AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Old 2013-08-15, 11:22   Link #2221
sona-nyl
Actually an Alligator

@Goldenlander
There is nothing whatsoever about a true ending in that blog post (or I'm very sure there isn't). The whole thing is basically a plot overview of Miotsukushi with a few final sentences that refers to it as the PS2 replacement for Matsuribayashi and it being a grand conclusion.
Old 2013-08-15, 16:26   Link #2222
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlander View Post
But, according to this Alchemist page, there are 3 original scenario with complete supervision by Ryukishi07. And it is just doesn't make sense if he didn't write it, but he declared it as canon.
Ryukishi himself never stated in an interview or anything that it was canon.
Furthermore, I hardly give credits to publisher and whatnot using such statement. Let's remember that we had Umineko and Higurashi live action "under the supervision of Ryukishi".
That is way too often as a simple token saying "we did ask the author his opinion, but we won't say if we followed his guidance completely".

The moment the mention doesn't state "written by X", you cannot say "but X made sure the adaptation was good!", and the aforementioned examples are obvious testimony of this.
Old 2013-08-15, 23:01   Link #2223
maximilianjenus
[E]

well, but one thing is the adaptation being good and another is being canon episode (insert your favorite episode of umineko or higurashi) is cannon and is horrible
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-16, 07:30   Link #2224
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Except, like I said, there is no evidence that these were canon at all.
There is a major difference between "supervised by" and "written by", which is why I took the 2 aforementioned as an example for that.
Old 2013-08-16, 08:50   Link #2225
maximilianjenus
[E]

yeah, but supervised can be enough for something to be cannon. written does not mean something is canon either.
Old 2013-08-16, 08:56   Link #2226
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

A story written by the author is automatically official and reliable as long the author himself does not contradict his established story. It doesn't make the story "canon", but it is obviously something that can be accepted without questioning its premise. If it is a side story, you can accept it as a whacky "as if" scenario that is still official and not a "fanfic" level because it was written by the author.

A story merely supervised without any canon statement doesn't mean jack shit. Even an adaptation of a canon material potentially have contradictions and erroneous elements, because the "supervision" element is arguably superficial.
In the case the Miotsukushi-hen, there was absolutely no evidence it is considered as canon, and some elements in there make little sense compared to Matsuribayashi. Furthermore, the very fact they had to backtrack and add Matsuribayashi in Kizuna series is a major giveaway that Miotsukushi-hen ending wasn't fine on its own.
Old 2013-08-16, 19:56   Link #2227
magnum12

While I agree that Miotsuki-hen's status as canon is questionable at best, Tsukiotoshi-hen's status as canon is actually quite plausible and supported by evidence in the original game. IIRC, sections at the end of Meakashi-hen (the bit where we find out about Satako not liking pumpkins) and in Minagoroshi-hen foreshadow what Shion's personality is like in kaekras where
Spoiler for spoilers for 7th novel:
, which indicates that kaekra shards like Tsukiotoshi-hen are quite plausible.

Of course we'll never know the full truth until we get more information from R7, so at best we can only gauge how plausible a kaekra's status as canon is. Still, there's a huge part of me that REALLY wants to know what happened in "Hinimizawa Prime".
Old 2013-08-19, 09:34   Link #2228
maximilianjenus
[E]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
A story written by the author is automatically official and reliable as long the author himself does not contradict his established story. It doesn't make the story "canon", but it is obviously something that can be accepted without questioning its premise. If it is a side story, you can accept it as a whacky "as if" scenario that is still official and not a "fanfic" level because it was written by the author.

A story merely supervised without any canon statement doesn't mean jack shit. Even an adaptation of a canon material potentially have contradictions and erroneous elements, because the "supervision" element is arguably superficial.
In the case the Miotsukushi-hen, there was absolutely no evidence it is considered as canon, and some elements in there make little sense compared to Matsuribayashi. Furthermore, the very fact they had to backtrack and add Matsuribayashi in Kizuna series is a major giveaway that Miotsukushi-hen ending wasn't fine on its own.
I don't agree with that, simplifying canon status by just using author as the criteria is over simplifying, a lot of author like doing doujins/not canon parts of their plot; a recent example is gen's madoka psp game, where some routes are cannon and others are not. another example is ryukishi where he admits fan works in the canon (some arcs of the kataribanashi) and others that he has written/supervised are not (daybreak, iirc).
Old 2013-08-19, 13:28   Link #2229
sona-nyl
Actually an Alligator

Yeah but Miotsukushi and Matsuribayashi are mutually exclusive, only one of them can actually be canon. I mean if we were to assume that both were canon Miotsukushi has to be the final ending since Hanyuu dies in it and therefore can't use her abilities on Rika any longer. This would mean that Rika has to die from some random freak accident sometime after Saikoroshi-hen (and also conveniently forget all her memories from matsuribayashi-Saikoroshi). Even if this were technically possible it is shit storytelling and doesn't make any kind of sense for the story.
Old 2013-08-20, 09:10   Link #2230
maximilianjenus
[E]

I don't think the kakera function in a strictly linear way. so that makes miotsukushi possible we have gotten some weird kakera in umineko

Spoiler for umineko manga:
Old 2013-09-30, 12:41   Link #2231
cereal_killerxx

Doing a Keiichi cosplay (the red vest version) but I'm having a bit of an issue. Some pics show him wearing blue converse-like shoes and others show him wearing red-converse like shoes. So which is it?
cereal_killerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-01, 09:26   Link #2232
Daisu
Strange New World
*Graphic Designer

He owns both red and blue shoes. He wears Blue in Rei and Red before that.
Old 2013-10-01, 11:49   Link #2233
cereal_killerxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisu View Post
He owns both red and blue shoes. He wears Blue in Rei and Red before that.
Decisions, decisions. Hmmm. Which one do you think I should do?
cereal_killerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-01, 15:39   Link #2234
magnum12

Red, because "red ones go fasta".

Just messing with you.
Old 2013-10-01, 16:53   Link #2235
Daisu
Strange New World
*Graphic Designer

best to see what they got when arrive at the store. Guys are lucky, they do not have to concentrate too much on finding the right shoe, because guys shoes are pretty simple and bland
Old 2013-10-02, 14:22   Link #2236
Draugur

In the Tsumihoroboshi-hen Sound Novel
Spoiler for minagoroshi-hen:
Draugur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-02, 18:20   Link #2237
Seronei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draugur View Post
In the Tsumihoroboshi-hen Sound Novel
Spoiler for minagoroshi-hen:
Tried explaining it. I feel like my sentences are kind of messy but I hope you see my point.
Spoiler:
Seronei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-03, 02:23   Link #2238
Draugur

Thanks, this seems to be the best explanation.
Old 2013-12-06, 21:50   Link #2239
Draugur

About Matsuribayashi-hen:
Spoiler for Matsuribayashi-hen:
Old 2013-12-08, 20:25   Link #2240
Kantoku
見ぬが花

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draugur View Post
About Matsuribayashi-hen: