AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2008-12-26, 07:59   Link #781
DjJuvan

Editing Chapters in Matroska

Well... i checked most of the forum and i didnt find anything useful for my problem.

I have to make a 14. ep long series without op/ed sequences, but i dont want to re-encode some already-made-fansubs, because I'll destroy their quality... that's why I got myself some .mkv edition of this series and an idea making my own chapters where I could skip the not-needed OP/ED sequences.....

BUT! When I put in the chapters with a help of mkvmerge GUI, the chapters work.... but they dont skip the chapters that I didnt put the "enable" mark. It plays the whole episode without any changes...

I'm using CCCP+MPC for playing episodes.

What am i doing wrong?
DjJuvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-26, 08:23   Link #782
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjJuvan View Post
BUT! When I put in the chapters with a help of mkvmerge GUI, the chapters work.... but they dont skip the chapters that I didnt put the "enable" mark. It plays the whole episode without any changes...

What am i doing wrong?
Enabling/disabling chapters does not modify the virtual timeline. You have to flag the edition as ordered and then just remove the OP/ED chapters.

I assume you've read this?
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-26, 09:24   Link #783
Daiz
Pioneer in Fansub 2.0

You could also split the files according to their chapter points and then just merge the episodes back together without the OP and ED if you just want to get rid of the OP/ED.

Or if they already have chapters (which I assume they do), just press Page Down to skip the OP/ED
Daiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-26, 10:42   Link #784
DjJuvan

Tnx TheFluff for that link, I have read it and solved the problem. I just had to enter another code and delete the not-needed OP/ED sequences from the chapter code. Now it works great \o/
DjJuvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-02, 13:39   Link #785
Littm
ちょうど楽しみなさい
*IT Support

Question Encoding in h264 and splitting

Okay, I searched a bit threads here. No result. Well, I've got some questions, maybe, some experienced encoders can help me a bit ?

First of all, I want to encode my personal dvd in h264. Quality is a bit blurry and I want to use some filters. Problem here that I don't know anything about pro encoding. Simply, what's the best soft for encoding in h264 and how to get with the help of effects (and what effects should I use for greater results ?) something like this ("mild, but strong lines" - I don't know how really to say this) ? Some guide, maybe ?

And the next one - for example, I have two splitted files - opening and episode. I want to edit the episode and add marker or something to get opening in this episode. You know what I mean - realeses with external openings, endings and episodes. How can I edit this "markers" in mkv ?

Fixed : second one is already answered here, my bad.

Last edited by Littm; 2009-01-02 at 13:51.
Littm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-02, 20:56   Link #786
TheFluff

use avisynth for the filter stage, if you use slow filters encode the avisynth script to lossless with the codec of your choice (ffvhuff or lagarith are the most common but x264 lossless works too), then encode that to x264 with either the commandline tool directly (protip: write a .bat file) or with megui

as for what sharpening filter to use, I'd recommend you try limitedsharpenfaster() which is an avisynth script
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2009-01-03, 04:16   Link #787
Littm
ちょうど楽しみなさい
*IT Support

TheFluff, thanks.
Littm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-03, 12:17   Link #788
Jimmy C

reencoding a H264 video

I'm interested in reencoding a H264 video I have down to smaller dimensions, preferably with little to no loss in quality.
I've seen a few guides out there, but they all start with a DVD source, not another H264 video. So I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on how to proceed. The video's only 1:43 minutes long btw. I can use mkvextract to pull out the video as a *.h264 file or can I use the mkv in the encode process?
My last attempt at H264 encoding many months ago was an abysmal failure.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-03, 15:08   Link #789
jfs
Aegisub dev

Use FFMpegSource directly on the MKV in Avisynth, feed the resulting video into x264 (maybe using MeGUI as a front end) and you're done. Remember to handle timecodes unless you're 200% sure the video is CFR.

Also remember to check if the audio is small enough. Unless it needs reencoding, you can just source it directly from the original MKV when muxing the final file.

Also, not losing any quality is impossible with lossy encoding. The question always is how much you're willing to sacrifice for lower bitrate.

Aegisub developer [ Forum | Manual | Feature requests | Bug reports | IRC ]
Don't ask for: More VSFilter changes (I won't), karaoke effects, help in PM's
jfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-03, 15:10   Link #790
TheFluff

get avisynth and the ffmpegsource plugin, then use a script something like this:
Code:
ffvideosource("X:/path/to/file.mkv",timecodes="X:/path/to/timecodes.txt")
whateverResize(newwidth,newheight)
and encode with megui or whatever. a file named timecodes.txt will be created; after encoding is done you mux the newly encoded file with mkvmerge, including audio from the original file and the timecodes.txt as timecodes for the video track.

Old 2009-02-04, 05:10   Link #791
Jimmy C

Thanks for you advice. I was able to get a resized video with acceptable quality.
But now I've encountered another problem. This video, call it A is at 23.97 fps. I want to append it to another video, B, but B is 29.97 fps. A test resulted in the second part of the combined video to be unviewable. MKVmux also said the "private data" of the 2 video streams didn't match.
What can I do to change video A from 23.97 to 29.97 fps?
Old 2009-02-04, 06:06   Link #792
TheFluff

If you're appending two MKV files you don't need to change the framerate, since MKV supports variable framerate videos. What you do need to do is encode both videos with the same codec, resolution and encoder settings or the appending won't work.

Old 2009-02-04, 06:18   Link #793
Jimmy C

it wasn't just the framerate it seems. I changed it using the changeFPS and converFPS filters in avisynth and I still got the same result when I appended the files together. Is there any way I can find what I need to change? Both videos are h264 and the same resolution already.
Old 2009-02-04, 06:26   Link #794
checkers
Part 8
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to checkers
Are you re-encoding with the same settings for each encode?
checkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-04, 06:50   Link #795
Jimmy C

Only 1 of the videos is being reencoded. I was hoping to avoid having to reencode the other. If I have to, I'll have to reencode a lot of stuff. MKVmerge says "The codec's private data does not match (lengths: 37 and 170)"
When I reencoded the other video, I got the "lengths" down to 37 and 36 and the video was watchable. I'd still like to know how to eliminate that difference if possible.

Last edited by Jimmy C; 2009-02-04 at 07:02.
Old 2009-02-04, 11:21   Link #796
TheFluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
Only 1 of the videos is being reencoded. I was hoping to avoid having to reencode the other. If I have to, I'll have to reencode a lot of stuff. MKVmerge says "The codec's private data does not match (lengths: 37 and 170)"
When I reencoded the other video, I got the "lengths" down to 37 and 36 and the video was watchable. I'd still like to know how to eliminate that difference if possible.
The framerate has nothing to do with it. If it works, it's all okay. With h264 it's usually not possible to get exactly identical codecprivates. Just encode both files with identical settings (apart from bitrate) and it'll work fine.

Old 2009-02-04, 11:38   Link #797
Jimmy C

Sigh, I was hoping to avoid that. I'll have to curtail my plans then.
Thanks for all the help, I've learned a few more things about encoding thanks to this.
Old 2009-02-04, 12:59   Link #798
Dark Shikari
x264 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
The framerate has nothing to do with it. If it works, it's all okay. With h264 it's usually not possible to get exactly identical codecprivates. Just encode both files with identical settings (apart from bitrate) and it'll work fine.
But you can use multiple streams with different settings in one file as long as you use separate SPSs for each one (--sps-id) and don't modify any of the PPS settings.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-04, 14:31   Link #799
Jimmy C

But what I want is to join them together as one video stream.
Old 2009-02-04, 14:43   Link #800
TheFluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
But what I want is to join them together as one video stream.
Yeah, and to do that without the result being unplayable you need to either reencode both videos with the same settings (or rather, similar settings; if you want details on what settings can be different, ask Dark Shikari to elaborate on his previous post), or find out the settings of one of them and reencode the other with similar settings.