AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Another

Notices

Old 2012-01-31, 11:35   Link #941
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Shouldn't Misaki be in the back right corner?
The one-who-must-not-be-named is at the back right corner. The teacher's desk is at the top edge of the chart.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 11:35   Link #942
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post
I think the elevator idea would have been nice, if they did it diffently. The problem with the falling elevator is, that there are safety breaks, that work flawlesly and need no maintainance as somebody here in the forum suggested.
Depends on how old the hospital is for it to have safety measures like that. Im positive some of the older buildings at my college didnt have that Plus it was more dramatic that way and it's a fear of a lot of people, free-falling in an elavator.

Quote:
As for the shop owner... this was actually on of the scenes that really made a shiver run down my spine. There is something really creepy about hearing the same conversation word for word in the same intonation for a second time. I say she is a doll, she looks way too creepy to be real.
She freaks me out more then any doll in that store. The fact that her dialog was the EXACT SAME was soooooo creepy.

Quote:
Also, when Kouichi stood next to the Misaki doll.... I was thinking that if I were him, I would look at the dolls eye, that is covered by her hair. This could be interesting..... but the real Misaki interrupted Kouichi before anything could happen.
Mei did say her eye was a dolls eye and since theyre both the same color I have a feeling if he'd have moved the hair, the dolls eye would be gone.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyredleaf
The one that should not be named is at the back right corner.
hahahahaaaaa I love that!
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 11:39   Link #943
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaturas View Post
And we don't know if dying is connected to people aknowleding Misaki existence or some other factor, maybe another death will sheed more light on it. As It is now nurse said that Mei exists and she hit the bucket, but meganekko didn't say anything.
Actually, she already did acknowledge her existance when she ran away.

Then there is also the thing where you turn it around. It was kouichi who confirmed her existence to these people.

Until such time that new information presents itself that overturns my theory, I will remain convinced that Mei is a living human being. I won't say "normal" human being, but at least "living", and "human being". The chances of all my theories being correct are of course not that high, but I'll wait for the new information before doubting them.

Also the reason why she got a test is because the teachers are probably less involved than the students are. Also, she's in that class, whether people acknowledge it or not.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 12:03   Link #944
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual

I don't really know if I'd say she "exists", this is a girl that's pulled an effing Batman, literally disappearing into thin air at least 3 times, a normal person doesn't do that at the end of a conversation.
ttdestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 12:28   Link #945
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Ep 3:
Spoiler:
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 13:07   Link #946
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
Depends on how old the hospital is for it to have safety measures like that. Im positive some of the older buildings at my college didnt have that Plus it was more dramatic that way and it's a fear of a lot of people, free-falling in an elavator.
Elevator safety brakes were invented over 150 years ago. If they didn't work you'd hear a lot more stories about people getting killed by falling elevators (and hell, most people probably wouldn't ride them). The elevator falling like that was a silly plot point, but as you said it's just something that's more dramatic and taps into a fear that most have experienced.
TurkeyPotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 13:08   Link #947
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyPotPie View Post
Elevator safety brakes were invented over 150 years ago. If they didn't work you'd hear a lot more stories about people getting killed by falling elevators (and hell, most people probably wouldn't ride them). The elevator falling like that was a silly plot point, but as you said it's just something that's more dramatic and taps into a fear that most have experienced.
Errr... no, indeed the elevator did have a safety system yet still it failed.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 13:13   Link #948
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Well it could be lampshaded as another indicator of strange things going on. We might see someone next episode asking why the safety brakes didn't save her.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 13:21   Link #949
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo View Post
Oh no! Not the 'Cherry Pie to the Face' routine!

Sanae was definitely thinking of cherry pie during the ep, but that's not what she had in mind.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 13:27   Link #950
warita
Dai-Youkai

Quote:
Plus it was more dramatic that way and it's a fear of a lot of people, free-falling in an elavator.
Now that you say it, you are right!!! It has more impact.

Quote:
Mei did say her eye was a dolls eye and since theyre both the same color I have a feeling if he'd have moved the hair, the dolls eye would be gone.
Yes, I believe so too. That would make her conncted to the doll in a way, brrrrrr. I mean, if you think about it, these life real dolls look like dead people..... so the eye connects Misaki to something dead, nice one, isnt it?

Quote:
The one-who-must-not-be-named is at the back right corner. The teacher's desk is at the top edge of the chart.
ROOOOOOOOFL!!!! Thats a good one.
warita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 13:44   Link #951
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Quote:
There is no perfect system in the world and elevators do fall when the safety devices fail to work. It doesn't matter whether the safety devices were invented 150 years ago, 1000 years ago, or 1 year ago, but more about adequate maintenance. You may find the whole idea silly, but no more silly than how there are countless far more ridiculous ways to die (which I don't wish to elaborate). When statistics work against you it is not funny.

Here is a technical report on a free-fall incident in 2008 in Hong Kong. Skip to page 6 to see under what circumstances the supposedly 100% fail-free modern safety features failed. It is not as serious as what is portrayed in the anime, but at least it shows that what happened to the lift in the anime is more than simply a scary tale or a urban myth. There was also a similar incident in Taiwan a few years ago with injuries, but I can't find English reports at the moment.

http://www.emsd.gov.hk/emsd/e_downlo...ort_Rev_E8.pdf

Last edited by Doraneko; 2012-01-31 at 14:01. Reason: Fixed the link
Doraneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 14:15   Link #952
Ray
Garnet

Hm, I find myself in concurrence with the idea that Rei (the bird) serves as a conscience for Reiko.

After seeing the screenshots totoum posted last night, I decided to re-watch the first episode to see the prologue again. The one thing that caught me attention was that this person looks very similar to Kouichi; they both have a similar enough hairstyle (the rain may have altered it a bit), the same hair length, and the same neck and face. However, the expression of the person in that screenshot is quite malicious. So let's say that it is Kouichi; now, the question is if this has yet to occur, or if it already has occurred. It could be either or because we're rapidly shown numerous images in the prologue one after another. One such is the girl opening her red eyes (either Mei or Misaki), which is more than likely from the past. There're also images that foreshadow certain events such as the image of the elevator, and the image of the umbrella. I think it’s the latter because it would explain why Izumi, the class rep, and the other dude were asking Kouichi whether or not he had been in this town before. The interesting thing is that he said he has been here before, just not for long. What's even weirder is that he doesn't remember this experience at all. Many others have already pointed out that he seems quite suspicious.

I'm pretty sure this knife is the same as the one this indistinguishable figure is wielding here.

Edit: Yay for Another getting it's own sub forum!

Last edited by Ray; 2012-02-06 at 17:09.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 15:02   Link #953
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko View Post
There is no perfect system in the world and elevators do fall when the safety devices fail to work. It doesn't matter whether the safety devices were invented 150 years ago, 1000 years ago, or 1 year ago, but more about adequate maintenance. You may find the whole idea silly, but no more silly than how there are countless far more ridiculous ways to die (which I don't wish to elaborate). When statistics work against you it is not funny.

Here is a technical report on a free-fall incident in 2008 in Hong Kong. Skip to page 6 to see under what circumstances the supposedly 100% fail-free modern safety features failed. It is not as serious as what is portrayed in the anime, but at least it shows that what happened to the lift in the anime is more than simply a scary tale or a urban myth. There was also a similar incident in Taiwan a few years ago with injuries, but I can't find English reports at the moment.

http://www.emsd.gov.hk/emsd/e_downlo...ort_Rev_E8.pdf
If you read the entire report, the safety brake slowed the falling car (didn't stop it) and the elevator was stopped by by one of the cables that did not break. There's also a hydraulic pit at the bottom of the shaft that is a "last chance" device to cushion the car if all else fails. You could argue that the cable that held only did so because it slipped off the pulley, but that's why these systems have redundant safety mechanisms.

I never said an elevator couldn't fail, but that it would free fall like that and slam into the ground was implausible. The way the nurse's death was portrayed was just silly, much like class rep impaling herself on the umbrella, but I'm not a fan of Final Destination-style deaths. If the rest of the deaths are going to be spectacular like this, then so be it.
TurkeyPotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 15:40   Link #954
lightbringer
M9000

Far sillier things have happened in anime than the two deaths portrayed in the last two episodes. I think we're still safe here. And an elevator failsafe is neither 100% foolproof nor can it possibly be immune to all forms of sabotage. Plus, that elevator looked like it would fall apart if you sneezed the wrong way.

What I want to know is how the girl in episode 3 really died. It looked like an accident but if that was really the case then I'll eat my hat. Someone's going around killing people, using Misaki Mei as an excuse most likely. They said something about a similar situation happening a few years ago... if people died two years ago also, then my money's on one of the teachers being the killer. Or the gardener... the gardener's always the murderer!
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 15:48   Link #955
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
I find it hilarious that people are talking about safety mechanisms in something like this. It's just like Final Destination, when it was time for that elevator to fall, there was nothing that could stop it except the bottom of the shaft.
Exactly. I mean, if you can believe that a curse caused a cable to break so the elevator would fall, why is it hard to believe that the same curse caused the various safety devices to fail? The only way it even makes sense to talk about the safety devices is if people want to argue that the deaths are truly accidental and have nothing to do with a curse. Which I don't see anyone doing, even those of us who think Mei is a real girl and not a spirit/ghost/whatever.
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 16:07   Link #956
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Hmm ... I wondered if Another would eventually get a subforum of it's own.
Old 2012-01-31, 16:09   Link #957
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
Exactly. I mean, if you can believe that a curse caused a cable to break so the elevator would fall, why is it hard to believe that the same curse caused the various safety devices to fail? The only way it even makes sense to talk about the safety devices is if people want to argue that the deaths are truly accidental and have nothing to do with a curse. Which I don't see anyone doing, even those of us who think Mei is a real girl and not a spirit/ghost/whatever.
What's the significance of the glass falling. Was that the curse failing? Or was that really just coincidence.
Old 2012-01-31, 16:15   Link #958
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Quote:
If you read the entire report, the safety brake slowed the falling car (didn't stop it) and the elevator was stopped by by one of the cables that did not break. There's also a hydraulic pit at the bottom of the shaft that is a "last chance" device to cushion the car if all else fails. You could argue that the cable that held only did so because it slipped off the pulley, but that's why these systems have redundant safety mechanisms.
Yeah of course I did read it, or else how would I know which page the details are on...

I am no expert on this issue, but according to the report the only unbroken cable was not broken not because it worked, but because it was loose. The remaining seven cables functioned, but they alone were too weak to stop the car and end up being torn apart (para 12.5). Other safety devices like the safety gears also failed to pull the car to a complete stop. The only saving grace was the pit which the car crashed directly into. So much for supposedly perfect redundancy.

You may be personally satisfied with the safety mechanisms, but that alone doesn't prove anything. The fact that there are in fact injuries from similar accidents doesn't help.

Anyhow my only point is that ridiculous accidents do happen, not because of technology backwardness or whatever, but just because you have run out of luck and statistics go against you. As many others have pointed out, dying from a falling elevator is certainly not the worst or the most improbable way to die in a horror fiction.
Old 2012-01-31, 16:21   Link #959
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
What's the significance of the glass falling. Was that the curse failing? Or was that really just coincidence.
Three Possibilities:

1. The falling glass was meant to take out Kouichi, but since he has seen The Omen, he was able to escape death by large glass shard to the heart.
2. The glass was meant to take out the actress girl, but since Kouichi was there, and is a genre-savvy protagonist, she got saved from a grisly fate.
3. It was just a windy day, and the driver of the plate glass truck didn't properly secure the glass so it was merely a coincidence and not part of the "Class 3" curse.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 16:27   Link #960
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Just throwing this out there but this is in the OP not sure if that's what we saw in this episode or will it come up later?

Tags
horror, seinen