AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Science & Technology

Notices

Old 2012-04-02, 13:35   Link #641
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Just implement a splitscreen mode in your ebook reader, then you could display two pages independently.
What for? Then you've got two tiny pages. It's not like people often read two pages at the same time...

Though I guess decreasing the load time would be nice.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 18:26   Link #642
Graskell
invisible man

AMS Mekatronic has developed a standing wheelchair they call the Tek Robotic Mobilization Device, which aims to do to the standard wheelchair what the automobile did to the horse-drawn buggy. If it works half as well as it looks, it could really improve the quality of life for a lot of people.

That is, if they can afford it. I have no idea how much one of these would cost, but I would imagine it would be pretty expensive.
Old 2012-04-02, 22:30   Link #643
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/flying...090000263.html

The flying car successfully flies!
Old 2012-04-02, 22:55   Link #644
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Still not quite to Back to the Future 2's version of 2015 flying cars, yet.

But we have three years to go.
Old 2012-04-02, 23:00   Link #645
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

I wonder what's the fuel consumption on that thing...
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 06:45   Link #646
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

US Navy: We're 4 Years Away From Laser Guns On Ships

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 06:49   Link #647
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Notice the date?
That's why I hate april 1. These articles will show up for at least another month, get reposted, which hides their initial date and just make us waste a lot of time.
Now this might be real, but I'd wait for a followup on anything that was posted on that day. And better hope the 'followup' is not actually just a repost.

I know they were working on this stuff (burning through engines as an application, instead of shooting down rockets which didn't quite work), so I am hopeful to hear more from it.
It is now a non lethal weapon to stop pirates short of blowing up their whole vessel, which I'd say is a nice idea.
Cue in Picard 'Target their engines and weapon systems... Now open a com channel.'.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 10:13   Link #648
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
Notice the date?
It says "March 30, 2012 | 4:30pm" to me. And March has 31 days. I highly doubt this is an April Fool's article.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 11:05   Link #649
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
6 Years away from a mounted lascannon, 8 years away from genetically engineered supersoldier strong enough to operate it without a mount, 10 years away from the collapse of democracy into an imposed religious conviction........

FOR THE EMPEROR!

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 12:27   Link #650
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

If that were the case, I propose the state religion be based on the God Empress Haruhi Suzumiya.
Old 2012-04-03, 18:01   Link #651
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
8 years away from genetically engineered supersoldier strong enough to operate it without a mount
I suspect we will see power-armor well before super soldiers. Modern infantry in urban combat zones is just too vulnerable.

Some of the stuff Boston Dynamics comes up with is frightening.

This little drone seems to have overcome the "Dalek" syndrom with stairs. Strap a bomb to it and it can even get through windows...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=6b4ZZQkcNEo
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 18:12   Link #652
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
I suspect we will see power-armor well before super soldiers. Modern infantry in urban combat zones is just too vulnerable.

Some of the stuff Boston Dynamics comes up with is frightening.

This little drone seems to have overcome the "Dalek" syndrom with stairs. Strap a bomb to it and it can even get through windows...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=6b4ZZQkcNEo
Actually what they need is this :

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-04-03, 20:43   Link #653
porous_shield

Quote:
I would love to watch mecha walk down the street. I figure though that with lives becoming more valuable over time that it's more likely to be robots out patrolling and drones hovering (already doing this) around keeping watch. There as been a progressive movement away from intense human involement in the battlefield with the urban warfare the last frontier.

I was reading somewhere (I can't find the blasted article) where they were discussing genetically engineering the population to make nicer people.
porous_shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 21:56   Link #654
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Considering we already have developed working exoskeletons that provide both reasonable mobility and substantially increased strength, yes we'll have power armor before genetically-enhanced super soldiers. Only thing that's really preventing further development is power sources.
Old 2012-04-03, 23:28   Link #655
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Considering we already have developed working exoskeletons that provide both reasonable mobility and substantially increased strength, yes we'll have power armor before genetically-enhanced super soldiers. Only thing that's really preventing further development is power sources.
I'd always figured we'll get the powered armour power source problem licked if we can find a way for the power armour to tap directly into the user's body for energy. That way, just provide powered armour soldiers with a high-calorie diet, and you're pretty much set.

Being a science idiot, it's probably a load of wishful thinking on my part though.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-04, 00:00   Link #656
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
I'd always figured we'll get the powered armour power source problem licked if we can find a way for the power armour to tap directly into the user's body for energy. That way, just provide powered armour soldiers with a high-calorie diet, and you're pretty much set.

Being a science idiot, it's probably a load of wishful thinking on my part though.
Unless you want the users to get high blood pressure, a high caloric diet is insane. A thermal power system should more or less work much more, but it has to be incredibly high efficiency. Fuel cells are another option, but with the soldiers running and jumping, they might become unstable.....I am not sure about downsizing those PEM fuel cells used by the new German subs though.

Of course, there is the calcium-based ceramic diet that helps to build super-strong bones.......when deployed on a ship, the dead soldiers can double up as anchors.

Old 2012-04-04, 03:55   Link #657
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
It says "March 30, 2012 | 4:30pm" to me. And March has 31 days. I highly doubt this is an April Fool's article.
It's not. We've had high intensity lasers for decades, it's the other parts of the weapon that have taken time to catch up technologically. The railgun is also going through successful trials.

Here's a PR video for the laser system that went public a few years back:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

and the railgun:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

From a science standpoint, "future weapons" are pretty darn cool. From a "dear god we're all going to die" standpoint, they're not so far off in the future as one might think......and the military is by far the largest investor and driver in scientific R&D.

Edit: Saw this post, don't want to double post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by porous_shield View Post
I was reading somewhere (I can't find the blasted article) where they were discussing genetically engineering the population to make nicer people.
Here's a version of the article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1391357.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by from article
-Treat people with hormones, such as oxytocin, to make us more altruistic and empathetic. As a result, people would be more willing to act as a group and more sensitive to the suffering of animals and other people caused by climate change.
That didn't work out too well in the movie Firefly.
Old 2012-04-04, 04:13   Link #658
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I'm a gigantic whore for transhumanism, I can't wait until I can implant a chip in my head so I can do multivariable calculus without a pad and pen.
Old 2012-04-04, 04:28   Link #659
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Who needs technology? It's all in the genes. Check out Stan Lee's Super Humans sometime, the power of the human body is incredible.
Old 2012-04-04, 04:42   Link #660
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Who needs technology? It's all in the genes. Check out Stan Lee's Super Humans sometime, the power of the human body is incredible.
My genes are not augmented.