AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 75 35.71%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 56 26.67%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 26 12.38%
7 out of 10 : Good 30 14.29%
6 out of 10 : Average 15 7.14%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 1.43%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 1.43%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.48%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.48%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-05-31, 04:32   Link #121
Moogster

lad to see this show pulls the viewers into, " you need to watch this to understand" kind of thinking.. i hate it when people go, wtf i don't understand bbq!
Old 2006-05-31, 04:34   Link #122
rain...

Actually, the 3 minutes with Yuki seemed quite short to me, with the radio talk and all. As someone said, it's a contrast and more laid down scene, which was well done imho. Yuki reading with the radio blaring loudly in the corner. I enjoyed listening to the hosts talking, so many references in it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
The attention to detail was glorious and the climax for me was that expression on Suzumiya's face when she handed Kyon that umbrella.
Agreed. A major point in the series has always been detail, and Kyo Ani is doing a good job at that. I appreciate that scene very much, implies really much there'll be a second season!

And also, shooting an extra for the dvd?! As expected of Haruhi!
Old 2006-05-31, 04:42   Link #123
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

I think this was a very fitting ending to Suzumiya Haruhi... even if it was open. It's subtle, but it highlights perfectly just what sort of change Kyon has triggered in her. I like it... no need for clumsy romantic inanity that's cliched to romance anime. Just a very simple gesture which does a fantastic job of highlighting everything.

But, that's what's made this series so special. Nothing in it has been conventional. I inevitably expected that, sometime during this series a romance between Kyon and Haruhi would be explored, but instead we've been presented with an unexpected subtlety instead, and it's something that I think has worked perfectly.

I thought the animation was a step down from the rest of the series. But, the atmosphere was perfect. This episode so beautifully captured the essense of slice-of-life storytelling.

Personally I think this was a breath-taking episode, with the unconventionalism that's put Haruhi on the map, and a show of subtlety I wouldn't have expected from this series. It's surprised me... and in a way that's very different from how the rest of the series has surprised me.
Old 2006-05-31, 05:53   Link #124
rogueblade

I thought it was more of an overview of all the events that had happened in the series, rather than a proper ending. I don't think it can stand alone as a proper "ending" as such - seeing as there was bugger all closure - the revelation (well, not really, seeing as we found it out in the last episode), that Haruhi has feelings for Kyon, the hint that Yuki also does, and that Mikuru-chan...um...yeah. We always knew she liked Kyon, so there was nil closure for her at all.
I am really miffed about this episode - i appreciate that Kyotoani tried to give us a slice of life of normality, to juxtapose next to the series' wonderfully wacky events, but come on, couldn't they do that as a filler episode in the middle of the series?
I'm going to give it a 7, because although i am dissapointed with it, it's still pretty funny in placesand the end scenes did make up for some of the more ..... pedestrian bits.
This needs a second series though. They can't leave it at this, they need to give some closure!
Old 2006-05-31, 05:54   Link #125
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

After having read what has been posted here, I didn't even notice that Yuki hasn't spoken at all until it has been mentioned here.

Another Kudos to KyoAni, for bringing a character to life JUST by animating it. I mean, I didn't even wonder why Yuki wasn't speaking, and there were a couple of times when she was asked a question and I took her silent answer like it was something normal coming from her. Everything flowed so well that I didn't get a clue at all that something was 'wrong', but then again I might just be dense. ^^;

Still doesn't make me enjoy the 3 minute radio talk any more though. XD

EDIT:
Quote:
I am really miffed about this episode - i appreciate that Kyotoani tried to give us a slice of life of normality, to juxtapose next to the series' wonderfully wacky events, but come on, couldn't they do that as a filler episode in the middle of the series?
I think that's one of the reasons why KyoAni did the episode shuffle; Haruhi chronological order aside, this IS a filler episode in the middle of the series. If they were to show the series in Haruhi order, I'd be making the same statements as you are. Thankfully though, they did the 'break' very close to mid way point by doing the shuffle, and I am not unhappy one bit (well except for the 3 minute radio talk, but that's a horse I've beaten to death already).

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2006-05-31, 07:52   Link #126
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
just finnished rewatching with subs and have a better understanding of this eps...it was great but somewat disappointing...i gave it a 9 overall
for an ending it was rather plain...but it did provide us with a glimpse of suzumiya's human side but the good thing about having such and ending is that it is almost certain that a second season will come out seen as everything is kinda left on a cliff hanger...but maybe ill fully appreciate the ending more when i see the past events that happened before the ending...

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2006-05-31, 08:01   Link #127
Alu
Guide my hand...

Well after seeing it I mostely agree with what has been said already.

It was a very peacefull, calm, even melancholic episode; but it realy fitted the anime and all it realy is about as a good ending.

Much like episode 00, or 01 if you wish (the adventures of Asahina Mikuru), it realy gaved us mostely a good in-sight of an every-day day or event that can happen in our current lives; in most of the Kyon scenes you can see this realy good.

It was a good conclusion in the end, it also gaved us reference to the past events that toke place, and realy how things have changed for Kyon during the course of this last half-year.

And specialy at the end.., a very nice touch as in how every girl gaved Kyon something.., specialy Haruhi which waited for him to wake up and walk him home "due to the rain", or so she says

Some funny scenes where nice to watch aswell, the Yuki parts as in when she always goes for the book when Haruhi is changing Mikuru, the radio (altough I only understod the last parts ^^), and to know how Haruhi tricked the vendor for the Heater

I belive the episode acomplished very well what it was intended for, hence it deserves a good note.

I doubt however though.., that the series will end here; it was indeed a Good ending for the anime, but still.. I see it as much as the ending for a Season 1.
So.., season 2.., it seems quite a big possibilty

Now next week.. Asakura Ryoko arc, Finaly !!
Old 2006-05-31, 08:43   Link #128
Bloodseeker

Kyon FTW.

Spoiler:

Its been a while since I've seen an anime that had an entire main cast that's made of nothing but pure consentrated win. None of the characters irritate me, which is really rare for a comedy anime.
Old 2006-05-31, 09:13   Link #129
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

I'd agree with that sentiment. Every character has his or her own charm that I can't get enough of (even side and bit part characters).

Oh,and I'd have to say Tsuruyu ftw, I totally love genki girls like her, she needs more screentime
Old 2006-05-31, 09:26   Link #130
ECFNW

Hate to say it but I give it a 7, the lowest I've ever given any Haruhi episode.
I sort of expected more and I seriously almost dozed off during those 3 mintues of Yuki and background noise. Seriously hoping for a 2nd season.
Old 2006-05-31, 09:57   Link #131
tritoch

Anybody noticed the arrangement of the scenes here? Like how Kyon x Mikuru, and how Kyon x Haruhi is last. I think it would play out in the last 3(?) episodes.

This series will end in a bang and its gonna be with a loud bang.
Old 2006-05-31, 10:07   Link #132
Bloodseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiosity
I'd agree with that sentiment. Every character has his or her own charm that I can't get enough of (even side and bit part characters).

Oh,and I'd have to say Tsuruyu ftw, I totally love genki girls like her, she needs more screentime
That's Mikuru's friend, right? I like the main cast more, but Tsuruyu is pretty likable too. I wouldn't mind seeing her around more often. Now that I think about it, I can't even come up with a clear favorites list here like I can with most anime series. Usually I can just sit there and list off Sousuke > Tessa > Mao > Gauron > Mizuki > Chidori > the rest or even something as vague as Nana > Bandou > the rest, but in this case, I like each of the main five about equally. Mikuru has her cuteness, Haruhi has her craziness, Kyon has his common sense and "why me" attitude to play off of Haruhi's ridiculous plans and unreasonable demands, Yuki has her enigma mixed with a kind of cuteness, and Koizumi has his wits and friendly demeanor. I can't choose one character over any of the others.

Last edited by Bloodseeker; 2006-05-31 at 10:19.
Old 2006-05-31, 10:41   Link #133
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

I give it a 9. The Yuki 3-minute scene wasn't as bad as some people put it, but it could be better done still.

Yuki reads quite fast, no? Our favourite living humanoid interface endlessly absorbs human knowledge at an incredible pace, while perhaps, inadvertedly becoming more and more human (like giving Kyon her cardigan), which would eventually lead to volume 4......(stay tuned when it gets translated)

Haruhi's "tsundere"-ness is done very well, and who better to write the scene between her and Kyon with perfect subtlety than the creator Tanigawa himself? Haruhi's fondness for Kyon is shown without ever going over the top like those harem series.

Koizumi is ever the "yes-man" while poor Mikuru-chan continues to be Haruhi's plaything. If Kyo-Ani intends to release a photo album of Mikuru in all sorts of costume for the DVDs, I'm getting them.

I can see Kyo-Ani maximizing profits by releasing two versions of the DVDs, one in Kyon's broadcast order, and one in Haruhi's chronological order, knowing the faithful Haruhi-ists will buy both versions anyway.

I'm definitely sure there will be a second series. But this series will surly end at 14 episodes, I don't think Kyo-Ani will have enough time to prepare for their other anticipated masterpiece, Kanon 2006, due this autumn, if the first series of Suzumiya Haruhi is to have 26 episodes.
Old 2006-05-31, 10:42   Link #134
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Well, it was fun. I'd have given it a 9, since I could live with a minute of Yuki reading, but 3 were a bit long, but it does remind me of some high quality films I've watched, so I thought it was ok. And gave it a 10

Seriously though, no matter what Haruhi does, this show was all about KyonxMikuru I mean, Haruhi explicitly said that she purposefully sent Kyon away so no one would object to her Mikuru-abuse (again ). The scarf scene was sweet Haruhi getting mad over that -> priceless. Kyon's comments regarding Mikuru were nice throughtout the episode, from the "for Asahina and me, it's anything but [good news]" to "I should have faked it". Overall, I'm very pleased with the KyonxMikuru focus

Yuki's book swapping was fun, I liked the way she stood up, checked the books, pulled one, read, returned it, checked, picked another one, while blocking the viewer's glipse of Heaven Somehow it felt natural.

Tsk tsk Haruhi drooling over Kyon So satisfying to see the almighty Haruhi embarassed. I so hope for a second season. But since Haruhi said they will make a second movie, a second season might just be true
Old 2006-05-31, 11:02   Link #135
Akuryou
*cackle* *cackle*

Send a message via MSN to Akuryou
Maybe it was just me and a very few who think like that, but this episode didn't have what made the others so great. It felt way too... boring. And that part with Yuki reading and Tsuruya's voice thingy in the background took too many screentime, for such an (at least in this point) useless thing.

Episode 9 had it's moments, specially Kyon's. I can say I also laughed about Mikuru's photoshow. But, as much as I hate to admit, it was very bad compared to the previous episodes. Animation-wise, it was perfect, like all others. But I'm talking about the magic of Haruhi Suzumiya, and this one missed part of it.

6/10
Old 2006-05-31, 11:58   Link #136
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Oh yeah... Tsuruya's voice is enchantingly cute --- I hadn't realized that her VA was actually incorporating her snaggle tooth into her speech and omgodz her hair.... I hope she appears in much more of the remaining episodes.

Also interesting was watching the interplay between Haruhi, Mikuru, and Koizumi --- while seeming to be completely fine with anything Haruhi came up with, he was also mitigating with his serene buddha voice. You could hear her ramp up and then calm down after he spoke. He had the "I shall excuse myself for Mikuru's dignity" down to the microsecond. And you could hear that Mikuru and Haruhi were achieving a sort of stability in the dressing game, almost more like a mommy cat letting the wayward kitten gnaw the hell out of her ear.

Again.. a very european feel to the episode (naturally paced rather than "omigodz quick next event lest our attention-deficit viewers freak out!!!")
Old 2006-05-31, 12:20   Link #137
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Oh yeah... Tsuruya's voice is enchantingly cute --- I hadn't realized that her VA was actually incorporating her snaggle tooth into her speech and omgodz her hair.... I hope she appears in much more of the remaining episodes.
Just a little trivia, Tsuruya-san's seiyuu, Matsuoka Yuki also did the voice of Orihime in Bleach, that explains her cute, genki voice.
Old 2006-05-31, 14:31   Link #138
Liquidzero

wondering how to delete =P

Last edited by Liquidzero; 2006-05-31 at 14:49. Reason: delete post
Old 2006-05-31, 14:41   Link #139
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Entirely possible. It makes this alot more fun doesn't it as we have 1/3 chance of getting it right (I like that odd far better than I do of solving Higurashi )

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2006-05-31, 15:29   Link #140
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
Couldn't agree more. It's not just the voice though, it's the incredibly infectious laugh as well, I can't help but smile every time she starts laughing Oh and yeah, her hair is the best, but then I've got a big thing for uber-long hair like that.
Closed Thread