AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-07-06, 16:45   Link #21
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Yes, Agatha Christie died about 8 years ago if memory serves me right. Such a loss too.

A very interesting side note in regards to that is that she wrote books right up until she died and actually had specially written several books that were set away in a safe for the day she died. She didn't want anyone else picking up the series and butchering her dearly loved charecters, so all of these books effectively closed out the entire agatha christie line of mystery novels so that there can never be anymore written ever again. Personally, I'm glad because nobody can top her.
Old 2004-07-06, 16:49   Link #22
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
Yes, Agatha Christie died about 8 years ago if memory serves me right. Such a loss too.
1976 according to the biography at the end of the episode.
Old 2004-07-06, 16:53   Link #23
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Oh? Was it? I didn't think it was that long ago. Maybe I'm thinking of someone else then who died about 8 years ago. Hmm.

Last edited by Lord Raiden; 2004-07-07 at 09:32.
Old 2004-07-06, 22:42   Link #24
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish
Still, what I don't understand is how they are ever (as people have suggested so far?) going to stick to the plot in the books if both Poirot and Marple are in the same "story" -- as such an occurrence never actually happened to my knowledge.
I'm probably wrong on this, but i recall one of the books has both of them where they both end up on the same case accidentally. Iirc, there was one crossover book, but I cant remember which detectives. And from what I saw, they are basically turning some of the books into animes.
As far as licensing the series goes, I am not sure if they will because of the Live action dramas that air on A&E of most of the Poirot books.
Old 2004-07-07, 01:58   Link #25
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
What is a "kanji thingy"?

Venessa is a character that probably won't be in future episodes, since I expect the mysteries to take place in different locations each time. I doubt a maid from this one will show up elsewhere. The seiyuu may of course do other parts. She'll probably be hard to identify unless someone can read the credits.

EDIT: Found her in the credits. Anyone recognive the kanji?

Vanessa voiced by NEYA Michiko. For those lazy to read, she did...

Ayaka in Gravion Zwei, Satella in Chrno Crusade, Noriko in Dai Guard, Mogu in Fancy Lala, Melissa Mao in FMP, Riza Hawkeye in FMA, Rally in Gunsmith Cats, Mako Sato in Initial D, Natsumi Hayama in Kodomo no Omocha OAV, Delphine-sama in Last Exile, Honey Kisaragi in New Cutey Honey OAV, Tsubaki Oribe in Onegai Twins, Natsuki in Pia Carrot movie, Akiko in Piano, Barnette in Vandread, Chie in You're Under Arrest.

Prominent VAs can do some minor roles if they wanted to, really...

Thanks, Tron!
Old 2004-07-07, 07:11   Link #26
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
I finally sat down and watched the first episode. I have to say, the animation is done superbly. While it may not be GONZO, it does what it needs to do to bring the story across with consistent art and animation. The story seemed a little too predictable, but maybe the target audience wouldn't think that way. All in all, a very enjoyable half hour.
Old 2004-07-07, 11:33   Link #27
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
Vanessa voiced by NEYA Michiko. For those lazy to read, she did...

Thanks, Tron!
Thank you. I was curious where I heard the voice. How did you take the kanji in the picture and find who it was?
Old 2004-07-08, 04:26   Link #28
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
Thank you. I was curious where I heard the voice. How did you take the kanji in the picture and find who it was?
Well, I recognize kanji fairly easily (thanks to learning Chinese), and I know that the surname was the kanji for "root" and "valley". So it could be "Netani" or "Nedani" or "Neya"... Anyway I know how to type the words in Japanese, looked through the incredibly helpful WWWJDIC to confirm. Yes, the surname can only start with "Ne"...
I also know somehow that the name kanji were "Michiko" (I've seen it before; it's also the Princess of Japan's name or something like that. Or was it the Empress? Yeeks.). To check if there were alternate readings I put it in WWWJDIC again and no, it's just Michiko.

So I just looked under "Michiko" in the also inredibly helpful ANN encyclopedia, and there was only one Michiko whose surname started with "Ne" and "Neya" fit the bill, so there you go. The page on ANN for her confirmed it because it had the kanji for the name.

I've got a bit of experience with this, looking up the seiyuus for all sorts of other characters in Melody of Oblivion from the credits...
Old 2004-07-08, 11:56   Link #29
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
Well, I recognize kanji fairly easily (thanks to learning Chinese)
Oh. You cheated.

That web dictionary is good stuff, I'll bookmark that one. I needed to find an online kanji dictionary. THanks again.
Old 2004-07-08, 14:01   Link #30
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

*drums fingers on desk*

Still waiting patiently for the first fansub. Plus, I know that if I'm getting overly anxious, my mother has to be just about totally climbing the wall waiting on this. For the meantime I'm pacifying her with a couple episodes of Kanon. But either way, after seeing the raw I'm eger to see the sub of this. hehe.
Old 2004-07-13, 09:21   Link #31
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Minor update to this. The number of episodes for this series has been reduced from 52 to 39 officially per AnimeNFO and AnimeDB.

http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,1..._christie.html

http://anidb.ath.cx/perl-bin/animedb...&do.search.y=0

While it's a bummer that they're cutting it back to 39 episodes, it will still be a great series.
Old 2004-07-15, 18:07   Link #32
ommseti

They could probably pull it off very nicely if they use the same format as Ayatsuri Sakon. I look forward to seeing it!
Old 2004-07-19, 00:52   Link #33
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Raw #2 is out and available for those who can't wait for this series to be subbed. Personally, I'm bummed nobody's picked it up yet. My poor mom is climbing the walls waiting on this anime. So am I.
Old 2004-07-19, 05:21   Link #34
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
Personally, I'm bummed nobody's picked it up yet. My poor mom is climbing the walls waiting on this anime. So am I.
I saw the first ep, and this show personally disappointed me. It really did not seem to be like Agatha Christie but more like Detective Conan with a girl. I would have considered trying to do it... but it sucked too hard imo.
Old 2004-07-19, 11:45   Link #35
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

True, nothing can top A&E live version of the books, but I really liked this one so far. It's been very enjoyable. Well, what I understood of the dialogue anyways. Of course my knowledge of the books helped me get past that a lot too.
Old 2004-07-20, 11:25   Link #36
Secca
nya`
*Artist

I think the animation is well done, it's just missing something small, they are talking in japanese. ^^

I've been reading Agatha Christie novels in english, and always envision Poirot as an English gentleman. It's kinda strange to see him talking in japanese. But I think I can get use to it no problem. Already to episode 2 and me like Mable's resolution. ^^

I wished we can see more Miss Marple tho. ^^ or maybe alternate episode. ^^
Old 2004-07-21, 01:26   Link #37
wraith985

Send a message via AIM to wraith985
I'm not guaranteeing anything, but the idea's been kicked around and we may be thinking of maybe possibly perchance plausibly picking up this series...

I hear it's a good show, and if we do decide to do it I'm looking forward to it.
Old 2004-07-21, 11:19   Link #38
TronDD
Team the box!

I hope you do pick it up. You guys do a good job.
Old 2004-07-21, 12:44   Link #39
kuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraith985
I'm not guaranteeing anything, but the idea's been kicked around and we may be thinking of maybe possibly perchance plausibly picking up this series...

I hear it's a good show, and if we do decide to do it I'm looking forward to it.
Please do it.

I hope at least you won't come lately saying "I'm sorry but we decided to do Soukyuu no Fafner instead"
Old 2004-07-21, 16:58   Link #40
wraith985

Send a message via AIM to wraith985
No chance of Fafner...no way :P
Closed Thread