AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-01-03, 11:50   Link #381
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Random Sawashiro Miyuki thought I had a little while ago.
She started out her career doing this , it's funny how she's now more known for voicing boys are badass ladies.

Makes me wonder if 10 years from now we'll go "remember back when Ogura Yui voiced loli imoutos"
Old 2013-01-03, 12:00   Link #382
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Kinda like how people barely remember Sugita's roles in Chobits and X TV.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-03, 12:01   Link #383
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Maybe. Ogura's career is still young and those are the types of roles she's mainly known for at the moment. I kinda had a similar thought about Yuki Kaji not too long ago.
Old 2013-01-04, 22:22   Link #384
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Questions regarding the choice of seiyuus:

Who choose the seiyuu for a particular anime character to dub in Japan?
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 04:42   Link #385
Kirayuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Questions regarding the choice of seiyuus:

Who choose the seiyuu for a particular anime character to dub in Japan?
AFAIK, either they go through audition or get chosen by the Sound Director of the anime project (sometimes a combination of both).
Kirayuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 16:12   Link #386
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

I was wondering who was responsible on casting the actors for anime roles myself...

I actually found an English magazine that focused on Voice actors and read some interviews with Tanera Yuki(I think that's her name) and Daisuke Ono. Interesting stuff...though it was all mostly to promote singles/albums.

Japan luv their voice actors....
GDiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 16:51   Link #387
NoemiChan
Banned

Following my question, does anyone notice that the characters seiyuu's are playing have similarities. eg Tomoya of Clannad and the oniichan of Oreimo.

Is this because of the seiyuus?
Old 2013-01-06, 16:52   Link #388
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

I doubt that. Maybe the seiyuu in question might relate to something in the character.....

I mean, what if you get cast as a psycho or if you get cast as a three year old?
Old 2013-01-06, 17:01   Link #389
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
I doubt that. Maybe the seiyuu in question might relate to something in the character.....
Come to think of it.... it true as well why so???? Is it intentional? Same as those Rei Kugimiya 's tsundere characters
Old 2013-01-06, 17:29   Link #390
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Following my question, does anyone notice that the characters seiyuu's are playing have similarities. eg Tomoya of Clannad and the oniichan of Oreimo.

Is this because of the seiyuus?
It's called typecasting. It happens a lot to some seiyuu. It's a pretty natural phenomenon.
Old 2013-01-06, 17:46   Link #391
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Type casting is not that unusual.

What is fun is if someone becomes famous and typecast into something they were not originally typecast as.
Old 2013-01-06, 17:52   Link #392
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Quote:
Come to think of it.... it true as well why so???? Is it intentional? Same as those Rei Kugimiya 's tsundere characters
Maybe she's a tsundere in real life?

There's a lot of male seiyuus who are older than I thought they were. Mazakuru(?) Morita(Ichigo's VA) and Junichi Sawabe are 40...and both Ono and Namikawa aren't too far behind...

I know someone posted the ages of the female actresses not too long ago, but how many are over forty and still working? I know Hayashibara(?) has the Evangelion stuff still going and once in awhile I hear Kikuoe Inoue in something.
Old 2013-01-06, 18:29   Link #393
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mura View Post
Thar surprised me as well, I felt Sawashiro should've ranked higher. Well other than that I had no issues with the rankings.
Meh. The way I see it, those rankings have no credibility. The only seiyuu that have a chance to make it are the dudes who voice bishies and the chicks who voice waifus. And obviously once you get past a certain age (or at least look past a certain age) you're basically ineligible as well. They're just a popularity poll for rabid fujoshi/otaku and not the best indicator of actual ability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirayuki View Post
AFAIK, either they go through audition or get chosen by the Sound Director of the anime project (sometimes a combination of both).
I've seen interviews with Directors/Script Writers/Character Designers explaining their reasons for choosing certain seiyuu to voice this and that character, so it's not just Sound Directors. It makes a lot more sense for it to be the people responsible for bringing the characters to life, not the guys who happen to take care of the general sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
I know someone posted the ages of the female actresses not too long ago, but how many are over forty and still working? I know Hayashibara(?) has the Evangelion stuff still going and once in awhile I hear Kikuoe Inoue in something.
Lots of them are still working (someone needs to voice the MILFs and old ladies, after all!), they just don't get nearly as much exposure and as many roles because they're no longer as marketable once they get past a certain age (especially if they get married). And obviously there's a lot more demand for younger sounding voices since anime casts are mostly comprised of teenagers.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 18:34   Link #394
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious108 View Post

I've seen interviews with Directors/Script Writers/Character Designers explaining their reasons for choosing certain seiyuu to voice this and that character, so it's not just Sound Directors. It makes a lot more sense for it to be the people responsible for bringing the characters to life, not the guys who happen to take care of the general sound.
Hmmm.... does popularity of a seiyuu also a qualification?
Old 2013-01-06, 19:03   Link #395
Vicious108

Quote:
Hmmm.... does popularity of a seiyuu also a qualification?
Well yeah, I haven't read anyone state they chose a certain seiyuu because of their popularity, but I'm sure it is a factor to some extent. Trendy idol seiyuu like Kana Hanazawa are sure to bring their loyal fanbase along with them just by being in a series, so why not cast them and automatically increase the audiences? Same reason Hollywood directors like having the likes of Will Smith or Brad Pitt in their movies - they put more butts in seats.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 19:12   Link #396
NoemiChan
Banned

Well, thanks to everyone!
Old 2013-01-06, 19:19   Link #397
Kirayuki

Quote:
While this is true, not every show do this and note that are being special cases reserved for some important characters not for every one that appear on a certain show. This is the part where audition or Sound Director takes over the job for selecting the actors for mob characters or the unimportant ones (assuming that character doesn't have actor appointed for that role yet).

As of why Sound Director for this, people who work on this position usually are somebody who have connection with Seiyuu Agencies.
Kirayuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-07, 08:57   Link #398
sa547
*Author

http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-e...3848.html#more

KOICHI -- YOU LUCKY BASTARD CONGRATULATIONS!
Old 2013-01-07, 21:31   Link #399
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Quote:

Lots of them are still working (someone needs to voice the MILFs and old ladies, after all!), they just don't get nearly as much exposure and as many roles because they're no longer as marketable once they get past a certain age (especially if they get married). And obviously there's a lot more demand for younger sounding voices since anime casts are mostly comprised of teenagers.
Well, I guess I was thinking if there's some kind of stereotype once you reach a certain age...like how there's supposedly no roles for women after 40 in Hollywood.

I guess it also depends on who's hot right now: Kana Hanazawa seems to be popping up in a lot of series, along with Mor from Magi's VA(forgot her name)...
Old 2013-01-07, 21:50   Link #400
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Rei Tanaka made a fine looking "Christmas Cake" and I hope she will become a MILF in the near future.

(I await the return of Suigintou to the screen. Such an awesome evil voice).