AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2004-07-24, 01:55   Link #1
phoenixfire92983

Send a message via ICQ to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via AIM to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via MSN to phoenixfire92983
Future of Japanese Music on Radio

Ok, I've noticed that A LOT of japanese singers/groups are really striving to get their names across to the US and other english speaking countries. Some singers like J and Asian Kung-Fu Generation have the option of letting their viewer see their official sites in english. Other singers like TM Revolution, L'arc en Ciel, and Nami Tamaki are performing at anime conventions and making music videos staged in the US. Then you have singers like Chihiro Onitsuka, Hikaru Utada, and Puffy Amiyumi, who are beginning to create english songs...Even some of the less english proficient singers like Boa and TM Revolution are taking shots by producing english versions of japanese songs.

So here comes my theory. I live in California, and there is a lot of mexican/latino influence in music. Many singers from down south like Shakira and Enrique have created english albums to sell. With the prospect of hikaru utada's upcoming english album and all stated above...I think there's a good shot that within the next ten years we're gonna start hearing japanese singers on the radio. Of course it would be their english songs...but I think if hikaru can really do well with this upcoming album, then she's gonna pave the way for a lot of other singers. What do you guys think? Is there a chance that japanese singers could do very well in the US market sometime in the future?
phoenixfire92983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-24, 02:42   Link #2
Onizuka1724
Oyabun

Send a message via AIM to Onizuka1724
I agree there's a strong asian Presence in California (Japanese,Chinese). I live in Texas, if that were to happen in Cali it would happen in Texas later on. I hope that would happen
Onizuka1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-24, 04:59   Link #3
j1m0ne

Only those that can sing in English of course.... . Which probably doesn't amount to a lot. I guess my answer is that no, I don't see a huge Jpop crossover happening anytime soon. Most people refuse to listen to songs sung in a language that's incomprehensible to them and I don't think engrish songs will appeal to the masses.
Old 2004-07-24, 12:23   Link #4
ZhanDVG
Hail to the Sky~

I don't doubt it could happen. It's happened before ;p

Back in 1963, Kyuu Sakamoto had a song that was not only played on the radio here in the US, but the single "sukiyaki" (originally "Ue o Muite Arukou" (I Look Up when I walk), but the US label, Capitol Records, changed the name to something that was instantly recognizable and easily pronouncable for American audiences [though the song itself was untouched - still in Japanese and everything]) and the album by the same name both went to #1. The single stayed at #1 too for... I believe 4 or 5 weeks, but don't quote me on that.

I've actually got the album (an original on vinyl record, no less ;p) and it's a fantastic listen. I'd definitely reccomend it to any j-pop fan. (I'm quite sure it's been reissued on CD)
ZhanDVG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-27, 03:31   Link #5
Kero Gunsou
ロリが大好きな男

I don't see it happening anytime soon since Jpop/Jrock has such a niche market over here. Most of the people who like Jpop/Jrock are probably anime fans prior, and that's how they got exposed to Japanese music. I'm not saying it'll never happen since anime is getting more accepted as a mainstream entertainment for young people. I'm just saying it's not get to be as big as you hope for...unless there's a big explosion in Japanese population in US.
Kero Gunsou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-27, 16:51   Link #6
Chiaki Nozomi
Indie Director

Send a message via AIM to Chiaki Nozomi Send a message via MSN to Chiaki Nozomi Send a message via Yahoo to Chiaki Nozomi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kero Gunsou
I don't see it happening anytime soon since Jpop/Jrock has such a niche market over here. Most of the people who like Jpop/Jrock are probably anime fans prior, and that's how they got exposed to Japanese music. I'm not saying it'll never happen since anime is getting more accepted as a mainstream entertainment for young people. I'm just saying it's not get to be as big as you hope for...unless there's a big explosion in Japanese population in US.
You hit my thoughts right on the money.

A little tidbit of trivia to add-

Dreams Come True attempted to release an english album here.
Puffy (Amiyumi here) has been trying to break the market here for as long as I can remember.
Koda Kumi (Koda here) released two singles that seemed to be a big hit in the clubs.
A jazz pianist that I forgot name has released several albums here.

There have been artists trying to cross over, but all have basically flopped. The odds of Japanese music becoming big (or even artists crossing over in English... ) are slim. If they do, they better have extensive speech training, because that engrish is not going to cut it.

That's why Utada is 'prime' so to say for coming here. She's had the advantage of being fluent in both languages and knowing both cultures first hand. But who knows, maybe through her it will become a bit more popular (no, not the noobs! I fear the onslaught!) and maybe it won't. It's all up to the record company exects, because it seems nowadays that an artist doesn't become big unless the company wants them to get big. >.O
Chiaki Nozomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-30, 23:07   Link #7
chaoz
I see all and pwn all

I doubt Japanese singers will be a hit in the US anytime soon unless they fix up their accents. I heard some previews of Utada's english album and it's just horrible. It seems like she slacked off on making the lyrics; you're easy breezy and I'm japaneasy, I mean c'mon.
chaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-31, 00:27   Link #8
phoenixfire92983

Send a message via ICQ to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via AIM to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via MSN to phoenixfire92983
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoz
I doubt Japanese singers will be a hit in the US anytime soon unless they fix up their accents. I heard some previews of Utada's english album and it's just horrible. It seems like she slacked off on making the lyrics; you're easy breezy and I'm japaneasy, I mean c'mon.
Yeah, I'm starting to agree with you. I was hoping that hikaru could pave the way for other singers with this upcoming album....but yeah, the songs i've listened to basically suck. Esp. devil inside. The lyrics are horrible plus the background music doesn't give much background. Its sad cause she has the voice and can actually speak english *not engrish*...I think she was a big trump card for the japanese industry and I don't think they'll get the results they were working for.
phoenixfire92983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-31, 12:01   Link #9
Chiaki Nozomi
Indie Director

Send a message via AIM to Chiaki Nozomi Send a message via MSN to Chiaki Nozomi Send a message via Yahoo to Chiaki Nozomi
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixfire92983
Yeah, I'm starting to agree with you. I was hoping that hikaru could pave the way for other singers with this upcoming album....but yeah, the songs i've listened to basically suck. Esp. devil inside. The lyrics are horrible plus the background music doesn't give much background. Its sad cause she has the voice and can actually speak english *not engrish*...I think she was a big trump card for the japanese industry and I don't think they'll get the results they were working for.
Now now now. You guys are forgetting one thing - this is the AMERICAN industry. America, home of the '-izzles' and 'herre' and other language mishaps. How can you say that japanesey is bad when there are other more atrocious misuses of the language?

Compared to the current english market, her sound stands out. She's under their 'pop' label, so her 'competitors' will be the likes of Duff, Spears, Xtina, ect. And her lyrics are no more worse than theirs. It's pop. You aren't supposed to make pop complex and deep. It's supposed to be 'light and airy', without much substance or depth, but still nice to listen too, like cotton candy. I was critical of Utada when I first heard the song, but that's because I was expecting something along the lines of her Japanese stuff. Once I seperated the two, my opinion rose.

You're also forgetting that she worked with Timbaland, which will instantly give her 'industry cred', because she's a debut artist who worked with one of the top producers in the industry. Island is spending allot of money on her. Even if her music is crap, she will sell because I have a feeling she is going to be promoted to the extent of being overexposed.

And she is NOT the 'trump card for the Japanese Industry'. She's not doing this for the Japanese Industry period. As much as I like my jpop artists, I would want them to stay with Jpop. Japanese lyrics and english lyrics are completely different. You can get away with saying 'my love for you is like a garden' in Japanese, but you can't say that in an english song without someone laughing you out of existance. And.. aside from a few standout artists, their voices wouldn't be able to hold a candle against american singers.
Chiaki Nozomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-01, 19:11   Link #10
maxthelostboy

well shonen knife had a song in a powerpuff girls mv on cartoon network I know in america u have to pay to ahve your song on the radio alot of the time. And it depends are we talking on a public station or a huge corp. station?
maxthelostboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-01, 21:49   Link #11
^danshi^
running bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiaki Nozomi
You're also forgetting that she worked with Timbaland, which will instantly give her 'industry cred', because she's a debut artist who worked with one of the top producers in the industry. Island is spending allot of money on her. Even if her music is crap, she will sell because I have a feeling she is going to be promoted to the extent of being overexposed.
At first I wanted to answer that all this doesn't make 'Devil Inside' a good or at least catchy song I would spend money on. But seeing what's at the top of the charts here right now, I have to admit that you're totally right. People will buy just about anything, if it's well promoted.
^danshi^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 00:24   Link #12
illuminatedwax

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthelostboy
well shonen knife had a song in a powerpuff girls mv on cartoon network I know in america u have to pay to ahve your song on the radio alot of the time. And it depends are we talking on a public station or a huge corp. station?
BZZT! Sorry, even though it sounds a lot like Shonen Knife, the opening theme song was actually made by Bis, a band who, while amazing, is now defunct. Go pick up several of their albums. They range from grrl punk to Powerpuff to indie rock to Garbage style-music.
illuminatedwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 16:51   Link #13
maxthelostboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatedwax
BZZT! Sorry, even though it sounds a lot like Shonen Knife, the opening theme song was actually made by Bis, a band who, while amazing, is now defunct. Go pick up several of their albums. They range from grrl punk to Powerpuff to indie rock to Garbage style-music.
i sware in a old video it says shonen knife well anyhow where can i buy their albums amazon?
maxthelostboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 17:06   Link #14
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatedwax
Bis' early stuff was very good - "New Transistor Heroes" is particularly smashing - but I am not so fond of later efforts, which betray some sort of identity crisis.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-02, 14:25   Link #15
Hatter
Never Knows Best

Yeah... pretty much the only Japanese music that's gotten ANY sort of recognition over were were Shonen Knife and Pizzicato Five, both of which were known in the indie scene, in the '90's. Not so much nowadays.
Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-02, 16:52   Link #16
Citan

Send a message via AIM to Citan
Japanese music on American airwaves...? Well, perhaps not the major stations, but hey, my roomate and I have a radio show on my college campus where we play all sorts of J-stuff (and anime/video game soundtracks). Its not much, but its a start. I figure, if you get the music out there the regular public will start to get into it. Japanese music isn't just for the anime fans, its actually really good music. And people who appreciate good music will no doubt like it. So exposure is the first step. If you have an oportunity to do a radio show for college/school, and they allow you freedom to play whatever you want, its a great way to get the music out there. And support shows that do.
Citan is offline   Reply With Quote