AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-11-15, 16:47   Link #121
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
While I personally didn't get interested in T&B for the Fujoshi angle honestly I'm more inclined to believe that the Newtype readers would be into it more for that reason than a mecha angle. I just haven't seen much evidence to suggest a lot of Japanese otaku think all that particularly hard about why they like characters and thus to me it just seems more plausible that that would be the reason. It'd mesh better with the whole distilled moe voting block thing that Newtype has going on as well. I wish there were more evidence to the contrary and I didn't have to generalize and assume things about Japanese fans but time and time again they make very emphatic gestures as to have simple arbitrary reasons for character appreciation. Sorry Triple but while I so want to support youe argument and while in almost any other case it would be a totally rational and well thought out one, evidence and history kind of sides with Westlo and Last Sinner here.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-15, 20:41   Link #122
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
While I personally didn't get interested in T&B for the Fujoshi angle honestly I'm more inclined to believe that the Newtype readers would be into it more for that reason than a mecha angle. I just haven't seen much evidence to suggest a lot of Japanese otaku think all that particularly hard about why they like characters and thus to me it just seems more plausible that that would be the reason. It'd mesh better with the whole distilled moe voting block thing that Newtype has going on as well. I wish there were more evidence to the contrary and I didn't have to generalize and assume things about Japanese fans but time and time again they make very emphatic gestures as to have simple arbitrary reasons for character appreciation. Sorry Triple but while I so want to support youe argument and while in almost any other case it would be a totally rational and well thought out one, evidence and history kind of sides with Westlo and Last Sinner here.
The reason why I'm supporting the mecha angle is because I think that's the most logical explanation for why Kira, Lelouch, Lacus, and Sheryl are all mainstays in these NewType polls. And if they're there because mecha fans are keeping them there, then that means that a significant portion of New Type's readership are serious mecha fans.

In fairness, I suppose you could almost as easily chalk up Kira and Lelouch to fujoshis, but that obviously doesn't explain Lacus and Sheryl.

You have two really old female characters that are practically fixtures in these polls, and they're very different characters from one another. But one thing they have in common is that they're both from famous mecha titles - Gundam Seed and Macross Frontier respectively.

Maybe part of why Kotetsu is here is because of fujoshis, but I still wouldn't underestimate the mecha fan side of things. It helps that Tiger and Bunny is a Sunrise title, imo. I think that NewType readers have some appreciation for that particular animation studio.
Old 2012-11-15, 23:20   Link #123
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
The reason why I'm supporting the mecha angle is because I think that's the most logical explanation for why Kira, Lelouch, Lacus, and Sheryl are all mainstays in these NewType polls. And if they're there because mecha fans are keeping them there, then that means that a significant portion of New Type's readership are serious mecha fans.

In fairness, I suppose you could almost as easily chalk up Kira and Lelouch to fujoshis, but that obviously doesn't explain Lacus and Sheryl.

You have two really old female characters that are practically fixtures in these polls, and they're very different characters from one another. But one thing they have in common is that they're both from famous mecha titles - Gundam Seed and Macross Frontier respectively.

Maybe part of why Kotetsu is here is because of fujoshis, but I still wouldn't underestimate the mecha fan side of things. It helps that Tiger and Bunny is a Sunrise title, imo. I think that NewType readers have some appreciation for that particular animation studio.
Lacus and Sheryl both tap into the idol craze and both have really popular song tie-ins. They're pretty much opposites in terms of characterization and song types though. As for Newtype readers, I've never gotten the impression that they have any particular attachment to a specific studio, they just seem to gravitate towards big budget stuff.
Old 2012-11-16, 00:13   Link #124
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

I've apologised to Triple_R multiple times for the way I worded my previous post. I was very out of line.

The point I was trying to make was while people can take a variety of things out of a show, there's usually a clear majority for the quality that was the most marketed. I personally like to think deeper about shows when it's warranted since writing is the aspect of media I like most. However, I have accepted the fact that modern life's affect of time available, fatigue, shorter attention spans and other factors have led to a point where simpler emotions or stimulation or subtext that are easier to digest are easier to market and sell more. And the fujioshi aspect is one of them. Hell, a bunch of guys I know regularly flaunt their 'inner fujioshi.'

It's their choice - as long as consumers understand how their purchases will ultimately affect what is made. People get what they deserve.

And on what Triple_R said, I think his stance is fairly valid in Western aspects. But there's sometimes considerable differences between what Japan wants/sees and what the West sees.

Quote:
Lacus and Sheryl both tap into the idol craze and both have really popular song tie-ins. They're pretty much opposites in terms of characterization and song types though. As for Newtype readers, I've never gotten the impression that they have any particular attachment to a specific studio, they just seem to gravitate towards big budget stuff.
They're effectively tapping into aspects that became popular after Macross: Do You Remember Love and repeating the steps of Lynn Minmay. It worked back then and still does. It's criminal that title still can't be licensed in English thanks to legal disputes over who actually owns it, particularly with the recent 30th anniversary.

Last edited by Last Sinner; 2012-11-16 at 00:24.
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-16, 01:41   Link #125
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

A couple points I'd like to make:
First, IMO, character polls are almost always going to be skewered somewhat towards the tastes of the... "enthusiastic towards characters" - fujoshi or otherwise - simply by virtue of participation rates being higher among this group.

Second, as with the fans of big name moe shows like K-On!, I question whether most fujoshi are actually all that "unmainstream". I'm part of a local anime club that's more casual and targetted to adults than most - and for whatever reason the past couple years we've had a fairly steady stream of Japanese exchange students who show up from time to time. None of them struck me as fujoshi types, but one said she had cosplayed... as Ciel Phantomhive in a dress.

...So yeah. My gut feeling on this one is that the fujoshi base extends way, way beyond the "lunatic fringe" many people associate it with.

(For reference, on the moe side, once of the other girls struck me as having very well balanced tastes between shounen action, cute moe stuff, etc. At some point, it came out she had worn a maid outfit for a school festival band performance in high school. Again, otherwise came across as a very normal person.)

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-17, 09:48   Link #126
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Kono Light Novel ga Sugoi! is a sort of magazine I guess.

Until more gets posted this is all I have... Though the full results are already known elsewhere...

Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-17, 12:23   Link #127
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
I see them list Kuroneko.

But see only Kirino in the pic.

:S

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-17, 12:44   Link #128
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post

They use the cover picture from the Light Novel Questionable choice but nobody's perfect
Old 2012-11-19, 11:36   Link #129
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post

The lesson I've taken from this is that cat themed don't even get their own picture let alone one to themselves, that's the sole privilege of butterfly themed ones.
Old 2012-11-20, 23:24   Link #130
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
The lesson I've taken from this is that cat themed don't even get their own picture let alone one to themselves, that's the sole privilege of butterfly themed ones.
It's fine. It's because cats just don't give a damn about things so small. Too bad she lives in a series called "My little sister can't be such an attention whore!"

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 08:52   Link #131
Kakkou
Tch.

Animedia December 2012 Character Ranking:

Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 09:38   Link #132
mistress_kisara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakkou View Post
Animedia December 2012 Character Ranking:

Damn, Kuroko's harem are all there And 2 Okita Soujis/Sougo
mistress_kisara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-11, 12:15   Link #133
Krono

This seems to be the latest Newtype character poll:

Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-11, 16:31   Link #134
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Who's the guy in second place?
Old 2012-12-11, 17:00   Link #135
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Kinda Surprised Yuuta not there even if Rikka there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Who's the guy in second place?
Toriharon from Gothicmade

that kinda out of nowhere

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-11, 22:21   Link #136
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
Kinda Surprised Yuuta not there even if Rikka there
Lelouch is there, so Yuuta is kinda there in spirit...
Old 2012-12-12, 00:31   Link #137
Red_Zeal_Knight

Damn really Rikka at number 2
Really Nibuntani the more developed character in the show
Red_Zeal_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-12, 01:16   Link #138
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Kirito and Asuna! Yeah, couples should be place at the same standing...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-13, 10:48   Link #139
Ichuki
┌(^o^)┘モリ!┌(^o^)┘モリ!

Glad all 3 Magi mains are in it.
Ichuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-08, 11:35   Link #140
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Latest newtype poll

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Morgiana first!! Magi is growing more and more popular.

Tags
magazine, poll