Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-08-26, 18:36   Link #1
bruno321
Whirling Knife

Send a message via MSN to bruno321
Original anime, different, daring

Hey.

I was chatting with a friend and we came to realize that while there is a lot more of anime today, there seems to be no real substance to be found. And I'm not just talking about "intellectual" stuff.

First example, the example that started everything: Neon Genesis Evangelion. An opera magna, an oeuvre that helped Hideaki Anno get out of his depression. An anime full of subtleties, layers, which originated pages and pages of theories about... everything. An engaging view.

Great Teacher Onizuka is the example of a not-deep (well... not primarily) anime which I consider great, interesting, different, truly enjoyable. It's a matter of dynamics. The interaction between the characters (what an excellent character, Onizuka) was perfect and different from every other high school anime, thus setting it apart from the "high school anime" category.

Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo. Style. Oh, the style, the awesomeness. Do I really need to explain? Two other series with an unique pace and style. Unforgettable.

FLCL is a series I never really got into, but my friend which shares similar views on anime did, and therefore I'll include it here. I am aware there is, too, tons of things to read and analyze, metaphors of Japan's society masked behind a rollercoaster of wildness.

Paranoia Agent is close to that, too. I didn't enjoy that much the series "per se", but wow, what a POWERFUL critique. The ending made me shake and wonder. Once again, I found tons of material to read, which I did, and I was amazed. I got to know what "superflat" art is, and an absolutely intellectually delightful theory written by Takashi Murakami I believe was his name, about how Little Boy influenced Japanese society. Awesome.

Welcome to the NHK! too. Because of everything. I don't feel like explaining myself on this one :P

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu. My only 10. The series which gives me hope. Deligthful. And underrated --yes, underrated. On the sense that it is, by some people, wrongly valued. "oh kawaii eheh i laughed a lot i liked the schol girls".

I'm aware of Monster and Mushishi. I will get around to see them, some day. I just need the mood.

Oh, and the films.

Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo. So simply wonderful, tranquil, soothing.

Mind Game. I still don't get it why it hasn't received more praise. Well, I think I do get, it actually. It's a sad reason.

I'll include Paprika on this list, by the same reason I included FLCL.

I hope I transmitted the idea. There's too much "genre" anime. Too much standard anime, that even while it may be good on its field, it's just a "eh, it was enjoyable", therefore a forgettable experience.

Anyway, recommend. Shoot. Anything, old, new, romance, drama, action, slice of life, whatever.
Old 2007-08-26, 19:19   Link #2
jedinat

Haibane Renmei - a very beautiful and powerful anime

Serial Experiments Lain - grips you and doesn't let go, despite the incredibly slow pace and minimal dialogue

Hachimitsu to Clover - a series with refreshingly honest characters. their situations and problems are very real without being overly dramatic (didn't like the sequel so much)

Koi Kaze - has perhaps the most realistically portrayed protagonist of any anime I've seen; the romance is awkward and sad, yet somehow sweet
Old 2007-08-26, 19:22   Link #3
devildog23
Summerlurking

Hmmm...well off the top of my head...

Deathnote - I can't really think of words to describe it, but its kind of like a "chess match" between Light and L. You've probably heard of this one, if not already seen it.
School Rumble - Heh, one of my faves. Its a high school romance comedy, but its unique in its own way.
Voices of a Distant Star - Unique twist on a love story. Just watch it. Just one OVA, but it won't disappoint I think.

Some other ones to try

Beck
Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni
Elfen Lied

Edit - Here are some other ones since none appealed, although I don't know exactly what your looking for other then original/different

Ballad of a Shinigami
Soul Link - Outer space with action, gun fights, drama, and romance.
Tokyo Majin - horror/supernatural
Ergo Proxy - I hear its really different and unique, but I have yet to watch it.

Well tell me what you think, I'm done suggesting cause I got a game to watch.

Last edited by devildog23; 2007-08-26 at 19:54.
Old 2007-08-26, 19:33   Link #4
bruno321
Whirling Knife

Haibane/Lain: haven't seen them, but I have them and I know I'll watch them eventually. It's more on the slow, intellectual, philosophical side, which I'm not really into at the moment, but I will eventually.

Honey and Clover: man, I've had this recommended to me several times on several different posts. Guess I oughta see it then I don't know why but there was something about it that drew me back. Anyway, will take into account.

Koi Kaze: Hmmm, I think it was you who recommended me Honey and this series. It is, attractive, but I'm not on the romantic mood right now. I'm too much of a moody person, I know.

School Rumble: Watched it, loved it. Wouldn't call it original or daring, but really great and at some aspects different. Excellent characters.

Hoshi no Koe: Didn't kill me. I liked Kanojo to Kanojo no Neko, which I forgot to mention, much better.

The other ones you mentioned don't really appeal to me. Well, Elfen Lied I have watched, and while it marked me when I saw it back then, I think that if I saw it back again it wouldn't be an impact.
Old 2007-08-26, 19:49   Link #5
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Ideon is suppose to be original and it is suppose to be the anime that inspired Evangelion. Right now I am watching the beginning episodes it is nteresting but it is kinda becoming repetitive.
And maybe Yakitate Japan! it's a anime about making bread so I guess it could be original.
I also thought that Gunbuster was pretty original, because of the story and the ending. This was also one of Anno's first anime.
edit: I also forgot to mention that Gunbuster was the first anime to have a bounce.

Last edited by Terrestrial Dream; 2007-08-26 at 20:02.
Old 2007-08-26, 20:07   Link #6
bruno321
Whirling Knife

Ideon seems a little bizarre so even if it does not seem to be what I was originally looking for, I might eventually give it a try And it's always nice to see a different name mentioned, I'd like to be surprised, to find an anime I had never heard about which blows my hat off. Yeah, that's a little difficult maybe, but eh.
Old 2007-08-26, 20:12   Link #7
Asai
Nya? ^_^
*Fansubber

Of current stuff, I'd rate Dennou Coil right up there. When it started it gave me distinct Mushishi vibes, and has continued to impress (in other ways.)

Also, Mononoke is definitely out there and different. Very trippy art style. Looks like they watched too much Yellow Submarine. But it's very well written, excellent all round series.

Oh, since you mentioned slice of life, I'll always recommend Lamune. Very different to the average harem/romance stuff. Best slice of life in a long, long time.
Old 2007-08-26, 20:39   Link #8
bruno321
Whirling Knife

Yeah, I'm aware of Dennou Coil, and I'm "collecting" it. It's a series I feel I wouldn't want to watch weekly, so I collect the episodes and then I'll watch it completely after it ends. I'm doing the same with Seirei no Moribito, Tengen Toppa and Darker Than Black (the one that attracts me the least, but I'll give it a try anyway)

I have seen Lamune. It was enjoyable, yes, but if we go slice of life then nothing tops Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou. Kamichu! though is also a sure bet, but then we'd be talking on this thread of any outstanding anime. Mmm, wasn't that what I wanted on the first place? What a mess

Mononoke seems weird enough. I haven't watched what seems to be its "mother" series: do I need to? How are they related? "Horror, supernatural" aren't usually things that attract me, but it seems a little bit wtf, has trippy art style, and lasts only 12 episodes? Heck, I'll give it a try for sure. It isn't something that at first view gives me the vibes of a potentially outstanding anime, but I'm all out for trying new stuff. Thanks :3
Old 2007-08-26, 20:43   Link #9
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Since Asai already mentioned two of my recommendations (Dennou and Mononoke), I'll toss out a couple of others. One is Bartender, a slice-of-life show that covers issues about adult lives and loves not normally discussed in anime. Another is Noein, a science-fiction show with some quite extraordinary animation in a number of the episodes and a lovely young heroine. Finally I'll toss out Oh! Edo Rocket, an anachronistic view of Edo-period Japan with aliens and TVs that's nevertheless held my attention through ten episodes already. While I wouldn't put it on the same level as the others I've mentioned here, it's still pretty unusual and well-animated.
Old 2007-08-26, 20:49   Link #10
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
If I'm right, then you're looking for anime that is considered novel and not cliche. Something that is hard to put under a specific gender after you watch it and there's really no comparison to another anime; it's just special in itself. If I indeed got that right, then there's only a few anime that made me feel this way:

1) Haibane Renmei: Yes I know you have it but I have to repeat it again. This is possibly the most unique anime I have ever seen and very philosophical. You will have to interpret the ending for yourself, it's not a spoiler, just a heads up. It's probably my favorite anime in this un-categoric category.

2) Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu: You've already watched this anime, but I'm just putting it up here for completion. It's truly epic.

3) SaiKano: This anime is as realistic as it can be, and it has enough science fiction to take you out of reality. The portrayal of war in this anime is truly astounding, and it remains to be the only mecha anime that I truly like.

4) Gravitation, Koi Kaze, and Cardcaptor Sakura: Controversial anime will deserve a spot here.

5) Kimi ga Nozomu Eien: People compare School Days to this anime for some weird reason. School Days have a similar character development as KgNE, but the plot by far I think is original. The drama is gut-wrenching and it is emotional until the very end.

6) Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni: This anime will explain itself. From its unique plot order and characters, it feels as if you are the investigator, trying to put together pieces of information given to you to identify the plot--not the other way around like most anime are.

7) FLCL: There are some unique aspects for this anime, but it's really not epic. The plot is simple but the way that it is presented is really why it is so popular, and of course it was a very good presentation. Similar to Higurashi, you have to find the plot using the information given to you, not knowing the plot the first episode and expand upon it.

---

Apart from those, there are some anime that might used cliche genres but exceeds expectations from that genre. An example is Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal, which explores a very realistic (I never said accurate) historical plot, which then leads to a beautiful fictional romance. Others are The Place Promised in Our Early Days and Cowboy Bebop. They are simply romance and science fiction/action, respectively, but they encompasses all genres really and are masterpieces in my eyes. Also, Death Note could probably belong in this category also.

I hope that helps.
Old 2007-08-26, 21:11   Link #11
bruno321
Whirling Knife

About Lain and Haibane, it's just that I've read so different opinions (some say it is epic and some say it is way over the top and boring) that I'm kind of afraid of what I will see. And I'm not always in the mood of something like that; I know it'll be difficult to get into. I like challenges, but when I'm mentally ready.

I've heard great and awful things about Saikano too. I'll watch it eventually and tell myself.

Samurai X is another one of those on the "to-watch" list, as is Noein. Bartender seems quite unique, but I'll leave that for later. I associate it with Hataraki Man which was nice and original, but not too engrossing.

Beyond the Clouds was quite beautiful: I don't know why but I didn't enjoy it all that much, even if coldly analyzed I should have loved it. I will watch it again sometime.

KgNE: also, on my to-watch list, but I'm reluctant to manly tears melodrama. It can be great (Kanon) or a mess. Also, School Days pretty much sucks, although some wtf? things have kept me wanting for more.

Gravitation and CCS: Yeah, controversial, but not currently interesting, at least not for me.

Answer to Devildog's edit: I watched Ergo Proxy, sadly, I did. It's a fine example of HOW TO GO AWFULLY WRONG with a series. Out of 23 episodes, only 7-8 or so were worthy. A couple were actually really, really nice and memorable, but the series on the whole sucks. It is awfully pretentious. It pretends to be deep, complex, philosophical, by using superfluous means: some Greek statues named after XX century philosophers, huge ellipsis of time and post-apocalyptic setting which is a lame mix of Blade Runner and 1984 does not equal deep. Full of plot holes and with a horrid, eye-tearing animation on the second half. I could go on. I won't. Ergo Proxy sucks.

Last edited by bruno321; 2007-08-26 at 21:24.
Old 2007-08-26, 21:39   Link #12
jedinat

About Haibane/Lain... while your hesitation is perfectly understandable in the case of Lain (I myself waited a long time before seeing it), there's really no reason to hesitate with Haibane. I mean, the worst thing that could happen is you find it a little boring, which should only be a problem if you have no attention span or need some sort of action (which I don't think applies to you).
Old 2007-08-26, 22:15   Link #13
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Yes, Lain can be hit or miss but Haibane Renmei is a must for anyone who wants to see something "original, different, daring".

Planetes is unique in the sense that unlike 99% of sci-fi anime it does manage to show us a very realistic looking vision of the future and doesn't make fun of the laws of physics. Brilliant characterisation, too.

Also Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni. There is no anime like it.

Old 2007-08-26, 22:33   Link #14
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno321 View Post
About Lain and Haibane, it's just that I've read so different opinions (some say it is epic and some say it is way over the top and boring) that I'm kind of afraid of what I will see. And I'm not always in the mood of something like that; I know it'll be difficult to get into. I like challenges, but when I'm mentally ready.

I've heard great and awful things about Saikano too. I'll watch it eventually and tell myself.

Samurai X is another one of those on the "to-watch" list, as is Noein. Bartender seems quite unique, but I'll leave that for later. I associate it with Hataraki Man which was nice and original, but not too engrossing.

Beyond the Clouds was quite beautiful: I don't know why but I didn't enjoy it all that much, even if coldly analyzed I should have loved it. I will watch it again sometime.

KgNE: also, on my to-watch list, but I'm reluctant to manly tears melodrama. It can be great (Kanon) or a mess. Also, School Days pretty much sucks, although some wtf? things have kept me wanting for more.

Gravitation and CCS: Yeah, controversial, but not currently interesting, at least not for me.

Answer to Devildog's edit: I watched Ergo Proxy, sadly, I did. It's a fine example of HOW TO GO AWFULLY WRONG with a series. Out of 23 episodes, only 7-8 or so were worthy. A couple were actually really, really nice and memorable, but the series on the whole sucks. It is awfully pretentious. It pretends to be deep, complex, philosophical, by using superfluous means: some Greek statues named after XX century philosophers, huge ellipsis of time and post-apocalyptic setting which is a lame mix of Blade Runner and 1984 does not equal deep. Full of plot holes and with a horrid, eye-tearing animation on the second half. I could go on. I won't. Ergo Proxy sucks.
I just want to point out a very important point to this. Most unique anime is controversial. It is unique because it brings up a novel aspect that hasn't been explored before, and while some will like it, some will hate it, so you will just have to watch these anime to find out. There's no way you can understand everything from other people's reviews. KgNE: Hit or miss. People either hate it or love it. It's the same with SaiKano, FLCL, and Haibane Renmei. Also I would like to comment on another thing. Presentation is the most important thing for these types of series. Both Haibane and Renmei has very important themes and symbolisms, but I do not really like FLCL while I love Haibane Renmei. I understand completely FLCL's message, but I just don't think that it's presented in the right way, if that makes any sense to you. Of course this is also biased, since people find different methods of presentations more impactful than others.

Beyond the Clouds I didn't really like it the first time around, probably because I didn't understand it. It is a very weird anime. The more I watch it (or think about it), the more I like it. Every time I watch it I picked out something that I miss and the anime's value becomes that much better. Maybe it is the same case for you.

And of course there's also a case of comprehension. Haibane Renmei, I hated the ending. After ten minutes, everything just...clicks and it's been on my mind ever since. Maybe it doesn't click for some people, because Haibane Renmei is strangely episodic until the end. Every episode doesn't really "build" on the other but has a completely different plot, but yet it ties together in some way that you will not know until the very end when everything clicks.
Old 2007-08-26, 22:36   Link #15
Darkman.exe213
Yurippe is mai waifu

I second Planetes. Very realistic in many ways. A must-watch if you like comedy/drama or hard sci-fi.

I'd also like to recommend Infinite Ryvius, which is from the same director. VERY different from any other series out there. It's like Lord of the Flies in space, with hard sci-fi and mechs, solid writing, excellent drama, and plenty of suspense.
Old 2007-08-27, 01:52   Link #16
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

If you like NGE, you should definitely watch RahXephon. It borrows some ideas from Evangelion and is somewhat similar in terms of overall feeling of the story, but i prefer RahXephon any day of the week.

I definitely second Higurashi no Naku Koro ni . If there is one anime that i actually consider as a good horror, this is it. Have fun trying to piece together parts of the mystery Secon Season is currently ongoing.

You could also give Fantastic Children a shot. (Yes, i know the name sounds lame and is bound to give a wrong impression). This is definitely an underrated show.
Old 2007-08-27, 05:30   Link #17
Asai
Nya? ^_^
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Since Asai already mentioned two of my recommendations (Dennou and Mononoke), I'll toss out a couple of others. One is Bartender, a slice-of-life show that covers issues about adult lives and loves not normally discussed in anime. Another is Noein, a science-fiction show with some quite extraordinary animation in a number of the episodes and a lovely young heroine. Finally I'll toss out Oh! Edo Rocket, an anachronistic view of Edo-period Japan with aliens and TVs that's nevertheless held my attention through ten episodes already. While I wouldn't put it on the same level as the others I've mentioned here, it's still pretty unusual and well-animated.
Pretty sure I've said it before, but you have excellent taste. Never do I disagree with any of your suggestions.

Listen to this man!
Old 2007-08-27, 05:52   Link #18
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
Quote:
I have seen Lamune. It was enjoyable, yes, but if we go slice of life then nothing tops Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou.
In a way, it's rather depressing to know that only a few titles can even come close to being as memorable. (T_T)

Quote:
I was chatting with a friend and we came to realize that while there is a lot more of anime today, there seems to be no real substance to be found. And I'm not just talking about "intellectual" stuff.
When you're out of decent anime, try manga then. Despite the number of talented writers and mangaka out there, a good number of them are not "mainstream enough" to get licensed or get anime adaptations for their works. More titles, scanlating teams, and downloading's less of a hassle due to the smaller file sizes. Some of my favorite teams would be Omanga, Kotonoha, MangaTranslation, Jinmen Juushi, Manga Sketchbook, and Cafe Alpha. Plenty of unlicensed stuff.

Usually, I stick to slice of life titles too but even that particular genre, there are mainstream titles (Lucky Star), unorthodox (YKK, Haibane Renmei, Zettai Shounen, Mushishi, Bartender), and those that are somewhere between the two extremes (Ichigo Mashimaro, Kamichu!, ARIA).

As for manga-only titles, there are What a Wonderful World by Inio ASANO, Mohiro Kitoh’s Short Stories - Zansho, , Hiroki Endo Short Stories, etc.

Quote:
Answer to Devildog's edit: I watched Ergo Proxy, sadly, I did. It's a fine example of HOW TO GO AWFULLY WRONG with a series. A couple were actually really, really nice and memorable, but the series on the whole sucks. It is awfully pretentious. It pretends to be deep, complex, philosophical, by using superfluous means: some Greek statues named after XX century philosophers, huge ellipsis of time and post-apocalyptic setting which is a lame mix of Blade Runner and 1984 does not equal deep.
Lol. I "acquired" the series some time ago due to the recommendation from another member in a Xenogears forum (XGAM). I watched 3 episodes, checked the internet for more opinions, then dropped it. I never was a big fan of Xenogears. (-_-)

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<º))))><.¸.•´¯`•.¸reviews¸.•´¯`•.¸links¸.•´¯`•.¸.><((((º>

Last edited by G. Zeus; 2007-08-27 at 07:09.
Old 2007-08-27, 15:12   Link #19
bruno321
Whirling Knife

Well, it's good Haibane Renmei is not so hard as Lain, that way I'll see it sooner. (When I have more time, because until 15 November arrives I'm already having a hard time watching 9 weeklies and one which I already have whole)

Quote:
it's rather depressing to know that only a few titles can even come close to being as memorable.
It is. But still, I enjoy those that are close to memorable, or that are plain "good!". Else, I wouldn't watch all this anime and I would stick to the "strict necessary", if you get my point.

As for manga, I started reading YKK some weeks ago. I'm getting around very slowly, reading manga on the PC is not something that really gets me "hooked" or wanting to read. I do enjoy it, yeah, but with the few free time I have it's rather hard to keep a good pace. Anyway, I will eventually check manga, because there are surely jewels which I have missed, which haven't been adapted to anime.

And eh, Xenogears was great. Ergo Proxy was... not.

Ah, edit: I'm also aware of Kemonozume, and I will surely watch it soon.

Last edited by bruno321; 2007-08-27 at 15:56.
Old 2007-08-27, 15:36   Link #20
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
Well, I'm not saying that XG and Ergo Proxy were bad, just not my cup of tea. Life's pretty complicated as it is, why bother with jargon in fiction?

Other suggestions:
Ever heard of Yasuhiro Yoshiura? Some say that he's the guy that Makoto Shinkai should watch out for. Another one man army (animator, director, scriptwriter, even did some of the dialogue), Yoshiura's responsible for the short film entitled Pale Cocoon (less than 24 mins) and the even shorter Mizu no Kotoba (Aquatic Language, less than 10 mins). Unlike Shinkai's films which rely on sheer emotions alone, Yoshiura's works have the drama toned down but also give viewers something to think about. Two animated films to keep your mind and heart preoccupied for a while.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<º))))><.¸.•´¯`•.¸reviews¸.•´¯`•.¸links¸.•´¯`•.¸.><((((º>
Closed Thread