AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2013-04-13, 14:38   Link #121
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiprbim View Post
How about making one more Sub-forum at the General Chat, Forum for discussing of topics not related to either Anime & Manga or BitTorrent, called Forum Games?

Non-anime related topics that would focus purely for entertainment would go in there, such as Rate That "X", Count to "X" before "X", and so on.
We already have a few: Rate that "X" like threads, but I fail to see the point in some of the others. Countdown threads are pointless as pointless can get and your last example sounds like a comparison topic of sorts, which I rather see individually for each topic before deciding anything.

In that sense, I would prefer to have a General thread request topic of sorts, rather than a whole section dedicated to games.
Old 2013-04-13, 14:46   Link #122
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
but I don't really buy the "if you allow some, you must allow them all" logic either. Life is full of "grey".
It would be great if it would be that way, but it is not about allowance, but performance.
Just allowing some rare cases to exist is OK, but do people truly know that it is just those cases that are allowed and not more?
In this specific case, AnimeSuki, it may be fine because people are organized and not falling for these kind of thread creatings, while at some other forums they do, massively.

You are right, since this is AnimeSuki, we should focus on what to change and update on the current style of AS and look purely on it. I was carried away by looking at how some other forums usually have it while I should check in detail how these forums have it. (Usually, if one kind of thread is really active, similar threads are created and those either get active as well or don't, but people still make them)

I must say that overall, I'm impressed by how great the community is here.
I'm not saying to scratch what I've suggested, but I'll look into this a bit more and possibly update & advance my suggestion.
I hope I get opinions from others as well, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
We already have a few: Rate that "X" like threads, but I fail to see the point in some of the others.
I know we do, that is why I made the post, it would be useless to fix something that is not even broken.

Quote:
Countdown threads are pointless as pointless can get and your last example sounds like a comparison topic of sorts, which I rather see individually for each topic before deciding anything.
That truly depends on peoples' opinions.
Some really like threads like Count to 50 Before Mod Posts, just to pass their time, but some don't.
I'm not a really huge fan of those myself either, but I'd like to keep them in one section and allow others to have fun if they find it fun.

Quote:
In that sense, I would prefer to have a General thread request topic of sorts, rather than a whole section dedicated to games.
Looking at the first page of General Chat, I can see a lot of threads focusing on those kind of games.
Plus, creating its own Forum section would allow the performance of preventing the posts there to count in the Overall Post Count, which would be great.

Also, as some people find these kind of threads useless (like you have stated).
Having a whole Forum section dedicated for these kind of threads would make them unable to see those "annoying" threads since they would all be stocked-up in that Forum. In that case, only people enjoying them would visit that Forum section,which sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Edit: I'm sorry for double-posting, wasn't thinking of that at that time and thank-you for summing up my two posts.

Last edited by Haiprbim; 2013-04-13 at 14:59. Reason: Thanks for the sum-up.
Haiprbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 21:22   Link #123
brocko

Most other forums I frequent tend to condone forum game type threads. Sure it increases activity, but there's a difference between productive activity and non-productive activity. People may get a few kicks and fun out of it, but really other than that there isn't meaning discussions taking place.

Rather than having a whole section dedicated to them (and thus encouraging the idea), I think it'd be better to let nature play it's part and deal with each thread/game as they pop up, deciding based on their own individual merits instead. I could be wrong, but I don't think they appear frequently enough to be a major concern for both the staff and forums well-being yet anyway. When it becomes an actual issue, then we could start looking into and discussing alternatives.

The staff have already let a few games go and I think that's rather generous of them already. There are other places out there to visit for those types of games, but I'd like to hope that Animesuki shouldn't be one of them.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 21:48   Link #124
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

This talk about forum games reminds me of the Mafia/Rugaru fever I had a few years ago. I think I even made a thread about it here, but was rejected and went instead to a whole forum dedicated to the game. Though, if I'm honest, sometimes it's not about the game but about who you play with. The demographic here and the other forum I mentioned had quite a different flavor, one huge obvious thing among others being we're all anime otaku.
Old 2013-04-14, 05:02   Link #125
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
Most other forums I frequent tend to condone forum game type threads. Sure it increases activity, but there's a difference between productive activity and non-productive activity. People may get a few kicks and fun out of it, but really other than that there isn't meaning discussions taking place.

Rather than having a whole section dedicated to them (and thus encouraging the idea), I think it'd be better to let nature play it's part and deal with each thread/game as they pop up, deciding based on their own individual merits instead. I could be wrong, but I don't think they appear frequently enough to be a major concern for both the staff and forums well-being yet anyway. When it becomes an actual issue, then we could start looking into and discussing alternatives.

The staff have already let a few games go and I think that's rather generous of them already. There are other places out there to visit for those types of games, but I'd like to hope that Animesuki shouldn't be one of them.
Yeah, that was later my point as well.
The members of AnimeSuki forums tend to visit Forum Games-focused threads a lot, but not create them on their own, which is a really rare case for any forums in general, but it works.
However, I'd still keep an eye on this, because these kind of threads, even if there is not many of them, push the quality-discussed threads onto the 2nd page, due to their overall high activity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
This talk about forum games reminds me of the Mafia/Rugaru fever I had a few years ago. I think I even made a thread about it here, but was rejected and went instead to a whole forum dedicated to the game. Though, if I'm honest, sometimes it's not about the game but about who you play with. The demographic here and the other forum I mentioned had quite a different flavor, one huge obvious thing among others being we're all anime otaku.
I've noticed quite a lot of differences between the forums all around that focus on anime as well.
In fact, I could easily say that AnimeSuki is one of the most organized ones and overall, the Staff here reaches out to the community quite a lot, which is a really good thing.
It's the same as it goes for me now, try focusing purely on AS forums now, because they are not your everyday forums.

Notice: I couldn't quote specific parts in the posts because I'm on my phone at the moment, I hope you understood what parts I was focusing on. Thanks.

Last edited by Haiprbim; 2013-04-14 at 05:14.
Old 2013-04-14, 13:36   Link #126
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
However, I'd still keep an eye on this, because these kind of threads, even if there is not many of them, push the quality-discussed threads onto the 2nd page, due to their overall high activity.
I think this is why, among the proposals on the table, is to split up General Chat into some sub-sections so there's a bit more of a distinction between "serious discussion" and more "casual discussion" -- so there's a place for everything without constantly competing for the same space. (By their very nature, these sorts of casual threads tend to accumulate posts faster, so they tend to rise to the top in the current order of things.)

At the end of the day, it sounds (to me anyway) like this conversation is supporting the conclusion members of the staff also had previously about this.
Old 2013-04-30, 02:17   Link #127
Haiprbim
Banned

I would want to in-put the current Hip & Happening on Music forum section.

As far as I see, there is one thread by the title of What song does get stuck in your head that is the lead of the forum and is active quite a lot, followed by A Song A Day (Electronic Music Version).
Other than 5 threads that are half-dead such as the Vocaloid Song/Video thread, the whole forum is more or less dead.

Main point: I would suggest putting Music forum section as a Sub-forum to a bigger section such as Non-Anime Entertainment or something like that.
Old 2013-05-05, 16:59   Link #128
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

All of them are threads where you post songs.
More of a music library than a discussion. Which is ok, my thread at least was planned like that and I frequently browse it all over just to listen to songs.

There are few threads in which you can actually discuss music. It's hard to start one... The low activity in there might be a part of the problem. But somehow I doubt that placing the forum on a sublevel instead of right on the frontpage would help with that.

Edit for question:
If I want suggestions on music or games, does that currently go into the music/game forum, or in the suggestion one?
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-06, 00:18   Link #129
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
Edit for question:
If I want suggestions on music or games, does that currently go into the music/game forum, or in the suggestion one?
The suggestions one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subforum description
If you are looking for suggestions or recommendations for anime, manga, games or music, ask in here.
Old 2013-07-07, 14:29   Link #130
Haiprbim
Banned

I do not want to end up looking hasty, but was there any time given in which this will actually be taken into action and when tested first? Looking for an approximate information, of course.

Edit: From the response below I see the answer in None. Anyhow, looking forward to it!

Last edited by Haiprbim; 2013-07-07 at 15:22.
Old 2013-07-07, 14:35   Link #131
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
I do not want to end up looking hasty, but was there any time given in which this will actually be taken into action and when tested first? Looking for an approximate information, of course.
When we're ready. That's basically all that can be said at the moment.