AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-05-08, 22:11   Link #2341
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Imperial Engineers.

The Dumbest Engineers in the Universe.

Durr. No one's gonna shoot into a 2-meter hole that leads straight to the core of the Death Star. It's impossible!!!

XD
Of course, it's because of that arrogance and overconfidence that they most likely ended up designed in such a way. After all, would you expect the biggest and most powerful battle station in the galaxy to be attacked head-on by nothing more than 30 starfighters (several of them antiquated, stripped down Y-Wings) ? It's mentioned that their whole defense system was based on repelling large-scale attacks by starships and the likes, thus their weapons were widely spread out across the surface. Though at least the Death Star II learned from that embarrassing blunder by replacing that 1 exhaust port with countless tiny ones across the whole surface and greatly tightening their defenses on the surface.

Though, don't know how you could justify the Star Destroyer series having their generators sticking out like gigantic warts, much less Super Star Destroyers like the Executor, lol.
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-08, 22:14   Link #2342
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78GP04G Gerbera View Post
Though, don't know how you could justify the Star Destroyer series having their generators sticking out like gigantic warts, much less Super Star Destroyers like the Executor, lol.
They were inspired by this animale:
Spoiler:

Just as the glowing thing would lure prey -- they figured -- they could lure rebel fighters with the shield generators sticking out.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-09, 00:24   Link #2343
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Not to keep this somewhat interesting off-topic going, but the Bentenmaru could be using a hull polarizing shield similar to what the Enterprise NX-01 was using.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-09, 04:08   Link #2344
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
Not to keep this somewhat interesting off-topic going, but the Bentenmaru could be using a hull polarizing shield similar to what the Enterprise NX-01 was using.
What? I thought hull polarization was something from the 24th century. The NX-01 had it? Looks like I need to revise my Astra Scienta facta.

This would explain the lack of a deflector dish (those glowy things are buzzard collectors after all.)
Old 2012-05-09, 04:41   Link #2345
encia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
NX-01's polarize the hull plate's primary defence is still being done by the hull plates itself. Similar function still exist in TNG/DS9 time period as SIF. A high power SIF enables the hull to resist a Cardassian starship phaser beam attack.

Defiant's skin tight shielding is like having another hull surface that can heal.

Last edited by encia; 2012-05-09 at 04:56.
encia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-09, 06:03   Link #2346
gaiar31

Spoiler:

Let's Rock
gaiar31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-09, 08:33   Link #2347
justpassingby

Remind me what was HanaKana doing?

Spoiler for HanaKana:
Spoiler for Ep 22 and 23 Titles:

Last edited by justpassingby; 2012-05-09 at 08:49. Reason: change from 'Nest' to 'Den' to 'Haunt' :P
justpassingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-09, 08:39   Link #2348
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassingby View Post
Remind me what was HanaKana doing?
http://ambiseiy.com/2012/03/04/hanaz...kiru-kana-108/

That actually has nothing to do with Mouretsu Pirates, but it's a fun coincidence.
Old 2012-05-09, 10:22   Link #2349
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Well. I'm also applying the things I would know/remember from math/physics as well.
I always tell myself that as technology advances, so does the science that accompanies it. What is deemed impossible today may not be impossible in the future.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-09, 10:38   Link #2350
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
I always tell myself that as technology advances, so does the science that accompanies it. What is deemed impossible today may not be impossible in the future.
I am reminded of some lines from a science fiction novel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringworld
Prill laughed. "You foolish child! You have told me yourself that your ships move very quickly next to ours."

"They do," said Louis. "They move faster than light."

"I think you improve the tale," she laughed. "Our theory says that this cannot be."

"Maybe we use different theories."
That seems appropriate for this discussion.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-09, 12:37   Link #2351
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
What? I thought hull polarization was something from the 24th century. The NX-01 had it? Looks like I need to revise my Astra Scienta facta.

This would explain the lack of a deflector dish (those glowy things are buzzard collectors after all.)

The NX-01's navigation deflector is on the front of the saucer. It is flattened to keep the width of the saucer but it is still the deflector. It is like the one from the Original (1960's) NCC-1701 Enterprise (it is the same width even) but flattned. The proposed fifth season refit of the NX-01 would have given it a secondary hull for a new improved Warp Core, and added a second navigational defelector (http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2011/...x-refit-plans/) And if you are wondering, this design is by the guy, Doug Drexler, who designed the NX-01 for Paramount in the first place. The original warp core and navigation deflector would be retained for redundancy, and because the new drive would be highly experimental. The secondary hull could be jettisoned so having the old drive and deflector means the ship could still make it home.

The Polarized Hull Plating is energy reenforcing of the hull (a version of what would later become the Structural Integrity Field).

The Bentenmaru seems to have actual shielding rather than polarized hull plating.

The Odette II seems like it use to have shields and weapons before they converted it into a high school operated yacht. Can't tell it the Lightning 11 had shields or not. It wouldn't have mattered much considering Marika's plan was to blind them, rather than cook them.

I would note that the bridge is near the front of the ship (the dome) and is retractible. They retract it every time they do a warp.

The Serenity ships Marika has fired on so far have been either to establish communications or to disable fire control systems. She has yet to fire on a vessel with the intent to harm someone. I wonder if she'll every be placed in the position to take a life in this show?
Old 2012-05-10, 00:49   Link #2352
Theo

That's what I'm waiting for: something where Everything Won't Turn Out All Right.

Up to now, we've had major conflicts resolved through blackmail and diplomacy, with the first arc being the only one where none of those worked, but it only seemed like an appetizer.

How will she handle an enemy that cannot be negotiated with, bribed, blackmailed, ran away from, and is hell-bent on killing her?

Last edited by Theo; 2012-05-10 at 02:24.
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-10, 01:00   Link #2353
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
How will she handle an enemy that cannot be negotiated with, bribed, blackmailed, ran away from, and is hell-bent on killing her?
By altering the situation so that she can do one of the former.

But frankly, I don't see a need for her to end up in such a situation in the first place. I've been enjoying these stories as they are now. There is no need to change the series into some hardcore life-or-death drama.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-10, 01:19   Link #2354
Kyuu
=^^=

Plus, it's a little too late to go into the life-or-death direction.

Though, remember Eps 1. Marika was targeted by people in suits and shades. Where did they all go? Vacation? XD
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-10, 02:30   Link #2355
Theo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
By altering the situation so that she can do one of the former.

But frankly, I don't see a need for her to end up in such a situation in the first place. I've been enjoying these stories as they are now. There is no need to change the series into some hardcore life-or-death drama.
I'm not asking to change the entire series. I'm asking for one fight where her hand is forced and she has to match wits and firepower with the enemy and she actually might lose.

They already foreshadowed this in 6 and 7 with Misa putting her through a life-and-death simulation that "doesn't happen often" but nonetheless trained her for, along with that dream sequence with Marika nearly being killed.
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-10, 03:03   Link #2356
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Where did they all go? Vacation? XD
They ran into Imperial Navy Investigations Section 31.
Old 2012-05-10, 03:13   Link #2357
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

There was a mention of a truce earlier when the Princess arrived planetside.

The wonderance is how many of them were attempting to stop Marika from becoming a pirate, and how many were trying to get her to be a pirate (just for their ship)? We never really found out who all those groups were.

After she becomes a pirate (and deals has dealt with the Lightning 11's crew) it seems the thugs have either backed off or are now under local control (as some of the suits were there when Misa picked Marika up to go get her Privateering license.)
Old 2012-05-10, 09:47   Link #2358
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Well we never heard from or saw them again after Dark Queen Chiaki drew her gun and started shooting. I'm going to have to go with the theory that she was feeling a bit stressed and killed most of them and cowed the ones that were left alive.

Endless "Stressed out" Soul
Old 2012-05-11, 08:50   Link #2359
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78GP04G Gerbera View Post
I'd assume some engineering constraint that forces you to place shield generators out on the edge of whatever the shield is supposed to protect. Depending on how the shield works, I suppose that could be reasonable constraint.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-11, 10:25   Link #2360
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Sure, it makes sense to us, and any engineer worth their salt, to NOT have the shield generators in such an exposed location, however I'm thinking that the Star Destroyer model was designed and built before deciding what those globes actually were. They were simply objects placed there as something to make the design more interesting, to help break up the angular lines, and as something of a cool factor. In that respect it works because 35+ years later we still talk about the Star Destroyer and those globes. I can only hope that we'll be talking about the Bentenmaru and her design features 35 years from now.

Endless "Model builder" Soul

Tags
light novel adaptation, science fiction, seinen, yuri