AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 15
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 45 24.86%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 46 25.41%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 49 27.07%
7 out of 10 : Good... 24 13.26%
6 out of 10 : Average... 6 3.31%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 1 0.55%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 5 2.76%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 2 1.10%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 1 0.55%
1 out of 10 : Tortuous... 2 1.10%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-10-14, 18:28   Link #301
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
TL;DR…
"Thought Provoking"
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Anyway, now back to your regularly-scheduled discussion...
This basically. A lot of the criticisms I see from the show are, to me at least, purely about aesthetics and complaints about plot presentation. Personally I'd rather have a thought-provoking discussion about the issues raised by the series (Which are a lot by the way, and I believe the author tries to do so in a meaningful but fun way) and have a substantive discussion based on that. Or if we want to be critical about the plot presentation, then please present us with a much better one in your view. Because as critics have pointed out, there is a lot of potential for this series. I too want to see the world that critics envision. (Plus with the large character pool, would allow for a wide range of development)

As for the Suguha-raburabu I just have to say it's a very interesting dynamic.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 18:30   Link #302
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
Maybe the poster read the LNs lol. The world may never know~
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
TL;DR…
"Thought Provoking"

Anyway, now back to your regularly-scheduled discussion...
Well said, sir, well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakou View Post
The cousin stuff was kinda random. Not sure what happened there. She has a crush on him? That's just creepy. Hopefully that doesn't get too much airtime, he clearly doesn't want anyone except Asuna.
Geez people why are people saying the cousin thing was random? Watch Ep 4 people!

Last edited by ronelm2000; 2012-10-14 at 21:14.
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 18:53   Link #303
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Well, I see that the prototype for a certain Accel World antagonist has now appeared in SAO.

Honestly, I kinda like the guy as a villain. I honestly think that the moustache-twirling villain is under-appreciated in today's world. Sometimes it's amusing to just see a classic-style villain in all his slime and malfeasance.

And contrary to what some people are arguing on this thread, you do get some people like this in real life - some real jerks and slimeballs that'll do vile things just to get what they want. Some people allow their selfishness to lead them into doing evil. People, in their entirely, are probably never entirely good or entirely evil, but some of their actions can be.

That aside, SAO is nothing if not over-the-top (last episode alone should make that clear). At this point, you might as well embrace the cheese if you're going to keep watching the show. It's much more fun that way, imo.

All of that being said, I groan at the 35986th case of incestual overtones in anime. I'd say that anime has ran this concept into the ground but that would actually be doing a disservice to the ground. It would probably be more accurate to say that anime has ran this concept right into the Earth's molten core - that's probably more accurate than just basic ground.

Not saying that Kirito's sister isn't a good character (she seems likeable enough), but we really don't need this given how Kirito is totally committed to Asuna and already has a sizable harem anyway. It actually would have been nice to see a girl in Kirito's life that just loves him as family and/or friend.

9/10 minus a point for incest cliche = 8/10 for Episode 15 of SAO.
Old 2012-10-14, 18:55   Link #304
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
of that being said, I groan at the 35986th case of incestual overtones in anime. I'd say that anime has ran this concept into the ground but that would actually be doing a disservice to the ground. It would probably be more accurate to say that anime has ran this concept right into the Earth's molten core - that's probably more accurate than just basic ground.
At least appreciate the fact that it (Vol. 3) was at least made around 2005 (?)... a time when incest was... not so common.
Old 2012-10-14, 18:58   Link #305
Deltaray

Wonder what version of windows they have in 2025

Deltaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 18:58   Link #306
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
Personally I'd rather have a thought-provoking discussion about the issues raised by the series (Which are a lot by the way, and I believe the author tries to do so in a meaningful but fun way) and have a substantive discussion based on that.
I did see some of these, but they were quickly drowned away. I'd say you and like-minded people will need to be more vocal about this then, more so than those that drowned the issue (other than those who criticize, a lot of people also seemingly only talk about KiritoxAsuna or other shippings or who's the best girl or how hawt Kirito is). I do kind of miss the kind of philosophical discussions I had during Madoka's airtime, though I'm still not convinced I can get the same experience out of this show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
Or if we want to be critical about the plot presentation, then please present us with a much better one in your view. Because as critics have pointed out, there is a lot of potential for this series. I too want to see the world that critics envision. (Plus with the large character pool, would allow for a wide range of development)
That is not our job, since that would essentially be doing the author's work for him, wouldn't it? "Like you can make something better!?" is a common refusal of criticism among amateur creators, who in effect refuse to be better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronelm2000
At least appreciate the fact that it (Vol. 3) was at least made around 2005 (?)... a time when incest was... not so common.
Really? Sister Princess already existed waay before that though.
Old 2012-10-14, 19:00   Link #307
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronelm2000 View Post
Fair enough. I doubt it'll bother me much the rest of the way, since the sister/cousin here appears to have already conceded defeat to Asuna. And it could have been much worse; at least she is a nice and likeable character.
Old 2012-10-14, 19:03   Link #308
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

what else I can say....

decent new opening and prologue...
cute Suguha...
evil Sugou...
and breakdown-mode Kirito....
seeing Suguha really makes me miss to see Silica again since both of them are pretty similar..
poor Sugu.... Kirito just break another heart....
I like the new ending as well...

10/10... my only complain is this episode seems too short
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 19:07   Link #309
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
I doubt it'll bother me much the rest of the way, since the sister/cousin here appears to have already conceded defeat to Asuna.
Conceded defeat? I'm pretty sure I heard her say something like "I won't lie to myself anymore" in this episode. Didn't sound very defeated to me, lol.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 19:08   Link #310
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
I was referring to the amount of incest tropes ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltaray View Post
Wonder what version of windows they have in 2025
I think Kirito is either being retro, 'cus that's a Windows 7 w/ Fences w/ and edited Windows Shell...

...and/or Hilarious in Hindsight
Spoilers
Spoiler for Hint on above
Old 2012-10-14, 19:42   Link #311
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronelm2000 View Post
I was referring to the amount of incest tropes ....
Which is why asked, "really?"
I thought if SisPri was already out sometime before 2000, then the trope wasn't really uncommon by 2005. But that's not important I guess.
Old 2012-10-14, 19:42   Link #312
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan21 View Post
It's the oldest cliche of the harem genre though,
to have an annoying fiancée pop up from nowhere and steal the girl

It works well though, it's always easy to hate this type for forcing his own feelings/wants on the heroine
This is the first time I've seen this cliche in a harem before, I don't think it was cliche at all.

That new OP/ED were okay, well it's hard to keep up when the first OP/ED set a bar so high. I don't think they are going to be as great as the original, but might like over time.

So Suguha has a thing for her cousin huh? What is it with anime and sibling or cousing coupling?

That Sugou, what a pig! I hope he dies really bad in the end.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 20:20   Link #313
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post
This is the first time I've seen this cliche in a harem before, I don't think it was cliche at all.

That new OP/ED were okay, well it's hard to keep up when the first OP/ED set a bar so high. I don't think they are going to be as great as the original, but might like over time.

So Suguha has a thing for her cousin huh? What is it with anime and sibling or cousing coupling?

That Sugou, what a pig! I hope he dies really bad in the end.
Spoiler for Another show:

On to the episode.

9/10 for me. I liked the episode. I've noticed that Kirito/Kazuto (not sure which to refer to him as) really isnt the most emotionally stable person around. Granted he's better off then most I've seen. Then again, taking into consideration all he's been through; watching the Black Cats get wiped out, watching Asuna take a fatal blow for him, thinking she has died, can't really bash him for it. He deserves some cry time. All he needs is a little Asuna to get better

Sugou the sociopath, just know he's gonna get what he deserves, I'll wait patiently for it, other then that just gonna watch to see how dispicable he gets.

Suguha seems adorable. The whole "not blood-related" issue or the fact that she likes him doesnt really bother me. Reason being: Kiri/Kazuto will never reciprocate. Can't really agree that there's a "love triangle," I think both sides have to have a CHANCE at victory in order for it to be a love triangle.

Looks like Asuna got dragged from one game into another, girl just cant catch a break. The first MMO she plays almost kills her, then when she's finally freed she's........not really freed. The picture that Agil sent Kirito, she looked kinda sad, she's probably feeling the same way Kirito is right now.

Spoiler for Speculation:

End speculation
Metaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 20:21   Link #314
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
Conceded defeat? I'm pretty sure I heard her say something like "I won't lie to myself anymore" in this episode. Didn't sound very defeated to me, lol.
I took that to mean "I'm not going to lie to myself anymore... about Kirito's level of dedication to Asuna".
Old 2012-10-14, 20:42   Link #315
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
I took that to mean "I'm not going to lie to myself anymore... about Kirito's level of dedication to Asuna".
I think that, given the context of the statement she makes ("try your best"), the gesture at the time, and the flashback that followed (which was directly connected to the statement)... I think she's saying that she intends to no longer lie about her own feelings for Kazuto, even though she also realizes that his heart is set on Asuna right now. I suspect she "won't go down without a fight", even though the winner is basically already decided. But of course, we shall see.
Old 2012-10-14, 21:48   Link #316
Znail

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
One example does not make something common.
Znail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 21:58   Link #317
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaneo View Post
Suguha seems adorable. The whole "not blood-related" issue or the fact that she likes him doesnt really bother me. Reason being: Kiri/Kazuto will never reciprocate. Can't really agree that there's a "love triangle," I think both sides have to have a CHANCE at victory in order for it to be a love triangle.
haven't read the LN but I don't think Sugu have no chance at all.

again KiritoXSugu OTP.
Old 2012-10-14, 21:58   Link #318
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znail View Post
One example does not make something common.
Do we really want to turn this to an evidence fest?

Last edited by erneiz_hyde; 2012-10-14 at 22:13.
erneiz_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 22:00   Link #319
Raviel

That was a pretty nice "breather" episode from the games, for some reason though I still can't completely get behind the design of their wings in the OP. (a bit too....fairy-ish for me, if that makes sense given the setting )

Also now that I've.....uh.....seen Kirito's SAO stance in real life it actually looks pretty good if you knew what you were doing.
Raviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 22:13   Link #320
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimidori View Post
haven't read the LN but I don't think Sugu have no chance at all.

again KiritoXSugu OTP.
Something massive would have to happen then. Some kind of major event to change his feelings for her, and I think that would require some major character derailment. Or Asuna would have to die.

I wouldnt be very unhappy with either as I believe the two are perfect for each other.
Metaneo is offline   Reply With Quote