AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad - Extra Episode (Tomoyo Chapter) Rating
Perfect 10 161 54.03%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 83 27.85%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 27 9.06%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 4.36%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 1.68%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 1.01%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.34%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.34%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 1.34%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-07-18, 10:24   Link #61
Tensami

A truly great episode, but one problem for me is that god-awful english song. I mean the song whould be incredible if it was in japanese, but in english it just seems out of place. The lyrics doesn't make any sense at all. It ruined episode 9 and sadly it dragged down this ep from a perfect 10 to a good 9. Oh well, I'm probably the only one, but I hate english in anime. Japanese is a beautiful language so I can't understand the need for english in their songs. Anyway, way to go Keyoani! Can't wait for After Story. And please, let it be 24 eps. I can't ever get enough Clannad.
Old 2008-07-18, 10:57   Link #62
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tensami View Post
A truly great episode, but one problem for me is that god-awful english song. I mean the song whould be incredible if it was in japanese, but in english it just seems out of place. The lyrics doesn't make any sense at all. It ruined episode 9 and sadly it dragged down this ep from a perfect 10 to a good 9. Oh well, I'm probably the only one, but I hate english in anime.
Oh, we commiserate with you on that one. We even used the official lyrics as presented in the liner notes.

As for me, atrocious Engrish or no, it doesn't matter to me that much. If one has an issue with this song, they should take it up with VisualArt's/Key in general, and Hagiwara Yuu, the song's lyricist.

Quote:
Can't wait for After Story. And please, let it be 24 eps. I can't ever get enough Clannad.
Per a conversation I had with velocity7, this might give an opportunity to tell Kyou's route should KyoAni do this. Though don't be too surprised if it ends up being only twelve episodes.

--Ian.
Old 2008-07-18, 11:46   Link #63
b-joyful

i just watched it and it's awaesome!
i can't wait for the after story though!
Old 2008-07-18, 13:33   Link #64
Solafighter
Hige

Very nice episode! 10/10

But just, that i dont missunderstand something. This episode, does it caunt as the last episode of the first season? (I mean, its the last episode of the list)
Old 2008-07-18, 14:35   Link #65
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

@Kaioshin: Sorry about the i la. Seriously though, in all the years I have lurked this forum, I have never noticed the extra i between a and o in your name.

Anyway, contradictions? RL is full of them. Amazing, isn't it? And about the picture you linked: aren't we talking about this episode, not the entire series? And about the action/chaos in mecha stuff, I was just saying that there is bound to be some action, chaos and the subsequent explosive aftereffects in any series that features mechas or any other weapons of war, while in slice-of-life and comedy/drama shows not concerned with war tools and gadgets, action, chaos and the subsequent explosive aftereffects seldom come by.

Anyway, let's drop this off-topic discussion and continue with the episode comments and impressions, shall we?

----------

Pretty solid episode, if only a bit compressed. Giving it 20 more minutes would have been great IMO, though I was pleasantly surprised that their break-up joke made it live. It was also nice seeing most of the other small jokes and concepts from the game getting preserved and presented well (like Sunohara's job-hunting on winter, Tomoyo's Engrish speech, Tomoya's failed job-hunting).

The only thing that bothers me though is how abrupt the break-up seemed to happen. In this case, more time devoted to the presentation of their differing lifestyles, goals and positions while trying to maintain their relationship would have made the eventual break-up much more believable and heart-wrenching . Plus, it's a shame that out of the one million kissing scenes they had in the game, not one was shown (one scene was only remotely hinted at). Same goes for the [in]famous 64HIT combo . Man, when I saw the bear during Founder's Day, the fist thing that come to my mind was Perfect 64HIT combo incoming, but alas there was no time to fit any more less important scenes in (would have made for great cameo appearances though).

Overall, the facial expressions were really top-notch, especially in the snow scene. Though animation was not really KyoAni's best, it stays true to Clannad's art style (though this may be the most beautifully animated episode of Clannad yet). As for the end though, I would have preferred if they showed the original ending from the game instead, with Tomoyo, along with Takafumi entering in as a freshman, meeting and delivering Tomoya's bento to him at the bottom of the hill where the cherry trees stand and blossom.

So with this, I give it an 8/10, +1 for giving me the same impact the game had (which is a very good thing considering that this is just a summary), totaling to a final score of 9/10.

And to echo someone else's post a while back:
Where the fck is my Kyou Chapter, KyoAni?
Old 2008-07-18, 14:37   Link #66
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
W00t subs.

Yes Frontier has more than enough of those scenes to warrant a cross comparison, it's just that Frontier like most other Satelight works seems to prefer fluid animation over consistent character design whereas KyoAni is a stickler for having consistent character designs.
Yeah I think I can definitely agree on that. Especially the unfortunate Episode 08 of Frontier, which further proves that point. I really wish every show could have totally consistent character designs. American animation is also good in that regard just having watched the 2nd Futurama movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
@Kaioshin: Sorry about the i la. Seriously though, in all the years I have lurked this forum, I have never noticed the extra i between a and o in your name.

And to echo someone else's post a while back:
Perfectly alright. You aren't the first one and won't be the last and I was only kidding anyway.

And see, I was right, now that they've made a Tomoyo OVA, Kyoani pretty much owes Kyou fans a Kyou OVA otherwise they will be accused of favouritism (mostly by 2ch I imagine). She's also the only character they haven't devoted a significant amount of singular focus to yet. Really though it would hinge on the success of this episodes DVD whether that's even considered though.

Personally though I've never liked this whole idea that there need to be strict arcs anyway and found Clannad's looser use of rigid character arcs to my liking compared to Kanon in the end. Just something I wanted to add.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2008-07-18 at 14:49.
Old 2008-07-18, 14:41   Link #67
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support

That "Tomoya... Tomoya!" from Tomoyo when she starts crying gets me every time.

But yeah, like Tensami, I honestly can't stand that song - "Ana" isn't it? It's kind of drowned out by the awesomeness of that scene though.

Animation a little subpar in my opinion though. Sub-par for Kyoani that is, which is to say merely very good.
Old 2008-07-18, 15:02   Link #68
Littm
ちょうど楽しみなさい
*IT Support

Quote:
Well, I also want to see Kyou's and Ryou's story, but chances are somewhere near 0. There is no Kyou After... As for Tomoyo After - I hope that they will animate it after Clannad AS of Haruhi S2.
Old 2008-07-18, 15:20   Link #69
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littm View Post
Well, I also want to see Kyou's and Ryou's story, but chances are somewhere near 0.
Well, if the Tomoyo ep as well as their stated commitment to cover all the girls' routes are any indication, it could very well happen. Though granted, while it might be part of After Story, it would, by definition like Tomoyo's own story, be detached from the main storyline which involves Nagisa. All three storylines ([RK]you, Nagisa and Tomoyo) are mutually exclusive.

velocity7 said that a main reason (if not an excuse) to do 24 eps for After Story would be for [RK]you's route(s) and perhaps others' routes as well.

That said, I wouldn't entirely consider writing any such story off just yet. CLANNAD is but the first story from Key which would need "alternate universe" stories to tell the complete story. Little Busters! apparently absolutely requires "alternate universe" stories for the storyline to remotely make sense, I gather.

--Ian.
Old 2008-07-18, 15:32   Link #70
Ruhisu
Tomoyo/Kotomi/Fuko fan

10/10 for me and no discussion.
I was crying like a baby watching this episode. The most moving, the best character. This is the best episode of the all in Clannad and the music is just something wonderful. Tomoyo was my very favourite chatacter next to Kotomi but now I just love her!
Old 2008-07-18, 15:42   Link #71
muncheez<3

dis was a very good episode and i rly enjoyed it since we haven't had a new clanad ep for a while so i was pretty anxious to watch dis and i felt like they rushed da ep a bit and i wish they would have shown more to tomoya and tomoyo's relationship
Old 2008-07-18, 15:55   Link #72
octoberasian
Baka Gaijin :P
*IT Support

I have to be completely honest here when I say that this episode ended MUCH BETTER than the first season with Nagisa. Thus, it deserves a 10.

Tomoyo was my favorite character.

I can't wait for Tomoyo After.
Old 2008-07-18, 16:01   Link #73
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littm View Post
Well, I also want to see Kyou's and Ryou's story, but chances are somewhere near 0. There is no Kyou After... As for Tomoyo After - I hope that they will animate it after Clannad AS of Haruhi S2.
Well, this was sort of a makeup for the short arc from the series. This is not Tomoyo After which is something else completely. However it doesn't look like theres much of a chance to release it unless the add it to the after story DVD.

Edit: I really hope for a Tomoyo after too
Old 2008-07-18, 18:13   Link #74
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
i am a nagisa fan
and hearing that this ep was about tomoyo i was pissed off
having to wait for months for an OVA that doesnt even have my favorite character in it
there was no way that it would have been worth the wait
right ?

wrong

best clannad ep ever
hands down
i dont think i have ever been so moved by a single anime ep

kyoani has once again proved to me that they are to anime what dream theater is to music
Old 2008-07-18, 20:48   Link #75
Nanao-kun
ナナオーくん

This episode was simply amazing. The traits I had seen within Tomoyo from the first 22 episodes, that attracted me to her in the first place, were revelaed in their full glory. I was also compleely taken back from the fact that KyoAni was able to put so much emotional impact into a single episode.

I can't wait for Tomoyo After. I think I'll enjoy it more than Haruhi S2.

On another note, I enjoyed the ending to this much more than the ending with Nagisa.
Old 2008-07-18, 20:50   Link #76
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

more glasses
Old 2008-07-18, 20:51   Link #77
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
I admit up front to being a Tomoyo fanboy. I had no idea this episode was coming out, so seeing it today and then getting the immediate gratification of watching it right way sent me into squealing fits.

It was a great look at more of Tomoyo. In the main series, most all we saw of her was her serious side. She seemed stuffy and perhaps elitist. I tend to love women of strong character in my stories, but she seemed downright cold. Here we get to see her warmer, softer side, not to mention her less responsible side. Tomoyo isn't, in fact, the stereotypical overachiever character, but is much less perfect. She still has strength of character, but her idiosyncrasies and human and feminine weaknesses make her more relatable, as well as much more fun.

It was, indeed, too compressed. It really needed at minimum three episodes, perhaps four, to really cover everything, if their early relationship was included. It felt much easier and more natural, though, without Tomoyo being shoehorned into the other arc.

Tomoyo's arc just makes for a better romance, period. Despite her far-fetched backstory, Tomoyo is a more realistic character, and their relationship is believable. As much as I am a fanboy of, say, Kotomi, Tomoyo has more depth and brings out more in Tomoya. Their romantic moments are excellent, as well: Passionate, funny, and serious (and not based on supernatural drama or the fawning of girls with weak personalities).

I think Tomoyo's arc succeeds not just as an anime romance, but that it stands far above most romance stories in general. The drama is realistic, relatable, and not petty garbage. I was moved.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.

Last edited by Kyuusai; 2010-03-07 at 04:14.
Old 2008-07-18, 20:53   Link #78
Hao

I loved every second of this episode! Not just because it featured one of my favourite characters, but the drama and the way the plot flowed even though it was limited to less than half an hour!

I had played the game, and already knew what was coming, yet I still got the feelings I had while playing the game. The ending was so moving <3 Tomoyo

Thank you Kyoani for such a pleasent episode.
Old 2008-07-18, 21:05   Link #79
octoberasian
Baka Gaijin :P
*IT Support

[quote=Forbin;1738782].../quote]

Already read Tomoyo After, but regardless how it ended, the story was really well done and well told. It felt not like those stereotypical high school anime romances, and Nagisa in my opinion was more like that. Tomoyo is just different and it was very nice to see something different that was out of the norm in many harem animes.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2008-07-18 at 22:12. Reason: quoted spoiler removed
Old 2008-07-18, 21:33   Link #80
haiz123321
Obey me world!

Hmm I gave this episode a 9 for the following reasons

Pros:
-Tomoyo's route shown on anime was pretty much awesome
-It was pretty touching
-Personal: I was pretty much excited when this came out since it features one of my favourite pairings with the other being TomoyaXTwins

Cons:
-Tomoya imo, seems slightly out of character here
-Tomoyo and Tomoya almost kissed but got interupted
-Everything was pretty rushed, I think those who didn't play the game will get confused between the jumping of events.

What I've noticed:
There were some parts different from the game. The place where Tomoyo and Tomoya broke up in the game was at the school gate and not somewhere in the shopping district unless I'm mistaken. Tomoya grabbed the guy talking to him about Tomoyo and she came soon after. They were supposed to kiss during the part where they announced the student president thing. The "break up" joke was supposed to happen twice but it only happened once. Tomoyo was supposed to cry after Tomoya hugged her if i remember correctly as well.

Overall I think it was a great episode I guess I might be hoping for too much if I wanted them to make a special episode for the 5 girl's ending >_<

Long Live Lelouch! Waiting for Tales of the World:RM2 USA release
Closed Thread