AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-23, 19:33   Link #341
calubin_175

The Yamato's length in 2199 has been revised to be approximately 330m. A 1/1000 model kit is coming out to be 33cm long.

I forgot the source of the 2199 ship lengths, it shows that the Yamato is longer than all the Gamilus ships, including their dreadnought class.
calubin_175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 20:02   Link #342
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Great Mechanics DX #20 has a chart redone on StarBlazers.com that shows this:

These ships are bigger than they use to be for the most part. Or at least it seems that way. The three similar Gamilus ships were all about the same size before.

I saw a short clip on YouTube that used 1974 sounds put over 2012 images. One included a small scene from Episode 2. Does Yamato take out the Gamilus Carrier using 18 inch shells from the old guns, or what are made to look like the old guns (as oppose to the shock cannons with energy beams used later on against the Giant Missile)? Also it looks like the Carrier has a bottom facing weapon...some kind of energy beam I guess. I didn't see it fire, only that it looked like it was charging when it was hit by Yamato's shells. The fighters still appear to come out sideways from their hangers. But the fighters look more impressive than their 1974 counterparts.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-04-23 at 20:16.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 22:09   Link #343
YF19EX

Spoiler for Yamato 2nd ep:

Spoiler for Gamilon Language:
YF19EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 16:00   Link #344
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Interesting. Though it will be at least a month before I will see it, it does give me ideas.
Old 2012-04-24, 19:39   Link #345
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by YF19EX View Post
Spoiler for Yamato 2nd ep:

Spoiler for Gamilon Language:
SPOILER 1: The beam weapon did not hit the ship — the section leaders were off ship in a bomb shelter (didn't work, did it?).

SPOILER 2: I posted a fame shot of this a couple of pages back.
Old 2012-04-24, 20:11   Link #346
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

You can almost sense that some political action group or politicians would point to this ship's causualty records and try to brand her as either unlucky, dangerous, or some other problem to try to get it dismantled.

SENATOR: "This ship has lost several hundreds to over a thousand crew in her service time. Much more that any other ship. She's deathtrap and unlucky for anyone who boards her."

EDF LT. COMMANDER: "Um, Senator, she may have a 95% causualty rate...but she comes home. The rest of the fleet is never so lucky."

SENATOR: "But they lose more people on Yamato than any other ship"

EDF LT. COMMANDER: "Because we can actually put more people on Yamato. Every other ship has 100% causualties and never returns to Earth."

SENATOR: "It is a death trap"

EDF LT. COMMANDER: "Well, Senator. You can go aboard any other ship during a crisis and be sure never to return home, or go onboard Yamato and at least have a chance at being alive at the end of it."

SENATOR: "Ummm..."

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-04-24 at 20:36.
Old 2012-04-24, 21:38   Link #347
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Well even IF Yamato was a death trap...there is the fact that by itself, it's probably caused about as much damage to the Gamilons as the entirety of the regular earth fleet has.

The Yamato is a murder machine.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 14:42   Link #348
macdawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
More ship patch avatars.
(original patches redesigned by みどり on Pixiv)

Flagship Battleship Kirishima:

And other ships in the Fleet at Pluto:...................Also some alternative patches for Yukikaze and Kirishima

And a blank one: An example made using the blank: UNCF Enterprise:

It appears the font is Helvetica Bold.

This is the larger version that might take the letters better.

Great job there. Just one correction, the Kirishima badges read Kirisima.
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 14:50   Link #349
August138

Quote:
Great Mechanics DX #20 has a chart redone on StarBlazers.com that shows this:

These ships are bigger than they use to be for the most part. Or at least it seems that way. The three similar Gamilus ships were all about the same size before.
Unfortunately, back when they produced YAMATO in 1974, they didn't declare the exact measurements for the ships, so it was probably all relative: Battleships, Cruisers, Destroyers, and so on. Originally, the Yamato was proposed to be 333 meters long (the size of Tokyo Tower), but afterwards, during the release of the 1977 film, they rescaled it to 263 meters to match the size of the IJN Yamato.

Quote:
Does Yamato take out the Gamilus Carrier using 18 inch shells from the old guns, or what are made to look like the old guns (as oppose to the shock cannons with energy beams used later on against the Giant Missile)?
This seems to be the case.

Quote:
Also it looks like the Carrier has a bottom facing weapon... some kind of energy beam I guess. I didn't see it fire, only that it looked like it was charging when it was hit by Yamato's shells.
Correct. It's a powerful weapon. Looks great in execution, too.

Quote:
The fighters still appear to come out sideways from their hangers. But the fighters look more impressive than their 1974 counterparts.
I agree. I love the makeovers on some of the Gamilas mecha — you should see the redesign on the interiors of their ships... At least they look awesome in the production design sheets.
Old 2012-04-25, 14:54   Link #350
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I know. The patches on the ship's crew were all spelled 'KIRI SIMA".
I also know the ship's name in English is Kirishima, just like the Battlecruiser built during World War One. The only thing I can think of is that it balances better with even numbers of letters than odd number of letters, as I discovered doing the Andromeda patch I'm using for an avatar now.

I was going to make some for the cap patches on a dark blue field as oppose to the grey I'm using, but they just don't look as good as an avatar that way...or I'm using the wrong blue. Or maybe it is just this one, as I had to enlarge it to get the letters on. As it do so wihtout enlarging required using a smaller font than the program can handle in that style.

When 2201 comes around, I image they will redesign the unit patches again. And make a special one for Flagship Andromeda.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-04-25 at 15:14.
Old 2012-04-26, 01:17   Link #351
GundamFan0083

This is the scene I anxious to see in the new series:

I wonder if they'll skip the "floating continent" and replace it with something else?
Maybe a gamilon spacestation?
Old 2012-04-26, 05:31   Link #352
August138

It's still the Floating Continent. But, they've entirely redesigned the flora. This time, they will arrive at Jupiter in the second-half of Episode 3 — in the first half, they make their first Warp from Mars to Jupiter, thus condensing the situations of the original Episodes 4 & 5. In the new Episode 4, they'll visit Saturn and find the remains of the Yukikaze, and Episodes 5 & 6 will be the Reflex Gun on Pluto. Here's what I posted on my blog, detailing Episodes 3-6:

03. ESCAPE FROM JUPITER (木星圏脱出): After completing the Warp Test from Mars to Jupiter, the Yamato suffers an engine malfunction and is forced to make an emergency landing on a continent floating in the atmosphere of the giant planet. While repairs are being made, the Gamilas attack the crippled ship, and Captain Okita decides to use their new weapon, the Wave Motion Gun!

04. THE TOMB OF ICE (氷原の墓標): The United Nations Cosmo Force picks up a distress signal and orders the Yamato to conduct a search and rescue mission to Enceladus, one of Saturn's moons. But, the Gamilas are laying in wait. During the battle on the surface of Enceladus, Kodai discovers a shipwreck frozen in the ice — and is shocked to discover the truth of its origin.

05. THE INESCAPABLE TRAP (死角なき罠): Okita is determined to destroy Gamilas' outpost on Pluto, the launching point of the Planet Bombs dropped on Earth. The Yamato plans a strategic airstrike, but they are countered by Gamilas' long-range Reflection Satellite Gun. Losing control, the Yamato plunges into the frozen sea on Pluto...

06. HADES' TWILIGHT (冥王の落日): While the Yamato sinks to the bottom of Pluto's sea, the Air Wing begins a search and destroy mission for the Gamilas outpost. Then, Kodai spots Gamilas planes emerging from a Plutonian Aurora. Now, able to bypass the attack of the Reflection Satellite, the Yamato launches her counterstrike.
Old 2012-04-26, 09:00   Link #353
LKK

@ August138: Those kind of upcoming episode details should be in a spoiler box with a label to indicate what they're upcoming episode summaries.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 14:07   Link #354
August138

LLK, they're only spoilers if you've never seen the 1974 series, as this is a faithful remake, storywise. It's like putting a spoiler warning on episode synopses for STAR TREK: TOS. Or STAR WARS.

Here's some of the corresponding synopses from the original series:

4. Test Warp To Mars
The Star Force tests out the Wave Motion Engine's warp capabilities.

5. Jupiter's Floating Continent
The Argo is trapped by Jupiter's gravity as a Gamilon Battle Force descends upon them.

6. Paladin
The Argo searches Saturn's moon, Titan, for a rare mineral.

7. The Reflex Gun (Part 1)
Lured into a Gamilon trap, the Argo faces disaster on the planet Pluto.

8. The Reflex Gun (Part 2)
The Star Force sets out to locate and destroy the Reflex Gun.
Old 2012-04-26, 14:15   Link #355
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I wonder how many reading this have never seen the original series (of Yamato that is. No telling on the numbers that might not have seen the original of Star Trek given the international nature of this forum.)

However, given the amount of episode compression, eventually this series producers are going to make new episodes or expand other episodes to fill the gaps they are making by putting two into one episode. Just by Episode 6 they've effectively allowed for two whole new episode to be created. Eventually.
Old 2012-04-26, 14:20   Link #356
August138

Certainly, and we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. As for what I posted, above, there are no more spoilers than a typical TV Guide program description. "This week on YAMATO: 2199..." It doesn't tell you that XXXX gets killed early on... j/k.

But, seriously, the original 10 episodes it took the Yamato to leave the Solar System was because they thought that they had 39 episodes to work with — before the network axe came down and cut 13 episodes from their run — so, it makes sense to get them out of the Milky Way as soon as possible, since they are only working with 26 episodes for this remake. This time, we're promised more Gamilas screen time — which will be great — and of course, we'll have episodes with the "new old" crew of the Yamato. I hope that they bring back some of the original 39-episode story concepts which were dropped, such as the Assassination Plot against Dessler and the female Gamilas Assassin, Iroze, who sneaks aboard the Yamato and starts murdering the crew...
Old 2012-04-26, 14:48   Link #357
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The plot, at least as we know it, should remain the same (more or less). My concern is the character interactions. Not only do we have a larger cast than before, but also a few personalities have been changed to reflect the times.

Kodai doesn't seem as hotheated as he was in 1974. And while he doesn't seem like he would be later in the series (which is logical since it was the events of this voyage that made him like that), he is still Kodai.

Shima seems a little different as well in what little I've seen. He was the responsible one (mostly) in the original to counter Kodai's hotheadness and brashness. Now he seems more mischivious. Even giving a boasting to Yuki when she asked who they were.

Yuki herself is more grounded, but that might have to do more with the perception of women in today's Japanese society rather than a woman's role in 1970's Japan. Though all I have to go on is one episode. She's wouldn't normally get to her "Kodai-kun" phase (where that might be her only fuctional line in a scene, just with different tones) until later anyway. At least this time around she's starting off as an officer first rather than being introduced as the "pretty nurse" first. But then Yuki did practically every (non-combat) job on the ship, as well as some on Earth between missions. It is probably a good thing they've broken up her roles by adding more named women to the cast.

I rewatched a little of the older seasons. In 1974, in the tenth episode you see several women on Yamato (all in yellow and black like Yuki). After that, you never see them again. In 1978, the Second Series, only Yuki is serving on Yamato, and there is no evidence of women on any other Earth warships. By 1980, the Third Series, Yamato again has a number of women in the crew. Several in Yuki's yellow and black uniform. At least one in a different style officer's version of those colors, and several nurses, including one that gets named. Of course eventually, after the mission gets dangerous (as in war zone dangerous) they are all shipped home on an Earth cruiser, save for Yuki, who has plenty of experiance, can pull rank, and pull the Captain's heart.
Old 2012-04-26, 15:23   Link #358
August138

Agree. At the core, Kodai is still Kodai — he still does some of the same reckless things, such as commandeering an aircraft to bring down the Gamilas spy plane. And barges his way into things, such as into Okita's medical examination (which reminds me of his brash behavior towards bureaucracy in YAMATO 2). As for Shima, he was originally the Yin to Kodai's Yang, and in a way, still is. This version of Kodai is a bit more introspective – although impulsive – and this Shima is more outgoing and demonstrative. They've both been given a little of each others traits from the previous incarnations, it seems, and it works. I don't think that Shima was bragging when he said to Yuki that they were war veterans — I think he was trying to defuse the situation by the act.

Last edited by August138; 2012-04-27 at 14:05.
August138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 22:07   Link #359
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I wonder if the current generation will consider Yamato a character of its own?

The original show personified Yamato over time. It almost had its own personality via the characters. Sort of like the original Enterprise from Star Trek was personified in the series and movies (well up the end end of Star Trek IV at least, after that the personification seems to be less in all later productions. Even the Next Generation didn't seem to personify the Enterprise-D to the extend of Mr. Scott and Captain Kirk did to their ship). The Star Blazers dub changed it slightly with the term "Star Force" replacing the word "Yamato" in most cases, making the crew the star, where Yamato seems more the star in Japanese. "Argo" being used was fine, but one would notice that most of the time the enemy used there name as a swear, it was "Star Force" rather than "Argo". In the Japanese the enemy would always curse Yamato's name when defeated...or sometimes when it arrived but before they started shouting orders to destroy it. But also both "Star Force" was used as the words of hope by those waiting for its arrival, or when it saved the day...just as "Yamato" is used in those same scenes. "Argo" seems like it was rarely used in that fashion.

There has always been a sort of Soul of Yamato. I wonder if that will play any part in the new show.

That and I really hope they do Dessler well. He was always such an interesting person, with either the Japanese or English voice. Now that they have his potental future to work with...and wonder what they will do with it?
Old 2012-04-29, 15:58   Link #360
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Someone in Japan has been fairly clever and done a version of the new episodes using the audio from the original series. There are no subtitles that I am aware since the audio and visual are not actually the same scene each time, but closest match in many cases.

2012 version using the audio from the 1974 Episode 1.
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Of course this means that only scenes that match the video are used and only scenes there is audio for are used. Thus some parts of the episode (in both directions) is absent. But it is a fair effort.

Plus he's done it wiith Episode 2 as well.

Spoiler for Episode 2 spoilers:

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-04-29 at 17:49.

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato