AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2012-05-03, 21:31   Link #741
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
Well regardless, it would still make sense to me. The barrier was obviously large and the wolkenritter were not all at the same position. Even if Fate caught note of it, she wouldn't know exactly where to go. Nanoha only caught note of Vita, because Vita was heading in her direction and then attacked her.

Most likely she was with Lindy and I don't think she'd want Fate diving head first into some unknown entity to begin with...
I think they'd be able to tell that it enveloped Nanoha's house. And all they would know was that a barrier went up. It would make sense for Fate to contact Nanoha and arrange for them to meet up, or do some sort of plan. And if Lindy and the Harleowns are there, then it sucks even more for Vita, to come up against Nanoha, Fate, Arf, Lindy, AND Chrono.

And remember, as of A's, Fate is now a Bureau Probationary Mage, and was sent in by Lindy along with Yuuno to find Nanoha. Even if they toss Yuuno out of this movie, we'd still need a reason why Lindy wouldn't change sending Fate to Nanoha.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-03, 21:55   Link #742
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Lindy does send Fate to Nanoha. It's just not a..."Oh no, barrier enveloped Nanohas house you better go dive into it, Fate!" After all, she is there to save Nanoha. Only a handful of minutes delayed.
Old 2012-05-03, 23:59   Link #743
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
It can take one minute for someone to say. "Damn this barrier is incredibly strong...it's gonna take a while to bypass."

Though honestly, there's really no need to rationalize this part. There's many reasons why they can have a delay and trying too hard to justify it would be too hard.

I mean even if the movie starts with Nanoha discovering and engaging Vita and getting help later, the narrative of the story isn't going to change much. No need to overthink. It's not like it's the first time the TSAB has messed up.

It's fairly trivial to place episode 1's events in 10 minutes and have a good fight scene in there, me thinks.

Also, Keroko brings up the interesting point about Nanoha's role has never been that central. This makes it a natural winner to make whatever movie coming after this, whether it be StrikerS based or something completely new to be Nanoha-centric.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 01:07   Link #744
JINNSK
黒猫のウィズやってます

sorry to interrupt.

The latest Magame issue have a short comic about the Anime Contents Expo event.The artist is Hasegawa.(NanoFateHayate in this comic are avatar for the VA casts.)
JINNSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 04:25   Link #745
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
I don't dispute that this is the way it is; but my view is that it shouldn't be this way. Nanoha herself has some interesting backstory in terms of her family and her friends. She's a fairly unique individual, being very mature for her age. It's one of the main things new people I show Nanoha to, show considerable disbelief at. So even though I like that maturity, I would prefer that they actually take some time to show why that is, and then fit in a bit of growth. They kinda did that in StrikerS with Nanoha becoming a mother to Vivio.

It can be about both Nanoha AND Fate. It doesn't have to be about one or the other. A good series will give some good development to all characters, even if they are secondaries; reference Vice in StrikerS.
Oh don't get me wrong, I agree it's a flaw of the series, but it's not one introduced by the movie. The movie merely enhanced the original flaw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
I think they'd be able to tell that it enveloped Nanoha's house. And all they would know was that a barrier went up. It would make sense for Fate to contact Nanoha and arrange for them to meet up, or do some sort of plan. And if Lindy and the Harleowns are there, then it sucks even more for Vita, to come up against Nanoha, Fate, Arf, Lindy, AND Chrono.

And remember, as of A's, Fate is now a Bureau Probationary Mage, and was sent in by Lindy along with Yuuno to find Nanoha. Even if they toss Yuuno out of this movie, we'd still need a reason why Lindy wouldn't change sending Fate to Nanoha.
Again, just say she's outside the barrier and it took a while to bust in.

You're really making a big deal out of a small, easily worked around problem here.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 04:46   Link #746
Mow Yun

Send a message via AIM to Mow Yun
Somehow I have a feeling they will find a way to shaft Hayate (again) and focus on more Fate story

Though I think the dream sequence could be shortened a bit, and that the fights themselves could be rearranged fairly easily while still keeping the overall plot the same. It could be Fate vs. Signum, Vita + Shamal vs. Chrono and Lindy. But I doubt they will give Lindy combat time, she seems like a support type and with how pressed for time the movie seems to be, I don't think showing off her combat ability will be a wise use of movie time.

/tin foil hat

EDIT: As far as I know (I haven't watched all the previews yet), there's nothing that concretely states that the reuinion scene in the movie is actually a current reunion scene. It could be a flashback or one that happened a while back. Trailers are tricky things >:[
Mow Yun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 04:58   Link #747
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

The dream sequence should just be scrapped altogether. It wasn't needed in the series, it isn't needed in a movie already short on precious screentime.
Old 2012-05-04, 05:07   Link #748
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Yeah right, as if Tsuzuki would ever skip any scene belonging to Fate.

How long is the Movie supposed to be again?
Old 2012-05-04, 05:10   Link #749
Elle_White

I think the dream sequence was important in the series for Fate to feel like her own person. She'd been getting used to living her own life, instead just doing what others wanted of her, but she wasn't quite ready to make the final leap and join the Harlaown family. the dream sequence allows her to make that decision. If they cut it out in the movie, and I have a feeling they will, they'll just have her come to that decision in a different way.
Elle_White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 05:20   Link #750
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

The sequence was more fanservice than it was actual development. A glimpse in the "what if Fate was an actual part of the Testarossa family." It added nothing to Fate that the season itself hadn't told us beyond a final goodbye to her family, and ate up almost an entire episode.

I'd have rather the sequence had gone to Hayate (who, mind you, was in a similar dream subspace) and explain some of her backstory. You know, stuff actually relevant to the season.
Old 2012-05-04, 05:34   Link #751
Elle_White

It was their for the purpose of giving her the last push she needed to see herself as an individual and deciding what she wanted out of her life. It was part of her sub-plot throughout season 2. Yes, it would have been good to see Hayate's dream sequence. However, they've she'll will be involved in the incident much more this time around, and Kana Ueda even said she had many speaking lines, so I'm not worried about her being shafted in the movie.
Old 2012-05-04, 05:52   Link #752
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

mm some of you guys are like broken recorders.
Old 2012-05-04, 05:55   Link #753
Elle_White

Huh, do you mean me?
Old 2012-05-04, 05:56   Link #754
ditto526

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle_White View Post
I think the dream sequence was important in the series for Fate to feel like her own person. She'd been getting used to living her own life, instead just doing what others wanted of her, but she wasn't quite ready to make the final leap and join the Harlaown family. the dream sequence allows her to make that decision. If they cut it out in the movie, and I have a feeling they will, they'll just have her come to that decision in a different way.
are you talking about the dream in the first movie or is their going to be one in the second movie
ditto526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 05:58   Link #755
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Huh, do you mean me?
No, and you're relatively new here if I recall. As for some others, they've been repeating the same process for a couple years now. And yeah, I definitely agree with you. It's the same reason I think the scene was important. But some people have the herpderp mentality that it's just fanservice for Fate fans. Alas, I don't see how character development could ever be considered fan service, regardless of the reactions of the fans in question.

@Ditto: she/he was referring to the dream eater sequence in A's.
Old 2012-05-04, 05:58   Link #756
Elle_White

I meant the dream sequence in the original a's. I was just saying that it was necessary Fate's for Fate's sub-plot.
Old 2012-05-04, 06:01   Link #757
Elle_White

Quote:
No, and you're relatively new here if I recall. As for some others, they've been repeating the same process for a couple years now.

@Ditto: she/he was referring to the dream eater sequence in A's.
Yes, I'm very new here, and to the Nanaoha fandom in general. I just wanted to confirm that because I thought I was being a bit repetitive in this thread.
Old 2012-05-04, 06:10   Link #758
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
mm some of you guys are like broken recorders.
Guilty as charged, but then you're not one to talk Demi.

Quote:
I meant the dream sequence in the original a's. I was just saying that it was necessary Fate's for Fate's sub-plot.
It wasn't, really. She'd already decided to live her own life by making friends with Nanoha during the bridge scene. If anything the dream sequence yanked back on that development for the sake of that scene alone. You can cut out the entire dream sequence and nothing would change.

It also disrupted the flow of A's, which had been far more about Hayate in general and the battle arc specifically was all about Hayate, her going berserk and how to stop the book and save her. Then suddenly "here, have an episode devoted to the Fate subplot."

Meanwhile, Hayate's past and motivations were left more vague in the anime, and the later had to be answered by the manga. Had the dream sequence been about Hayate, it would have fit in the theme of the series, the battle and enhanced Hayate's character and motivations.
Old 2012-05-04, 06:19   Link #759
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Guilty as charged, but then you're not one to talk Demi.
Perhaps, but I keep to myself until pandoras box gets opened once more.

Quote:
It wasn't, really. She'd already decided to live her own life by making friends with Nanoha during the bridge scene. If anything the dream sequence yanked back on that development for the sake of that scene alone. You can cut out the entire dream sequence and nothing would change.
It solidified Fate's choice to live in the now rather than brooding over the past. Fate did choose Precia up until the bitter end, and only switched sides after she died. Had precia survived, I have no doubt Fate would have stuck with her. The dream eater sequence shows that through the coarse of her time on the Asura and with her family and friends, she has accepted the life she has now, and chose it over the fake life she always dreamed of. It doesn't have much bearing on the events of the book of darkness, but it's still a sub plot that developes Fate's character even further. And most anime don't have a single focal point.
If I were to be unbiased, I'd say it's likely to get removed due to time constraints of the movie, since I'm sure they will only have time for a single focal point with such short time. But I still think it was one of the most well done scenes in A's.
Old 2012-05-04, 06:26   Link #760
Elle_White

I agree we should have had a dream sequence for Hayate, but I don't think Fate's dream sequence took anything from her development at all. She made the choice to stick the life she had now and move forward completely. Fate had anxieties about the past, including questioning whether or not she was actually human. Her dream sequence showed what she most wanted, but through her time on the Asura and with others in her life, she realized she wanted the imperfect, yet wonderful life with people who cared about her.

She'll still have worries in the movie, but I'm sure they'll play differently. And Hayate will be getting plenty of screen time. The review of the seiyuu have confirmed that.

Last edited by Elle_White; 2012-05-06 at 02:38.