AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Favourite Moe Element?
Animal Eared Moe 20 14.93%
Fighter Girl Moe 29 21.64%
Glasses Moe 38 28.36%
Imouto Moe 34 25.37%
Magical Girl Moe 20 14.93%
Maid Moe 27 20.15%
Moe-blob Moe 33 24.63%
Silent Girl Moe 42 31.34%
Tsundere Moe 79 58.96%
Other (Please identify) 21 15.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-11-22, 23:59   Link #1
cicido
I'm so moe I kill myself
*Artist

Favourite Moe Element?

I just got interest about what kind of moe does people prefer after living in the Saimoe thread. That is also the moment I realized how much moe attribute there are . So feel free to add more into the discussion because I certainly missed a lot.

Made the icons just for fun.
EDIT: Fixed

Last edited by cicido; 2007-11-24 at 00:39.
cicido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 00:04   Link #2
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638
Nobody but Shana for me, I guess.
minhtam1638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 05:27   Link #3
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

I'm still trying to get a handle on just what "moe" is. I know I like it, just not exactly sure where one element ends and the other begins.

What about "clumsy" moe?

And could someone please enlighten me a little... what is Moe-blob and Imouto?

What about cute-shy laugh? I'm thinking Misuzu from 'Air' and her "Nihaha."
Mushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 05:39   Link #4
-PoLLuX-
死体。。。上手にうめられた?
*Graphic Designer

Well, Tsundere since most of my favourite characters are Tsundere. I am too just starting to understand moe
-PoLLuX- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 05:40   Link #5
Oppius
Banned

Imouto type for me...

Come here Maika,let your dear onii-chan give a hug...at my room...

Last edited by Oppius; 2007-11-23 at 05:54.
Oppius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 05:42   Link #6
UltimaWolf
~Nani...?~

Tsundere for me aswell
Old 2007-11-23, 05:44   Link #7
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushi View Post
And could someone please enlighten me a little... what is Moe-blob and Imouto?
Imouto is a little sister. I'm afraid I can't help you on Moe-blob. Perhaps someone else will be kind enough to enlighten us both.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 05:52   Link #8
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

to my understanding, the Moe-blob type is rather a category with several "too cute" traits, such like having a childish look, being clumsy, naive, hopeless (in several difficult/unpredictable situations) but still keeping on hardship, devoted, etc.

More likely, it is better to actually take some characters as "model", to label a moe-blob... biggest examples in my mind are probably Mikuru (Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu) and Kaede (Shuffle!)
Old 2007-11-23, 05:53   Link #9
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Thank you. That fits in with Aoi (Myself; Yourself) often being referred to as a moe-blob. I've been wondering about the description.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 05:59   Link #10
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Tsundere ftw.

Now, if only they were half as nice in real life.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 06:19   Link #11
anselfir
Style Über Alles

Intelligent, independent and strong characters.
Old 2007-11-23, 07:31   Link #12
Eviltape

Tsundere and Moe-blob. Tsundere because it makes for a great plot setup and it's just plain entertaining to see the entirely red face accompanied by stuttering every now and then, also making for characters who aren't hopeless people you want to throw into space. Moe-blob because there's just some moments when I tilt my head down, pinch the bridge of my nose, and mutter, "She's just too damn cute."
Eviltape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 10:10   Link #13
OverFunk
It will never be the year

I picked Tsundere and Fighter Girl, which are of course related to my favorite moe. Also Imouto, since I usually melt when I hear "Onii-chan". I also picked other, since traits like Zettai Ryouiki and Yandere weren't included.

Never forget
OverFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 10:50   Link #14
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

For Me...
Imouto Moe..
Maid Moe..
Moe-blob Moe...
Silent Girl Moe...
Tsundere Moe...
I can't refuse their Cute Faces
Old 2007-11-23, 12:45   Link #15
Shana

Glasses, Imouto's, silent-type and tsunderes are FTW!
Old 2007-11-23, 12:50   Link #16
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Does "tennen" and "boke" fall into the "moe-blob" category?

I think both mean "absent minded", though "tennen" would be just dreamy and cheerful most of the time, while "boke" can be clumsy.

Take Lucky Star for example, Tsukasa would be what I call "tennen" and Miyuki a "boke".

And then there's "yandere". (Ryuguu "USODA" Rena comes to mind. )
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 12:57   Link #17
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
Does "tennen" and "boke" fall into the "moe-blob" category?

I think both mean "absent minded", though "tennen" would be just dreamy and cheerful most of the time, while "boke" can be clumsy.

Take Lucky Star for example, Tsukasa would be what I call "tennen" and Miyuki a "boke".
Probably. Much like the "moe" definition itself, it is rather vague and very debatable. I would count both trait to be part of moe-blob i believe (Tsukasa and Miyuki are definitely moe blob in my books)
Quote:
And then there's "yandere". (Ryuguu "USODA" Rena comes to mind. )
Err... nope, if we stick on "yandere" definition, Rena is obviously not one of them, but Shion might be.
Explaining without spoiler is a bit tricky, but for Rena's case, her "sicky/psycho" mode isn't related to her caring/lovely side, so she isn't a yandere (Not really similar to Kaede)
Rena would be more like a Yangire, but heh ^^"

*sigh* problem with yandere is the slippy field, as it is so easy to actually spoil without knowing. >_>
Old 2007-11-23, 13:34   Link #18
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushi View Post
I'm still trying to get a handle on just what "moe" is. I know I like it, just not exactly sure where one element ends and the other begins.
"Moe" can be used to refer to anything that sparks an interest in some one, but is generally used to refer to a something that (to quote the somewhat confusing Wikipedia article) "elicits a protective or loving response from the audience". One could feel "moe" for a kitten, but really, in our realm, non-sexual attraction to character aspects associated with youthful femininity. That's not to say that it can't be something that also evokes sexual attraction, or that many overly-lonely men and the industry that panders to them don't sexualize "moe elements", but "moe" itself is non-sexual.

"Moe" is the feeling. The "moe element" is whatever evokes it, whether it be something that inspires paternal feelings (clumsiness, child-like appearance), something that is cute (twin-tail hairstyle, cat-ears, any number of clothing choices), something that is generally typified for the sexual response it evokes--but, of course, the moe feeling is the non-sexual part of the emotional response to it (large breasts, absolute territory), a personality trait (silent girl), relationship-type (little sister, tsundere), a sympathetic character plight (injured), or--and here's where the hard-core fandom often moves beyond my understanding--any number of non-sexual fetishes (maids, magical girls, elves).

Clearly, it's a very subjective thing. What makes your heart go pitter-patter?

See also:
- kj1980's post on the subject
- A translation of Love Hina author Ken Akamatsu's blog entry on the subject on and the ensuing discussion.

...That answered, I guess it's time for me to answer the survey question.

My favorite moe element? I don't think there's a word for it. Characters with a mature, kind, all-encompassing femininity who possess inner strength of character... well, defining it is hard, but examples would be Nayuki (and her mother, Akiko!) and Sayuri in Kanon, Shinku (and to a slightly lesser extent, Suiseiseki) in Rozen Maiden, Matsuri in Sola, Minagi in Air, Aki in Keroro Gunsou, Miyuki in Lucky Star, and Mikuru from The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi (the "inner strength" can be hard to see there, but it's visible during the rare times she's not reduced to a quivering mass by realizing how close to being thought out of existence she is). That sort of character is enough to lower my Moe Defense Shields, but if they then expose emotional vulnerability, I'm done for. It's looking like Kotomi and Tomoyo in Clannad may be up for nominations soon.

Mark my words, I will find a term to use for this!

Being a big brother, I have a different type of moe response for those that don't fit in the first category but are still cute, feminine characters with emotional vulnerability or sympathetic plight, and bonus points for the "inner strength" bit (Misuzu in Air, Hina Ichigo in Rozen Maiden).

Also of note: Style-wise, I also have an appreciation for glasses and, after watching Rozen Maiden, understated gothloli fashions. On the emotional end, while tsundere is definitely not one of my moe elements, females who are unable to express their emotions and affection due to pride or denial sometimes can be (Mai in Kanon, Suigintou and Suiseiseki in Rozen Maiden, Tomoko in Canvas2). I am also an absolute sucker for soothing, yet strong, voices, which are exemplified in almost all of the examples I listed for my unnamed-but-favorite moe element (the voices for Shinku, Matsuri, and Kotomi especially--and, just to mention it, the Sola "preview" with Mayuko and adult Koyori bantering--make me melt). Any other notable ones... are secret!

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.

Last edited by Kyuusai; 2007-11-23 at 13:53.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 14:25   Link #19
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Well... let's see *thinking* *thinking really hard now* I don't think I have one. Anime girls are just anime girls to me. While I think they're cute and all that, I suppose mine would just fall under cute/IMO ^^

Tsundere moe wins? What a surprise for me. Also I didn't know we could add images into polls :confuse:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
"Moe" can be used to refer to anything that sparks an interest in some one, but is generally used to refer to a something that (to quote the somewhat confusing Wikipedia article) "elicits a protective or loving response from the audience". One could feel "moe" for a kitten, but really, in our realm, non-sexual attraction to character aspects associated with youthful femininity. That's not to say that it can't be something that also evokes sexual attraction, or that many overly-lonely men and the industry that panders to them don't sexualize "moe elements", but "moe" itself is non-sexual.

"Moe" is the feeling. The "moe element" is whatever evokes it, whether it be something that inspires paternal feelings (clumsiness, child-like appearance), something that is cute (twin-tail hairstyle, cat-ears, any number of clothing choices), something that is generally typified for the sexual response it evokes--but, of course, the moe feeling is the non-sexual part of the emotional response to it (large breasts, absolute territory), a personality trait (silent girl), relationship-type (little sister, tsundere), a sympathetic character plight (injured), or--and here's where the hard-core fandom often moves beyond my understanding--any number of non-sexual fetishes (maids, magical girls, elves).

Clearly, it's a very subjective thing. What makes your heart go pitter-patter?

See also:
- kj1980's post on the subject
- A translation of Love Hina author Ken Akamatsu's blog entry on the subject on and the ensuing discussion.

...That answered, I guess it's time for me to answer the survey question.

My favorite moe element? I don't think there's a word for it. Characters with a mature, kind, all-encompassing femininity who possess inner strength of character... well, defining it is hard, but examples would be Nayuki (and her mother, Akiko!) and Sayuri in Kanon, Shinku (and to a slightly lesser extent, Suiseiseki) in Rozen Maiden, Matsuri in Sola, Minagi in Air, Aki in Keroro Gunsou, Miyuki in Lucky Star, and Mikuru from The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi (the "inner strength" can be hard to see there, but it's visible during the rare times she's not reduced to a quivering mass by realizing how close to being thought out of existence she is). That sort of character is enough to lower my Moe Defense Shields, but if they then expose emotional vulnerability, I'm done for. It's looking like Kotomi and Tomoyo in Clannad may be up for nominations soon.

Mark my words, I will find a term to use for this!

Being a big brother, I have a different type of moe response for those that don't fit in the first category but are still cute, feminine characters with emotional vulnerability or sympathetic plight, and bonus points for the "inner strength" bit (Misuzu in Air, Hina Ichigo in Rozen Maiden).

Also of note: Style-wise, I also have an appreciation for glasses and, after watching Rozen Maiden, understated gothloli fashions. On the emotional end, while tsundere is definitely not one of my moe elements, females who are unable to express their emotions and affection due to pride or denial sometimes can be (Mai in Kanon, Suigintou and Suiseiseki in Rozen Maiden, Tomoko in Canvas2). I am also an absolute sucker for soothing, yet strong, voices, which are exemplified in almost all of the examples I listed for my unnamed-but-favorite moe element (the voices for Shinku, Matsuri, and Kotomi especially--and, just to mention it, the Sola "preview" with Mayuko and adult Koyori bantering--make me melt). Any other notable ones... are secret!
hahaha, I knew someone was gonna bring up Akamatsu's Moe element article ^_^

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 14:37   Link #20
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Potemayo-moe. But where does she fit in?

EDIT: I think neither "Animal Eared Moe" nor "Moe-blob Moe" capture the essence of Potemayo's moeness. So it's "other moe"