AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Muv-Luv Franchise > Total Eclipse

Notices

Old 2013-07-30, 11:13   Link #201
faiz blaster

A few interesting bits that I recently learned about Yuuya's background:
  • Yuuya's grandfather fought in WWII and suffered at the hands of the Japanese while in a POW camp in Southeast Asia. His despite for them come from this experience;
  • The Bridges house was a traditional family with quite a bit of influence in the community they lived. However, the case surrounding Yuuya's birth put them in quite a delicate position;
  • Mira Bridges was actually the youngest and only girl of the house. Also, she spent most of her life being pampered by her parents and older brothers;
  • In contrast to Grandpa Bridges, Grandma Bridges continued to treat Mira kindly even after she came back home pregnant. On another hand, she ignored Yuuya's existence entirely.
  • Yuuya understands that his Grandparents behavior was actually motivated by their desperate wishes to help their daughter get over "being abandoned by the man she loved"
  • Ironically, after Grandpa Bridges' death, Yuuya unwittingly took over the role of badmouthing his father and the Japanese in front of Mira.
Old 2013-07-30, 11:16   Link #202
gbatemper

Quote:
Originally Posted by faiz blaster View Post
  • Yuuya's grandfather fought in WWII and suffered at the hands of the Japanese while in a POW camp in Southeast Asia. His despite for them come from this experience;
  • The Bridges house was a traditional family with quite a bit of influence in the community they lived. However, the case surrounding Yuuya's birth put them in quite a delicate position;
  • Mira Bridges was actually the youngest and only girl of the house. Also, she spent most of her life being pampered by her parents and older brothers;
  • In contrast to Grandpa Bridges, Grandma Bridges continued to treat Mira kindly even after she came back home pregnant. On another hand, she ignored Yuuya's existence entirely.
  • Yuuya understands that his Grandparents behavior was actually motivated by their desperate wishes to help their daughter get over "being abandoned by the man she loved"
  • Ironically, after Grandpa Bridges' death, Yuuya unwittingly took over the role of badmouthing his father and the Japanese in front of Mira.
Weren't Japanese Americans only deployed only in the European lines, because of the government being afraid the Japanese would try to convince them to defect? I thought WW2 was the same and it divered with the atomic bomb and BETA
gbatemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-30, 15:48   Link #203
faiz blaster

Grandpa Bridges was a pure blood, white-trash American. Japanese blood wasn't introduced into the family until Yuuya's parents' generation.
Old 2013-07-30, 23:30   Link #204
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

I wouldn't say Grandpa Bridges is white trash; more like he's a southern redneck type. IIRC Yuuya grew up in freaking Alabama.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-31, 04:14   Link #205
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
IIRC Yuuya grew up in freaking Alabama.
- ...that explains PLENTY. No, it actually explains Yuuya COMPLETELY.
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-31, 09:19   Link #206
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Ah, the bible belt.
Where "If your not white and Christian(Like certain Protestant denominations or Evangelical), you ain't American".
Old 2013-07-31, 09:35   Link #207
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehawk View Post
- ...that explains PLENTY. No, it actually explains Yuuya COMPLETELY.
It does, doesn't it? AMT once told me that for Extra lulz he always imagined dub Yuuya with an Alabama accent.

That said Comet Yuuya has worked hard to get rid of the accent, and for the most part has suceeded in doing so.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2013-07-31, 13:31   Link #208
Alastor Mobius Toth
Idar Lead

Wait, wait, is he really from Alabama, or are we just assuming stuff? Since all I knew for certain, was that he's from "Deep South".

Granted, I said Alabama because I need the most redneck State I could think of, and I played Wings of Liberty too.

The accent part was actually a stealth reference to nu!Battlestar Galactica, and Baltar's real, working-class Aerlion accent (which is I think, Yorkshire? Maybe something further up North). That said, irl American military supposedly trains its grunts so that they don't have an accent (so they can't be readily identified by enemy intelligence). Yuuya would probably be the same, though I imagine that in more emotional moments he slips back to his southern drawl.

Meanwhile, inb4 Yuuya's granddad being Army Air Corps. Or, God-forbid, Marines. (Yuuya's Navy, fyi)
Alastor Mobius Toth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-31, 23:25   Link #209
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

...shit, I was assuming stuff. *facepalm* All we know is the Deep South.

Also, one thing I'm told is that irl American military pilots tend to adopt Texan or Virginian accents; a smooth, calm, confident drawl. This was after Chuck Yeager, who could be absolutely deadpan and calm even as shit was falling apart. "Son, I got a bit of a problem here, so I'm gonna drop my speed and altitude. Would you mind following me down and keepin' an eye on me?"

Also, if Yuuya's granddad was in an IJA POW camp, he'd either be a Marine, or Army. If Army, most likely he was captured in the Philippines. Hell, he might even be a survivor of the Bataan Death March, in which case his hate is justified and completely understandable.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2013-07-31, 23:29   Link #210
faiz blaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor Mobius Toth View Post
Wait, wait, is he really from Alabama, or are we just assuming stuff? Since all I knew for certain, was that he's from "Deep South".

Granted, I said Alabama because I need the most redneck State I could think of, and I played Wings of Liberty too.

The accent part was actually a stealth reference to nu!Battlestar Galactica, and Baltar's real, working-class Aerlion accent (which is I think, Yorkshire? Maybe something further up North). That said, irl American military supposedly trains its grunts so that they don't have an accent (so they can't be readily identified by enemy intelligence). Yuuya would probably be the same, though I imagine that in more emotional moments he slips back to his southern drawl.

Meanwhile, inb4 Yuuya's granddad being Army Air Corps. Or, God-forbid, Marines. (Yuuya's Navy, fyi)
Okay, I have doubts regarding that last bit. I'm pretty sure that Yuuya was from the Army. The whole "Top Gun" thing was just a joke from the guys at Yukon.
Old 2013-07-31, 23:49   Link #211
Darthtabby

Quote:
I'm liking some of these new details quite a bit, as it makes Grandpa Bridges a bit more than just the angry racist he came across as in the anime and show's some acknowledgment of Imperial Japan's darker side on the part of the creators. On the other hand some of the details we've got recently don't seem to jive that well with how things were portrayed in the anime. In particular I don't think Mira's Japanese doll or Japanese cooking would have been welcome in the family home after that. Plus you'd think that if she loved Yuuya's dad enough to leave him in order to protect him, she's be honest about that fact rather than pretending that he left her.

And yeah, I think you're right about Yuuya being Army rather than Navy. The pictures/scenes where he's in dress uniform make that pretty clear.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-01, 00:43   Link #212
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Okay, I have doubts regarding that last bit. I'm pretty sure that Yuuya was from the Army. The whole "Top Gun" thing was just a joke from the guys at Yukon.
With regard to Yuuya, IIRC in the Light Novels he's mentioned as being Navy originally, and Top Gun being a joint services school. I assume the anime retconned that to being Army, given that TBF it made little sense for a Navy pilot to be part of an Army Program (F-22 EMD phase).

That said, thanks to the school, ace pilots are called top guns in media, so meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
I'm liking some of these new details quite a bit, as it makes Grandpa Bridges a bit more than just the angry racist he came across as in the anime and show's some acknowledgment of Imperial Japan's darker side on the part of the creators. On the other hand some of the details we've got recently don't seem to jive that well with how things were portrayed in the anime. In particular I don't think Mira's Japanese doll or Japanese cooking would have been welcome in the family home after that. Plus you'd think that if she loved Yuuya's dad enough to leave him in order to protect him, she's be honest about that fact rather than pretending that he left her.

And yeah, I think you're right about Yuuya being Army rather than Navy. The pictures/scenes where he's in dress uniform make that pretty clear.
I suspect that Mira may not exactly be living in the family home, but around the neighbourhood/near her parents. *shrug* Also, given the VN mentions Grandpa Bridges has a friend who's a General, I have a feeling he was probably Army, which may have influenced Yuuya.

IIRC Kouki mentioned that the anime takes precedence over the light novels, so that'd mean that Yuuya previously being Navy has been retconned.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2013-08-01, 00:46   Link #213
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Yuuya - a "hard-boiled" or "half-boiled"? Or more exactly, how many percentage of his actions is facade?
Also, the story of Bridges family is kind of a reverse from the normal world, with American garrison army personel.
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-01, 01:10   Link #214
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

...Hard boiled and half boiled have very little to do here, IMO, because this isn't a detective noir story.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2013-08-01, 07:07   Link #215
Alastor Mobius Toth
Idar Lead

Quote:

IIRC Kouki mentioned that the anime takes precedence over the light novels, so that'd mean that Yuuya previously being Navy has been retconned.
This...this sucks. You mean...you mean Yuuya's now Army!?

BUT ARMY'S FOR LOOSERS, YOU CAN'T DO THAT!!!

Especially since LNs had better conspiracy too.
Fuck you Kouki, fuck you.
Alastor Mobius Toth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-01, 07:47   Link #216
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Well, who knows? The true is, I am quite surprise how Yuuya could graduated from the Boot Camp at the first place.
Old 2013-08-01, 16:43   Link #217
Micropod

Quote:
Besides the parts where the VN overwrote the anime, like surprise terrorist Berkut, or Yui flying home without being shot, I guess. Anime continuity is funny.
Micropod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-01, 18:42   Link #218
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micropod View Post
Besides the parts where the VN overwrote the anime, like surprise terrorist Berkut, or Yui flying home without being shot, I guess. Anime continuity is funny.
This is what happens when Kouki doesn't have a BETA.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2013-08-01, 19:32   Link #219
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Well, you could never expect an Anime to stay the same as its Visual Novel origin. Just look at Infinite Stratos!
Hey, has anyone listed the different between these two?
Old 2013-08-09, 16:26   Link #220
faiz blaster

Great! I just discovered that youtube decided to F#CK me up and banned the guy that was uploading his playthrough of the Visual Novel, deleting his account and all the videos!

So now I come to you guys for help: if anyone knows where I can find the Visual Novel in video format, could you please let me know. I don't mind if you just PM me. I'm fine with whatever way you prefer.