AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-12-29, 10:34   Link #1
LKK

Shinrei Tantei Yakumo (Psychic Detective Yakumo)

The seinen novel series Shinrei Tantei Yakumo (Psychic Detective Yakumo) by Manabu Kaminaga is scheduled to get an anime adaptation in the fall of 2010 according to the January issue of Kadokawa Shoten's Newtype magazine. Tomoyuki Kurokawa will direct the overall series, while Hiroyuki Kawasaki will supervise the series' scripts. Bee Train is producing the anime. [Source]

The series follows Yakumo, a young man who can see the spirits of dead people. He uses this ability to help solve murder cases.

Spoiler for novel covers:

Shinrei Tantei Yakumo has had several adaptations including a CD drama, a live action adaptation, and two separate shoujo manga adaptations.

The first manga adaptation drawn by Ritsu Miyako was a two volume set.

Spoiler for first manga adaptation covers:

The second manga adaptation is drawn by Suzuka Oda and is currently running in Asuka magazine. One compiled volume has been released.

Spoiler for second manga adaptation cover:

Anime series' official web site

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous

Last edited by LKK; 2009-12-29 at 10:47.
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-29, 12:11   Link #2
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

WHY YES ILL BE WATCHING THIS!!

Hopefully Ill get around to reading the manga first XD But man Suzuka Oda's art for the 2nd manga is hot!! Of course I'm biased to her since I love her KHR doujins <3

Considering how Sensei and Sage see the comparisons to this and Ghost Hunt if I wasn't watching this I'd be kicked out of class XD
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-29, 12:42   Link #3
MidnightReverie
Senior Lurker

Wink

I'm all over this (and Shiki too).

According to the official website it will run for 13 episodes. Enough to adapt a book or two?

Oda Suzuka's art is hot indeed, but I find Suzuki Yasushi's novel cover illustrations the best. They're so pretty and stylish.
MidnightReverie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-29, 13:17   Link #4
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightReverie View Post
According to the official website it will run for 13 episodes. Enough to adapt a book or two?
The first two-volume manga adaptation covered 3 story arcs. Those arcs were likely from 3 books, I guess. I could easily see 13 episodes covering those 3 stories. (3 eps, 3 eps, & 4 eps.) (4 eps, 4 eps, & 5 eps) For now, that's my guess as to what's going to be covered.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous

Last edited by LKK; 2009-12-29 at 14:44. Reason: apparently, I can't do math anymore :(
Old 2009-12-30, 13:40   Link #5
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

I AM SO WATCHING THIS just to oggle Yakumo...erm I mean for the great plot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
Hopefully Ill get around to reading the manga first XD But man Suzuka Oda's art for the 2nd manga is hot!! Of course I'm biased to her since I love her KHR doujins <3

Considering how Sensei and Sage see the comparisons to this and Ghost Hunt if I wasn't watching this I'd be kicked out of class XD
Oda's art for Yakumo is hot! But the first manga artstyle wasn't bad either. I like them both but I wonder which artstyle the anime will use? If they're not using the original novel then I'm guessing it will probably be Oda's character designs.

Sensei will definitely kick you out of her class if you don't watch. I have my own portable T.V. to watch in detention.

Quote:
Aww, is that all? I was hoping for at least 26 episodes. ;____;

Quote:
This image of Yakumo from the original novels is nice too...more realistic and a bit darker than the manga versions.

Hopefully we'll get a bit more of the romance where GH lacked.

...and another scary doll episode??? Anyone planning on watching this in the dark?

Thanks for creating this thread, LKK.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 14:05   Link #6
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSage View Post
Oda's art for Yakumo is hot! But the first manga artstyle wasn't bad either. I like them both but I wonder which artstyle the anime will use? If they're not using the original novel then I'm guessing it will probably be Oda's character designs.
My first guess would be that they're going with the novel illustration style since they used a novel cover for their preliminary web site image.

Quote:
I have my own portable T.V. to watch in detention.
Hand it over, missy.
Shouldn't you know by now not to brag about your detention contraband?

Quote:
Aww, is that all? I was hoping for at least 26 episodes. ;____;
Well, it's been known to happen that a second cour is announced during the first cour's run. So here's hoping that'll be the case this time.

Quote:
This image of Yakumo from the original novels is nice too...more realistic and a bit darker than the manga versions.
I think that different art reflects the difference in intended audiences between the novels and the manga. Seinen versus shoujo.

Quote:
Hopefully we'll get a bit more of the romance where GH lacked.
Unfortunately with only 13 episodes scheduled, I'm not holding my breath for this. I don't think there will be enough time in the leads' relationship for any romance to develop.

Quote:
Thanks for creating this thread, LKK.
You're welcome.

Old 2009-12-30, 14:51   Link #7
MidnightReverie
Senior Lurker

Those three stories were actually in the first book. Here's my guess if they choose to do two books.

Novel 1: 2-2-3 eps
Novel 2: 6 eps

I nabbed some images from the author's official website. The novels have covers by two different illustrators. Akatsuki Katoh for the Bungeisha edition and Suzuki Yasushi for the Kadokawa Shoten edition.

Spoiler for Akatsuki Katoh:

Spoiler for Suzuki Yasushi:

ps. pd_yakumo @ LJ exists
MidnightReverie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 17:35   Link #8
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
According to ANN Bee Train will be in charge of the animation and there's two staff members who are known

Director: Tomoyuki Kurokawa (only other directorial work is the "Murder Princess" OAV,though he's been involved in quite a few other Bee Train Projects)

Series Composition: Hiroyuki Kawasaki
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 18:16   Link #9
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSage View Post

Id fall over dead if they used Oda's art but since only 1 vol of her vers is out I bet they either use the novel or the completed manga. btw have you seen her Mukuro???

Quote:
...and another scary doll episode??? Anyone planning on watching this in the dark?
.....oh dear
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2009-12-30, 18:38   Link #10
Avira
fanart-fan :D

Hm sounds interesting. I loved Ghost Hunt and this sounds similar..

Can't ignore the guy either
Old 2009-12-30, 18:39   Link #11
LKK

Quote:
Those three stories were actually in the first book. Here's my guess if they choose to do two books.

Novel 1: 2-2-3 eps
Novel 2: 6 eps

[snip]

I nabbed some images from the author's official website. The novels have covers by two different illustrators. Akatsuki Katoh for the Bungeisha edition and Suzuki Yasushi for the Kadokawa Shoten edition.
ps. pd_yakumo @ LJ exists
I didn't know that about the books. It's been hard for me to find out information about the novels since I have to rely on Google (etc.) translations which drive me crazy. So thanks for the info.

Thanks also for the pics and the LJ information!

Old 2010-01-01, 15:00   Link #12
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

This anime seems to have lot in common with my fave genre of animes . But the covers sorta scare me away . Is this in any way BL , need to know ? ^^
Old 2010-01-01, 15:06   Link #13
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zu Ra View Post
This anime seems to have lot in common with my fave genre of animes . But the covers sorta scare me away . Is this in any way BL , need to know ? ^^
Which cover gave you the idea that this series is BL? If you think that other character is a guy, you're wrong; it's a girl. This is a seinen series, and it's similar in concept to Ghost Hunt, if you've seen that.

Short answer to your question: No, it's not BL.

On another note, it seems that Yakumo will draw in the audience the way Naru did for Ghost Hunt.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
Old 2010-01-01, 15:20   Link #14
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

All of them ...... I been following this genre from quite a long time . But thanks though on the enlightenment regarding Seinen : D

IMO reminds me more of Kindaichi Case Files more so the LVA
Old 2010-01-03, 03:00   Link #15
Sakuya
*Artist

Wow, this sounds awesome. I really enjoyed Ghost Hunt. By the way, the novel covers remind me so much of Naru from GH.
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-03, 13:10   Link #16
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

If you think those covers remind you of Naru, check this other one by Ritsu Miyako in the first manga adaptation:

Spoiler for save space:

[/TH][/TR][/table]
Old 2010-01-03, 18:43   Link #17
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

@Zu Ra maybe cuz Suzuka Oda draws BL doujins you were confused??

@Sage in that pic both could easily pass for Naru and Mai, its scary.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2010-01-03, 18:48   Link #18
Sakuya
*Artist

Wow! Now I want a sequel of GH in their older years! Nah, I'm pretty sure I will enjoy watching this.
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-03, 18:52   Link #19
GDB

I'm really hoping this is an actual adaptation and not some sort of continued story like the live-action series was. I really want to see the first case (from the manga, anyway) animated.

Also, personally, I preferred the first manga's art to the more recent one. Haruka was more attractive.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-04, 07:19   Link #20
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
@Sage in that pic both could easily pass for Naru and Mai, its scary.
That pic is the reason I got into STY in the first place. At first I thought it was a doujin of Naru and Mai - aaand...so I dug further and found Yakumo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I'm really hoping this is an actual adaptation and not some sort of continued story like the live-action series was. I really want to see the first case (from the manga, anyway) animated.

Also, personally, I preferred the first manga's art to the more recent one. Haruka was more attractive.
I think the anime will be an adaptation and not a continuation - it would make little sense if it was a continuation.

I have to agree with you on Haruka. Miyako's character design for Haruka is more mature and prettier than Oda's Haruka, who looks more like a high school senior than a University student. But I've only seen the first chapter, so maybe Oda's Haruka will grow on me. But if the anime went with Miyako's character design...I'd get too much of a GH vibe and that's not good either.

[/TH][/TR][/table]

Tags
drama, seinen, supernatural