Study: States must fill $1 trillion pension gap

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35448576/ns/us_news-life

Spoiler:
Old 2010-02-18, 12:39   Link #6142
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
The US seems to be following a rather mixed agenda in its dealings with China these days. On the one hand, we have the arms deal with Taiwan and today's meeting between Obama and the Dalai Lama. On the other hand, we have glimmers of detente like this event.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out in the coming weeks as the US tries to get China on board with sanctions against Iran. The Russians seem to have signed on, but the Chinese have stronger commercial relations with Iran, I believer.
Old 2010-02-18, 13:44   Link #6143
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35448576/ns/us_news-life

Spoiler:
Yeah... there are politicians in all 50 states who probably need to be in jail for playing their shell games with retirement mechanisms (be they pensions or Social Security). Those were always convenient piles to borrow from or skip funding rather than make the tough choices. This train has been coming for quite a while but both voter and politician have been "la la la la" on the train tracks.
Old 2010-02-18, 13:45   Link #6144
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Talking about China....

China's Growth Slowed Ahead of Government Tightening

At least they are finally clamping down on excess.....they build and produce so much, saturate the market, then devalue most of the physical stocks. It is bad for the market and highly anti-competitive, because undervaluing the good sold means underpaying the workers who make the goods and slows the R&D, eventually damaging quality of the goods in long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Yeah... there are politicians in all 50 states who probably need to be in jail for playing their shell games with retirement mechanisms (be they pensions or Social Security). Those were always convenient piles to borrow from or skip funding rather than make the tough choices. This train has been coming for quite a while but both voter and politician have been "la la la la" on the train tracks.
I suspect that you are worried about yours. Am I right?

P.S No offense intended. Just asking out of curio.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-02-18, 17:01   Link #6145
mg1942

Pilot Crashes Into Texas Building in Apparent Anti-IRS Suicide

Quote:
A pilot furious with the Internal Revenue Service crashed his small plane into an Austin, Texas, office building where nearly 200 federal tax employees work on Thursday, ignited a raging fire that sent massive plumes of thick, black smoke rising from the seven-story structure.

Troubling Portrait Emerges of Pilot Who Crashed Into Texas Building

Quote:
Andrew Joseph Stack III, the 53-year-old software engineer who crashed his small plane into an office building in Austin, Texas, on Thursday, detailed his frustration with the federal government — and particularly the Internal Revenue Service — in a manifesto he posted online.

RAW DATA: Joseph Andrew Stack Suicide Manifesto

Spoiler for If you’re reading this, you’re no doubt asking yourself, “Why did this have to happen?:

Last edited by mg1942; 2010-02-18 at 20:59.
Old 2010-02-18, 17:11   Link #6146
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I suspect that you are worried about yours. Am I right?

P.S No offense intended. Just asking out of curio.
No, actually I don't have any sort of "pension". I just know that both governments and corporations have *failed* their moral and financial duties with pension funds in many, many cases - and that the individual executives and politicians involved should have to pay the piper - perhaps out of their amazing bonuses they get for doing a terrible job.

As for the pilot software engineer's kamikaze run as posted by mg1942 ..... this is why its often a Bad Idea to piss off your intellectual classes, inventors, craftsmen, etc.... they can do *amazing* damage if they get pushed into the 'nothing left to lose' zone. He's just one guy doing a suicide-protest. Imagine a thousand.... who might start working together.
Old 2010-02-18, 17:33   Link #6147
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
As for the pilot software engineer's kamikaze run as posted by mg1942 ..... this is why its often a Bad Idea to piss off your intellectual classes, inventors, craftsmen, etc.... they can do *amazing* damage if they get pushed into the 'nothing left to lose' zone. He's just one guy doing a suicide-protest. Imagine a thousand.... who might start working together.
Certainly do not want some of them to go The White Plague like...
Old 2010-02-18, 17:34   Link #6148
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
I'm quite amazed by the man's act. I find it ironic that America was once viewed and to a lesser degree still viewed as the land of possibilities. But hey, who am I to say if his actions are right and wrong; I simply haven't gotten to my point of life to be able to feasibly understand his level of frustration and suffering.

It's an interesting story and alot of conflicting views will turn up.

Credit To Risa-chan!
Old 2010-02-18, 18:56   Link #6149
Xion Valkyrie

Man, schools are getting ridiculous nowadays.

http://gizmodo.com/5474614/school-sp...laptop-cameras
Old 2010-02-18, 20:50   Link #6150
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockWorkAngel View Post
I'm quite amazed by the man's act. I find it ironic that America was once viewed and to a lesser degree still viewed as the land of possibilities. But hey, who am I to say if his actions are right and wrong; I simply haven't gotten to my point of life to be able to feasibly understand his level of frustration and suffering.

Conflicting views are, as you might imagine, already appearing. Some of those making comments elsewhere were calling Andrew Stack a Tea Partier; others think of him as a Leftist. Reading through the text of his "suicide note", I can't really understand why people are calling it a manifesto. It's more of a "Here is my life" and a "What happened to drive me to do this" type of a last will/testament.

The man is biased toward his own perceptions - obviously, being the writer himself. Nonetheless and IMHO, it's an interesting read on how Andrew Stack, after a number of painful defeats, lost hope.

Unfortunately, I doubt people will take away the right lesson from his act, and will likely just brand him as a "nutjob" instead of a man pushed too far.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
Old 2010-02-18, 20:53   Link #6151
mg1942

I read his so called 'Manifesto'

He sounds like a Libertarian half the time and a Commie and then a Tea Bagging Tax protester the rest. His politics are all over the chart. The man was only hurting in his own head. He describes trying some kinda tax dodge that goes wrong as starting this whole mess. I don't like Glenn Beck but this guy isn't his baby.
Old 2010-02-18, 21:20   Link #6152
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post

He sounds like a Libertarian half the time and a Commie and then a Tea Bagging Tax protester the rest. His politics are all over the chart. The man was only hurting in his own head. He describes trying some kinda tax dodge that goes wrong as starting this whole mess. I don't like Glenn Beck but this guy isn't his baby.
That's why I didn't understand why people were calling the document a manifesto. Reading through the document, IMHO, it does not come across as political - outside of bits where he talked about things like different rules apply to different people (paraphrasing), and people have been ranting about that, in one form or another, for centuries.

If you strip out the personal bias within it, the document reads like a list of the "potholes" in Andrew Stack's life with the most recent incident where he was audited (and wasn't told by his accountant of needing to take into account his new wife's undeclared income till right then) being the straw that broke the camel's back. Andrew Stack did not come across as a man trusting of government being "for the people", and if the anecdotes in his story are true (biased toward him or not), I can't blame him for that lack of trust.

The only thing at the moment that I can blame him for was his looking to cause harm to other people who may not have been responsible. Why not attack his accountant (not that I'm saying he should, but the man did not come across as on Stack's side)? By doing so, IMHO, Andrew Stack came across less as a man driven to commit his act than someone simply lashing out at the most obvious (to him perhaps) cause of his problems.

Old 2010-02-18, 23:33   Link #6153
iLney

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post

Aren't you describing an "independent"?
Old 2010-02-19, 00:32   Link #6154
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
The US seems to be following a rather mixed agenda in its dealings with China these days. On the one hand, we have the arms deal with Taiwan and today's meeting between Obama and the Dalai Lama. On the other hand, we have glimmers of detente like this event.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out in the coming weeks as the US tries to get China on board with sanctions against Iran. The Russians seem to have signed on, but the Chinese have stronger commercial relations with Iran, I believer.
I believe you're far more astute a political observer than me, and with greater experience to boot. In my opinion, a lot of the bluster between the United States and China is just that — bluster. The US cannot afford to look weak in the Asia-Pacific, and the Chinese Communist Party cannot afford to look weak in front of its increasingly nationalistic people. So, in public, both sides put on a sabre-rattling show while, in private, face-saving deals were probably already in place to keep the money flowing.

The simple fact, at the moment, is that the US and China are already joined at the hip economically. China needs a healthy US consumer market in order for its own export-driven economy to grow, while the US corporations see the burgeoning Chinese market as a source of new customers. I highly doubt that either side would want to upset this lucrative relationship, whatever their political and ideological differences.

Meanwhile:

Scientists create matter at 4 trillion deg C
Quote:
Washington (Feb 18): American physicists have created matter at around 4 trillion deg C, the hottest temperature ever reached in a laboratory, simulating a "quark soup" scientists believe existed at the universe's birth.

The Department of Energy laboratory where the record-breaking temperature was reached said the effect was achieved by slamming together gold ions travelling at nearly the speed of light inside the Brookhaven National Laboratory's Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC) — an "atom smasher" with a 3.8km (2.4-mile) circumference.

The ultra-high temperature is higher than what is needed to melt protons and neutrons into a plasma of quarks and gluons, the substance that filled the universe a few microseconds after it came into existence 13.7 billion years ago, Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) said on Monday.

The research programme will be complemented by studies soon to get under way at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), a 27.4km circumference particle accelerator buried underground on the French-Swiss border near Geneva, the BNL added.

"The LHC will devote a month each year to colliding heavy nuclei at energies much higher than RHIC's — extending the exploration of matter one step farther back in time towards the birth of the universe," BNL said.

- AFP

Last edited by TinyRedLeaf; 2010-02-19 at 02:32. Reason: For the Big Bang.
Old 2010-02-19, 11:25   Link #6155
justsomeguy

Regarding Joe Stack, the man was a tax cheat trying to paint himself in a favorable light even in his suicide manifesto.
The guy's trouble started when he as an individual attempted to take advantage of deductions intended to be used by institutions, and got caught and fined.
Stack started businesses multiple times, and got his licenses suspended multiple times for not paying taxes.
He withdrew money from an IRA (tax-deferred, not tax-exempt) and did not file a return that year.
He tried to hide $12700 in income, and got caught, audited, and fined, and tried to blame this on his accountant.
I agree that parts of the tax code are unfair or nonsensical, but Joe Stack brought his problems upon himself by actively trying to dodge taxes to make a political statement, ending up having to pay fines and losing hidden income as well as his efforts, and landing himself on the IRS's shit list.
Old 2010-02-19, 16:14   Link #6156
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

* Russian museum honors US WWII vet
Old 2010-02-19, 21:02   Link #6158
cors8
Kuu-chan is hungry

That lawyer should be put on the frontlines in Afghanistan/Pakistan to look for and capture these terrorists. He obviously knows something the military, intelligence agencies, and the president doesn't.

It's like the terrorists in Afghanistan/Pakistan are holding big signs saying "Capture me here!" and it takes no time for Spec. Ops to plan successful operations and transportation.
Old 2010-02-19, 23:12   Link #6159
LynnieS

Obama: Social Security fix would be simple
Spoiler for To save space. The entire (original) short article posted here:
Wow. While I have to applaud Barack Obama's guts for suggesting this in public, I also have to wonder if he has now given up on re-election in 2012. If all of the estimates and projections done in the past were right, Social Security does need to be fixed, and short of increasing the population of workers contributing to the fund, you have to either (1) tax more heavily, (2) tax more of the population - i.e., include those who were not contributing in the past - or (3) decrease benefits in the future. The 4th choice being the stopping of Social Security completely.

Increasing the number of workers should already be on people's minds now, but the odds of the U3 number going below 10% anytime soon are not too good. Decreasing benefits or canceling Social Security outright will get the retirees in a tizzy, and this group is probably the most vocal and the most willing to go to the election booths in the U.S.

That means more taxes look more likely for the future instead. Risky, but short of certain actions - like stripping away pork projects (and that will not happen) - it's likely to happen.

Old 2010-02-19, 23:55   Link #6160
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockWorkAngel View Post

Disclaimer: I just wrote a rant below and then added this disclaimer. ClockWorkAngel, just to be clear, the angry tone and attitude I have it not directed to you at all. It is just anger at this Joe Stack guy. So please don't interpret anything as negativity towards you.

It is bullshit what he did. "To understand his level of frustration and suffering". Many people experience great suffering and immense frustration in their life. Most of them don't end up doing a kamikaze stunt that kills some people, critically injures 2, and hurts a dozen other people. I don't care what his issues were with the IRS, you don't kill innocent IRS employees. Think about it, the man who died in the IRS building had a life, friends and family. The two people who were critically injured have loved ones and all those other things. That Joe Stack schmuck did a murder suicide because "Waaah, the IRS ruined my life!". The man was keeping him down. It got in the way of his life. Ruined his financial plans. So what is the solution? To truly destroy the life of others? Really? God, I'm just getting sick of people like him. He could have coped with his financial problems. The person he killed is gone from Earth for good. The 2 people who are critically injured are still in danger of losing their lives and may be permanently injured. I don't care what Joe Stack's bad experiences were with the IRS and his frustration. I rant and rave because the man writes his manifesto and acts like he was to do a righteous act. He probably envisioned his act to be something like martyrdom or something. Really, I just see him as a hateful man who was ready to give up on life and decided to take out some IRS employees while he was at it.

Sorry for the rant, but it bothers me that there are people as low as him in this world. I didn't read the manifesto, but I read in a news article that he said "Violence is the only answer". God, I'm sick of psychos hurting and killing others because they can't handle their problems in life, you know? I felt the need to rant to get some things off my chest.

Edit: Just read this post: http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...postcount=6155 . God, that Joe Stack guy is an even bigger douche now. He had IRS problems that he brought upon himself and acts like they are bad and that anarchy was the answer to the "bad, bad government people". Ugh, well, at least I know now that the IRS wasn't in the slightest too strict to him; like I said, he brought upon the IRS problems he faced.

Last edited by Urzu 7; 2010-02-20 at 00:21.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international