Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-11-21, 15:57   Link #161
Hotaru Suzume
Ten oorlog!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperidge View Post
I've noticed that there are quite a few Canadians here. While this is a forum devoted to fansubs and unlicensed anime, I wanted to know what your opinions on the current state of licensed anime in Canada is.

You'd all probably agree that it's pretty bleak. Because all legal access to Cartoon Network is blocked out and most stations are content abiding by strict Canadian content policies, the only uncut show that airs here is Inu-Yasha (in fact, it's virtually the only show we get apart from Yu-Gi-Oh!, Beyblade, etc). The fact that the only anime company to have appropriate DVD distribution up here is Manga Entertainment (*puke*) doesn't compliment this well. ADV is improving, but they're stuff still doesn't hit store shelves in any kind of reliable fashion. Bandai is SUPPOSED to be improving, but I haven't heard about any progress concerning that.

It's really quite sad, considering that Canadian content standards would allow virtually anything to air uncut, and anime has a lot more potential in the Canadian market than it does in the intolerant American market, IMO. I guess that's why there are a lot of Canadians hanging around bittorrent sites.
Believe me, it's worse in England, we barely even get Pokemon, let alone Inuyasha. ._.
The only Western nation with anything close to decent anime and manga access seems to be the USA.
Hotaru Suzume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-21, 17:54   Link #162
Dassasin
Blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Probably their translation for his over-use of the japanese language particle "YO" at the end of every sentence (good old Assertion Boy Naruto).

My gods you've committed necromancy on a three year dead thread
Hi, welcome to the forums -- it is a Good Idea to read the rules and FAQ.
Also check to see if the conversation you're joining is long dead unless you're actually adding new information.
I just joined this forum so I could test my gifs.
Old 2007-11-22, 03:04   Link #163
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Well not only does everything cost like 10% more in Canada on the base price, there's also a 14% tax. Some firms are looking for ways to correct this (specifically book publishers right now) with offers such as rebates, matching price with the U.S price (it says it right on the sticker) or in some cases even going lower by adding a new sticker. It'll take time to fully readjust the prices on all items, and not everybodys is going to do it either. Hopefully the price of DVD's comes down too so it's not like 30 dollars a DVD plus tax anymore.

Also it's doubtful that the Harper government will make any big moves to get involved in all this since they are oh so keen on not getting involved in anything unless there's a threat of a gay marriage (unthinkable).
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-22, 06:22   Link #164
Navel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotaru Suzume View Post
Believe me, it's worse in England, we barely even get Pokemon, let alone Inuyasha. ._.
The only Western nation with anything close to decent anime and manga access seems to be the USA.
Anime is very common in France. I think it's the main European country where anime is quite common, anime dvds being sold at very low prices for complete boxsets (no dubbing, only subs). Something like 30-50 euros for a complete series is not unexpected.
Navel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-22, 19:06   Link #165
Hotaru Suzume
Ten oorlog!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navel View Post
Anime is very common in France. I think it's the main European country where anime is quite common, anime dvds being sold at very low prices for complete boxsets (no dubbing, only subs). Something like 30-50 euros for a complete series is not unexpected.
Wow, cool; I prefer subs. Too bad I have no notion on the French language, actually buying the things may be an issue. xD
Hotaru Suzume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 01:33   Link #166
Aznbanana

Where do you guys get your manga in the Toronto Area? I live in Richmond Hill and i only know one place where i can get my manga and thats at a comic book store. I'm looking for like Light Novels but they don't carry it. The store only carries Tokyopop releases so that sucks. And other then Pacific mall, where else is there to buy anime? Cuz i cant bring myself to buy fake stuff.
Aznbanana is offline   Reply With Quote