Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-03-27, 04:08   Link #1041
Jof12788
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldy View Post
The witches designs, being pantless and the girls being lesbians are already fanservice..

Oh well, who am I kidding, this franchise's true market are the Fanservice people anyway...

Perhaps I'll just ditch the anime all together no matter how good the reviews are.. yet still buying some of the character figures. I love Mecha Musume..

Oh wait.. I already said that a long time ago..

I guess they'll be moving on to an eggplant or banana shaped neuroi core that would infiltrate the witches base or something?
*headbangs against the wall hard*...................
Not to be rude, but if you hate the fanservice in the anime series so much, why bother to watch it, let alone repeat what's already been said? We get it. You hate the fanservice in this series. It's understandable as to why you like the certain aspects of the show, but at the very least you know what you're getting yourself into prior to watching it. If that's not the case, then don't watch it.

I also stand for the pantlessness not counting as actually fanservice (unless noted otherwise) given what's already been said by einhorn earlier in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak86 View Post
oh, come on... it wasn't that bad.
I know. But it's just that I hate seeing the series that I've waited for so long being turned into something it shouldn't be. It'd be like turning Gurren Lagan into a purely RomCom series.

Given that I'm late for this conversation, I'd thought I'd give my own in depth thoughts on the episodes of Strike Witches 2 (Or as I like to call it "Strike Witches: The Slice of Life Version)
Spoiler for Thoughts on Episodes 1-12:
Jof12788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-27, 08:10   Link #1042
pauldy
An F-15 Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jof12788 View Post
Not to be rude, but if you hate the fanservice in the anime series so much, why bother to watch it, let alone repeat what's already been said? We get it. You hate the fanservice in this series. It's understandable as to why you like the certain aspects of the show, but at the very least you know what you're getting yourself into prior to watching it. If that's not the case, then don't watch it.
Why I watched both seasons? because I was hoping that despite the blatant bumshots and the like, the anime will deliver a satisfying story about the Neuroi War....

Yeah, I know I'm stupid, sorry...

I guess I just went way too much on ranting senselessly about this anime..

I'll just follow your tip, get myself a stfu mug and forget about this anime all together..

Perhaps wishing for a Mecha Musume anime that focuses more on the plot and other serious elements is just plain impossible..

I apologize for being an arse here...

Last edited by pauldy; 2011-03-27 at 08:43.
pauldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-27, 18:26   Link #1043
Kyuu
=^^=

What? You expected something serious out of this series? LOL
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-27, 20:10   Link #1044
Jof12788
Disabled By Request

I apologise if I'm acting a bit snobbish concerning this series.

@Kyuu: I wouldn't say I expected something serious out of this series, but expected more out of this series. I enjoy Strike Witches for it's fanservice, action, and characters. But at the same time, it shouldn't be hard to integrate a good plot into the series. Watching the original Strike Witches, it didn't really have the best plot, but it was overall decent and passable. SW2 on the other hand focused more on turning it into a semi-slice-of-life series with a last minute plot which defied any sort of logic or continuity.

Not only that, in contrast to what others may say, it even lacked in the fanservice aspects of the show. I mean, where were they going with this? Is it really that hard to outdo the original Strike Witches rather than turning it into a generic moe-blob show with occasional fanservice and action once in a while? If it's called Strike Witches 2, you'd expect it to be better than this. With the exception of Episodes 6, 7, 8, and 10 from season 2, I'd stick with the original Strike Witches.
Old 2011-04-03, 03:12   Link #1045
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I liked the show, but...

I FUCKING CALL SHENANIGANS

Eila and Sanya totally should have kissed at the end of episode 6! Fuck you and your Hide Your Lesbians bullshit!

Screw you, AIC!

sigh.
Old 2011-04-03, 05:13   Link #1046
Jof12788
Disabled By Request

Good to see that I'm not the only one who hates AIC for the atrocities they committed against Strike Witches. I should've kept my hopes moderately low had I known what anime AIC were capable of producing. (Amagami and Ore no Imouto were the only good works AIC did.) Not to mention the excess use of CGI.

BTW, did anyone else feel insulted at the ending scene with the Shinden Striker and Reppumaru lying washed ashore? A very depressing way to end the series. Yet the blu-ray version may hint at something.

Notice the shadow at the top-right hand corner
Strike Witches 2 Ending: Blu-Ray Version

Yet, despite this, the story in the movie isn't even going in that route, so that shadow figure may seem pointless.
Old 2011-04-03, 05:28   Link #1047
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
It's not so much just Strike Witches. I've been pissed for a while that animation studios seem perfectly content to blatantly throw two cute girls at each other but never actually confirm their relationships or handle them respectfully.

It's all just stupid fanservice to them and to the drooling otaku neckbeards they're fleecing, but what about the actual lesbians who watch the show? Like me!

It was even stupider to me because Sanya and Eila, there's no subtext there. They are absolutely a couple. You'd have to be blind, deaf and braindead not to see that. So why didn't they kiss at the end of episode #6?

Ugh, this makes me want to write even more. Just so I can finally get something put out there that contains actual, recognized incidental lesbian romance.

AIC, I am disappoint. You fail to provide me with squee.

I demand squee!
Old 2011-04-03, 21:05   Link #1048
Jof12788
Disabled By Request

I'd personally find it more interesting and enjoyable if Strike Witches was indeed, an actual Yuri anime. I always see Sanya/Eila and Yoshika/Lynne as couples. Though I agree that yuri content used as a fanservice element only is rage inducing after a while IMO. No offense to people who see it that way.

Speaking of which, there was a Strike Witches manga that got canceled just because of a Yuri scene?

http://strikewitches.wikia.com/wiki/...no_Otome-tachi

I'm personally thinking of writing an alternate retelling of Strike Witches 2. However, I'm not sure if that's a good idea since it wouldn't really change how AIC ruined it.
Old 2011-04-06, 13:31   Link #1049
Tk3997
Loveable Jerk

Send a message via ICQ to Tk3997 Send a message via AIM to Tk3997 Send a message via MSN to Tk3997
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldy View Post
Why I watched both seasons? because I was hoping that despite the blatant bumshots and the like, the anime will deliver a satisfying story about the Neuroi War....

Yeah, I know I'm stupid, sorry...

I guess I just went way too much on ranting senselessly about this anime..

I'll just follow your tip, get myself a stfu mug and forget about this anime all together..
Fair call, you and me can sit in a corner together brooding with our steaming mugs of STFU about how bad the amine went and liking the manga and written stuff. That said if I had a choice of what to do next I'd like to see more of the 502nd too acutally, but that could just be becasue I feel a kindship with them...

Last night in my sim I flipped a Hurricane IID over on the runway when battle damaged landing gear collapsed, sliced off a spitfires tail with my wing when I misjudged a pass, belly flopped into a zero when I flew right up his ass spraying fire and pulled up too late, and forgot to put down my landing gear on approach and bellied into the field, but on the other hand I got five kills for the night, so a net gain overall! This was roughly and average day for me...

Last edited by Tk3997; 2011-04-06 at 13:43.
Tk3997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 17:02   Link #1050
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post

It's all just stupid fanservice to them and to the drooling otaku neckbeards they're fleecing, but what about the actual lesbians who watch the show? Like me!
They're not as large or consistent as a paying audience.

I've noticed the fansub-watching culture often complains about anime not matching their personal tastes, without considering it was designed to. Since they're not used to watching anime via paying for it, they're divorced from the economic nature of the anime production system.

Regarding the ambiguous nature of the yuri relationships in the show, I prefer it that way because it's like a a closed Schrodinger's cat box. Multiple interpretations can be true, so everyone's happy. Even in the same person, they can enjoy multiple pairings with the same character and have none be negated by an "official" pairing.

Quote:
BTW, did anyone else feel insulted at the ending scene with the Shinden Striker and Reppumaru lying washed ashore? A very depressing way to end the series. Yet the blu-ray version may hint at something.
I thought it was perfectly poignant.

Regarding the movie, if they only had one non-anime character introduced, I think Helma would be a good choice. Since she's not attached to a larger group so much, like the 502nd and 504th characters are.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-27, 01:53   Link #1051
Jof12788
Disabled By Request

The newest witch from Fuso Empire:

Misa Kadomaru

Spoiler for Misa Kadomaru:

courtesy of Fumigane Shimada's tweets and Strike Witches Wiki.

Also, were did most of our discussion crew go? It seems no one wants to discuss more about Strike Witches 2, let alone discuss some things that I'd like to address?
Old 2011-05-01, 07:11   Link #1052
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
I did a Strike Witches run through last week over the long long easter weekend and I have to say I'm a fan!

When I first got into anime I saw some people talking about SW and I had a quick google search and declared I wouldn't like something that revolved around half nude girls flying around the sky with magical engines strapped to their legs.

On a whim I watched the first episode when I was tired of my models and I was instantly drawn in by the characters.

And that's what I love most about Strike Witches. The characters, the variety just makes this show for me. They seem real and have their own motivations. I really felt for Perrine's love of Gallia and Lynnette's initial dreams of wanting to be of use to the 501st.

I liked all the girls but my favourites had to be Gertrude, Minna and Eila respectively.

Barkhorn duel wielding MG42s was just over the top epic and the soft spot for her kid sister is just too cute.

There is just an air around Minna just commands respect from her subordanites and as Zeker would say, "dat ass". XD

And as much as I hate to admit it, I really loved Eila's cocky attitude and fondness for Sanya.

Granted the ending was a bit of a downer but I hope we'll see a return of Miyafugi someday and have the 501st together once more.

I've already pre-ordered the two new Alter figures coming out and am currently hunting down the Miyafugi and Sanya figures for a decent price. XD

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-11, 21:01   Link #1053
einhorn303

Great Strike Witches news:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Kanemitsu
All previous The Witches of Africa manga has now been translated into English. Previously untranslated material, the Tiger in the Desert chapters, are now in English. We are currently in the editing phase of the a new Witches of Africa compilation.

The new Witches of Africa compilation will include:
- Witches of Africa
- Tiger in the Desert
- Tiger in the Desert II
- The Stuka Witch (new material)

Many pages of the previously published material has been redrawn. Nogami has gone out of his way to improve the quality of the manga. He went all out to add the additional 24 page manga exclusive for this compilation.

The entire book will be in Japanese / English.

This is in addition to the Witches of the Sphinx Vol.3 that has already been released.
http://dankanemitsu.wordpress.com/20...africa-splurge

I've imported and very much enjoyed the first two volumes of "Witches of the Sphinx," (maybe even more than the TV anime), but I never expected all this earlier material to get an official English translation too.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 11:12   Link #1054
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Wonderful! I can't wait for this.
Old 2011-05-12, 11:19   Link #1055
Midonin
Last Engage

I have some news to report about SW2 as well. After countless delays (it was supposed to be October. Then December. Then January. etc.), the second season is finally getting character songs. The character arrangements are a little different from the first season. Namely, Gertrude is listed on two albums (once with the Karlslanders, once with Shirley and Lucchini), as are Sanya and Eila. In fact, Sanya and Eila are the first album. Clearly Columbia knows where the money lies.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 23:07   Link #1056
Jof12788
Disabled By Request

This is all the more great news. (OK maybe not that great, it's the closest it can make up for AIC butchering the series.) I'll be waiting for these character CD's to come very soon.
Old 2011-05-13, 15:42   Link #1057
Midonin
Last Engage

I...wasn't aware there was anything to make up for.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 15:46   Link #1058
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
a last minute plot which defied any sort of logic or continuity.
For some reason, I lol.

Don't get me wrong. I hate the endings to both seasons. Being able to see that sword from the other side of a battle, yea, that didn't make sense. But I also shook my head... eh, whatever. I'll just continue to enjoy (and remember) what's her name's 200th kill with her butt.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 16:51   Link #1059
Jof12788
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
I...wasn't aware there was anything to make up for.
Feel free to disagree with me on this, but I felt that in comparison to the first season, Strike Witches 2, while not a bad anime overall, was seemingly going for more of a generic slice-of-life type of anime instead of continuing to go for more action and fanservice. (Strike Witches 2 lacked a lot of fanservice IMO.) I'd hope for new characters, more action, and (of course) fanservice in the most subtle way possible. I also felt the ending was very terrible and illogical. That ending ruined the entire second season for me. (At least Yoshika didn't lose her magical powers in the ending of the first season.)

Not to mention that this is Strike Witches 2. We should've expected more from this series. But AIC believes that killing a neuroi with a bug crushing ass counts as fanservice and is more important than what would've made Strike Witches 2 better than it's predecessor.
Old 2011-05-13, 18:12   Link #1060
Dahak86
Classics never age

Quote:
But AIC believes that killing a neuroi with a bug crushing ass counts as fanservice and...
it would seem you harbor a strong hatred towards that particular scene.
but you have to admit that the 'Minna neuroi bug crushing ass' will forever be remembered as her 200th kill. it has been marked in history...

and I got
Spoiler for proof:

Quote:
(Strike Witches 2 lacked a lot of fanservice IMO).
Hm, from what I can remember, there's an equal amount of fanservice in both seasons. I would even dare to say there's more fanservice in the 2nd season, what with all the Blu-Rays nipples additions and such.

unless, you wanna count that "infamous" fan-made ep7 from the 1st season as "fanservice" too...

Tags
kemonomimi, light novel adaptation, mecha, mecha musume