AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-11-06, 08:10   Link #61
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

When they need that ass woopin its ok.. male or female... a nice slap for the female or male.. like on so many anime/games I've seen.

now if its Beat To death Angel Dokuro Chan... The more Boy Bashing Gore Goodnees the better... oh yea and Zakuro screen time >all
Old 2007-11-07, 12:23   Link #62
Hotaru Suzume
Ten oorlog!
*Artist

Why is it funny? I think "Is it funny in the first place?" could be more appropriate given a lot of the posts here that I've read. A woman beating a man is just a working of ironic humour, and as with any joke, some people will laugh so hard they can't breathe, while others will find it deeply offensive.
I myself don't find it funny, I just think it's rather silly and pointless.
Hotaru Suzume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-07, 13:19   Link #63
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Silly and pointless is the best description ... but why is it funny for many people to watch Roadrunner/Coyote cartoons when it is basically an animated version of, say, Pachobel's Canon --- a repeated theme with minor variations?

In anime, I think that's what writers are shooting for --- its just that they frequently miss the mark and it ends up just looking like they can't write their way out of a paper lantern and use the gag to get out of a corner.

For the record, I could probably watch Coyote's version of Sisyphus and his boulder all day long O.o
Old 2007-11-07, 17:46   Link #64
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Silly and pointless is the best description ... but why is it funny for many people to watch Roadrunner/Coyote cartoons when it is basically an animated version of, say, Pachobel's Canon --- a repeated theme with minor variations?
...For the record, the earliest drawing I made that I still have - was probably around four or so - features Wile E. Coyote and Roadrunner in the episode in which Coyoto paints a road on a boulder and Roadrunner runs right through it. I must've gotten pissed; the first block of my drawing shows Coyote painting the road on the boulder, second shows him hiding (just as in the episode), third shows Roadrunner going *SPLAT* against the boulder, fourth shows Coyote peeling him off, and fifth shows Coyoto boiling him in his big pot. I even added a "flavor chart" that's appeared on some episode or another (Roadrunner's feet being vanilla-flavored and his neck being grape-flavored, for example).

As for girls beating up on guys... This is why I stopped reading Love Hina halfway into it. I can't take massive amounts of beatery... though I am more tolerate of same-sex beatings, especially if done in a creative [read: evil] way rather than just shameless slapping, punching, and kicking (Machi + Ayano).
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-07, 18:26   Link #65
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

aye... by the end of Love Hina
Spoiler for just in case there's a few eyeballs that haven't read the series:
Old 2007-11-07, 18:54   Link #66
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
Ranma 1/2: Wasn't funny.
Love Hina: Wasn't funny.
FLCL: Wasn't funny.
Kodomo no Jikan: Wasn't funny.
etc.,etc.

Oh snap, it turns out that girls being up guys for no reason is, in fact, absent of anything resembling this thing called "humor". WHO WOULD HAVE EVER GUESSED?

I find it funny when people tell me "Ranma/Love Hina,FLCL,etc. was funny. The point was never about slapstick abuse against Ranma/Keitaro/etc. anyway. Read or watch moar.", as if I haven't seen much of the series above, because we all know that those series revolve around beating the beJesus out of the male protagonist, right? Pretentious assumptions are jam-packed with humor.

Last edited by OutPhase; 2007-11-10 at 19:01.
OutPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-08, 05:05   Link #67
Honey_and_Cleaver

Slapstick jokes isnt so simple minded just as dirty jokes. Theyre no different. Jokes are just jokes.
Honey_and_Cleaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-08, 09:09   Link #68
GoldAlchemist
Yamada...

Incongruous behavior always makes people laugh, whether it is a girl beating up a guy, Jerry forever tricking Tom or Road Runner escaping Wile E. Coyote.
GoldAlchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-08, 11:40   Link #69
siya
An Intellectual Idiot

Location: The Internet, ranging from the World of Warcraft------Deviantart----and much more!..My mostly WoW
I dunno...It is funny though...If you take like YuYu Hakusho and Dragonball Z and stuffs, the Women are waay stronger then the villains, they can beat them up with ease...but I think it's some kinda comic relif thing...
siya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-08, 20:25   Link #70
RavenHawk
Tsundere Killer

Send a message via MSN to RavenHawk Send a message via Yahoo to RavenHawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by siya View Post
I dunno...It is funny though...If you take like YuYu Hakusho and Dragonball Z and stuffs, the Women are waay stronger then the villains, they can beat them up with ease...but I think it's some kinda comic relif thing...
When they defend themselves when purposely oppressed, that's fine with me. Most villains think they can 'fend for themselves, only later to be beaten up. That kind of beat down is fine with me ya know.
RavenHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-08, 22:13   Link #71
Darklord_bg
Hallowed Redeemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by siya View Post
Of course it's comic relief! You can't seriously think that they are stronger than the villains or the main guys. If they were really that strong, why don't they show it in a real fight? It is because they can't - they are really pretty weak.

The problem is, even though it is intended for comic relief, it's not really funny. In Tom & Jerry and the Road Runner the situation is different because one of the guys is trying to catch and eat the other guy, so he pretty much deserves what he gets. Besides, the whole situation is much more unrealistic and the whole show is about the comedy. There really isn't an anime analog to those sorts of shows (there probably is, but I cannot think of one right now).

In anime, even in a pure comedy, the characters are much more realistic and have some real relationships with each other, so it is much easier to identify with them. As a result, you don't find it that funny anymore when they are physically abused. Also, the guys who usually end up beaten are not really asking for it like Tom or the coyote. They usually end up getting beaten die to some misunderstanding or to some insensitive comment they make.

For those reasons I do not think comparing the "girl beats up the guy" tendency to shows like Tom & Jerry and Road Runner is very appropriate. I find the latter pretty funny, and the former - not funny at all.
Old 2007-11-08, 22:30   Link #72
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Violence is always amusing.... okay not really.

But "seriously", though, there is something to be said for slapstick humor.
Old 2007-11-09, 04:36   Link #73
Khaos

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklord_bg View Post
There really isn't an anime analog to those sorts of shows (there probably is, but I cannot think of one right now).
Something like Ebichu?
Though I felt much more pity for the hamster than I'd ever feel for Coyote.

Which brings me to an important point:
When Coyote or Tom fail, the tend to look very stupid or get angry, but they never ever show serious signs of emotional suffering. But how many times do you see Ebichu cry?
Another example, Sakura from Dokuro-chan doesn't cry while again and again he's reduced to a pile of guts and gore, he gets angry or slightly offended, more like Coyote ot Tom. Now you can find it funny, because there's nothing that shows a serious emotional impact, Sakura is really not in love with Dokuro...well and becuse that show is just to insane to be taken serious.
But if tha violence comes from someone the main character is in love with, that makes it totally different, now you really sympathize wih him.

Violence stops being funny, if there are serious emotions.
Khaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-09, 19:08   Link #74
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldAlchemist View Post
Incongruous behavior always makes people laugh, whether it is a girl beating up a guy, Jerry forever tricking Tom or Road Runner escaping Wile E. Coyote.
The difference is that Road Runner never actually does anything and it's Coyote's fault for getting himself injured or the thing he uses to try to capture the Road Runner. In Tom and Jerry, at least Tom can get revenge successfully on Jerry and they are on even ground when it's just the two of them going head-to-head.

However, in anime, it's always the girl beating up on the guy, and for no inexplicable reason whatsoever most of the time, hence why I find girl-beats-up-guy shit unfunny since there are two sides, but only one is fighting, whereas in those cartoons there are two sides going against each other. Although the Road Runner is a pacifist, he can still outsmart Coyote. There is no cause-and-effect, but rather bitchy-girl-gets-pissed-over-nothing-and-effect. The one-sided beat-up-so-and-so is also the reason why I hate Sylvester and Tweety cartoons and find them to be the worst cartoons in the pre-1970s era of Warner Brothers.

To shorten my post: "No rivalry, no humor".
OutPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-10, 02:51   Link #75
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

I always enjoy it even more if its stereotypical shonen. The hero is all macho and ends up saving the world but heroine always ends beating him up. Is it abuse or a feather in the cap of women's lib .... NO that’s just overanalyzing and going too deep into the matter

Its one of the clichés of anime I have gotten used to and come to enjoy . Why I find it amusing because it obeys anime laws

Quote:
The martial arts expert is always defenseless against a slap from the girl who loves him.
Old 2007-11-10, 10:51   Link #76
RavenHawk
Tsundere Killer

Some enjoy it, some don't. Me, I don't. It only hurts my pride as a man.
Old 2007-11-10, 11:08   Link #77
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
it depends on the situation and who it is happening to imo...well if someone deserves an ass kicking then wohoo to that, but in other cases i just find the way louise tortures saito in ZnT a load of crap (for the past millionth time)

flip to the other side its funny how watching girls getting beaten up not amusing at all ^^ (unless again its a bitch who deserves it but still no were near as funny when it happens to their male counterparts).

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-10, 11:25   Link #78
whitewater_81
...sigh...

Send a message via MSN to whitewater_81 Send a message via Yahoo to whitewater_81
It only works for me a little if the girl who beats up the guy,etc. is a Tsundere..no more no less..not even a chuckle
Old 2007-11-10, 13:32   Link #79
RavenHawk
Tsundere Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
it depends on the situation and who it is happening to imo...well if someone deserves an ass kicking then wohoo to that, but in other cases i just find the way louise tortures saito in ZnT a load of crap (for the past millionth time)

flip to the other side its funny how watching girls getting beaten up not amusing at all ^^ (unless again its a bitch who deserves it but still no were near as funny when it happens to their male counterparts).
Like I said, the oppressors will get the beating. I mean a beatdown just for no reason whatsoever is like what you said in ZnT, a load of crap. And some girls do deserve a beating, but only if they act like bitches. But no reason violence is for me, not amusing whatsoever.

I'm just lucky in the real world, I haven't broken a girl's wrist(s) yet. Don't get me wrong, there was once a girl I knew and she was acting like a bitch, even hitting me on the head. I tried to be gentle and talk, but she just wouldn't cut it out. So I twisted her right wrist. Luckily like I said, I didn't break it.
Old 2007-11-10, 15:59   Link #80
aldw

The only thing I can think of that would mitigate the tastelessness of Louise-like behaviour is that those aren't quite as nasty as Yanderes, those need to be chucked feet first into a giant grinder.
aldw is offline   Reply With Quote