last encounter at Thriller Bark.
Old 2008-12-02, 15:55   Link #20
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

the war is looking mouth watering as every chaper goes by.

after 525 chapters we might actully get some answers about luffy's mum. it took naruto 350+ chapters to find out about his past. hopefully we may get to know a bit more about luffy's mum now.

anyway as for Chopper he is able to talk to animels so i think that he has a good chance of survival.