AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-03-15, 20:20   Link #1
Espeon225

4 kids - we need to stop them!

Imo, I think that al kahn has gone way to far with this editing stuff for one piece, and like other otaku, I'm willing to do stuff to stop him. i found a great website on this topic, which you can find by clicking www.saveonepiece.com . I think that anybody who has seen the fansub, or has seen it in japanese realizes that the original One piece is ALOT better than the 4kids dub. If anybody here agrees, I think that we should all sign the petition on this site. Further information can be found at www.saveonepiece.com . Does anyone else agree?
Old 2006-03-15, 20:23   Link #2
neodrag38
DEATH TO 4Kids

Well, you aren't only one who thinks so, that's for sure. I think I alreadly posted more than enough in the past why I find Al Kahn and 4kids to be complete douche bags.

EDIT: Also, someone already posted that link before and the site doesn't have a petition up. Just simply has down the horrible changes that were made to the show and suggestions in terms of what you should do which pretty much boils down to not supporting the 4kids version in anyway whatsoever and writing a letter that most likely will not do much.
Old 2006-03-15, 20:28   Link #3
Espeon225

Well, I just joined 5 minutes ago ><. but that site now DOES have a petition. There are currently 194 signatures.
Old 2006-03-15, 20:46   Link #4
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

We've tried...We've failed...
Old 2006-03-15, 21:35   Link #5
neodrag38
DEATH TO 4Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeon225
Well, I just joined 5 minutes ago ><. but that site now DOES have a petition. There are currently 194 signatures.
Oh yeah, it does. Though I now remember I already signed the petition a while ago.
Old 2006-03-16, 00:46   Link #6
Chuixupu
Shikachu

I hate to be cynical, but I don't think we can stop 4kids. I think we can spread the word of unedited One Piece and how much better it is, though. It would be great if we could get some anime magazines to do a spotlight on the dubbed v. original anime. THAT would get attention.
Old 2006-03-16, 02:31   Link #7
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

http://animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=8562

We don't need to. 4kids is digging itself an early grave.

Those Pokemon greens has to run out some day...

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Old 2006-03-16, 03:34   Link #8
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maceart
http://animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=8562

We don't need to. 4kids is digging itself an early grave.

Those Pokemon greens has to run out some day...
Their profits were down 60% for the year and 90% in the fourth quarter? If a slow roll out of yugiou gx merchandise was to blame for the lower numbers, shouldn't the fourth quarter have been stronger? Also, if ratings were up 16%, how is it that ad revenue was down? Did they lose a significant chunk of air time? If I had stock in the company, I'd be telling my broker to dump it about now.

Maybe OP fans should start to wonder who, if anybody, is going to take over the license when 4kids goes under.
Old 2006-03-16, 04:30   Link #9
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Honestly I don't care anymore. The damage is already done they have aired dozens of episodes already and established OP with a shitty reputation. Not to mention that even if another company picked it up and aired it uncensored I still wouldn't watch it just cause I've grown so attached to the Japanese VAs.

When it comes down to it all the fans want is for people to enjoy the same OP that they have and honestly I used to think like that too for a bit. But then I realized something WHO CARES! you get to enjoy watching the original OP and you will continue to do so most likely. It's almost annoying to me now how some otakus and fans act like missionaries trying to convert everyone. As long as you enjoy it isn't that enough?

Sure I hate the english OP with passion just like everyone else but it's not like any of us are being forced to watch it. All you can do is hope for uncut dvds someday and recommend the original to people who are interested.
Old 2006-03-16, 04:36   Link #10
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

The solution is simple... don't watch 4kids One Piece...
Old 2006-03-16, 04:58   Link #11
SoulSeth
海賊王

I have already signed this petition.

I don't really care what version people watch, well I do, but thats because I hate 4KIDS....

Anyway, my greatest fear of letting 4KIDS air OP, is that the 4KIDS version might become the only one available..
Old 2006-03-16, 05:40   Link #12
MihawkXGP
Master of The Sword

Quote:
Most of the shortfall was blamed on decreased revenue from Yu-Gi-Oh! and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Pokemon, and was offset by increased revenue from Winx Club, One Piece
4kids have done the damage. OP is the worst dubbed show ever made.
May they all burn in hell for what they did. I hope to God 4kids go bankrupt, i really do.

I'll just stick to the orignal OP- its far superior and the voices couldn't be better.

I'll gladly sign a petition evne though it'll do nothing.
Old 2006-03-16, 08:27   Link #13
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
I don't watch One Piece, but I do agree with you that these terrible anime versions they release for US airing have to change. I've seen "Tokyo Mew Mew" get completely raped and having hippos walk over it by them, and that really drove me mad. Also I don't think it's only a problem with 4kids, but almost all companies that are responsible for US-versions of anime series.

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Old 2006-03-16, 08:57   Link #14
MihawkXGP
Master of The Sword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Shinohara
I don't watch One Piece, but I do agree with you that these terrible anime versions they release for US airing have to change. I've seen "Tokyo Mew Mew" get completely raped and having hippos walk over it by them, and that really drove me mad. Also I don't think it's only a problem with 4kids, but almost all companies that are responsible for US-versions of anime series.
Not really, many of the other companies that dub anime tend to be quiet decent or very good to say the least. Although i don't have much to base that on as i haven't really seen many dubbed series other then what 4kids have done.
4kids should be banned from ever aquiring any Anime ever again. its a shame, because i've seen Sky Piea and it seems the Fights will just get butchered like hell. No blood , No Enel with a spear in his head etc..
Old 2006-03-16, 11:20   Link #15
neodrag38
DEATH TO 4Kids

What MihawkXGP said. Also, other companies at least don't do a horribly half ass job of actually making edits. 4kids doesn't only muck up the storyline but do so in a way that it seems they decided tp put on air after a first cut.
From http://yugioh.dbzoa.net/alantse2.html
Quote:
But that's not all that they did. The One Piece dub is also full of awkward looking edits and some scenes that make little sense in light of new edits. Think of Luffy's flashback scene in episode 4, where Shanks gives Luffy some juice, then says something like, "Only a kid would drink juice!" and has a good laugh at that. That line made sense in the original (where all the adults in the tavern were drinking beer), but doesn't everyone drink juice in the dub? "Zolo," Sanji, the guests at Baratie, and Buggy were ALL shown drinking juice at some point in the dub. And, to make sure that there isn't any doubt, they have to mention that they are drinking juice every single time. Now think about Gold Roger. He's supposed such a tough, fearless, and badass pirate who even smiled as he was executed. This is the image of Gold
Roger that the show conveys to us. So doesn't 4Kids taint that image of Gold Roger when they show him drinking juice? You know, the stuff that only a kid would drink? 4Kids just makes these changes without thinking of the consequences and any harm they could make. Also think of that "juice parlor"
owner that Luffy talks to in "Roguetown." He was obviously upset with"Chaser" for jailing all the pirates because they happened to be the customers for the parlor. Now why would a juice parlor get mostly pirates as customers? Shouldn't its main customers be children? It's should be obvious to anyone that this "juice parlor" is really a tavern that sells alcohol, not juice and milk. Do 4Kids actually think about these things when they make changes? Do they stop to see if what is left over still makes sense after their changes? Is what's left over consistent with the edits in place? Or does 4Kdis assume that their audience won't wonder, or ask questions? And really, pirates drinking juice? Pirates and "Navy" men sticking people up with water and cork guns? (I don't know what's worse, this or the Yu-Gi-Oh! dub where guards stick people up with their index fingers) It seems like everyone in One Piece is a sissy. At least, that's the image of One Piece that you get by watching the dub.

Furthermore, in a recent episode, when the Going Merry Go was sailing down Reverse Mountain, "Zolo" hears the cry of a whale. Then, when they get to the bottom, they find out that it came from a giant. iceberg??? Icebergs don't make whale cries!!! You see, that "iceberg" was originally a giant whale, and because of this edit, 4Kids has skipped the whole getting-swallowed-by-the-whale ordeal that crew goes through next. That's right, you read that correctly. If you didn't know that, then this must sound very surprising to you, as this is the most significant scene change yet in the dub. The scene with "Zolo" hearing the whale is a case where 4Kids absent-mindedly makes one change, but then keeps something else that should also be changed exactly the same, and this creates an illogical scene.
Old 2006-03-16, 14:45   Link #16
Spectral

I can't complain much I know the edits they made to One Piece on 4kids and since I can't really watch the fansub cause my comp runs like a legless old lady.....no offense to legless old ladies who are apart of animesuki lol, but I stick with it, it's one of those animes that leads up to better stuff like good tv......and then Bobobo lol. Good thing I can read the manga.
Old 2006-03-16, 15:17   Link #17
neodrag38
DEATH TO 4Kids

Well, as long as ou don't have a peoplemeter it doesn't matter if you watch the Crap Piece.
Old 2006-03-16, 15:51   Link #18
MihawkXGP
Master of The Sword

The ruined the character of Pirate King Roger and Smoker. Both badass guys like them- drinking Power-juice?
I think people could go on for days at how Bad 4kids is. They just aren't worth it.
Just pray they get ruined-they deserve it.
Btw- anyone that has seen dub Crocodile- does he still have his Cigars or did he get the Smoker treatment?
Old 2006-03-16, 15:58   Link #19
Chuixupu
Shikachu

I think that's kind of lame that you think the characters were ruined by removing cigars and alchohol. I WISH that was all that was changed about the characters, they are more ruined by bad acting and bad dialogue. And in some cases, cut scenes and even story arcs.
Old 2006-03-16, 18:46   Link #20
Evanescent Dreamer
Different and proud of it

yah, the english version cut out 30%!!!!! of the WHOLE SERIES!!!!!! Most the episodes cut were crucial to the development of the series. I agree. THEY MUST BE STOPPED! AND IM GONNA FIND OUT HOW!(........and more than likely be doing this all alone but hey....i dont mind......)
Closed Thread