AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-10-04, 22:41   Link #2541
Gangsta Spanksta
Fanfic Writer

Send a message via AIM to Gangsta Spanksta Send a message via Yahoo to Gangsta Spanksta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiek927 View Post
You mind giving me an example? I'm in the mood for a brawl tonight
:P Geez people are putting me to work on here today.

There are three big examples of irrational behavior by Raki in the Manga. I think the Anime had about two more. But basically.

Spoiler for case 1, The Black Card episode:

In this case, Raki physically grabs onto Clare in a dangerous situation, not only endangering himself, but endangering Clare. He has heard the situation of Claymores turning into yomas. He has lived in a village where a yoma was like a serial killer, slowly killing the people of the town, his whole family being some of its victims. Yet he is willing to let another such monster be spawned -- his rational being that Elena is Clare's friend. Furthermore, he disrespects a person's dying wishes, to want to die as a human. In the end, he caused Elena distress and prolonged her suffering.

Spoiler for case 2, Rabona:

In this case, Clare comes to rescue Raki from the veracious eater. She tells hin to run away, while she'll take care of it. What does Raki do? Distract her from the fight by pulling on her cloak, which ends up with nearly both of them getting killed. So instead of following Clare's orders, he endagered his and her life. Then Galk has to come in to protect him, causing another life to be endangered because of his irrationality.

Spoiler for case 3, Clare's awakening:

Ultimately, this turned out to be a good thing, but not due to Raki's action, but through dumb luck. Raki had no way of knowing that he is a no ordinary human that has the ability to pull Clare back from awakening. His actions were very irrational and self centered here. He chose his wanting to die with Clare if she had to die, over the lives of everyone in the City. He didn't listen to Clares Orders, and so endangered, himself, her, Galk, Sid, and the lives of everyone in that City, as Clare was about to awaken, Galk unable to stop her. He didn't respect Clare wishes.

But in each of those cases, I cringed as I read the manga, amazed at the sheer stupidity of the character, wanting to slap my forehead. Hollywood used to make female characters act in this irrational way. I hated it with them, and I hate it with Raki. XD
Old 2009-10-04, 22:43   Link #2542
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Anyway, replying to post on Image thread: I'm not one of those "haters" who think that "RAKI MUST DIE!" I opt for something more subtle, and the sensei happily obliged, with more "Break/Corrupt the Cutie".
Old 2009-10-04, 22:51   Link #2543
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Quote:
In this case, Raki physically grabs onto Clare in a dangerous situation, not only endangering himself, but endangering Clare. He has heard the situation of Claymores turning into yomas. He has lived in a village where a yoma was like a serial killer, slowly killing the people of the town, his whole family being some of its victims. Yet he is willing to let another such monster be spawned -- his rational being that Elena is Clare's friend. Furthermore, he disrespects a person's dying wishes, to want to die as a human. In the end, he caused Elena distress and prolonged her suffering.
*points to my previous post

Quote:
In this case, Clare comes to rescue Raki from the veracious eater. She tells hin to run away, while she'll take care of it. What does Raki do? Distract her from the fight by pulling on her cloak, which ends up with nearly both of them getting killed. So instead of following Clare's orders, he endagered his and her life. Then Galk has to come in to protect him, causing another life to be endangered because of his irrationality.

He did what anyone would have done, to add on. If you call that stupidity, I can only imagine what you would have done in that scenario, because I would raise my eyebrows if you actually left and abandoned her

Quote:
Ultimately, this turned out to be a good thing, but not due to Raki's action, but through dumb luck. Raki had no way of knowing that he is a no ordinary human that has the ability to pull Clare back from awakening. His actions were very irrational and self centered here. He chose his wanting to die with Clare if she had to die, over the lives of everyone in the City. He didn't listen to Clares Orders, and so endangered, himself, her, Galk, Sid, and the lives of everyone in that City, as Clare was about to awaken, Galk unable to stop her. He didn't respect Clare wishes.
What's self-centered about wanting to die with her? If was for her; do you understand what being self-centered even means?

He didn't endanger anyone, Claire wasn't going to awaken because she wanted Galk to kill her. Only difference was, was that Galk was going to end up killing one more.

I don't understand how anything changed and he suddenly became the reason for endangering everyone. Last I checked, it was still Claire for awakening in the first place, but if you want to put all the blame on Raki, be my guest

Quote:
But in each of those cases, I cringed as I read the manga, amazed at the sheer stupidity of the character, wanting to slap my forehead. Hollywood used to make female characters act in this irrational way. I hated it with them, and I hate it with Raki. XD
Not everyone can be oh so logical like you Gangsta, or have precognition and know what all their actions will lead to before it happens.

Take Raki out and replace yourself in his situations, I'm curious to see how your actions would realistically be any different.

Quote:
Anyway, replying to post on Image thread: I'm not one of those "haters" who think that "RAKI MUST DIE!" I opt for something more subtle, and the sensei happily obliged, with more "Break/Corrupt the Cutie".
I'm a little confused, but whatever floats your boat
Old 2009-10-04, 23:19   Link #2544
Gangsta Spanksta
Fanfic Writer

Send a message via AIM to Gangsta Spanksta Send a message via Yahoo to Gangsta Spanksta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiek927 View Post
Uh... you mean :P you make me spend all that time writing that up and that is how you answer it.
Especially when your previous post is a bout girl Raki, a totally unrelated subject.

Quote:
He did what anyone would have done, to add on. If you call that stupidity, I can only imagine what you would have done in that scenario, because I would raise my eyebrows if you actually left and abandoned her
Don't tell me you think irrationally too shieky. I would've left, if were some super powered human, with special abilities like Clare, and me being there would only endanger her and cause me to get in her way.

Quote:
What's self-centered about wanting to die with her? If was for her; do you understand what being self-centered even means?
What is self centered of him is choosing to die with her at the expense of sacrificing the lives of everybody else in the City.

Quote:
He didn't endanger anyone, Claire wasn't going to awaken because she wanted Galk to kill her. Only difference was, was that Galk was going to end up killing one more.
Wrong, raki got in the way and Galk missed his chance in killing Clare, as the vortex of her aura would've stopped him. Clare would've awakened if Raki was an ordinary human.

Quote:
I don't understand how anything changed and he suddenly became the reason for endangering everyone. Last I checked, it was still Claire for awakening in the first place, but if you want to put all the blame on Raki, be my guest
Clare told Galk to kill her; Raki got in the way and before Galk knew it, it was too late to carry out her wishes.

Quote:
Not everyone can be oh so logical like you Gangsta, or have precognition and know what all their actions will lead to before it happens.
Attacking the arguer and not the argument, very smooth shieky.

Quote:
Take Raki out and replace yourself in his situations, I'm curious to see how your actions would realistically be any different.
I would've behaved more rationally. I would've let Clare kill her friend, though I might not like. I wouldn't have grabbed her arm in Rabona and nearly got her killed by the Yoma. And I would've let Clare kill herself if she was awakening.
Old 2009-10-04, 23:23   Link #2545
HegemonKhan
Banned

especially in the anime:

raki WAS/IS (or if you rather, symbolized) clare's humanity (including emotions) in human form.

if you wanna know how clare really felt or what her real emotions are/were in any given situation, just look at raki to find out !!!

if you seen afro samurai anime.... raki is like the imagined old guy (who never shuts up..I like the silent real afro much much better, lol. raki's crying ain't even close as annoying as the old guy...), except raki is real and not imagined by clare.
--------------------------------------------------

but now in the manga raki is grown up, and has his own part-significance now. But, now he got captured...... he's like a damsel in distress cliche' now...but it's gender reversed....lol...

-----------------------------------------------

HOWEVER,

why do so many think that raki will need help/rescue?

if those retrieval unit members are mere humans.....raki could easily kill them....

i could see raki, kill all of the Organization retrieval unit members, all on his own human power/ability (i'm not even addressing him awakening from the projectiles), unless those retrieval unit members aren't human.....

which could very well be the case, since they weren't afraid or intimidated by raki and his great size-strength for a human.

Last edited by HegemonKhan; 2009-10-04 at 23:33.
Old 2009-10-04, 23:24   Link #2546
Gangsta Spanksta
Fanfic Writer

That blanket statement is based on what?
Old 2009-10-05, 02:04   Link #2547
evil_kenshin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta Spanksta View Post
I would've behaved more rationally. I would've let Clare kill her friend, though I might not like. I wouldn't have grabbed her arm in Rabona and nearly got her killed by the Yoma. And I would've let Clare kill herself if she was awakening.
I don't believe you, its easy enough to state that but in real life you wouldn't of. Most peoples reactions to someone trying to kill someone (who hasn't done anything wrong) is to stop the potential killer. Most people would also try and prevent something bad happening to someone they care for (e.g. Raki trying to stop Clare awakening)
Old 2009-10-05, 04:59   Link #2548
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
I was slightly interested in his powerup, but now that the origins of that had been revealed, I'm left slightly disappointed.
Actually this still hasn't been revealed unless I missed something or the English translation isn't accurate.
Old 2009-10-05, 08:58   Link #2549
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Well, I thought that his powerup was due to training. Now, it would seem that it was due to experimentation.
Old 2009-10-05, 09:06   Link #2550
evil_kenshin

Quote:
Well, I thought that his powerup was due to training. Now, it would seem that it was due to experimentation.
Its not being revealed yet, so its a bit to soon for you to say "boring".
Old 2009-10-05, 09:23   Link #2551
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

I did speculate that it was due to experimentation. If the reveal is that it was indeed due to his hard work, I'll give a clap or two. But, given the cynical world that is Claymore, Raki took the hand that was offered to him.
Old 2009-10-05, 09:25   Link #2552
evil_kenshin

Quote:
I did speculate that it was due to experimentation. If the reveal is that it was indeed due to his hard work, I'll give a clap or two. But, given the cynical world that is Claymore, Raki took the hand that was offered to him.
Logically speaking his current strength would be due to training, on the other hand the powerup his about to recieve will be used to show the inside of the organization, the process of turning people into claymore etc.

The reason for this is it would be silly to go through the whole manga with no idea how exactly a claymore is made.
Old 2009-10-05, 09:29   Link #2553
Gangsta Spanksta
Fanfic Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_kenshin View Post
I don't believe you, its easy enough to state that but in real life you wouldn't of. Most peoples reactions to someone trying to kill someone (who hasn't done anything wrong) is to stop the potential killer. Most people would also try and prevent something bad happening to someone they care for (e.g. Raki trying to stop Clare awakening)
See now you are acting like you're a little slow, "Most people's reactions to someone trying to kill someone (who hasn't done anything wrong). Yeah, lets make Raki less irrational by changing the situation from what really happen. Here is another way to look at it. Change settings and worlds, and all the sudden Clare, Raki and Elena find themselves in the Aliens universe, where Elena has an Alien inside of her that is about to burst out of her chest. She asks Clare to kill her. Raki grabs onto Clare and tells her not to do; that Elena is her friend, etc, etc. But wait, back in the original universe it was exactly the same kind of situation, Elena was about to die anyway, and a monster that is a threat to all of humanity was about to be born. Yeah, you guys are trying to ignore all the facts here and turn the situation into something that it is not, all to try to defend Raki's irrational behavior that would have resulted in people dying if he got his way. So you guys would let Elena turn into a monster, because she was Clare's friends, and you would do so knowing that she will murder countless of human beings, even if that person plea was to kill her, put her out of her misery, because she doesn't want to become a monster and wants to die as a human. To me, it would be you who seems more cruel. And I think most people would've felt belt, become quite, and let Clare do as she was asked, instead of physically trying to stop her and begging her not to do it, even if they knew that if Clare doesn't do it, it would result in a disaster, a serial killer that will kill countless of humans.

And again, you are changing what happened in Clare's awakening, saying that Raki was trying to stop that from happening, when he instead clearly made the choice that he wanted to die with Clare, his interference almost resulting in a major disaster of an awakened being, a weapon of mass destruction, being born in the middle of a city.
Old 2009-10-05, 09:32   Link #2554
Gangsta Spanksta
Fanfic Writer

Also another trend here seems to try to make this an argument based on emotion, rather than logic, and emotional arguments usually end up losing.
Old 2009-10-05, 09:36   Link #2555
evil_kenshin

Quote:
See now you are acting like you're a little slow, "Most people's reactions to someone trying to kill someone (who hasn't done anything wrong). Yeah, lets make Raki less irrational by changing the situation from what really happen. Here is another way to look at it. Change settings and worlds, and all the sudden Clare, Raki and Elena find themselves in the Aliens universe, where Elena has an Alien inside of her that is about to burst out of her chest. She asks Clare to kill her. Raki grabs onto Clare and tells her not to do; that Elena is her friend, etc, etc. But wait, back in the original universe it was exactly the same kind of situation, Elena was about to die anyway, and a monster that is a threat to all of humanity was about to be born. Yeah, you guys are trying to ignore all the facts here and turn the situation into something that it is not, all to try to defend Raki's irrational behavior that would have resulted in people dying if he got his way. So you guys would let Elena turn into a monster, because she was Clare's friends, and you would do so knowing that she will murder countless of human beings, even if that person plea was to kill her, put her out of her misery, because she doesn't want to become a monster and wants to die as a human. To me, it would be you who seems more cruel. And I think most people would've felt belt, become quite, and let Clare do as she was asked, instead of physically trying to stop her and begging her not to do it, even if they knew that if Clare doesn't do it, it would result in a disaster, a serial killer that will kill countless of humans.
No its nothing to do with me being "slow" rather that you are falsly opinionated and state your opinon on what you would of done after the fact rather than during it.

Raki at that time had no idea claymores turn into monsters, so it was a moment of shock for him.

Maybe its cruel but thats how humanity is. How many people with a fatal illness wish to end their life only to have their family want them to stay around? How many people cover for family members who commit crimes?

You try to act all big and macho but your being unrealistic. A 10 year old would have no such understanding other than the person he cares for is about to kill her friend.

Quote:
And again, you are changing what happened in Clare's awakening, saying that Raki was trying to stop that from happening, when he instead clearly made the choice that he wanted to die with Clare, his interference almost resulting in a major disaster of an awakened being, a weapon of mass destruction, being born in the middle of a city.
Again a 10 year old has no understanding of that, the sole person his close to is about to "die" so he was happy to die with her.

Please try and learn about perspective, do you honestly believe the 10 year old you would have the ability to make decisions like that? in all honesty you would chose emotion over logic please be realistic.
Old 2009-10-05, 09:38   Link #2556
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Logically speaking his current strength would be due to training, on the other hand the powerup his about to recieve will be used to show the inside of the organization, the process of turning people into claymore etc.

The reason for this is it would be silly to go through the whole manga with no idea how exactly a claymore is made.
Unless I misread, the MIB's words do seem to imply that during the 7 year interval, he was experimented upon. Maybe, he managed to break free, but the Org caught up with him.
Old 2009-10-05, 09:39   Link #2557
evil_kenshin

Quote:
Unless I misread, the MIB's words do seem to imply that during the 7 year interval, he was experimented upon. Maybe, he managed to break free, but the Org caught up with him.
no all the org member says is "I hope its something more than willpower"
Old 2009-10-05, 09:44   Link #2558
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
no all the org member says is "I hope its something more than willpower"
Then the later laugh, followed by "When research materials are left to their own devices, they have a way of bringing about interesting results on occasion." is directed at ?

I see it as a doctor who just caught a lab rat which his colleague had experimented on.
Old 2009-10-05, 09:45   Link #2559
evil_kenshin

Quote:
Then the later laugh, followed by "When research materials are left to their own devices, they have a way of bringing about interesting results on occasion." is directed at ?
Could mean anything, he didn't specifically recognise Raki or act surprised to see him (outside the fact he was alive).
Old 2009-10-05, 09:49   Link #2560
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Could mean anything, he didn't specifically recognise Raki or act surprised to see him (outside the fact he was alive).
I added that a little later. But, I would understand if a doctor do not recognise a rat which he worked on. It could also be the other colleagues who did the work, and he read the report.