AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-06-01, 23:37   Link #2241
MasterVampire

How many episodes is this going to be?

Its upto 18 now but they still havn't reached that planet or saved the Earth.

I hope it wont get rushed.
MasterVampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-01, 23:44   Link #2242
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterVampire View Post

26 or so, much like the original.
Old 2013-06-02, 00:14   Link #2243
Traece
:cool:

It is such a pleasure watching them work. This show has yet to cease amazing me with how clever it can be, and I actually regret that I've not seen prior renditions of Space Battleship Yamato.

However... Admiral Wakamoto.

Nothing brought me more joy from this show than him playing that character. I actually had fanboy moments hearing him speak, and now... Sigh
Old 2013-06-02, 01:25   Link #2244
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterVampire View Post

The return trip home will be over in less then 10 minutes of the last episode.

Last edited by Tri-ring; 2013-06-02 at 01:35.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-02, 04:56   Link #2245
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
The return trip home will be over in less then 10 minutes of the last episode.
Considering the main opposition is the Gamilon empire, and they have to go through the Gamilon empire to reach Iscandar...

I'll just say it seems like things might be a bit more exciting on the front end of that trip than the back.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-02, 06:30   Link #2246
macdawson

Just saw the new ending sequence for the TV broadcast. The new song is bit too upbeat for Yamato but still nice. But the real gem is the new scroll. Asamiya has done another amazing piece of art:

You can also check out Rei Yasuda's facebook page for a short version video of the song.

https://www.facebook.com/yasudareiofficial

Editorial Note: The previous post regarding this subject contained a link to a site with images of the sequence. Unfortunately the site had some regretable content, of which i was unaware. I therefore removed the post and humbly apoligize to everyone.

Last edited by macdawson; 2013-06-02 at 08:02.
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-02, 08:06   Link #2247
Top Sergeant

Just found the anime and got caught up to Ep. 18.

Starblazers was the first anime I ever watched. I have fond memories of avidly watching it in the morning and dashing off to school so that I wouldn't be late.

I am very much enjoying this new version of the show: the characters and character arcs, effects, animation, music, and voice acting. Well done!
Top Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-02, 11:18   Link #2248
macdawson

Here's the video for the closing sequence. And i do mean video, as the audio track was disabeled by youtube. XD Watch it before they take it down.

Old 2013-06-02, 11:42   Link #2249
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Dessler Soto, Banzai!!

It is a good scroll. Not sure about the music, but that does get them more money as people buy singles still.

Might go to the end of theie time between galaxies.

And odd note: The flashback to while the fleet took off from Earth for the last time was stated to be 10 months ago. By that point Yamto has been out for three or so months. (90 days). Which puts that at being about May 7th, 2199. Therefore the flashback is probably in July of 2198. There are 30 ships seen leaving Earth, but only maybe 21 are at Pluto in January of 2199. Also Kodai and Shima were dropped off on Mars in late December of 2198 to be picked up in early February 2199 by the last ship in the fleet (though how Yukikaze got to Saturn is a mystery still).

Last edited by Ithekro; 2013-06-02 at 12:01.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-02, 21:00   Link #2250
bumbayker

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdawson View Post
Here's the video for the closing sequence. And i do mean video, as the audio track was disabeled by youtube. XD Watch it before they take it down.

Aww... The audio was already disabled.
bumbayker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-03, 05:04   Link #2251
kimpleng
Lurker

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Less than 1 minute screen time, got figure.
Or probably she will get important role later.
kimpleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-03, 10:56   Link #2252
macdawson

Update on the Mechanics page at yamato2199.net

First one is not that much of an update since it's just the Imperial Guard recolored version of the Polmeria Carrier

But then things get really interesting. First the long awaited Gerbades Class Battle-Carrier, named Darold (The Lord?!)

followed by the command section of the Domelaze III (the saucer ship)

And finally, the piece-de-resistance, the support craft for the Rainbow Star Cluster carrier group

DWG109 - Debakke (2 types)

DMB87 - Sunuka (2 types)

FWG97 - Dorshiira (2 types)

And finally, the Garont Heavy Bomber + Drill Missile

Old 2013-06-03, 11:17   Link #2253
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

I believe we saw that drill missile in the last preview. I guess THAT episode is coming up in the next batch.

Endless "Plugged up" Soul
Old 2013-06-03, 11:26   Link #2254
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Best guess is episode 20 since they would need an episode to prepare for the battle.

Needs more technical details. Not the sciency things, just stuff like the length of the ships and the weapons carried.
Old 2013-06-03, 13:27   Link #2255
FerrusManus

What is the difference between the fighters? Different squadrons?
FerrusManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-03, 15:19   Link #2256
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrusManus View Post
What is the difference between the fighters? Different squadrons?
Looks to be the case. They have different markings and colors.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-03, 16:09   Link #2257
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I think one is the squadron leader the rest are the normal craft. The squadron leader's fighter would need to stand out for our purposes.

A "hero ship" I suppose. The ones with the grey trim all seem to have a marking under the cockpit. So I imagine that would be important to the story for us to follow the ace pilots around.

Yamato has two fighter types, and five paint jobs for them. They have two Cosmo Zeros...each painted differently. They have 36 Cosmo Falcons...One is grey and red, one is black, yellow, and blue, and the other 34 are blue, yellow, and grey. The four main pilots have their own colors so we can spot them quickly.
Old 2013-06-03, 20:55   Link #2258
YF19EX

Man eps 15 and 18 have some of the best ship to ship combat I have seen in any anime for a long time. Each frame unique, nothing repeated. Loved the little details here and there. The Yamato using starboard thrusters to ram itself into Dromel's flagship with the battle damage carrying itself into the next ep. Again attention to detail is spectacular.

There is also the nice contrast found in the two battles. In ep 15 you got Yamato facing a smaller (although outnumbered over 200 to one probably) concentrated ambush and being saved at the last minute. To jumping the naval review where they were outnumbered 10,000 to 1 but it was shooting fish in a barrel due to catching the fleet off guard and their formation not allowing for effective counter attack. Anaval Gato would be proud. And if one does not exist, Naval Reviews should become a trope for asking for disaster.

I know Dromel will be deploying the carriers and the drill missile ship. I can't remember what happened in the original, but did it involve another ambush? With most of the fleet in disarray and about at the midpoint from home, I think there may not be much left around the Gamillon homeworld. But I am sure the imperial guard still has most of its fleet close by.

Two more blurays to go and I know they will probably find a way to outdo these two battles. I am considering heading back to Tokyo for TGS but am probably going to miss the last show before it goes out of theaters.
YF19EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-03, 22:35   Link #2259
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I seem to recall that the great carrier battle was both a trap and a planned encounter. In the original, Dommel planned where he wanted to fight Yamato and then put forth a challege to Okita to fight there. Yamato knew the battle would be fought there, but Dommel had the advantage of knowing the terran and using technical advantages to cripple Yamato's ability to fight. Yamato wins via luck and skill for the most part. But it was extremely costly. They lost a lot of people that day and had a crippled ship by the end.

The next episode was set a month or so afterwards when they finally reached the Star System Iscandar is in. Just because it would take a while to fix all the damage Dommel did to Yamato in that fight.
Old 2013-06-04, 06:02   Link #2260
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by YF19EX View Post
Man eps 15 and 18 have some of the best ship to ship combat I have seen in any anime for a long time. Each frame unique, nothing repeated. Loved the little details here and there. The Yamato using starboard thrusters to ram itself into Dromel's flagship with the battle damage carrying itself into the next ep. Again attention to detail is spectacular.
I think this should be considered that this is some of the best ship to ship combat that I've seen in ANY visual science fiction I've seen in a long time.

I certainly found the space combat in Yamato 2199 much more exciting to watch than what I've seen in the newer Star Trek movies, which I get the feeling is all mostly lots of flashes and bright lights, despite technically having a greater level of detail. (it has more technical detail, but less thought out nuance).

...dammit. This makes me miss the Space Battles they had in Babylon 5. Those were awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YF19EX View Post
There is also the nice contrast found in the two battles. In ep 15 you got Yamato facing a smaller (although outnumbered over 200 to one probably) concentrated ambush and being saved at the last minute. To jumping the naval review where they were outnumbered 10,000 to 1 but it was shooting fish in a barrel due to catching the fleet off guard and their formation not allowing for effective counter attack. Anaval Gato would be proud. And if one does not exist, Naval Reviews should become a trope for asking for disaster.
That's a detail I liked to, even though the nuance went over the heads of some people on 4chan. Superior numbers mean very little unless you can properly level that force against the enemy.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato