AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-11-26, 00:52   Link #1
Yakult

Something from anime in real life?

Is it weird if you want to create something you've seen in an anime show? I'm not talking about creating Gundams, robot sex dolls, genetically altered girls with big eyes or superhumans who can go Super Saiya-Jin.

I've recently started watching Hayate no Gotoku and I'm so into it even though it's a bit silly... However, I've dreamed of being able to help the underprivileged student by creating a school similar to the one in Hayate no Gotoku. Of course, it's a school with mainly rich and wealthy students but the fact that one can get in through a placement test sounds pretty good (-minus the tuition cost of course). I've lived for 17 years in a pretty ghetto horrible area and went to crappy schools from pre-school up to the 8th grade. However, I got into a pretty wealthy public school which receives a lot of donations from the local supporters. Looking back, I've realized that I entered this school with a hatred for school but slowly transformed from an indifferent student to someone who does well in school.

I've related this change to my school environment. When I went into a school that was poorly funded with teachers that didn't care at all, I fostered a hatred for school. I would rather ditch than be at school. My grades were horrible. I entered my new school with that same mentality but it slowly changed. The teachers were better. The campus was 10x cleaner than the previous school. The school didn't look like a prison with fences all around it. Now, I'm a pretty top-notch student.

However, when I think of my school as the main factor improving my overall being, I think about the other students who didn't get accepted and attend lower ranking schools. The school system here funds schools with higher attendance rates and higher test scores and gives less money to schools with lower attendance rates and lower test scores. Thus, I believe the schools which are weaker in academics to begin with attract underpaid angry unqualified teachers and are in an never-ending cycle to never improve. This puts the students who live around that area to be stuck with the horrible environment.

Of course, there are others who just don't want to be in school, but that's another story. It's a sad story when kids with potential are stuck in low-quality schools.

Ah.. so relating this back to Hayate no Gotoku. After watching it for a bit, it would be cool if there were a school that took in students from preschool to the 12th grade and then gave them quality education. It would be similar to a private school except students who have academic potential, the will to work, and financial need would be admitted for free or receive immense reductions in tuition. Of course, the school would need money so it would charge students who wish to enter purely through money a high fee. Theres a lot of flaws in this idea I'm sure but I haven't really thought it out... This whole idea is just a thought I just had. The main point of this post was to ask if it is strange that I got this idea after watching an anime I've always wanted to help people but this was the weirdest one yet... Has anyone else gotten other strange ideas to create something out of an anime too?
Yakult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-26, 00:56   Link #2
ChibiMenos
Gillian-class Chibi

That actually sounds like a really good idea...I wonder if there are already places like that somewhere? It sounds a little like the magnet schools I remember from when I was little (though I failed to get into one of those...I was so disappointed.)

The strangest thing I've thought of trying to make from an anime would be some of Orihime's strange food combinations from Bleach. Me and a couple of friends are actually planning on trying her cake and red bean paste sandwich.... I have the ingredients and everything already, now we just need to find a time we can all get together to make it. That's not nearly such a big thing though.
ChibiMenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-26, 01:28   Link #3
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
I personally do not know of any school system in which grade K-12 is taught in a single campus, but that can be a neat idea. Ahh... I can realize that day now ^^

Anime in real life, I personally don't really care, but that's what you got merchandise and cosplaying for ^_^

PS: I should really go into politics like I really wanted to now >.<, quit this annoying engineering major ^^

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-26, 01:32   Link #4
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
I personally do not know of any school system in which grade K-12 is taught in a single campus, but that can be a neat idea. Ahh... I can realize that day now ^^
Japan has quite a few, and Korea has like one or two, with several middle~high schools.
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-26, 01:37   Link #5
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae View Post
Japan has quite a few, and Korea has like one or two, with several middle~high schools.
I live in America, and I believe they have none. I think the advantages of that would outweight the others.

It's just like what my friends and cousin said, "you don't realize how important school is till after you graduate" ^^

How Ironic, it goes the same with your major. You don't know what you really want to do till 3 years after you completed your first major ^^

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-26, 01:40   Link #6
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
How Ironic, it goes the same with your major. You don't know what you really want to do till 3 years after you completed your first major ^^
I'm majoring in political economics, and it's something I want to do.

I'm already working part time at a consulting school while in university >_>
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-26, 01:41   Link #7
Yakult

Hmm.. if I could I would like to make a living by tasting tea or watching Anime all day or playing MMOs all day or ................ But more realistically I want to first make a living doing research on diseases.

Back on topic. It does kind of sound like a magnet school. I take the school bus every morning for an hour and 15 minute bus ride x_x Thank god that I'm finally graduating! Yay (:
Yakult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-26, 01:52   Link #8
Ziv

Quote:
I live in America, and I believe they have none. I think the advantages of that would outweight the others.

It's just like what my friends and cousin said, "you don't realize how important school is till after you graduate" ^^

I went to a private school in Anchorage Alaska that had k-12 in one campus.
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-26, 02:40   Link #9
Kyomi
What do I know?

I'm not that much of an enthusiastic but I can't say it's a bad thing keep it up I guess.

I lost all interest after the idea of Gundams was excluded.
Old 2007-11-26, 12:26   Link #10
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
As ChibiMenos already said, that does sound like magnet schools.

Unfortunately, most magnet schools cannot outcompete private schools. I attended a public boarding magnet for most of high school, and it was probably one of the best experiences of my life.

Sadly, there's a lot of factors that go into this type of thing.
At my school, every teacher had a PhD, save for one or two. It was junior + senior only, and had only 60 students per class (30 male, 30 female), so ~120 students total, though the number dropped a bit by the time we graduated. Just so you know how much it costs to provide for each of us, tuition WOULD'VE been around $22,000 per year--if the school was private. It was public though, so all we had to pay was a $2000 per year fee for food and boarding... and even that was waiverable if your family's income wasn't high enough to cover it. To top it off, we didn't have a principal or vice principal... we had a president and several vice presidents (ie, of finance), even a board of trustees from local corporations. There were even billboards all over the state advertising the school. The general belief was that if they fostered education, there would be a good chance that after graduation from college or whatever, we would come back to the state and help push the economy forward.

Either way, I'm sure you can see that by running such a school, it would take a tremendous amount of money, as well as a good amount of reasoning. When I attended it, we had just moved from using a nearby college's facilities into a brand new four-story building. Sadly, because the state actually CUT our funds (they didn't think it was worth it... stupid governor!) we didn't have several key facilities like a gymnasium or lab. Wasn't that bad, since we still had the local college to use, as well as the YMCA.

Here's a link to my school's website. There's a lot of schools similar to it in many states.

http://www.scgssm.org/
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-26, 16:20   Link #11
ChibiMenos
Gillian-class Chibi

@ Papaya - Lucky. I envy you a bit.^^

Funding is always a problem for any school, especially those with higher expenses.... relying on either the govt or on donations and such from local businesses isn't a good solution, but it really does seem to be the only one for a public school. (I remember with anger the year in middle school when all of our computers were replaced with new, donated machines... and they fired the comp tech and keyboarding instructors and put the lunch aides in charge of the labs.)

It's still possible to make a quality school available to low-income students, but I think it would definitely have to be a private venture. The biggest difficulty might be finding a sponsor who'd be willing to help fund the project right at the beginning... I suspect that finding teachers and students would be less difficult. Perhaps for the first few years, entrance would be based solely on examinations, to build up the reputation as a smart kids school, and then after that a certain number of spots (maybe 20-50%?) could be offered for a high tuition.

Of course, a K-12 school would be out of the question to begin with, and early students would probably also have to commute rather than live on campus... but still,. anything is better than the nightmare of being the smartest kid in an underfunded school....especially elementary...where the curriculum is so far behind they have to send you up 2 grade levels to challenge you, and you have a "gifted" class a half hour bus ride away every other Friday that is the only interesting thing you ever do at school.

Heh, now I'm really getting into this.
ChibiMenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-26, 20:58   Link #12
Faeyice
it's animal, unbelievable
*Graphic Designer

Quote:

Anime in real life, I personally don't really care, but that's what you got merchandise and cosplaying for ^_^

PS: I should really go into politics like I really wanted to now >.<, quit this annoying engineering major ^^
I went to a school that had Preschool through the 12th grade, and it also functioned as a church.
Old 2007-11-26, 23:11   Link #13
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyomi View Post
I'm not that much of an enthusiastic but I can't say it's a bad thing keep it up I guess.

I lost all interest after the idea of Gundams was excluded.
I lost all interest after the idea of genetically altered sex-dolls was excluded.
Old 2007-11-27, 15:32   Link #14
User65554
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ai Suzuki View Post
I went to a school that had Preschool through the 12th grade, and it also functioned as a church.
Yeah, I've also been to a school that had K-12 on the same campus (although it didn't have a church).
User65554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-27, 16:17   Link #15
Hotaru Suzume
Ten oorlog!
*Artist

We don't pay for public education in this country anyway, though schools that take students from their first to their last minutes of their school life is a good idea, keeps everything under one roof...
Hotaru Suzume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-27, 18:29   Link #16
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
For those of you who went to K-12 systems, can you provide more details?
State?
Public/private?
Boarding?
Religious affiliation?

One of the better benefits I've heard of to rise from K-12 systems involves having older students spend time with younger students in mentoring and tutoring sessions.
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-27, 20:07   Link #17
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaya View Post
State?
Public/private?
Boarding?
Religious affiliation?

One of the better benefits I've heard of to rise from K-12 systems involves having older students spend time with younger students in mentoring and tutoring sessions.
This is sort of deviating from the topic and becoming a sub-discussion about education in general...

I went to a system where it was K-12 all in the same general vicinity, but it was broken into three buildings: K-5, 6-8, and 9-12. In this case, only two of the three were near each other, and all school activities took place in the respective buildings. As a result, there wasn't much mixing between the grades, but the system was incredibly small and everyone knew everyone else. The school had some programs where 5th graders might interact with 2nd graders, but beyond elementary school it wasn't really existent.

My girlfriend went to a private school that had K-12 all on one campus. She entered at grade 9, so the experience of being in that sort of system from K may be a bit different. However, it sounds like there was not much mixing, either. I had the pleasure of visiting the school, and it seems that even though it was all the same campus, the campus was relatively large, and different sections of the campus held the majority of people from certain grades. In other words, all of the elementary schoolers would use certain areas of campus, while middle schoolers would move on to another. Unlike my school experience, school was not held in a single central building, but between multiple buildings and areas (this may reflect a difference between Northeast schools and Hawaiian schools). In that way, there was still geographical isolation. A middle schooler may have had the opportunity to work with a high schooler in shared events (such as orchestra), but even then most events are tiered to skill levels, and it's only natural that you'll likely find yourself grouped with others of a similar age.

It's a nice idea that older students would help younger students, but I don't think that it'll happen just because there's an environment where everyone is together. If someone feels like they want to reach out and teach, it'd make it easier for them, but if they're motived enough they'll be able to do it even if the school isn't somewhat set up for them to do so.
Old 2007-11-27, 22:21   Link #18
Ziv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaya View Post
State?
Public/private?
Boarding?
Religious affiliation?

It was a private, was not boarding, and was part of a baptist church. There really wasn't any mixing between older and younger students. Each grade level pretty much kept to itself and had classrooms in different areas of the school. The most notable thing was that they had candy sales fundraisers where the grand prize was a new car/truck.
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote