AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-04-24, 09:57   Link #21
Dragonkid11
A random-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Why does it feel so Warhammer 40K?
Now people would want a mod where you play as a Space Marine in The Evil Within,instant action horror mod!!!
Dragonkid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-27, 20:07   Link #22
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Psycho Break/Evil Within

Biohazard/Resident Evil

Why Psycho Within, because it's easier to pronounce by the Japanese.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-04-27, 20:44   Link #23
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Saikou-Bureiku

"Super Break"
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 02:27   Link #24
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Day one purchase and preorder.

And yes, I still think that the perfect Survival Horror game merges the incredibly terrifying atmosphere of Silent Hill and the "run for your fucking lives" setting of Resident Evil.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 18:15   Link #25
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

This should be renamed in the U.S. release as "Silent Evil"

If there is an infinite ammo unlock at the end then it will lose the survival horror theme like RE4 has infinite ammo on 2 certain weapons.
Old 2013-04-28, 18:36   Link #26
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Doesn't the older Resident Evils also have infinite ammo?

Silent Hill even had the magical powa beamu...
Old 2013-04-28, 18:43   Link #27
Xagzan

I'm excited. Been a while since I played a proper RE game, and this looks to have the feel of a real survival horror title.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 18:59   Link #28
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Well RE4 looks more like a shooter in terms with the over the shoulder view. While alien space gun in Silent Hill 1 is over powered even for demons. Aliens > Demons
Old 2013-05-07, 06:29   Link #29
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I should thank you kenjiharima for introducing me to this guy.

So we have a couple of possible names for characters/monsters.

And let me just say upfront that the Silent Hill vibes are going off the charts If they weren't already.

Head Nurse Tatiana

MArta Diez

Re-Bone Laura

Boxman

Immediately I could draw connections to certain Silent Hill characters.
Old 2013-05-07, 11:05   Link #30
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Really great video. No matter what news or videos I see about this game I still remain vastly impressed. I would like to say day one pre-order, but for now I'm approaching this series with cautious optimism. I have faith that Mikami-sensei will make this game into a masterpiece.

Quote:
And let me just say upfront that the Silent Hill vibes are going off the charts If they weren't already.
I don't mind that at all since there's a chance that psychological elements could be mixed in with the horror aspect. Something that Resident Evil lacked. Psychological and horror can go well in hand if done correctly. I hope both gets mixed in rather than focus on one thing. It's not for everyone, but it's just me!
Old 2013-05-07, 18:44   Link #31
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

No problem Chaos2Frozen.

He's been out there for a while and he does awesome analysis on upcoming games and movies.
Old 2013-05-07, 19:35   Link #32
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

He also did an earlier video about the protagonists.

And I agree with Shinji Mikami-san; hate weak protagonists in horror stories.

I guess thats why RE's heroes were more likeable to me... I never quite support SH heroes...
Old 2013-05-07, 22:02   Link #33
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

The trailer on YouTube looked really stupid. But that being said, this game might be really good. Who knows until it's released?

From the description though, I hope they get two key things right that are integral to a survival horror game that wants to be called "great".

Those two things are: Atmosphere and Pacing. The reason why Dead Space failed to be as scary as it could have been was because it lacked those two things in certain parts (the DS3 DLC was in a MUCH better direction and was actually quite scary). The two scariest times in Dead Space were the first 15 minutes of DS2 and the beginning of the Ishimura level. Also as I said, the DS3 DLC.

Atmosphere: The best horror games actually minimize the player's interaction with the monsters (I know that sounds counter-intuitive, but it's true). Monsters are scarier the LESS you see of them. Good sound design with intimidating environments can do the bulk of the work, rather than relying upon jump-scares and inundating the player with dangers. Truly scary games like Silent Hill 2, Slender: The Arrival, and Amnesia: The Dark Descent simply drip with palpable dread, and our imaginations do worse things to us than the game itself. Whereas in Dead Space, monsters are seemingly fighting for in-your-face screentime, and the player becomes inured to the horror aspect because the pacing is kept at shooter-level near constantly. Not that I dislike shooters, but the game is far from scary... it's startling at first but soon becomes predictable. It never actually reached the level of being keep-me-up-at-night scary, which is my first gut-level evaluation of any self-proclaimed "horror game".

Pacing: Some horror games can be too intense (or the opposite). There always reaches a point where you need times of peace in order to let the player physically recover from the stress so they can be scared again. Mixing calm moments before the really tense ones are a great way of improving atmosphere, as well, and horror games need this perhaps more than any other game genre. At the same time, you don't want too many calm moments or the player will feel too safe and become bored. The balance is naturally the tricky part. Whether or not this game will achieve that is something we won't know until we play it.

Spoiler for Rant about the teaser trailer...:

All my petty complaints about the trailer aside, I like the fact that another independent company is stepping up to the plate to take a swing. I'm so sick and tired of EA and their abhorrent business practices that I'm about ready to scream.

So we'll see. I'm willing to give this game a chance. It'll depend on the price, however, since I know Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is coming out soon, and I know that I'm going to get that game. The chance of Amnesia 2 costing more than $20 is pretty low, so if Psychobreak can compete price-wise, I might be sold on it.
Old 2013-05-07, 22:17   Link #34
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I think my catch phrase for this game while playing it would be - "What the fuck is that ?!?"
I pray to God that this game actually does make me say that. I'm just tired of shooter games that keep trying to convince us they're horror games.... when they're clearly not.

I'm looking at YOU, Resident Evil.

Personally, I don't even consider anything after RE3 to be even remotely survival horror. RE4 and onward were shooters, only with zombies instead of [insert generic hostile country's soldiers here]. And yes, I think this is a fair comparison considering that zombies in RE6 had guns. GUNS? Seriously?!

I can forgive any shooter elements as long as I am actually scared.
*cough* And as long as I don't have to wrestle with clunky AI. *cough*
Old 2013-05-07, 22:57   Link #35
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

RE characters are awesome and very memorable and relatable. Silent Hill characters are disturbed and having issues. I'd rather go with the strong willed cop than a girl or a guy having family problems.
Old 2013-05-07, 23:58   Link #36
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
RE characters are awesome and very memorable and relatable. Silent Hill characters are disturbed and having issues. I'd rather go with the strong willed cop than a girl or a guy having family problems.
I agreed; that's not to say I don't think those broken characters work for Silent Hill's setting, but I personally would like my protagonists to be trustworthy.... psychologically at least.

I mean, you're as weak as you can be already in these games- don't need your guy or girl to be even weaker.

Also the reason I think RE characters are more likeable is because we see more of them we see Leon grow from rookie cop to badass lady killer

So please, don't kill off these guys just yet kay ?
Old 2013-05-08, 00:37   Link #37
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I agreed; that's not to say I don't think those broken characters work for Silent Hill's setting, but I personally would like my protagonists to be trustworthy.... psychologically at least.

I mean, you're as weak as you can be already in these games- don't need your guy or girl to be even weaker.

Also the reason I think RE characters are more likeable is because we see more of them we see Leon grow from rookie cop to badass lady killer

So please, don't kill off these guys just yet kay ?
Bolded part is true and I definitely agree on.

Also in RE only female survives with Chris, Barry was an exception because they needed a Jill Sandwitch. LOL Man that doesn't get old.
Old 2013-05-08, 04:12   Link #38
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
I pray to God that this game actually does make me say that. I'm just tired of shooter games that keep trying to convince us they're horror games.... when they're clearly not.
Need more Fatal Frame lol
Old 2013-05-08, 04:18   Link #39
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Need more Fatal Frame lol
They run too slow...
Old 2013-05-08, 13:06   Link #40
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
It still amazes me how a civilian like Claire (during RE2) can just pick up a gun, survive multiple hazards and deathly creatures, and make William her bitch during the events of the game like it was nothing.

Mikami-sensei sure knows how to make awesome RE heroines with Ashley being the only exception "shudders in disgust".

Silent Hill heroines I find were just too bitchy, moody, and whiny to be taken seriously.

Tags
bethesda softworks, evil that resides within, shinji mikami, survival horror, tango gameworks