Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-06-16, 15:51   Link #21
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by antediluvian View Post
homosexual is named Alan Scott. He had a weakness to wood
Man, sometimes I wonder if this bloopers are intentional, reminds the case about batman's boner
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-16, 16:10   Link #22
antediluvian
Before the Deluge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
Man, sometimes I wonder if this bloopers are intentional, reminds the case about batman's boner
You might think so, but they're more methodical than that. His weakness to wood was removed years ago. His character is now the Green Lantern whose power is derived from the Starheart, source of the universe's magic. It's a little convoluted.
antediluvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-17, 09:22   Link #23
jdennis007

I am aware of what is going on in the world of comic books. My post was more of a commentary on how low DC will go for sales. I am aware that rather than take an established character and have them "come out of the closet" they instead created a whole new one just to have them be gay. A company like that could easily then put that character in the JLA movie just to get the gay community to support the movie.
jdennis007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-17, 09:32   Link #24
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdennis007 View Post
I am aware that rather than take an established character and have them "come out of the closet" they instead created a whole new one just to have them be gay.
...What? Alan Scott is an incredibly established hero. What makes you think they just created him?
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-17, 10:39   Link #25
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
...What? Alan Scott is an incredibly established hero. What makes you think they just created him?
I think jdennis007 is referring more to the fact that Alan Scott had been a very heterosexual character in the past (married twice and has had at least 2 kids that are now in Limbo since the New 52 recast the world), but is now suddenly homosexual for no other reason than the current DC universe has been completely rewritten and the creators/publicists wanted some named gay characters.

As it is, Alan Scott would never be in a Justice League movie. Justice Society, yes. But not Justice League. .

That being said, this discussion has little to do with the Avengers or Joss Whedon's film.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-17, 14:16   Link #26
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
That being said, this discussion has little to do with the Avengers or Joss Whedon's film.
Time for a new thread? JL movie is now official anyway .
Old 2012-06-17, 14:54   Link #27
Xagzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Time for a new thread? JL movie is now official anyway .
Don't remind me. Well, to clarify, I hear Warner might be planning to just jump right into a JL movie and do the individuals after. That would be an utterly stupid failure. If Avengers had just gone right to the team flick without establishing its characters beforehand through multiple movies, without building towards the big team up all along, it wouldn't have worked at all.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-17, 16:13   Link #28
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
Don't remind me. Well, to clarify, I hear Warner might be planning to just jump right into a JL movie and do the individuals after. That would be an utterly stupid failure. If Avengers had just gone right to the team flick without establishing its characters beforehand through multiple movies, without building towards the big team up all along, it wouldn't have worked at all.
As much as I find the idea silly, there is but a glimmer of hope that direct JL movie might succeed IF they start it with just Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman coz everybody already know who they are (maybe not much on Wonder Woman but she's still famous, even more than Catwoman).

The problem is, how will they merge the universe(s) of the Big-3 (One live in pseudo real world, one in high-scifi world, and one in mythological world)? You can do that in comic & cartoons, but live action will be more complicated than that.
Old 2012-06-17, 17:01   Link #29
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
As much as I find the idea silly, there is but a glimmer of hope that direct JL movie might succeed IF they start it with just Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman coz everybody already know who they are (maybe not much on Wonder Woman but she's still famous, even more than Catwoman).

The problem is, how will they merge the universe(s) of the Big-3 (One live in pseudo real world, one in high-scifi world, and one in mythological world)? You can do that in comic & cartoons, but live action will be more complicated than that.
Popularity aside, Wonder Woman would still need her own movie. She's a core JL member. It would also be nice to see Green Lantern get a proper film as well. I haven't seen the one that was released last year, but I've heard it wasn't particularly good. Aquaman would need a good movie too. You could argue so would Flash.

To your second point, the rebooted Batman franchise would have to incorporate supernatural elements and/or give a subtle nod to next year's Superman movie.

Personally, I think there are just too many moving parts for it to work.
Old 2012-06-17, 17:07   Link #30
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

It is odd how things turnaround. Back in the 60s when the Justice League comics were selling like hot pancakes a small enterprise was created to sell a similar product, the fantastic four and the avengers comics (with heroes from the golden age like the human torch & captain america). Now it is the other way around, the HUGE success of the avengers movie makes DC think about a live action Justice League movie, which they clearly they had no plans since neither the Superman, Batman or Green Lantern movies have any hooks about said group (which BTW, the superboy TV series did had).

Last edited by mangamuscle; 2012-06-17 at 19:43.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-17, 19:41   Link #31
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

I wonder if DC is better off just using Smallville as the basis for the JL film...
Old 2012-06-17, 20:28   Link #32
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

That would be....interesting. I suppose.

I'd just go with the existing Timm based "Justice League" or "Justice League Unlimited" and just find actors that can fill in those roles as scripted.
Old 2012-06-17, 20:35   Link #33
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I'd just go with the existing Timm based "Justice League" or "Justice League Unlimited" and just find actors that can fill in those roles as scripted.
That, I agree very much. Building each minor character with his/her own movie may not be viable for the Warner's executive right now. This direct JL movie will be a big gamble anyway. Even a bigger gamble than Avengers.
Old 2012-06-17, 21:19   Link #34
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
That, I agree very much. Building each minor character with his/her own movie may not be viable for the Warner's executive right now. This direct JL movie will be a big gamble anyway. Even a bigger gamble than Avengers.
The problem here, is that not all gambles are equal. DC has not improved their odds of success by laying a solid foundation. There is no such thing as a cheap blockbuster movie, so we have a lot of money on the line... Yet this feels like a desperate attempt to make something stick, with no serious faith that it could actually work.

I guess what I am saying, is that DC is setting themselves up for failure. They are not even truly trying.
Old 2012-06-17, 21:48   Link #35
james0246

^To be fair, unlike marvel who has only really covered the X-Men and Spiderman, there have been quite a few DC films and television series (both animated and live action) dedicated to several of the characters that would appear in a potential Justice League film. Superman and Batman have been well covered (we do not need any setup of their characters). Green Lantern has had a recent live action film (plus an animated one and a recent series). And Wonder Woman and the Flash have both had older live action television series (they could use an update). Besides Aquaman and Martian Manhunter (who could be introduced in the film) most of the producers bases have been covered even if none of the previous films will be part of the newest films canon.

Additionally, the main selling point for the film would be the size and power of the fighters. One of the complaints from comic book fans over the Avengers film (and the movie universe) is how weak the characters are compared to their comic book counterparts. With a Superman/Justice League movie, though, you are forced to have fights were entire mountains can be destroyed in a single punch. So, the action, which is always a huge selling point, will have to be astronomical in scope and scale. And that will attract the average viewer (most of the time).

That is not to say that I wouldn't prefer some build up (the whole 1 solid film for a solid foundation thing makes some sense), but I do not think it is necessarily needed considering how famous these characters already are.

That being said, as soon as I get to a regular computer I will cut these posts out and start a new thread.

Last edited by james0246; 2012-06-17 at 23:11.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-17, 22:17   Link #36
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Please do. Justice League could be as interesting as the Avengers...if handled well.

The cartoon buildup was simply Batman (based loosely on the 1989 film) and later Superman. The other characters sometimes were introduced on a episode of one or the other's show, but up until Justice League, most of them had not had any screentime.

Even to the end, in that universe the core was always Batman in terms of storytelling and structure. If you make what is generally the weakest member the star and make him basically able to match any of the heroes with superpowers at at least some level....what can you lose?

If one follows an Avengers like route: They need a new Batman (that is coming already it seems). They need a new Superman (that is coming already). Everyone else can be introduced either in the JL film, or in one of the other two's sequel films before the actual JL film happens.

Most of the major players in the JL simply have a hard time showing a origins tale story and making it interesting and nearly 2 hours long. Most can handle telling it in a half hour show or maybe an hour show. But a feature film? Not many have enough excitement to warrent that treatment while also being ready for a setup for a JL film.

Also it depends on just how they decide to structure the League. There is usually the main seven...but Aquaman is usually treated as a joke in fandom and Martian Manhunter tends to be underused. Martian Manhunter always remains even if he only stays at base coordinating actions....Aquaman is generally a variable. The Timm version replaced him with Hawkgirl for various reasons. Of course they also replaced Kyle Rayner with John Stewart as Green Lantern.

The rest of the League is entirely variable based on who might be popular and who might fit the story best. Green Arrow and Black Canary, for example, were fairly popular.
Old 2012-06-17, 22:27   Link #37
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Villains Now:

Joker is the only logical choice as Leader of the IN-Justice League, as even Lex Luthor has standards and lines that he will not cross.

And as Heath Ledger had gone to Heaven already.... Oh GROAN....

Along comes conga-line of weak-half-assed imitations that try to imitate his performance but fail miserably for being too hammy....

It's going to be Batman and Robin ALL OVER AGAIN.

Oh GROAN.
Old 2012-06-17, 22:35   Link #38
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Traditionally you don't start with one of those. You start with some sort of alien invasion or something that requires all the heroes to join forces. Most threats are local for these superheroes. Sure they can be called on to save the world, but usually they are just saving one city. Unless you are Superman, but that's because he's Superman.

And what you are looking for is the old Leagion of Doom from Superfriends. The 1970s campy version of the Justice League.
Old 2012-06-17, 22:48   Link #39
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

As a villain, Brainiac is a given, I think. But I'm not sure either .
Old 2012-06-18, 00:03   Link #40
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

I think they would be better off making a Teen Titans or Titans film with supporting characters like Batman and Superman Wonderwoman and Martian Man Hunter that would later lead on to a Justice League movie.