AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

View Poll Results: Claymore - Episode 16 Rating
Perfect 10 47 26.86%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 69 39.43%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 45 25.71%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 5.14%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.14%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.57%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 1.14%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-07-19, 02:51   Link #181
saravis

Most women assume power in a relationship, even I as a guy can admit that.
Old 2007-07-19, 03:00   Link #182
Bloodseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira_Naruto View Post
Priscilla is a naive girl.. Clare repeating the very same mistake as she did in this episode.. and if its wasn't for Galatea, she's an Awaken One now as well...

Would you mind explaining which part of her personality that bothers you? She hates Youma because her father was eaten by a youma who then eat her siblings (after shapeshifthing into the father's persona) in front of her, and her low fighting skill is due to her inexperience and young claymore status..
Priscilla was young, but she wasn't so young that she should still be seeing the world in black and white like that. I'm not saying the teenagers aren't usually somewhat naive, I know I was (despite thinking that I was some kind of exception to the rule and rolling my eyes at it at the time), but kids usually start thinking for themselves, viewing the world in different shades of gray somewhat, and realizing that authority and society is human too and therefor isn't always right and good right around the time that they hit puberty, at least when they're not sheltered and brought up in a protected environment that encourages that kind of thinking. Priscilla was old enough that she should have had the mental maturity to take the kind of hint that Teresa dropped and figure out that maybe there was more to the situation than she had been told. Its not like she was a loli. (of course, Teresa suffered from the common anime character issue of not being able to be straight forward and spell things out when she needs to... if she had told her the circumstances, Priscilla's stupid ideals would have been shaken up)

But my biggest problem with her is just how cheap she was. That was no way for Teresa to die.
Old 2007-07-19, 03:13   Link #183
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Naiveity(<- a word?) goes a long way, my friend

I think you just pissed off at her because of her cheap shot way to beat Theresa
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2007-07-19, 03:28   Link #184
Amirali
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Amirali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinematics View Post
The fact that she can control her opponent's yoki at all (even if only slight nudges) is devastating when used subtly. She was just showing off, here, and got called on it. Plus she said she had one other ace up her sleeve, which was that her power scaled up faster than any other Claymore. In other words, she's more efficient at converting raw yoki into raw power. She's certainly not one to be taken lightly.
It reminds me of the fight between fab four and the male awakened being back in eps 10-11. Miria tried to save her power up (phantom mirage) for the killing blow, to maintain advantage of surprise. Given that Galatea's other combat skills are so high, that would probably be her best chance as well. Wear down enemy with other abilities as much as possible, and then use her manipulation at a crucial moment to get the kill. She gave away that ace in her sleeve early on (yoki manipulation seems pretty useless once the enemy catches onto it) , but maybe she has some other, even more powerful surprise?

As for a deal between awakened ones and the organization..........instead of convincing AOs to eat non-human flesh (fat chance), why not just feed them all the prisoners on death row for crimes like murder and rape? Would keep everyone happy.

Last edited by Amirali; 2007-07-19 at 03:38.
Old 2007-07-19, 03:35   Link #185
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Don't think we should knock the generation too badly. Noel and Sophia were both in the top 5 and didn't have mindblowing special abilities. Teresa, Priscilla, and Irene certainly had some really great skills. We haven't seen all that this generation has yet so maybe we should hold back a bit. Besides Galatea's ability is pretty useful if the opponent isn't smart enough to figure out how do get around it.
Agreed. Noelle probably wouldn't have been able to do much more than scratching Duff. And Sophia would be dead, since they're both the gorilla type, but Duff is much, much better at it.

And even if someone figures out Galatea's ability... It still means he has to go all out for each and every blow. That means a big mental strain, and no little feints, no quick jabs... Well, those don't seem to be Duff's style anyway, but it could be more annoying depending on the opponent type.
Old 2007-07-19, 03:45   Link #186
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Her other surprise is that she hold the youma capacity the highest among the claymores.. but she hates being ugly, so thats why she uses the manipulation instead.. I mean, if she was to face Dauf alone.. I dont think Dauf is capable of knowing the secret himself ^^
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2007-07-19, 03:48   Link #187
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcannis View Post
As for Galatea having the exact same power as Clare (and Theresa), I don't think so. If she did, wouldn't she be higher than 3? From the way Irena explained how it all worked, it sounded like that really was Theresa's only major ability and that it was more than sufficient to make her #1, with her high yoki level just being icing.
Yes and no. Her gimmick was her reading of yoki to predict moves. But she also had 99% of Irene's speed, 99% of Noelle's agility, and 99% of Sophia's strength. It's all that that gave her the Number 1 spot.

I agree that Galatea's ability work in different ways, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirali1985 View Post
It reminds me of the fight between fab four and the male awakened being back in eps 10-11. Miria tried to save her power up (phantom mirage) for the killing blow, to maintain advantage of surprise. Given that Galatea's other combat skills are so high, that would probably be her best chance as well. Wear down enemy with other abilities as much as possible, and then use her manipulation at a crucial moment to get the kill. She gave away that ace in her sleeve early on (yoki manipulation seems pretty useless once the enemy catches onto it) , but maybe she has some other, even more powerful surprise?
Galatea used her ability early because it relies on the mental state of the opponent. He has to be unsure of himself for it to work most effectively. So first you start with taunts and attitude to make him doubt, then you make him miss to further confuse him. And by then he's dancing in the palm of your hand. The more he misses, the more you control him. The more you control him, the more he misses.

Quote:
As for a deal between awakened ones and the organization..........instead of convincing AOs to eat non-human flesh (fat chance), why not just feed them all the prisoners on death row for crimes like murder and rape? Would keep everyone happy.
Not enough of them? Besides, if you start doing that, you'll soon have a rebellion on your hands, when you try to convince the populace that a spitting on the ground is a crime grave enough to deserve being fed to the youmas, but that being a nobleman exercising his "prerogatives" on peasant women isn't.
Old 2007-07-19, 03:52   Link #188
WarzoneCommand
Blattering Anime Freak

Great episode and Galatea is realy cool

After I watched I continued reading the manga, there were 2 things that cought my attention though. One being that in the anime Galatea was a lot more condesending towards Clare; for example the part where she told clare about Riful being the true boss around there; "Even you should be able to sense it" in the manga a line alike "You are pretty good at sensing Yoma, aren't you ? You should be able to sense it" apeared. There was an other line like that which gave me the Idea the manga Galatea seemed to be more interesting in clare as a person. I'm wondering what will come of it. ( Or maybe I'm just nitpicking on this )

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2007-07-23 at 02:44. Reason: spoiler deleted
Old 2007-07-19, 04:24   Link #189
herbert

Quote:
It is not that easy. First of all how can you convince AB only eat what you give to them? So far, ABs seem to be proud and believing in their power. Hard to believe they like to be fed as pets to make peace with mankind. As for the food preference, they like human's entails more than anything else, but it does not mean all human are same to them. It is safe to assume their preference is similiar to Yumo, so they prefer soft flesh to tough meat, prefer youth to elder, prefer female to male. If ABs believe they can wander freely and get their favorite food, why bother to eat those criminals who are most likely to be tasteless middle-aged men.
Old 2007-07-19, 04:28   Link #190
IMSabbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodseeker View Post
Priscilla could trade bodies with Mikuru and she'd still suck ass.

Well, I might have to give her a little leniency then, but you get the idea.

Priscilla's problem is her personality and low fighting tactics. If Ophelia was any indication, they retain most of their personality after awakening. Priscilla might have grown up a little since then, but she's still going to be cheap.
Because of the singly cheap shot at theresa?
Arent you forgetting that she was more chivalric about the fight to begin with?

You could easily say the same (low tactics, cheap) about irene&co, because they planned her to backstab theresa out of "stealth mode".
Old 2007-07-19, 04:30   Link #191
Amirali
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Amirali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post

Galatea used her ability early because it relies on the mental state of the opponent. He has to be unsure of himself for it to work most effectively. So first you start with taunts and attitude to make him doubt, then you make him miss to further confuse him. And by then he's dancing in the palm of your hand. The more he misses, the more you control him. The more you control him, the more he misses.
Yeah, that makes sense when I think about it. In another context against a smarter enemy, I still think Galatea might try and hold the yoki manipulation back for a crucial moment. A smart Awakened Being would adjust to her techniques after some initial difficulty, rather than fall apart emotionally like Dauf did. Against a high level opponent (high level in terms of intellect, not necessarily power) , she won't get more than a few successful manipulations in, which is why she has to make them count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Not enough of them? Besides, if you start doing that, you'll soon have a rebellion on your hands, when you try to convince the populace that a spitting on the ground is a crime grave enough to deserve being fed to the youmas, but that being a nobleman exercising his "prerogatives" on peasant women isn't.
We've had a lot of discussions on population of the Claymore world. If even a few thousand people are arrested for major crimes in that whole world every year , thats more than enough to bribe the Abyssals and highlevel AOs. In a whole continent, you could probably even find enough female and youth prisoners to satisfy the handful of AOs in existence. I am NOT suggesting they feed the yomas as well; that would be too much of a strain.......Claymores can easily handle those.

As far as a rebellion against feeding prisoners to yoma............well, its surprising how much injustice goes on in a medieval society. For instance, bonded labour still goes on in some societies today. A landlord gives a poor peasant a loan at exorbitant rates, cooks up some books and makes the guy work the whole of his life at slashed rates just to keep up with his debt servicing. Then when he dies, his children have to take up that bonded labour also. I could also give examples of honour killings, where women are executed in a few backward countries, for the mere suspicion of being friendly with a strange man. Right in the Claymore universe, you have the Org treating the Claymores like dirt. No rebellions have started against any of these miscarraiges of justice

Compared to that, I don't think its that offensive to feed highlevel criminals (murderers and rapists) to Awakened Ones.........I'm sure that a segment of population even in today's times would agree such people deserve to be eaten. The only problem I see with the idea is that the Awakened Ones have a inherently dismissive attitude of humanity , like herbert points out..........just giving them food as tribute wouldn't stop them from taking what they want, when they want.
Old 2007-07-19, 04:33   Link #192
IMSabbel

Quote:
Well well, you can look at the early volumes of berserk for what happens in such a scenario (the snake-apostel baron did exactly the same, until they ran out of prisoners).

Not pretty, and definitivly more evil.
Old 2007-07-19, 04:36   Link #193
corkii

Send a message via MSN to corkii
Wonderful episode, gave it a 10 (dont i always?)

btw, did anyone think that dauf/duff sounded more 'un-dumb' when galatea sliced the little jaw-joint on his face? well to me he sounded a tad smarter and a tiny bit faster
Old 2007-07-19, 05:32   Link #194
potchip

Quote:
The main problem with that argument is: There's absolutely no point for the org to do that out of self interest.
That idea involves, mostly likely the org to admit 'oops, we made those claymores which in turn became bigger nastier AOs and sorry, you ordinary folks who used to pay us to kill smallfry yomas now gotta just cop it, tough!'

Not going to work...The org is powerful from the money it collects and the monopoly it controls in the perception that only they can deal with monsters. To say 'hey, let's negotiate' is like writing off the organisation's whole reason of existence.
Old 2007-07-19, 05:36   Link #195
Scep
commands you to...!
*Artist

Interesting episode. Sadly from the episode preview jean has awakened, and i don't forsee an AO being clare's ally. Galatea seems a little weak if you ask me, but theres the possibility that her yoki powers also increase her ability to manipulate her opponent's yoki. When a number 3 and the main character can't take down a "grunt", though, i can't imagine the strength of riful. I dont see riful letting them leave the place easily.
Old 2007-07-19, 05:40   Link #196
EoT
~~

Awesome episode.

Is the person who does Galatea's voice the same voice as the girl from Kiba who had red hair and was obsessed with Noa? it sounds alot like her
Old 2007-07-19, 05:43   Link #197
ArmisaelXVIII

May be Awakened Ones won't accept to be feed by humans. But that depends of the approach. They can make sacrifices to the Awakened Ones as if they were gods, but I don't think ABs in general were as vain as let their ego get high fot that. The other one is simply, send the sacrifice directly to the AB lair. As happened with the male AB that killed the claymores were sent to him, they'll just eat what is sent to them.

Probably AB would be able to eat anythin, at least they won't die poisoned for eating an apple. But It's organisms may reject to asimilate it, or may asimilate but since it don't cover their needs they would probable became weaker o ill. I'd be quite the same as trying to feed a crocodiles with vegetables.

Btw, The teacher of a friend of mine that is studying chemistry once said, referring to eating meat, that the closer that the proteins of that meat is to the proteins of your own flesh, it's better to assimilate. So they need flesh of a specie near to themselves and cannibalism would be an option too.

Anh_Minh
Noel's Ability was to have a lot of brute strength. It's said by Irene that Noel's strength is greater than Teresa's. Noel may be able to take on that skin by Brute Strength. And Galatea's Abilities doesn't seem specifically oriented to fight even though she is strong.

Still Teresa's Generation seems a bit "boring", comparing to new claymores. (As phamtom Miria, or what could be the ability of jean). But it seems that even if Teresa's Generation don't have special tricks they are more well rounded, but we didn't get to see it. Thanks Priscilla ¬¬
Old 2007-07-19, 05:44   Link #198
faustianideals
Disabled By Request

I gave it a 10, the fight scenes were very fun to watch, especially when Claire got too cocky and Duff messed her leg/ankle up. Did it look like Jeane awakened? I mean whatever was coming out of her body is proof enough, but what if she just goes back like Claire has been able to? I know Galatea could just take Jeane's yoki down to reasonable levels, but eh, they are away from one another.
Old 2007-07-19, 07:24   Link #199
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptileex View Post
Interesting episode. Sadly from the episode preview jean has awakened, and i don't forsee an AO being clare's ally. Galatea seems a little weak if you ask me, but theres the possibility that her yoki powers also increase her ability to manipulate her opponent's yoki. When a number 3 and the main character can't take down a "grunt", though, i can't imagine the strength of riful. I dont see riful letting them leave the place easily.
that is what happens when your whole reputation kinda depends on your trump ability card ~ but she did say that when she releases her yoki that her powers are above the top seeds so her rank clearly isnt just for show...she doesnt use it often because it makes her look ugly (and i agree...dont use it! >_<) ~ loli chan is considered the strongest (or rather equal top strongest) awakened to have ever existed so she isnt going to be going down with mare tricks...unlike the big guy over there who has the brain size of a nut and yea it seems like it is game over for jean :/ but maybe she can fight loli chan in her awakened form :O

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-07-19, 07:45   Link #200
HinaThePrince

Not a bad episode, I suppose. The art was terrible at times, but the pacing was good and it was fun to watch. But one thing that really irks me is the HUGE amount of dialogues they omitted - most of them were really important, too. The explanation about Galatea's power, the relationship between the man of the north and Priscilla, Riful explaining why humans suck - just a small section of the parts they omitted. What the hell. |:

Spoiler for image:
Closed Thread