AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2010-10-04, 21:46   Link #17881
TehChron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
You only quoted me. If you intended to quote somebody else, I don't see it in there, and I thought from the response you were suggesting it was my point. Sorry if I got the wrong idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehChron View Post
Episode 7 called. It says it wants you to pay the medical bills for treating the concussion brought about by the epic facepalm it just did.
Check that post, which is what you initially responded to.

kthx
TehChron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 22:19   Link #17882
Will Wright

Quote:
Bern appearing as a character on a "board" is actually a very unusual event. Did you notice that? Bern and Lambda almost never "descend" to the board. That doesn't mean they can't, mind you. But they usually don't. Will also doesn't seem to make a lot of sense as a board character, as we explicitly know from his provided backstory that he is not a normal human being. Yet everyone more or less treats him as if he were.

So that's weird.

Then the Claire stuff, which Lion clearly references at the Tea Party when Claire appears, yet which otherwise is relatively insulated from the other parts of the episode.

It's kind of a twisty mess, and what happens where and what it even means for something to happen in a "place" on the meta-fictional structure is really, really important. And I won't go lecturing you on that with respect to ep7 because I have no idea yet which parts go where.You apparently don't understand that I never made that claim. So... I agree?
Will doesn't make sense as a real person, but what if he is in fact, say, Battler?
Battler joined Scotland Yard(just go with it) to find out the truth behind Rokkenjima and cam back disguised as someone. Or something.

I know it has another explanation, but I just can't help but find Battler not being in Rokkenjima when Will is rather weird.

YASHKBATTLERWILLNONTRICE

I'm kidding, mostly, but I think that seeing Battler=Will would be interesting, even if it doesn't match the episodes so far.

Last edited by Will Wright; 2010-10-05 at 21:19.
Will Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 23:59   Link #17883
Smeckledorf
Intellectual Rapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehChron View Post
Let's start with the simplest one to prove, namely Will's investigation, which also happens to include the most glaring example of a change to past events. Namely the existence of Lion.

Bernkastel actively created it, guides Will along it, has set it up to include the normal cast of characters, and generally abide by similar rules as the preceding games. For all intents and purposes, it's the same game as the previous episodes, just on a different game board. The inclusion of Will and Lion, as well as the difference in the setup of the chapel, are all distortions from the other games, due to alterations of events prior to the game start itself.

I understand perfectly well. But the claim that "there are no changes to the events prior to the game in all episodes" is simply erroneous.
How is that erroneous? There is not one hint of history changing in 6 episodes, and when it is changed in episode 7 we have a different type of game almost incomparable to the others.
Also, if history were allowed to change then creating theories would be utterly futile.
Old 2010-10-06, 01:04   Link #17884
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeckledorf View Post
How is that erroneous? There is not one hint of history changing in 6 episodes, and when it is changed in episode 7 we have a different type of game almost incomparable to the others.
Also, if history were allowed to change then creating theories would be utterly futile.
Natsuhi wasn't aware of the baby from 19 years ago in episode 6 when it was mentioned. That could be one of those hints I think...
Judoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-06, 03:25   Link #17885

The writing of Ep8 has started.

Spoiler for Blog:

Looks like ep8 will solve the remaining mysteries and its not a happy end either. 8(
and
Spoiler for NOOOOO~:
40511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-06, 06:13   Link #17886
littlegal100

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40511 View Post
The writing of Ep8 has started.

Spoiler for Blog:

Looks like ep8 will solve the remaining mysteries and its not a happy end either. 8(
and
Spoiler for NOOOOO~:
Is that what he says on the blog? Well it's like like I expected a happy end but still

It'd be nice if I could understand this >.>
littlegal100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-06, 07:10   Link #17887
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

He doesn't say much, for what I can understand. The whole thing could be condensed into a:

"EP8 will be the last chapter and it will be a true epilogue, a true closure".

It seems that Ryuukishi feels as if EP6 and EP7 were already conclusive by themselves in their respective focuses, and therefore EP8 will be the ending of and ending.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-06, 07:52   Link #17888
Used Can

He's saying that EP8 shouldn't be thought as another episode, but rather as a side-story.
If I'm not mistaken, he's also saying EP8 won't have a "grand finale" flavour. In fact, rather than being considered as the final episode, it should be seen as a story to wrap things up. He also mentioned that this would be Umineko's epilogue.

In addition to these things, R07 mentioned that EP6 spun and tied Battler and Beato's story, and EP7 spun and tied the revelation of the truth behind the mysteries (although, he said there are a few more things to explain).

Anyway, he mentioned nothing about this being a happy or sad ending.
Old 2010-10-06, 08:07   Link #17889

He did say readers should not fully expect it to be a happy ending.

Spoiler for .:
40511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-06, 08:38   Link #17890
Used Can

Oh, that one. He's basically saying what we already knew; this will be no Matsuribayashi-hen, with an extremely happy grand finale. If anyone is expecting anything like that, then EP8 will make things painfully clear.
Old 2010-10-06, 10:04   Link #17891
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

I imagine there are still holdouts who believe the incident is preventable somehow, but all evidence seems to be weighted heavily against that. So it would certainly appear that most folks are going to be dead, dead, and double-dead. If that is what he's getting at, I'm not really surprised, and I don't think anyone else here is.

However, I am curious where he's going with it. Though I have some ideas, ep7 itself was a surprise in form and execution to me, so I'm not going to second guess him on how he intends to present things. I will say that I think he might be a bit misleading if what people are translating is close to accurate; even if this is a "side story" or "coda" to the stories he says he's already wrapped up, there's a very good chance it actually all ties together in one form or another, so I'd expect there to be "answers" in ep8 in at least a thematic sense, and those answers might help answer other things.

Of course, there's even or better odds he'll do something completely outside my expectations, so who knows.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-06, 12:38   Link #17892
Arachanox
Trust the red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
If I'm not mistaken, he's also saying EP8 won't have a "grand finale" flavour. In fact, rather than being considered as the final episode, it should be seen as a story to wrap things up. He also mentioned that this would be Umineko's epilogue...
If true, I will be somewhat disappointed.

I have for some time hoped that Umineko will end with another cascade of gigantic, flashy battles, akin to the EP4 and EP5 ???s. It just felt that another step into the awesome world of epic should have been taken, and the battles do that for me.

Of course, the tragedy and its bitter details may deserve a simple, quiet funeral. I don't want Umineko to end with a whimper (rather with a tremendous bang!) but if the ultimate end of the story comes down to Battler explaining to his little sister his views on the truth behind the death of their extended family (as I assume it will), then an end like that certainly deserves quiet retrospection.

I believe Ryukishi will find room for another epic soundtrack by zts, with an equally epic moment for it - perhaps in some final clash with Bernkastel and Lambda. He hasn't failed me yet. Perhaps the characters in the metaworld, fully believing in each other's existence, will continue with a happy ending (having reached the Golden Land, they will have a self-perpetuating world based on their own meta beliefs). But all of this will be a backdrop for the real life world and its painful reality, thus making the story bittersweet.

We can speculate endlessly on what EP8 will bring, but I believe it will be a satisfying conclusion, even if we have to face the possible realities of a dead family, some crazy Yasushkanontrice combo, or a thoughtless series of accidents leading to the tragedy. I personally take the opinion that there will be one last major cog in the mechanics of Umineko that we have collectively overlooked, and even if it doesn't bring a "lol-trolling time" atmosphere, it will still be a warmly received shock to the community.

EP8 will be great - we just don't know how so.
Arachanox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-06, 12:55   Link #17893
Used Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachanox View Post
I have for some time hoped that Umineko will end with another cascade of gigantic, flashy battles, akin to the EP4 and EP5 ???s. It just felt that another step into the awesome world of epic should have been taken, and the battles do that for me.
Please do not be mistaken, check my previous post to see what I meant with "grand finale". I didn't mean lack of epic moments and/or closure, but a lack of "perfect (i.e. ultra happy) ending". I guess the way I use "grand finale" is just a bit different.
Old 2010-10-06, 13:03   Link #17894
Arachanox
Trust the red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
Please do not be mistaken, check my previous post to see what I meant with "grand finale". I didn't mean lack of epic moments and/or closure, but a lack of "perfect (i.e. ultra happy) ending". I guess the way I use "grand finale" is just a bit different.
Ah I see, we use different definitions. Well that heartens me.

Here's to hopes of one last round of troll faces and gold truths!
Arachanox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-06, 15:08   Link #17895
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Spoiler for Interview translation:

Rather than a game board, we might be focusing significantly on 1998 and the backstories of Lambda, Bern, and Featherine. On the other hand, that "mystery-oriented truth" phrase is pretty suspicious...

Last edited by LyricalAura; 2010-10-06 at 15:39.
LyricalAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-06, 17:02   Link #17896
Smeckledorf
Intellectual Rapist

I just think that means we will be shown the truth of the tragedy in respect to a mystery. That wasn't what episode 7 showed us and though the original 4 episodes shown some of what Bernkastel showed us, Bernkastel ignored parts of those episodes that point to a single culprit with knowledge Rudolph, Kyrie, Rosa, Eva and their spouses could not have known.

Last edited by Smeckledorf; 2010-10-06 at 17:22.
Smeckledorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-06, 18:21   Link #17897
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Well, the ep7 Tea Party was a "mystery-oriented solution" inasmuch as it presented a solution like you might see in a mystery. He was careful not to say the solution. That could mean many things (the truth wasn't as shown, the whole truth wasn't as shown, the truth can't be shown with just a mystery-oriented solution, etc.).

Old 2010-10-06, 19:02   Link #17898
TehChron

I will be looking forward to Episode 8. Knowing Ryukishi, if he intends to make a statement with that chapter, it will be one worth remembering.

But the fact he goes out to say it's an epilogue definitely gives off a sense that it's going to shine a renewed light on the events of 1998. Which is an excellent way of wrapping up the story, I suppose.

He says Episode 6 ended the story of Beato and Battler? But what of the story of the people they're based upon? That will be worth seeing on it's own merits. Even if BATTLER was just a fictional construct within the story, him finding a happy ending is still a thing worth seeing.

So what if the shippers aren't truly satisfied? Beatrice never truly existed to begin with, she can only be seen with love, right? Maybe the person she was meant to represent really will be like that?

Maybe Yasu truly is Beato, rather than Shannon or Claire or Lion or whomever? Im sure we would all be satisfied with that, if that were how things went down.

Bah, reading that blog entry made me too introspective.
TehChron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-07, 01:06   Link #17899
Used Can

Quote:
Well, the ep7 Tea Party was a "mystery-oriented solution" inasmuch as it presented a solution like you might see in a mystery. He was careful not to say the solution. That could mean many things (the truth wasn't as shown, the whole truth wasn't as shown, the truth can't be shown with just a mystery-oriented solution, etc.).
That, or as I said before, we may be getting a "The Burning Court" type of ending. Personally, I think that would fit Umineko perfectly.
Old 2010-10-07, 08:15   Link #17900
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Well, a valid solution from day one has been "there's a witch, but she's not the killer." Look carefully at the objective Battler has from ep2 on: Show the crime is possible by human means.

That isn't disproving a witch. That's simply exonerating one.