AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

View Poll Results: Hayate no Gotoku!! (2nd Season) - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 53 68.83%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 17 22.08%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 4 5.19%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 3.90%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-21, 18:50   Link #41
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Haha, I agree with Traece. This was a great episode, and I definitely can't wait for the next.
Old 2009-06-21, 19:25   Link #42
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Loved it! From Meer cosplay to the updated gundam reference to the singing, it was aboslutely terrific. A Hina fan like me is ecstatic.

I do find it quite odd that Hina arc ends at eps 13, exactly at one cour. Coincidence, or a change of focus (and ED) coming the episode after? We can only wait and see.
Old 2009-06-21, 19:41   Link #43
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
I do find it quite odd that Hina arc ends at eps 13, exactly at one cour. Coincidence, or a change of focus (and ED) coming the episode after? We can only wait and see.
It's definitely no coincidence. They also restructured the DVD releases in a somewhat unusual way specifically so that the first 13 episodes would be on 5 discs that end at episode 13. And in fact, early indications do suggest that the rest of what you suggested will likely be true as well -- shift in focus, change in ED, etc. But actually, the original Hayate anime also tended to have arcs that wrapped up right around the anime season breaks, so it's not exactly new either. But in any case, it all seems to be completely intentional.
Old 2009-06-21, 21:03   Link #44
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ

Oh my, if I had known Hina was going to sing I would have prepared myself more properly for the occasion.

Anyways, it was a stellar build-up episode, doing a splendid job at it's purpose. Kotetsu really is an interesting person, and I have to wonder whether he or the SPs are more useless overall. I hope he doesn't become fodder for even the minor characters to eat like Himuro and Azumamiya, though that doesn't seem to be the case according to the spoilers in this topic. A character who I wouldn't mind becoming minor fodder though is Nagi herself. I'm just not too fond of the girl, and it's even worse when her blind and one sided love is now getting in the way on the true developments for Hayate. Go back to being the Index of this show twin tails, it makes for a more entertaining show overall. Sorry to all those Nagi fans out there, but to each their own. Though I do have to admit that her being such a detestable kidnapee was quite amusing.

So on to the main event, the Hina concert. Points for cosplay! Points for singing Cruel Angel Thesis! Points for syncing it along with Hayate's little running montage, which was epic in its own strange way. I was choking on my drink though when Hayate ended up forgetting about his promise to Hina thanks to twintails, but he pulled through in the end, and now it seems like the stage is set for some mind-blowing revelations next week. I won't lie, I'm quite excited, and not knowing what's going to happen is a huge plus as well.

Other minor points... I'm really starting to take a shine to both Wataru and Sakuya. They work not just together, but as stand alone characters, and I have no idea why it took this long for me to realize this. They need more screentime.

Speaking of which, am I the only one who misses Wakamoto's more prominent role in the first season?

Last edited by Tamad; 2009-06-21 at 21:31.
Old 2009-06-21, 21:28   Link #45
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamad View Post
Speaking of which, am I the only one who miss Wakamoto's more prominent role in the first season?
As someone who misses many things from the first season, you're hardly the only one.
Old 2009-06-21, 22:02   Link #46
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
It's definitely no coincidence. They also restructured the DVD releases in a somewhat unusual way specifically so that the first 13 episodes would be on 5 discs that end at episode 13. And in fact, early indications do suggest that the rest of what you suggested will likely be true as well -- shift in focus, change in ED, etc. But actually, the original Hayate anime also tended to have arcs that wrapped up right around the anime season breaks, so it's not exactly new either. But in any case, it all seems to be completely intentional.
Don't a lot of series have "mini-finales" at each (or some) cour mark, or at around halfway through the series? Be it just ending an arc there or something more significant.
Old 2009-06-21, 22:49   Link #47
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Wow, I can't believe they animated her singing.

I'm not even a fan of Hina (there's so many more interesting characters in this show) but she definintely had me swaying back and forth during her concert.

Mimicking the opening for Cruel Angel was great too.

Lastly, I could listen to Segawa talk all day. The way she said Ayasake Hayate fucking killed me somehow (I'm serious, I must have looped those 2 seconds 50 times over).

SHE WILL RUIN ME IN THE FUTURE I CAN SEE IT HAPPENING.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2009-06-21, 22:57   Link #48
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Don't a lot of series have "mini-finales" at each (or some) cour mark, or at around halfway through the series? Be it just ending an arc there or something more significant.
It doesn't always happen of course, but that can often be the case. There could be a lot of reasons for this, but one I can think of is that they know that people will have their interest tugged in many directions as new shows come on the market in the new season. So, having a strong showing at around this stage encourages viewers to stick with the show for the next half, rather than giving up and trying something else. It's all part of the natural writing pattern of putting the best parts at the beginning and the end, because people will tend to forget the middle. I guess that anime writers have probably also gotten used to the 12/13 episode pattern when planning their stories, so they pace things accordingly.

So anyway, yeah, I think you're right. That being said, it seems especially pronounced in this case. We'll see...
Old 2009-06-21, 22:59   Link #49
Master Chibi

Athena arc please~

Old 2009-06-21, 23:24   Link #50
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

How far is she into the manga?
Old 2009-06-21, 23:25   Link #51
Master Chibi

Chapter 178 I believe.

It's about the only time the series bothers to take itself seriously, so I find it much more interesting and compelling then the harem wheel of fortune deal we usually get.

Old 2009-06-21, 23:31   Link #52
Lvrhina
Akamatsu Fan

Send a message via MSN to Lvrhina
They are focusing on Hina more and more... loving the second season
Old 2009-06-21, 23:33   Link #53
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Wow, that sounds interesting. It doesn't seem like they'll get that far though. Hopefully, it'll be 3rd season material because I want to see it.

JCStaff is doing a wonderful job.
Old 2009-06-21, 23:58   Link #54
qwertyman
Izumi is the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
Chapter 178 I believe.

It's about the only time the series bothers to take itself seriously, so I find it much more interesting and compelling then the harem wheel of fortune deal we usually get.
I feel the opposite.

While I found that arc to be interesting and a nice backstory for Hayate, I prefer the series when it's not taking itself seriously, because that's part of the charm of Hayate that I like.
Old 2009-06-22, 00:24   Link #55
owq

Wow. Lacus Katsura singing EVA song, plus those actions and Hayate in maid costume!

Wow. Grand stuff, that.

And Nagi scolding Kotetsu, that was quite funny. Although I don't really like Nagi sometimes, THAT really scored a lot of points.

Segawa's dam funny.
Old 2009-06-22, 00:32   Link #56
Master Chibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyman View Post
I feel the opposite.

While I found that arc to be interesting and a nice backstory for Hayate, I prefer the series when it's not taking itself seriously, because that's part of the charm of Hayate that I like.
I'll take giving Hayate a backstory and actual character development over playing the naive, clueless, never going to actually go anywhere and do a damn thing with any of the characters no matter what they do / end up in / etc. At this point you could just attach a tape recoder to a cardboard cutout of Hayate and you'd get about the same amount of character out of him.

Old 2009-06-22, 01:44   Link #57
qwertyman
Izumi is the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
I'll take giving Hayate a backstory and actual character development over playing the naive, clueless, never going to actually go anywhere and do a damn thing with any of the characters no matter what they do / end up in / etc. At this point you could just attach a tape recoder to a cardboard cutout of Hayate and you'd get about the same amount of character out of him.
Well, actually...

... I'd like to say something about him and Ayumu, but I don't really want to spoil that much, even with a spoiler tag right now. I'll just say to wait until chapter 157 if you follow the manga.

He'll probably always think Hina actually does hate him because of her overly-tsundereness, and if he were given the chance, I wouldn't be surprised if he did go for Maria (just look at the way Hayate ogles her). So I wouldn't really blame him for doing nothing.

EDIT: And the way I see it, the series is more about the development of the non-Hayate characters than it is for Hayate.

Last edited by qwertyman; 2009-06-22 at 01:56.
Old 2009-06-22, 03:56   Link #58
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
I'm sure that they will show Hina's thoughts while she was waiting for Hayate. It's fairly vital for the conclusion.
They should start episode 13 off showing these thoughts, and then having Hayate arrive just after. That's the only way i can see them going about it.
Old 2009-06-22, 06:42   Link #59
Master Chibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyman View Post
Well, actually...

... I'd like to say something about him and Ayumu, but I don't really want to spoil that much, even with a spoiler tag right now. I'll just say to wait until chapter 157 if you follow the manga.
I follow what's out, but the manga isn't out for that part yet.

Not that I really care for Ayumu either.

Quote:
He'll probably always think Hina actually does hate him because of her overly-tsundereness, and if he were given the chance, I wouldn't be surprised if he did go for Maria (just look at the way Hayate ogles her). So I wouldn't really blame him for doing nothing.
Well at least he actually OGLES her, that shows that something's working.

Quote:
EDIT: And the way I see it, the series is more about the development of the non-Hayate characters than it is for Hayate.
That's precisely why I like the Athena arc / backstory the most.

Old 2009-06-22, 07:20   Link #60
tsunade666

Athen arc would only lead to many different arc being left behind. And I think if they decide to
do it only the flashback memory ogf hayate if they start airing it. They will probably
make a crappy ending like season 1 and I don't want that to happen.
I like saku and ayumu and field trip arc they shouldn't skip it. Plus their are more interesting
arc to come. They should and MUST show it. Its a great plot development.
They could skip the single day to day event but some of it are interesting. But the arc
story are a must.
Closed Thread