AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2013-07-07, 00:34   Link #281
iamadooddood
NOM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marly View Post
Someone explain to me people's fetish with pregnancy endings.
It's more of if they hadn't promised us pregnancy endings then we wouldn't have talked about them so much. We're simply talking about what was promised and what we actually got.
iamadooddood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 00:39   Link #282
Marly
>AS

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamadooddood View Post
It's more of if they hadn't promised us pregnancy endings then we wouldn't have talked about them so much. We're simply talking about what was promised and what we actually got.
Are you sure it wasn't a mistranslation? Or maybe the information wasn't directly from Sting/Compile Heart, hence the inaccuracy.

Either way, I think the notion of pregnancy endings to be rather , so I'm glad it only stuck with Origami.
Marly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 03:07   Link #283
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Are you sure it wasn't a mistranslation? Or maybe the information wasn't directly from Sting/Compile Heart, hence the inaccuracy.
I saw the actual Japanese promo text that talked about the pregnancy endings way back, although it wasn't actually a promise or anything. Still, that's a pretty significant deal to be stating so specifically.
I was skeptical of it since back then, but I ended up letting my hopes get up a bit in the time up to the game's release. >.>

Quote:
Either way, I think the notion of pregnancy endings to be rather , so I'm glad it only stuck with Origami.
For me, it's more the "they lived their lives together and had a family" aspect that I like about it and the complete feeling of the relationship that comes with it.
I saw so many animes/mangas back in the 90s that ended with "we leave it up to your imagination" endings. They were in love, they confessed to each other, but they didn't do anything definitive. So I like to see definitvely "complete" endings.
Old 2013-07-07, 05:34   Link #284
RapidPotential
Spinning round and round~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
I saw the actual Japanese promo text that talked about the pregnancy endings way back, although it wasn't actually a promise or anything. Still, that's a pretty significant deal to be stating so specifically.
I was skeptical of it since back then, but I ended up letting my hopes get up a bit in the time up to the game's release. >.>
Well, as I stated before, I believe we were given wrong information and that it was more hyperbolic than factual. It wasn't a complete lie in the end, but yeah, the "getting our hopes up" bit really does get at you, especially with the growing excitement in the weeks leading up to the release date.
Quote:
For me, it's more the "they lived their lives together and had a family" aspect that I like about it and the complete feeling of the relationship that comes with it.
I saw so many animes/mangas back in the 90s that ended with "we leave it up to your imagination" endings. They were in love, they confessed to each other, but they didn't do anything definitive. So I like to see definitvely "complete" endings.
I quite agree with this part. Usually the romance stories all end up with the main protagonist and one of the heroines together, but they're usually open-ended; the "family ever after" events tend to act as an epilogue to conclude such stories and give the story a completeness about them which many are not used to seeing, which makes it something to look forward to, but that's only my opinion though.
RapidPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 05:59   Link #285
Xero8420
Ashigara's master

Okay... Then we ought stick with the "leave it up to your imagination" endings instead. Cause they already left some goodie-goodie stuffs for us, especially the "family ever after" ending with their "love child", so that we could sugar-coat our imaginations about a particular happy ending.
Xero8420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 10:20   Link #286
Marly
>AS

Quote:
I would agree if this was any conventional slice of life/romance, but it isn't. I think the finality of something derives from the combination of both what leads to an epilogue, and the epilogue itself. For example, in Kurumi's ending:

Spoiler:

And Yoshino's theoretical pregnancy ending would be just outright pedophilia.

While I get what you're trying to say as to how such an ending would feel more "conclusive" than a conventional "and they sort of went off into the sunset holding hands" ending, I feel like it would just feel extremely forced when it comes to a series like this.
Old 2013-07-07, 10:50   Link #287
iamadooddood
NOM.

Quote:
I would agree if this was any conventional slice of life/romance, but it isn't. I think the finality of something derives from the combination of both what leads to an epilogue, and the epilogue itself. For example, in Kurumi's ending:

Spoiler:

While I get what you're trying to say as to how such an ending would feel more "conclusive" than a conventional "and they sort of went off into the sunset holding hands" ending, I feel like it would just feel extremely forced when it comes to a series like this.
Spoiler:

A theoretical Yoshino (or Kotori) pregnancy ending would not be paedophilia if you fast forwarded the epilogue, say, 5-10 years ahead.
Spoiler:

I can't comment much on whether pregnancy endings would feel forced or not here though.

In any case, I thought choosing just one girl out of 6 when half the girls were liable to go put of control anytime you're not around (and even sometimes when you are) felt weird. Oh well, seems like it all worked out in the end.
Old 2013-07-07, 11:43   Link #288
Marly
>AS

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
A theoretical Yoshino (or Kotori) pregnancy ending would not be paedophilia if you fast forwarded the epilogue, say, 5-10 years ahead.
Spoiler:
Do Spirits even age? Kotori shouldn't count since she's a human with spirit powers.

And it feels forced because while it technically "concludes" a relationship, it doesn't do anything to actually conclude the main plot- Which is why such an ending would feel like a pandering material than anything.
Old 2013-07-07, 15:08   Link #289
Miraluka
Banned

Future Kotori has boobs XD.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 15:56   Link #290
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
You're assuming that they don't wait until she grows up; as iamadooddood pointed out,[spoiled]in Kotori's ending the epilogue showed her grown up.[/spoiler]Seeing an adult Yoshino alone probably would have made her ending so much better, actually.
And the whole question of spirits aging or not can be put to rest with
Spoiler:

Quote:
Except as I stated above,
Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
And it feels forced because while it technically "concludes" a relationship, it doesn't do anything to actually conclude the main plot- Which is why such an ending would feel like a pandering material than anything.
This is very true, actually. And note how in all the route except Rinne's,
Spoiler:
But this is more due to the fact that this is a "milking game" as I call them.

You have games that are meant to be their own stories and sell for being themselves like the Final Fantasy games, the Tales of games, the Uncharted series, etc. These games get big budgets and lots of work put into them to make them good.

Then you have milking games, which are made to make more money off the popularity of the base title, like the Toaru games, Sword Art Online, the games made for Captain America and Iron Man, and of course DAL: Rinne Utopia. Most of the time, these games don't get the best of budgets (certainly nothing on the level of a Final Fantasy or Tales of game) and feel cheap since the fans buy them mostly because it's part of the title they like. One good example of this is the Black Cat game for PS2; absolutely HORRIBLE combat gameplay. >.>

Though DAL: Rinne Utopia, as well as SAO: Infinity Moment and the Oreimo PSP games, were pretty good and well-funded for milking games, they still showed signs of lackluster development. To finish off the main plot of DAL and have Rinne Utopia offer a real ending, they'd have to put a lot more work, meaning a lot more money, into it. But milking games just don't get that kind of budget. So the whole point of games like this basically is to pander to the fans.

Last edited by Shinji103; 2013-07-07 at 16:06.
Shinji103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 17:26   Link #291
Mystic_Vegetto

Quote:
But this is more due to the fact that this is a "milking game" as I call them.

You have games that are meant to be their own stories and sell for being themselves like the Final Fantasy games, the Tales of games, the Uncharted series, etc. These games get big budgets and lots of work put into them to make them good.

Then you have milking games, which are made to make more money off the popularity of the base title, like the Toaru games, Sword Art Online, the games made for Captain America and Iron Man, and of course DAL: Rinne Utopia. Most of the time, these games don't get the best of budgets (certainly nothing on the level of a Final Fantasy or Tales of game) and feel cheap since the fans buy them mostly because it's part of the title they like. One good example of this is the Black Cat game for PS2; absolutely HORRIBLE combat gameplay. >.>

Though DAL: Rinne Utopia, as well as SAO: Infinity Moment and the Oreimo PSP games, were pretty good and well-funded for milking games, they still showed signs of lackluster development. To finish off the main plot of DAL and have Rinne Utopia offer a real ending, they'd have to put a lot more work, meaning a lot more money, into it. But milking games just don't get that kind of budget. So the whole point of games like this basically is to pander to the fans.
I have to agree here. Due to popularity, all sorts of Merchandise will be made in order to make more money off of the Title. While many people may view the Date A Live Anime as a failure, or something that they just didn't like, it's still a proven fact that the Light Novels are very popular with hundreds of thousands in Volume Sales. I'm not surprised at all that a Game was made for Date A Live. However, I am surprised that it was a PS3 Console Game, and that it would be a Visual Novel Game.

As for the Pregnancy Endings, those have become a Selling Point in Visual Novel Games based off Anime/Manga/Novels. Games like Toradora and Oreimo helped to contribute in making it a selling point. The reason why people find Pregnancy to be so appealing in this regard, is because when you look at the Source Material, whether it's an Anime, Manga or a Novel, everyone has in their mind some kind of Ending that they view. Whether it's a Character Ending, or some other type of ending. So for them, instead of waiting for the End of the Story to come out after a long time, they have a Game they can play instead in order to appeal to them. To see whether it's possible that the ending they want to see can be done in this game. Pregnancy is a very rare ending that everyone doesn't really get to see. So creators have seized on it in order to make more sales and more Money.

When it comes to the endings in Rinne Utopia, here's my opinion about them.
Spoiler:

But that's just my opinion.
Mystic_Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 18:12   Link #292
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic_Vegetto View Post
While many people may view the Date A Live Anime as a failure, or something that they just didn't like, it's still a proven fact that the Light Novels are very popular with hundreds of thousands in Volume Sales.
The volume 1 BD/DVD sold well too.

Quote:
When it comes to the endings in Rinne Utopia, here's my opinion about them.
Spoiler:
You definitely need to finish the game. That's all I can say to that without spoilers.
Old 2013-07-07, 18:21   Link #293
RapidPotential
Spinning round and round~

Well, everyone has to understand that there will be games that will be purely profit-driven, especially in the case of a "cash-cow" series where numerous of these are made, regardless of actual final quality, and the prices aren't exactly the cheapest either. There are times where you wonder is it really worth putting your penny to the test and buying the game, even if it turns out horrendous, sometimes due in part of being a fan of a series.

Nonetheless, we can always treat this game's events like a possible "what if" scenario, given it's branching from off the main plot of the original source material. Date A Live is a pretty popular series, and I'd say it'll continue to get exposure.

Quote:
Quite extreme to put it this way since Yoshino has been stated to be around Kotori's age (13-14) based on appearance alone; then again this point is moot because we don't even know if Spirits age normally if they have their powers sealed. Moreover some epilogues in the game went fast-forward so it wouldn't have ruled out the same thing for Yoshino's route.
RapidPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 18:29   Link #294
Mystic_Vegetto

Quote:
The volume 1 BD/DVD sold well too.

You definitely need to finish the game. That's all I can say to that without spoilers.
I probably will. Just that I burned myself out on it after playing it for a few days straight. Taking the time to finish some other games at the moment.
Mystic_Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 19:14   Link #295
Marly
>AS

Quote:
Spoiler:

You're assuming that they don't wait until she grows up; as iamadooddood pointed out,[spoiled]in Kotori's ending the epilogue showed her grown up.[/spoiler]Seeing an adult Yoshino alone probably would have made her ending so much better, actually.
And the whole question of spirits aging or not can be put to rest with
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Except as I stated above,
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
So the whole point of games like this basically is to pander to the fans.
What I don't get is why Sting was involved with this game when it seems like Compile Heart could have done just as much by themselves. It actually gave an impression that this was going to be something other than a generic VN since Sting has a decent track record.
Old 2013-07-07, 19:49   Link #296
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Last edited by Shinji103; 2013-07-07 at 19:59.
Old 2013-07-07, 21:37   Link #297
iamadooddood
NOM.

Since Shinji103 has explained everything else already...

Quote:
What I don't get is why Sting was involved with this game when it seems like Compile Heart could have done just as much by themselves. It actually gave an impression that this was going to be something other than a generic VN since Sting has a decent track record.
Well, it's not like it's the first time Sting's getting involved with a VN anyway.

And from online comments people were saying that Sting didn't have a decent track record lol.
Old 2013-07-08, 02:01   Link #298
Marly
>AS

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
And from online comments people were saying that Sting didn't have a decent track record lol.
Now that's just objectively wrong. Those negative comments are clearly from people who lost their minds at Dokapon Kingdom.
Old 2013-07-08, 07:21   Link #299
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Bottom line, I think you're reading far too deep into this and making it far too complicated.

Last edited by Shinji103; 2013-07-08 at 07:53.
Old 2013-07-08, 10:19   Link #300
Marly
>AS

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler:

Bottom line, I think you're reading far too deep into this and making it far too complicated.
No one's trying to twist your stance. Your stance doesn't even make sense to begin with.