AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-05-21, 10:22   Link #41
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Reika officially my #1 character in this series. Something about me liking characters like Kenichi, so seeing Reika trying hard in the midst of all these 'soccer geniuses' just burns up the feeling of rooting for her.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-21, 17:55   Link #42
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I dare anyone to watch a few episodes of this show and not love it. Because if you don’t, your cold, dead heart has surely shriveled to the size of a prune.

Ep 7 was another flawless effort. Love the depiction of how hard Reika has to work to show a little progress, and Shou's Mom actually telling him she's proud of him.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-22, 03:00   Link #43
sergel02

I love Reika ^__^

I just hope she's not drawn like really thin or anything later. I think she's adorable now. Tho i wonder about Kota and Reika's friendship from now on.
sergel02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-22, 06:57   Link #44
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergel02 View Post
I love Reika ^__^

I just hope she's not drawn like really thin or anything later. I think she's adorable now. Tho i wonder about Kota and Reika's friendship from now on.
Reika does lose a lot of weight, eventually. You can see her 'thin' form in the OP. And she's still very cute.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-22, 07:30   Link #45
Kitsu Breaker

Reika going to have a THAT CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT, I hope she become a Precure too

This two girls have the best sax life
FIGHT FOR THE YURI
Kitsu Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-22, 16:07   Link #46
ditn

As long as it is not in a couple of weeks,that would be ridiculous
ditn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 10:55   Link #47
Kitsu Breaker

Damn, the subs are slow

This two girls have the best sax life
FIGHT FOR THE YURI
Kitsu Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 11:08   Link #48
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsu Breaker View Post
Damn, the subs are slow
I just checked the fansubbers website, http://oyatsu-fansubs.com/, and here's a quote from the home page:

"UPDATE: Here’s the latest update on Episode 8. Thing is, since Lad’s on vacation right now, he won’t be able to finish translating before 28th, aka Monday. After he finishes TL, I’ll work on it as fast as possible to release it by Wednesday, aka 30th. Thanks for your cooperation."

I, too, am waiting very impatiently!
Old 2012-05-28, 11:37   Link #49
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Pet peeve. These guys are subbing a show nobody else would touch, and doing it for the love of the product and not for a penny. Rather than complaining, thank them for what they're doing.
Old 2012-05-28, 12:00   Link #50
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Pet peeve. These guys are subbing a show nobody else would touch, and doing it for the love of the product and not for a penny. Rather than complaining, thank them for what they're doing.
Just because I'm waiting impatiently does not mean that I am complaining. Indeed, if it wasn't for them, I would never have known that this series would turn out to be one of my favorites of the season. Perhaps I should have said, "waiting anxiously" instead.

There is only one other show that I anxiously wait for more each week, so I'd say that this is my second favorite for this season. This is such a great show that I am surprised that more people aren't following it. Could it simply be that it is seen as a kids' show?
Old 2012-05-28, 12:42   Link #51
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It's a sports, and it's widely seen as kiddie. Those are insurmountable barriers to drawing a big audience in the English language fandom, I think. It’s too bad, because it's a terrific show.
Old 2012-05-28, 13:04   Link #52
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
It's a sports, and it's widely seen as kiddie. Those are insurmountable barriers to drawing a big audience in the English language fandom, I think. It’s too bad, because it's a terrific show.
I just did some checking, and I'm not sure that it's the "kiddie" aspect that's more of a downer than the sports aspect. The Cross Game forum here on animesuki has over 170 pages (25% of the entries probably posted by you), but then again, Big Windup, Taishou Yakyuu Musume, and Moshidora forums all have 20 pages or less. Hopefully this forum with eventually have more activity than the H2 forum which only has four pages.
Old 2012-05-28, 13:19   Link #53
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
I just did some checking, and I'm not sure that it's the "kiddie" aspect that's more of a downer than the sports aspect. The Cross Game forum here on animesuki has over 170 pages (25% of the entries probably posted by you), but then again, Big Windup, Taishou Yakyuu Musume, and Moshidora forums all have 20 pages or less. Hopefully this forum with eventually have more activity than the H2 forum which only has four pages.
Cross Game gains a lot of appeal for being more of a romance/coming of age anime than really a sports anime (there's even people that watched it without really knowing the rules of baseball).
Also it's 4 cours long so there was more time for discussion than a 1 or 2 cour show.

Chihayafuru's success on this board is due to similar reasons as well.
Old 2012-05-28, 14:11   Link #54
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Yeah, CG was a sports series like Tsuritama is a fishing series. It's an element, but hardly the central point. I think CG is a sort of beyond classification series - it's Adachi, for one, and was far more prominent on this forum (mostly due to word of mouth) than in the English-language fandom generally.
Old 2012-05-28, 14:54   Link #55
ditn

Sports anime's general just get less attention for some reason.
Dont know why really.
ditn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-29, 14:20   Link #56
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Hooray! Episode 8 has finally been subbed!

Spoiler for episode 8:
Although I don't know how realistic a portrayal this was of a soccer match, I was still thoroughly engrossed and, before I knew it, the episode was over!
Old 2012-05-29, 15:32   Link #57
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Well, at least it's better than seeing one person dribble past half the opposing team time and time again, or where most of the match is showcased by 1v1ing the aces together.

So yeah, I know nothing about football tactics, but I like their emphasis on teamwork.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-29, 18:31   Link #58
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

The most important thing was the dramatic side - it was an excellent and dramatic episode that flew by. The last thing GeK had to prove was that it could pull off an in-game episode that mattered, and it's mission accomplished. I like the fact that Masaru is letting Shou get through this on his own (the fact that it's a weaker opponent doesn't hurt) because he needs to overcome his inferiority complex and show the team he's the real leader.

But the soccer tactics still matter, of course - and I think they were quite realistic. I figured Masaru would scatter the Triplets across the formation, and I think he wants Kouta in the central playmaker role because he's going to draw a ton of attention, and free up space in the enemy's penalty area. It happened exactly as it would have in real life - the other team figured out the Furuyas weren't going to share the ball and triple-marked them, and the game became an ugly scrum. I've never heard the term "dango soccer" but the weird guy with glasses and beard (and green jacket and fedora) basically had it right - that's how a lot of matches where there's a large skill gap look.

Speaking of - he's an odd one. Definitely the most random element in the series so far.
Old 2012-05-29, 18:56   Link #59
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
The most important thing was the dramatic side - it was an excellent and dramatic episode that flew by. The last thing GeK had to prove was that it could pull off an in-game episode that mattered, and it's mission accomplished. I like the fact that Masaru is letting Shou get through this on his own (the fact that it's a weaker opponent doesn't hurt) because he needs to overcome his inferiority complex and show the team he's the real leader.

But the soccer tactics still matter, of course - and I think they were quite realistic. I figured Masaru would scatter the Triplets across the formation, and I think he wants Kouta in the central playmaker role because he's going to draw a ton of attention, and free up space in the enemy's penalty area. It happened exactly as it would have in real life - the other team figured out the Furuyas weren't going to share the ball and triple-marked them, and the game became an ugly scrum. I've never heard the term "dango soccer" but the weird guy with glasses and beard (and green jacket and fedora) basically had it right - that's how a lot of matches where there's a large skill gap look.

Speaking of - he's an odd one. Definitely the most random element in the series so far.
It sure did a good job of injecting drama into the match. Getting Shou to raise his confidence level is one aspect of the coach's plan I hadn't thought about. Like Reika, he does seem to have a serious lack of self-confidence, though his enthusiasm has been the driving force of getting the team back together. It probably helped him a lot when the other teammates praised him for his efforts.

Glad to hear that the soccer itself seems realistic. I did find one soccer related reference to "dango soccer", but even with google translate, I couldn't really understand what it was referring to. A team maybe?

I also couldn't figure out what the weirdo with the glasses and beard was up to. He had a video camera which appeared to be hooked to his laptop, so was he a scout? Or maybe a reporter? Or just some soccer fanatic? He did appear to know a lot more about the game than I do.
Old 2012-05-29, 19:18   Link #60
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I think it makes reference to the shape - a dango is a round clump of rice four, and "dango soccer" is probably a colloquial term for all the players being clustered into a tight circle around the ball - which was happening every time a Furuya possessed it.

Tags
school life, shounen, sports