Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-03-14, 14:47   Link #581
Anacone
Lazy Poster

Send a message via MSN to Anacone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Another fine episode of Gakuen Utopia Mikan Straight!

And on the subject of Momo's hawtness...
Spoiler:

Edit: Whoah thx Pelissier, just what I needed
Anacone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-14, 15:23   Link #582
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furudanuki
*notes the girl on the tan blanket* Momo is so hawt that the Integrated Data Sentient Entity assigned a Nagato® series Living Humanoid Interface to keep her under observation.
It really does looks like her. Hmmm, wasn't Momo saying something about UFO's the other day......... OH SHI-!! hope that's not a spoiler.

And Orca-sama........Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
You know, at a certain point I thought the same thing exactly (the same title too). I wonder if this is scary or just funny

Spoiler for episode 7:
I really dont mind if Manabi takes a backseat in the show; Though, I am probably in the minority in that regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anacone
I think that picture is proof enough that they aren't pure lolis
She actually looks taller/older in those pics IMO.

Not that I am complaining.
Old 2007-03-14, 17:05   Link #583
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
Spoiler for episode 7 brief comment + trivia:
lol at least someone is keeping count mei is not playing fair ~ go muuchi!!

and i must say...the most enchanting feature about momo has to be her twin pony tails...by kyon who agrees up above

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-14, 19:57   Link #584
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Maids! Maids! Maids! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-14, 20:35   Link #585
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Random Thoughts on GUMS Ep07:
---- ----
  • I thought a lot about Higurashi and NGE as I watched this episode. Higurashi because of the explicit stating of the date and cicadas( not to mention Momo's deliberate walking), while NGE was because of the cicadas as well and the train-signal scene during Mikan's dream( Mikan is Shinji? Nah... she has more balls than that invertebrate).
  • Mikan snipped at Mei! Wow, they really do lack a lot of sleep if it can even make Mikan snippy.
  • More pseudo-yuri scenes of Mikan melting over Takano.
  • What Takano has wrought, Takano can stop; but will she?
  • Speaking of NGE, Aikoh's Superintendent emits Gendou-vibes with that pose of her's. All she's missing is a pair of white gloves.
  • Some additional bleak background information was given out in this episode. We already know that a lot of teenagers stop schooling in order to work instead, and judging from the dialogue in this episode, it seems that the manpower shortage is so acute in the workforce, that worker-benefits are very good. A job where it is like a festival everyday? Wow.
  • Nice touch on animating the festival crowd onto Manabi's eyes.
  • Is GUMS trying to compete with SHnY for the world's shortest animated love story set in a sports-setting?
  • Actually, when you think about it. Most of the story since episode one has been from Mikan's perspective. Mikan is also the NARRATOR. Manabi is therefore the observed subject( most of the time). So it kinda makes sense that we see Mikan so much, because the series is more or less from her perspective( especially when it comes to flashbacks).

Manabi's-perspective scenes( scenes, NOT episodes) are generally there to give us more background information on Manabi.

It's kinda similar to SHnY in that respect. Although Haruhi is the title character in that series, she is not the main protagonist. Kyon is. In GUMS though, the perspective is not so one-sided, and we do get to see the story from other characters' point of view.
Cheers.
Old 2007-03-14, 21:33   Link #586
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
It's kinda similar to SHnY in that respect. Although Haruhi is the title character in that series, she is not the main protagonist. Kyon is. In GUMS though, the perspective is not so one-sided, and we do get to see the story from other characters' point of view.
That's like saying Sherlock Holmes is not the main protagonist in Conan Doyle's books.

Ah, the cliffhanger! I can't wait for episode 8! (and the raw watchers have been saying that it's the best episode so far!)

PS: Is it me, or the animation quality for this show keeps going higher and higher with the passing eps?

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-14, 21:45   Link #587
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
That's like saying Sherlock Holmes is not the main protagonist in Conan Doyle's books.
But it is true( with regards to SHnY that is). The anime series chose a fairly Haruhi-intensive arc to cover, but if you analyse it carefully, outside of the anime-original Ep09(14), all the episodes are from Kyon's point of view. He is narrator and we are watching events unfold from his perspective. If you read the novels, you will see what I mean as Kyon interacts more and more with the other members of the SOS-Brigade( namely Yuki and Mikuru).

Haruhi is hardly featured in some of these volumes( and is sometimes totally absent from multiple chapters), but Kyon is always there.

GUMS is not as one-sided as SHnY as I said, but it still holds true that most of the narrative has always been from Mikan's point of view. Manabi is in the title because she is the catalyst for the events unfolding now, but we are mostly experiencing it from Mikan's point of view.

Cheers.
Old 2007-03-14, 23:18   Link #588
suguru
京都 ikitai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
[*]Actually, when you think about it. Most of the story since episode one has been from Mikan's perspective. Mikan is also the NARRATOR. Manabi is therefore the observed subject( most of the time). So it kinda makes sense that we see Mikan so much, because the series is more or less from her perspective( especially when it comes to flashbacks).
That's a good point--I was definitely expecting going into this that most of the series would focus on Manabi, but in some episodes it's more like Gakuen Utopia Mikan Straight. Not that this is a bad thing, I'm still really enjoying this

It'll be interesting to see what ufotable does with the last two episodes (the last two aired eps anyway, 11 and 12)--Dokkoida suddenly took a serious turn with a 2-episode arc to end the series, while 2x2=Shinobuden didn't get serious at all and broke the fourth wall a couple times in the last episode instead. I guess I can see Manabi Straight going somewhere in between--the more of it I watch the less I can imagine a deadly serious ending like the PVs seemed to imply, and I can see it just closing with the school festival instead, which would be fine with me.
suguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-15, 00:16   Link #589
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
GUMS is not as one-sided as SHnY as I said, but it still holds true that most of the narrative has always been from Mikan's point of view. Manabi is in the title because she is the catalyst for the events unfolding now, but we are mostly experiencing it from Mikan's point of view.

Cheers.
Totally agree with Skane on this one.

Watched the first episode again, and I now believe that the whole thing was not about Manabi, but rather, it was all about how Mikan gets to know Manabi.

Back when I first saw the episode, I was just too focused on Manabi to see this.

They could still give the final episodes to Manabi though. >_< !!
Old 2007-03-15, 00:23   Link #590
Jiji
*Scanlator

I think you guys are right about Mikan being the focus, but I'm biased--I like Mikan best. Still, Manabi is the catalyst that enlivened the school and everything, not to mention the japanese pun of her name--"manabi" sounds like the same word for "place of learning", "manabiya". I gather the japanese love these sorts of "puns".
Jiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-15, 06:04   Link #591
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Fortunately, Mikan isn't like Kyon. If Mikan becomes a Kyonko, I would be seriously worried about what Mei would do (what, she can step up and be the full Haruhi? That'd be wrong. I keep thinking if suddenly, Mei will want to doll up somebody in the Brigade... I mean student council.)

And I was seriously thinking about Higurashi for the first 8 minutes. After that, a little bit of AIR TV... and suddenly Matrix.

One thing for sure, the excitement from being in the echelon of power proves to be electrifying.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-15, 06:11   Link #592
Dop
Mmmm....

So, the plot thickens!
Loved Mei telling the cicada to shut up.
The whole slapping contest and Mei accusing Mucchi of being a boy - brilliant.
But Momo saying 'Mei-tan, you're such a tsundere' was priceless.

But nobody wanted to see her holiday snaps.

Looking forward to the next episode now.

As for Daniel E.'s alternative title, shouldn't it be "Gakuen Utopia Mikan. Straight?"
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-15, 06:34   Link #593
Lost

Watched episode 7. Yes, Mei telling the cricket to shut up; and then later it falling off made me LOL. Broken Manabi, Mei and Mu-chi scene was crazy and hilarious at the same time; poor Mikan, I really sympathised with her.

It's heartening to see this taking direction, looks from the next episode's title like Manabi and gang will FIGHT-O (well, that's expected) so it'll be nice to see that. Really, it seems like even the adults in that world have warped thinking - it'll be up to Manabi to put the "fun" back in school, and I think that that is really the theme of the entire series. Also, hopefully, Takano will join their side. So we can see more pseudo-yuri scenes! (as if we don't have enough with Mu-chi around)
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-15, 07:51   Link #594
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
Manabi and gang will FIGHT-O
Funnily enough, the next episode's title is Seioh Student Council: Fight to!

Old 2007-03-15, 14:42   Link #595
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
higurashi vibes just screams all over the "breaking" part

"sleep and you will die!!" *slap slap slap*

owh im just egarly awaiting to watch ep 8 when the sub comes out ~ a scene that is another link which shows that this series do have a lot more in common with SHnY

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-15, 19:40   Link #596
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Funnily enough, the next episode's title is Seioh Student Council: Fight to!
Yeah, that was what I was basing that sentence on.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-15, 20:17   Link #597
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
Yeah, that was what I was basing that sentence on.
Yeah, well, I was just laughing at the wonders of the Japanese use of foreign languages

Old 2007-03-15, 21:22   Link #598
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The slugfest was hilarious, especially Mikan's powerful ending and then... back to work. The quarterpower punches and slaps kept the whole thing in some context.

The outdoor scene with Manabi and Taka-chan got the hair prickling on my neck for just a second. Manabi appears to have a charisma power that most people can tap into to visualize outcomes. It isn't even necessarily supernatural... just power of will.
Old 2007-03-17, 23:21   Link #599
leofish
Mia 'cova

every ep continutes to exceed my expectation. when it's over.. waiting for 13 on the DVD is gonna be horrendous if not impossible D:

anyways... new manabi wallpaper... massugu GO!

leofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-18, 12:21   Link #600
eggplant
Eggplant

Saw Episode 11.
Spoiler for Episode 11:

Yuri de yuri de yuriyuri ne!--Tsunomoto Rein

eggplant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, drama, school life, seinen, ufotable