AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2013-05-19, 18:19   Link #1
Tenshi_
Dewgong >w<

Need help for choosing a new monitor that supports 24/48hz

Hello, I need help with choosing a new monitor which I mostly play games, watch and browse with. I've done some research for it and I just couldn't find any that fulfills my requirements. Maybe I'm not searching hard enough but there are so many variants in today's monitors and the fact that most of them are similar just makes it hard for me to choose.

Basically, here are my requirements:
- Budget $400
- My current GPU: Radeon HD7950
- Supports 24/48hz (i.e multiple of 24) <----- This is important
- Mainly for gaming (fast response time etc), watching and browsing (good color contrast etc)
- 24 inch or 48 inch

FYI, I was using BenQ G2420HD for two years and due to unfortunate accident it broke completely with no chance of getting a replacement as my warranty have just ended. Also, it was 60Hz only monitor so you've imagined I had a lot of juddering even when using madVR's smooth motion or SVP.

So as a result, I would like to take this chance to get a monitor that supports multiple of 24hz. Better yet, I would love to get 120hz monitor but it's just too expansive for me to buy one.

Thanks.

Last edited by Tenshi_; 2013-05-20 at 10:26.
Tenshi_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-20, 07:30   Link #2
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

good luck with that budget
use 60hz like everyone else and deal with it
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-20, 10:31   Link #3
Tenshi_
Dewgong >w<

Heh, I wish I could deal with it. but nevertheless, getting 120hz is one of major features I would love to get.

I've been looking at Korean monitors for a while now (not the official ones) and although they match my preferences I need to take a risk before I buy one. Seems like you get all sorts of "problems" when you get one such as higher chance of getting dead pixels/bleed due to use of A- panels etc...

Anyway, I've bumped my price up to 400 bucks. I'm still searching but I just can't find one for my needs.
Old 2013-05-20, 11:02   Link #4
TheFluff

That's because such creatures as the one you are looking for simply do not exist. You can get a 120Hz "gaming" panel, but it's gonna be TN with all the terrible color and viewing angle problems that implies, and it's pretty stupidly expensive for what you get. The other alternative is shelling out well over a grand on some silly professional-grade NEC or Eizo thing. Just get a good mid-range IPS, you're not gonna get anything better with that budget. Except if you start looking at used professional-grade CRT's, then you can get yourself everything you wish for and then some, at the expense of power and weight.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read

Last edited by TheFluff; 2013-05-20 at 15:43.
Old 2013-05-20, 14:32   Link #5
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi_ View Post
Heh, I wish I could deal with it. but nevertheless, getting 120hz is one of major features I would love to get.

I've been looking at Korean monitors for a while now (not the official ones) and although they match my preferences I need to take a risk before I buy one. Seems like you get all sorts of "problems" when you get one such as higher chance of getting dead pixels/bleed due to use of A- panels etc...

Anyway, I've bumped my price up to 400 bucks. I'm still searching but I just can't find one for my needs.
I'm assuming that we're talking the Korean grey import scene and its cheap 2560x1440 monitors here?

As far as I'm aware, only a few of them are actually capable of 120hz - and those that are tend to go for $700-850 range.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-20, 14:57   Link #6
iceyfw

OP can try the korean PLS monitors ($300~$400) since people have had success with overclocking it anywhere from 90hz - 120hz~ of course it's like playing a lottery, and it's more like of a blur refresh rate in games than the sharp refresh rates you would see on a 120hz TN panel. if you feel lucky you can try your luck but prepare for the hassle of RMA if it ends up being a lemon.

see if you can find a samsung s27a950d or s23a950d in your area or online if you really want that guaranteed 120hz monitor. i wouldn't go with any other known brands like asus or benq for 120hz monitors. colors are way too washed out no matter how much calibration is done.
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-21, 04:54   Link #7
Tenshi_
Dewgong >w<

Importing Korean monitors seems like a big risk for someone who never had experience with them and looks like I mistook the price...

Excuse my lack of knowledge on monitors but is there even any monitor out there (not 120hz) that supports 24/48/72 FPS without actually tweaking such as using CRU? Or most of all, is there any monitors that can be tweaked to 72hz?

I'll look into IPS/PLS monitors.
Old 2013-05-21, 08:40   Link #8
TheFluff

I googled some for you and apparently the Asus VG23AH can be overclocked to 72 Hz, or at least some dude on the internet claims it can: http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/mo...ve-3d-ips.html

Old 2013-05-21, 10:28   Link #9
Tenshi_
Dewgong >w<

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
I googled some for you and apparently the Asus VG23AH can be overclocked to 72 Hz, or at least some dude on the internet claims it can: http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/mo...ve-3d-ips.html
Thanks. Looks dodgy but I'll look into it.

For the tweaking, can't I just use CRU instead of going through all those processes as shown on the video?
Old 2013-05-23, 09:14   Link #10
Tenshi_
Dewgong >w<

Alright, I'm down to choosing one of these monitors:
- ASUS MX279H
- LG 27EA63V-P

Any suggestions in regarding to these monitors?
Old 2013-05-23, 20:01   Link #11
TheFluff

I would never buy a 27" 1920x1080 panel myself but I guess if you sit really far away from your monitor it might be okay. Other than that, I really dunno, none of the reviewers that actually measure things with their own equipment (that is tftcentral.co.uk and prad.de, pretty much) rather than going "oh it looks great" seem to have covered either, which probably means they're both completely unremarkable consumer grade panels. I doubt you could tell a difference in picture quality so just go with whichever has the best shaped plastic or the most USB ports or something.

Old 2013-05-24, 00:58   Link #12
Tenshi_
Dewgong >w<

You must have a very good eye sight. I actually have to lean forward a little bit to read small texts (I don't like enlarging the whole page and I don't wear glasses/contacts for short distance as I wear them for long distant only) so getting a larger screen might help me to lean back a little while reading.
Old 2013-05-24, 06:44   Link #13
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I'll never understand why people go for lower pixel density to make the UI easier to read. Windows XP was so ten years ago--Windows 7, Windows 8 and pretty much any decent version of Linux can scale the UI very well.

Get the highest pixel density you can get and then change the UI scaling to suit your eyesight.

I still run into people running their laptops and desktops at non-native resolutions that are just horrid... I've seen people running their 16:9 widescreen laptops at 800x600, stretched to fill the frame.