AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-01-13, 14:27   Link #341
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

It's quite clear that Masuzu is jealous of Eita and Mazusu's relationship, it's probably one of the reasons why she's challenging Chiwa. What she didn't expect is that Chiwa isn't a quitter, but sticks with her guns until she can do so no longer. How she will deal with this will prove to be interesting, I think.

Judging by the pre-episode 1 special, things will REALLY start heating up once the other two girls enter the scene.
Old 2013-01-13, 16:38   Link #342
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
After the first episode, I read someone who coined Masuzu as “a silver Hitagi”, which, at the time I thought was kinda true, as their characters are similar. Maybe it was because I read that phrase that, at the end of this episode, I thought the similarities were a bit stronger, in the way Eita talked about Chiwa. When Masuzu asked him about his childhood friend, he was clearly able to understand her. In a way, to me, to know that much about a friend constitutes a type of love too, romantic or not. If you’ve watched Neko(Kuro), then the part that I’m reminded of is

Spoiler for -monogatari Bake/Nise/Neko:

This broadly ties in to the “not gonna love” mantra followed by Eita, yet, still as I was saying how it’s ‘love, but not love’ with Chiwa, despite Masuzu being the [fake] girlfriend. I think Masuzu saw this at the end of the episode which prompted her response to say something like ‘only look at me, and no other girls’, even though their relationship is supposed to be fake.

If that’s how it’s going to be, it’s going to be much more interesting than I originally thought. The one thing I can’t stand is a bully ‘winning’ each time(see Haganai’s Sena/Yozora for a good example of what annoys me =0\[yet I still watch it (>.>)]), but the type of relationship I described earlier, even if it doesn’t fit to the letter will be interesting to watch =03.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 21:56   Link #343
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaturas View Post
I don't know if its only Japanese sick minds or something.
But I don't remebmer ANY kids in my country going retard mode like that.
Thinking you are super hero or something. [...] That's why it seems stupid at best for me to have any kind of chunibyou. But well *Japan ...*.
Well, I really don't know why you insist on this almost racist tone. Keep in mind that it's just a plot device, and like many it's exaggerated for effect.

That being said... it seems to me that a lot of people did embarrassing things in their childhood that they look back now and think of as stupid. While I didn't think I was a superhero or anything, I did have a sort of diary for a time, and some of the things I wrote there seemed so profound at the time but were really quite naive. Some of the things I remember trying to do to "impress a lady" were also colossally stupid and worthy of any shounen romantic comedy with a hapless male lead. So regardless of the actual contents of the journal in particular, I think it's "the thought that counts" here. She has leverage on him to drudge up the parts of his past that he'd rather be forgotten, and he's not yet secure enough in his own self to be able to just "own it" and say "yeah, I was pretty stupid back then". That sort of perspective generally only comes with age. I think we're supposed to identify with his decisively teen-aged view of his own self-image and how he wants to be perceived, not so much the particular things he fantasized about (which are doubtless also intended as comedy for us).

So anyway, I think you're being way too harsh about specifics when the concept is much more important.
Old 2013-01-13, 22:12   Link #344
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
So, it's similar to "samefag," but with a context of pretending?
Well, you can put it that way, I guess.
Spoilers
Spoiler for current Ji-En-Otsu as shown in the anime
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 22:34   Link #345
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

All I can say is that meganekko Masuzu = lol

I still just love the Tsukasa-ness of her character, lol.
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 22:36   Link #346
takai
Easy Muffin

Eh, this has been sort a disappointment so far. However, I liked how episode 2 ended with her saying she's "going all the way".
takai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 09:52   Link #347
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
So, it's similar to "samefag," but with a context of pretending?
I just realized where you got SAMEFAG from.

Society Advocating Maidenly Elegance For All Girls = SAMEFAG

Pretty good. Probably the closest anyone can get for the dual meanings
Old 2013-01-14, 18:27   Link #348
Angry Cat

So, thought I should drop by.
Been finding this series really fun and interesting so far. It's an interesting concept with both the mains hating the idea of love.

Masuzu is pretty entertaining imo, by far the most interesting character in the show. Firmly in her camp as for who I'm rooting for atm. Though I'm curious about the other girls being shown in the ED (or was it the OP?).

I still haven't quite warmed up to Chiwa however, she's a bit too annoying right now even if she provides a decent amount of comedy. Though I liked that the second episode gave us a bit more of an explanation as to why she is being like this right now.
I hope I'll warm up a bit more to her though.
Angry Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 21:30   Link #349
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

A lot of people seem to dislike Chiwa, but I like her. In fact, as I do with many osananajimi, I kind of identify with her, and feel her confusion, frustration, and pain.

But in general, this second episode was less interesting for me than the first. We'll see how things develop in ep3, which may bring more characters into the action.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-15, 02:14   Link #350
Used Can

I honestly don't see why anyone would dislike Chiwa when she's done nothing wrong.
Masuzu is my favourite, purely because of her shenanigans, but the things she's done so far are not really nice. Blackmailing Eita into being her boyfriend, then having Chiwa ridicule herself in front of the class and even going as far as to laugh about it (and she knew that was wrong, as shown by her behaviour when she saw Chiwa in the club-room) doesn't really speak too well about her.
So, I'm fairly surprised to see that a lot people love Masuzu and dislike Chiwa. Not that I'm complaining, Masuzu is my favourite after all, but I'd have expect to see her getting a lot of heat for the things she's done in these first two episodes.
Old 2013-01-15, 03:14   Link #351
Dauerlutscher
Marauder Shields

Well, I don't dislike Chiwa, she is just annoying me a little.
I don't take everthing too serious what is happaning so i don't have a problem with any charater in this show. I found this 2 episodes very entertaining sofar.
Dauerlutscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-15, 04:28   Link #352
larethian

On a related note, I just scoured around the internet for comments about the show. I'm disappointed with the number of shallow watchers, especially those who can do nothing more than to echo others without exercising their mental faculties. *facepalm* Thankfully, animesuki has less of such people, though a substantial number of them do exist, just a little less comparatively.

On a side note, it's funny how people have tendencies to make comparisons with the most recent shows. I remember the time when the novel was just out and Mayo Chiki was airing (quite frankly, I think Mayo Chiki was an absolutely boring harem love comedy IMHO, if not for Kanade, I would rate it as horrible, with Kanade, it's average at best; sorry to fans, just my inner voice speaking m(_ _ )m ), and novel readers were comparing Masuzu with Kanade then. Now anime watchers are comparing her to Hitagi or Yozora? And Eita with Yuuta? It's funny how people jump out on certain similarities and start yelling 'cliche' and missing out on all the unique parts. It's even more amusing to see the number of people jumping on the 'label this as cliche in episode 1' bandwagon with the masses without exercising their mental faculties. Oh I just said that twice.

On another note, at least some of the blog reviewers/critics did think through on the possibilities on why the setup/characters could be so and what could happen next. Makes me a little happier, I would say

By the way, we don't have any screen caps on Masuzu's JoJo poses for ep2?

And I'm not too sure what's so annoying about Chiwa? I find all the girls quite likeable for the traits they possess. Chiwa is hardworking, goal-oriented, and always stays positive and energetic, and looks like a puppy . As for Masuzu, well, she has her face, her appearance, and her looks, and is my favorite because of her antics

Anyway, sorry to disturb the peace here, just me rambling after a long day of hard work LOL.
Old 2013-01-15, 04:41   Link #353
Mentar
Banned

I don't really dislike Chiwa, and part of me does feel for her. She's the epitome of a genki, nice girl, who has her heart in the right spot. Positive, energetic and dedicated. But - that needs to be said - a bit simple-minded. Great to have as a friend, but as a lover?

For me, it's just that in my opinion, she is a bad romantic match for Eita. He's got an entirely different personality, and is on a different intellectual and maturity level. He has different wounds and different ways to deal with them.

This is where Masuzu comes into play. Unlike Chiwa, she _is_ at Eita's intellectual/maturity level, and she bears the same wounds - she just deals with them differently. The first 2 eps show her nasty, conniving side, but there's more to her than meets the eye so far. Give it some time

And finally, my personal opinion: I love Masuzu, because I'm sick to my stomach about the terrible moefication of anime recently. Where cute girls do cute things under cute circumstances. I seriously couldn't stand the latest KyoAni work longer than 5 minutes, I was just fed up with moe, to the hilt. Give me an intense, smart and partly evil character like Masuzu over the moe barrage any day.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-15, 05:06   Link #354
playmaker2k
Nishikino Maki (* ̄▽ ̄*)

^ Agreed.

I always preferred the Masuzu, Shizuku (Kampfer), and Hitagi types anyway.

The interactions are always unpredictable with great service to the viewers.

Plus, Full Bodies > Ironing Boards. (There's nothing delicious about Flat Chest in anime and RL)

Last edited by playmaker2k; 2013-01-15 at 06:07.
playmaker2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-15, 05:14   Link #355
Dahak86
Classics never age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
And finally, my personal opinion: I love Masuzu, because I'm sick to my stomach about the terrible moefication of anime recently. Where cute girls do cute things under cute circumstances. I seriously couldn't stand the latest KyoAni work longer than 5 minutes.
You're not alone, mate... you're not alone.
Old 2013-01-15, 09:26   Link #356
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

my Masuzu got animated.... yes!!! and Yukarin voiced her in great way....
that cruel speech is really Masuzu's trademark!

Although Chiwa's voice is too mature, her childish attitude is still there....

so far, I'm quite satisfied with the animation although I think they can make Masuzu looks more beautiful...

and now, I'm waiting for the time when that 'fake' relationship become a 'real' one
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-15, 14:02   Link #357
takai
Easy Muffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post
and now, I'm waiting for the time when that 'fake' relationship become a 'real' one
Same, I'm waiting for the harem to start as well. Should increase my interest in the show greatly, especially when Masuzu starts getting jelly.
takai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-15, 15:18   Link #358
Folenfant
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak86 View Post
You're not alone, mate... you're not alone.
That makes at least three then. Part of what's keeping me watching this is the absolute delight I'm getting in watching a bishoujo with personality troll the moe girl that reminds me of Rikka Takanashi from Chuunibyou. It's like if you took your average Kyoani female lead and transplanted her out of their universe where nothing bad ever seems to happen to the characters with any lasting consequences and put her in the lions den with a Jojo fan that isn't obligated to be nice to her just cause she's small and acts cutesy. And really Masuzu isn't even being all that much of a bully here. There's no physical or emotional abuse so much as mild embarassment that Chiwa brought on herself and nobody is telling Keita that he has to care more about his diary than the fake girlfriend thing. Basically the other two seem to be supplying her with elastic bands to shoot at them that they react to like they're being shot with bb gun ammo and shes willing to oblige is the way I see it.
Folenfant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-15, 18:10   Link #359
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
-snip-
I agree with you when it comes to Chiwa when you say she's a bad romantic match for Eita. He's mature and has his goals laid out in front of him while she's... well... Chiwa. I don't like "genki girls" since I find them annoying, but Chiwa's not too bad as a friend, if only she'd stop doing all those embarassing things that she thinks will make her popular *sigh*

I'm also tired of the endless moe barrage that nowadays anime sends our way, but that doesn't mean I'll accept a nasty girl who blackmails others to further her own goals and plays bad pranks on people for kicks. Man.. I really hated Masuzu as a character, yet here I am still, because people say she gets better.

Not nearly enough "normal" girls (heck, characters) on anime these days!
Dark Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-15, 18:32   Link #360
Coldlight
Sayaka★Magica

I see the Masuzu supporters have begun to come out in force.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post
Although Chiwa's voice is too mature
This is what I've been saying all along... Her voice does not really match her character.

Tags
comedy, coming of age, harem, romance, school life, shounen