AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

Old 2012-04-23, 00:23   Link #541
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Wow to the visuals. I wonder if KyoAni have topped themselves here - not a detail is out of place. Their attention to detail is astonishing.

As for the story, it's pleasant enough but feels very safe and somewhat bland.
Pretty much agree there. Normally, i wouldn't have a problem with that, but there so many series airing this season that have taken risks and succeeded with them to the point that I consider this series mistimed. Of course, since this is a Sunday series (the only other one I know of on that day is Space Bros), I'm still going to watch this. Besides there are other generic anime airing in this season that seem to have a decent audience, but I don't watch them.

I will say this though. This series is definitely more interesting than anything KyoAni has done after CLANNAD (Seriously, Haruhi has become pretty dated as of now).

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 01:37   Link #542
Terizent
Nonsense!

Well, aside from the (as expected) amazing animation, I'm pretty turned off by the first episode.

I guess was expecting something more mystery-like. Like, actual murder mysteries. Or stolen priceless vases. Seriously, the first mystery is just, well, I wouldn't even call it a mystery. It's like something out of an elementary school My Very First Mystery Chapter Book in terms of difficulty, if the word can even be used to describe it. Of course it was the janitor. It's not like it's rare knowledge that janitors have master keys and lock classroom doors after school or anything, yet Eru (an intelligent A+ student) is apparently astonished that MC managed to deduce the ending. And what was the point of the second half of the episode? To tell the audience that MC is in love with Eru? That he's REEEAALLYYY smart for figuring out a way to get out of being forced to solve the piano ghost mystery? That he actually wants to have an "interesting" life? How is this even a mystery?

Another thing-the first meeting between Eru and MC took three times what I was willing to wait for. Yes, purple eyes are pretty, but I'm not going to appreciate it if you dramatically slow mo the MC stepping in to the room, echoing his footsteps while he glimpses Eru's angelic face for the first time. There's no need to zoom on her eyes, then go back to the MC, then zoom on them some more, then back to MC, then zoom back again on those beautiful amethysts reflecting back the MC's silhouette.

I'm going to hate it if "I can't stop thinking about it!" and the sparkling hair plants don't stop within three episodes.
Old 2012-04-23, 01:48   Link #543
theflyingturkey
Swordy Turkey

That was a pretty fun first ep. Can't wait for more.
theflyingturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 01:56   Link #544
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Oddly, I found it to be very interesting.

And I'm not sure why.

That is a mystery.
Old 2012-04-23, 01:58   Link #545
Khalil

It looks like I'm the only one who was put off by Satoshi, the talkative friend with the perma-smile.
Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 02:59   Link #546
boggart
渡辺曜のお兄さん

Not enough (or any!!) of Mayaka for me...
boggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 03:29   Link #547
E minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalil View Post
It looks like I'm the only one who was put off by Satoshi, the talkative friend with the perma-smile.
Yeh he looks like the kind of guy that would stab you in the back.

This show is giving me the GC vibe. Decent visuals is not enough to save a crappy story.
E minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 03:49   Link #548
rulfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by E minor View Post
Yeh he looks like the kind of guy that would stab you in the back.

This show is giving me the GC vibe. Decent visuals is not enough to save a crappy story.
If we go by their initial appearance and how they acted, this guy is more of a supportive type of character. And not just a typical comical support kind of guy but rather someone that really helps the MC get some ideas.

I'd say he has a mix of Itsuki's archetype in a way, but not totally.

Anyway on a side note, I like how they imply right here from the start that Houtarou does indeed somewhat likes Eru's curious personality.
rulfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 03:53   Link #549
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

It's exactly like Haruhi except without any of the things that made Haruhi interesting. Also, Satoshi made me want to stop watching anime. He made me feel as though I would never enjoy anything ever again, because he was just that terrible of a character.

It might improve somehow, I don't know. Certainly not in the direction it's going in. Visuals are absolutely incredible, nearly movie-quality, but that certainly can't save the show and, in my opinion, makes it even worse, since the time and money put in could have been used on something actually worth such a heavy expense.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 04:53   Link #550
chrisbad726

Honestly, why are people turned off by it? Is because they were expecting something else, were their expectations to high or are they just mad that kyoani could have done another popular series with this awesome animation and not this one?

I ask because I genuinely enjoyed the first episode. Sure it seems bland but it's only the first episode. Sure there have been more exciting first episodes but this is a slice of life, mystery so a big extravagant beginning would feel out of place. This could build up to something even more but I don't know if it will so I will just keep watching to find out.
chrisbad726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 05:17   Link #551
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbad726 View Post
Honestly, why are people turned off by it? Is because they were expecting something else, were their expectations to high or are they just mad that kyoani could have done another popular series with this awesome animation and not this one?

I ask because I genuinely enjoyed the first episode. Sure it seems bland but it's only the first episode. Sure there have been more exciting first episodes but this is a slice of life, mystery so a big extravagant beginning would feel out of place. This could build up to something even more but I don't know if it will so I will just keep watching to find out.
Probably because standards have risen to a laughably unbelievable high over the last while. I wouldn't be surprised if every single one of us will one day view the perfect plotline from God himself as a watery pile of sewage.

With all of these negative opinions the series from the "first" episode alone, I'm also left wondering if we're all aware of how mysteries work. Episode 1's miniature sized story isn't how every episode is going to be; it's just a method to introduce characters and the fact that the school itself is surrounded by a mystery. I don't even think the characters are bland by anime standards (maybe a bit by overall media standards), plus they haven't even been able to evolve past one step yet. I get this fun little Bungaku Shoujo meets Haruhi vibe of sorts with a little hint of Durarara (probably due to the setting mostly), and while that certainly doesn't push something like the plot, I'm looking at how those progressed as well. 20 minutes isn't enough to judge something, and I'm all for allowing such a beautifully animated series to build upon its initial concept.

Hopefully that doesn't sound like I'm negating the opinions of those of you who have already decided it's more "bland" than "intriguing", because I definitely do feel a hint of truth in what you're feeling. I just hope that while you're sitting in that position, you're not already convinced that the story is "boring".

Oh, and as for the first "mystery"? That's not the mystery of the show, that's called characterization. Chitanda has a very curious personality, Satoshi's the playful member and Houtarou is silent (ooh, mystery and potential!) but is also very observant and is regarded to be able to solve any puzzling concerns. This first example was set small probably to not suck the life out of what's to come; if we started with a Sherlock Holmes case from the get-go, just how exciting can the climax be in comparison?
Old 2012-04-23, 05:32   Link #552
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Hmmm... I get the feeling that the studio clearly wasn't aiming for a "wow!" factor. The pilot felt... safe, maybe too safe in fact. Aside from the expected phenomenal animation the studio is named for, I don't think that there's really anything in the episode that would wow you or pull you in. Everything felt standard, benign, everyday, actually I'm at a slight loss as descriptives because while it wasn't bland, it wasn't gripping either.

It felt more commonplace, more SoL than anything else. I'm not familiar with the source material, but I'd assume that the tone of the first episode is to bring in a more laid back setting before radically shifting the tone in episodes to follow.

In retrospect, what intrigues me the most is how the show will manage to pull something off that would keep me, and most other people watching. Most other shows of the studio had something in the beginning to pull some of the viewership in. This episode... perhaps that slow buildup to a promise of something?

It's slightly fascinating. It doesn't wow me at all, there's nothing substantially outstanding, but it somehow demands that I continue watching, at least for a few more. Somehow I'm in the same boat as Proto (we honestly need to stop agreeing man!), the ambiance at least satisfies me for now.

It's a strange enigma. It's not a single factor, and neither is it the sum of its parts that demand my attention. Perhaps it's ambiance as a loose explanation at this point in time, but there's something in here that baffles me and demands I continue to give it a shot.

What the fuck KyoAni?
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 05:51   Link #553
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

well if this turns to be other than young boys and girls playing to be Detectives it can get interesting, but from what it seems its exactly that, but that just my speculation.
Old 2012-04-23, 06:07   Link #554
Blaat

You know the main character looks exactly like Gintoki (and acts a bit like him as well) without the silver hair. Shame his best friend isn't wearing any glasses.
Old 2012-04-23, 06:11   Link #555
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Episode 1:

- Hey yo, this is some kawaii manga sh!1, jigga-wigga yo. Uguu~

- P.S. I enjoyed the episode.
       /
      / \|
    /
winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 06:26   Link #556
boggart
渡辺曜のお兄さん

I'll be looking forward to seeing how Fukube's somewhat stream of trivial knowledge will contribute to the story.

Houtarou's clearly the thinking type - so he sorta fits a Sherlock Holmes kind of role. He works things out, and puts all the pieces together. His combination with Fukube is what clicks.

Eru's memory strengths were touched on in the first episode a little bit, so I wonder if that will be expanded on in future episodes. Her curiosity and persistence will probably shine through too.

I can't wait for Mayaka's introduction into the story. I really don't know what dynamic she will bring to the group.

Last edited by boggart; 2012-04-23 at 15:38.
boggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 06:57   Link #557
MartianMage

Watched the first episode. Yeah it was a pretty slow and boring episode. The animation is beautiful I'll agree to that but not so much that I'll say that it raised bars. That's pretty much all I can say about the first episode, really. x_X
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 07:10   Link #558
rulfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Probably because standards have risen to a laughably unbelievable high over the last while. I wouldn't be surprised if every single one of us will one day view the perfect plotline from God himself as a watery pile of sewage.
True dat. It's like anything they do decent will be terrible in their eyes, and it feels very subjective that they start to inject their personal tastes saying how it should be versus what the show really aims to be. Hence why I will not watch LB anime unless I get my ideals for the show itself out of my system. If I go right in, I'm just gonna view it with a lot of bias negativity making me blind of all the positive merits the work has.

On the totality of things, I can't help but blame both extreme sides of the audience. I dunno which one rustles the jimmies of the other to start the mindless cycle. One is a blind optimist the other is an over idealistic pessimist. Oh well, sitting between the two is gonna be a lot of headache which makes me want to avoid the damn community and stop discussing anything. Like someone said, this studio's work completely polarizes the audience. Oh well....

Anyway judging and predicting how the series itself will be from Ep1 alone is stupid. Personally, I can compare this from the start of S;G. I didn't find the humor funny right from the start, I felt that Okabe's dribble was kinda pointless at times that I didn't care as long as that seek bar moves forward. After some time, I was very bored to the point that I stopped watching it for 2 weeks due to lack of interest. Picked it up as soon as the plot got in and a lot of us know how well that show ended.

Now with this one, the title is very obscure. I don't know anything about it nor expect anything too much about it. If anyone expects this to be grim and dark, well... I think it's best we drop that notion since there aren't that much hints of it having that atmosphere.
rulfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 08:31   Link #559
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
THIS THING WAS JUST GENIOUS. And I'm not even being sarcastic about it.

KyoAni has slowly become one of the best in the industry when it comes to creating interesting environments and ambiances. Not in the sense of the overall background complexity, but in terms of establishing a believable and easy to seep in environment that just allows the characters to develop. A masterful combination of the right color palette, the right camera perspective,super-b direction, etc.

If they get this right this might become one of my favorite series of the year. A series whose strong point is not the plot, or the characters, or even the ideas behind the series but the feelings and overall ambiance that it projects. Kudos KyoAni. Once again you've nailed it for me.

11/10
It's a little confusing when I receive messages asking me if I was being sarcastic. No, I truly loved the first episode. I may have had it unsettling when I came here and found so many people disliking it and went overboard with the superlatives, but still I found this to be quite within the high side of my taste range.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 08:35   Link #560
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Wow to the visuals. I wonder if KyoAni have topped themselves here - not a detail is out of place. Their attention to detail is astonishing.

As for the story, it's pleasant enough but feels very safe and somewhat bland. Casting is also very safe, KyoAni veterans all the way - and the male seiyuu are totally unsuited to the character designs. Sometimes I wonder if KyoAni is like a royal family that's had a little too much inbreeding, and would do well to have an infusion of robust, commoner DNA into their gene pool.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

There's what nagged me all episode - VAs used before (Tomoya and Sunohara VAs as the two guys), Chitanda looking like a morph of Mio and Tsumugi from K-ON, the premise of a high school club (Clannad and K-ON) - the list goes on. Could list a lot more similarities but the point's already made

Can't fault it much visually though. Backgrounds were good, scrolling shots were good, Chitanda's eyes are appealing. The OP was fairly catchy. However...visuals alone won't suffice. There wasn't any truly standout moment for me yet. What made me continue to the end with Clannad and K-ON was despite the things that irked me, you'd get a great moment about every 5 minutes that made you want to continue. I didn't feel that once in Episode 1 of this. I saw discussion of how Chitanda could have wound up there for several minutes, then drawn out intros, then random chat. The mood was overly sedate - it needed a moment with some flair or 'look at me!' appeal. As Enzo said, it was all....safe. If anything, Hyou-ka has made me appreciate what worked within Haruhi, Clannad and K-ON and why they succeeded.

At the moment, I see this show profiting, maybe cracking 10k but I'm not seeing it reaching Clannad levels let alone K-ON levels in sales. Rehashing what has worked before will only work so many times. It can't possibly do worse than Nichijou, though.

Tags
adaptation, shounen, slice of life