Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-25, 04:31   Link #8761
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Sucks for purchasers of Japanese products and sucks for industries in Japan.
An 8000 yen figure that cost you $67 two years ago now costs $96 and that was discounting inflationary rises.
It's great for those like me who import R1 DVDs from the US. (Weird? Well, I do rather want English subtitles in my DVDs.)

It's currently around S$1.36 to US$1, compared to around S$1.45 just under two years ago. That's a 6.2 per cent slide, or around 15 per cent less than what the US$ was worth before 2008.

Meanwhile, a follow-up to an earlier story:

Japan's hunt for missing elderly exposes social woes
Quote:
Tokyo (Aug 23, Mon): A Japanese media frenzy over missing centenarians has cast a spotlight on the isolation and loneliness potentially faced by millions of the elderly as the government struggles to cope with a rapidly graying population.

The panic — and guilt — was sparked by the discovery that a man believed Tokyo's oldest male at 111 had actually been dead for over 30 years, with his remains found mummified at his home. His family is under investigation for fraud.

Since then, the authorities have been unable to locate over 250 elderly people and reports have emerged of many old people dying alone, or of relatives running scams to get their pensions amid broken communities and overworked public volunteers.

"Don't worry, my mum-in-law is not a mummy," one relative, Ms Mio Akiyama, jokingly reassured workers of Suginami ward, one of 23 special wards or municipalities of Tokyo, as they checked on the area's elderly last week.

With investigations underway, officials have found that many older people have moved away from their family homes, never to be heard from again, showing how the vulnerable with few friends can easily fall through the cracks of a leaky, support network.

Ms Fusa Furuya of Tokyo's Suginami district, thought to be Tokyo's oldest woman at age 113, was found not be living at the address where she was registered. She has yet to be found and none of her family know her whereabouts.

Her step-granddaughter told Japanese media that she had not seen her relative for more than 20 years.

Retiree Katsuji Yamashiro, 67, said: "I feel sad and lonely. I didn't realise that kind of thing can happen in Suginami ward where I live."

These reports have shocked Japan, which is home to an estimated 41,000 centenarians and whose women have held the record for the world's longest life expectancy for 25 years.

One third of Japan's growing ranks of elderly are expected to be living alone by 2020 because of a fast-aging population and more divorces. The government expects over a quarter of its 127 million citizens to be aged over 65 by 2015.

"Until recently, nuclear families were central to Japanese society but, now, people living alone are replacing this household model," said Mr Akio Doteuchi of NLI Research Institute.

That means a new system is needed to replace traditional home care, he said in a recent report.

REUTERS
Old 2010-08-25, 07:13   Link #8762
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
This seems relevant considering all the issues with that botched Filipino bus rescue (skip to 1:06)

<snip>

The key thing here is that the Russian hostage rescue team got the windows on the bus broken quickly and immediately followed that with flash bangs and storming the vehicle from multiple entry points.
Those guys are not SWAT, they are military commandos - or in Russia, known as the Spetsnaz. The name Alfa gave it away. Heck they aren't even counted as police or under internal security (which should be handled by OMON and lower-ranked FSB agents)

These guys are routinely deployed into Chechen to wipe out entire cells of separatists, their combat experience is significantly larger than your regular elite law enforcement unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
This might be more relevant in the various anime merchandise threads... but today the yen hit a 15 year high against the dollar. A US dollar only buys you 83 yen today. As a comparison, two years ago a dollar would get you 110-120 yen.

Sucks for purchasers of Japanese products and sucks for industries in Japan.
An 8000 yen figure that cost you $67 two years ago now costs $96 and that was discounting inflationary rises.
Yeah. I used to be able to buy figurines by the pound due to the exchange rates - now I have to settle for less.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-08-25, 07:22   Link #8763
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I just noticed:

Quote:
"Don't worry, my mum-in-law is not a mummy," one relative, Ms Mio Akiyama, jokingly reassured workers of Suginami ward, one of 23 special wards or municipalities of Tokyo, as they checked on the area's elderly last week.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2010-08-25, 07:26   Link #8764
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
I just noticed:
LOL!

I bet she's in self-delusion. Or maybe that K-ON characters exist IRL?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-08-25, 07:27   Link #8765
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Mind = Blown.
Old 2010-08-25, 11:02   Link #8766
AnimeTheme
MJ - Forever King of Pop

Maybe Mio Akiyama is a pretty common name in Japan lol

Check out my Windows gadget gallery!

Old 2010-08-25, 11:41   Link #8767
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

I thought World War III is going to take forever to happen.

Iran shows missile, says is friend to neighbors

Quote:
(Reuters) - Iran showed off an improved domestically made missile on Wednesday, the latest in a string of announcements about new military hardware it hopes will dissuade enemies from attacking.

The United States and Israel both say they do not rule out bombing Iran to prevent it getting nuclear weapons. Tehran, which started fuelling its first nuclear power station on Saturday, says its atomic programme is peaceful.

State television showed a test-firing of the nine-meter-long (30-ft) missile it said was a new version of the Fateh-110 weapon with an improved range of 250 km and better precision than previous models.

In recent days Iran has also publicized new mini-submarines, armed speed boats and a prototype long-range bomber drone. Defense Minister Ahmad Vahidi said neighboring countries had nothing to fear from Tehran's improved defenses.

He criticized Washington's decision this month to sell the latest Patriot interceptor missiles to Kuwait to counter a potential Iranian threat. Just across the Gulf, Kuwait could be in range of the upgraded Fateh-110.

"America is seeking to create a climate of fear about Iran by installing new (weapons) systems in the region, but there is no necessity for these systems," Vahidi said.

Many of Iran's Gulf Arab neighbors are concerned about the Shi'ite state's increasing clout in the region and the prospect that it might acquire nuclear weapons.

Kuwait has expressed safety concerns about Iran's Bushehr power plant which most analysts say does not increase Iran's chances of getting a nuclear weapon.

Vahidi reiterated Iran's offer of support to the Lebanese military, initially suggested after a deadly cross-border clash with Israel.

"Lebanon and the Lebanese army is our friend and if there were to be a request we are ready to help them," Vahidi was quoted as saying by the students news agency ISNA.

The offer from Iran, which supports Lebanon's militant Shi'ite group Hezbollah, could fuel Western fears that Tehran is increasing its influence near Israel's northern border.

Concern about Iran's nuclear programme center on its uranium enrichment programme and its missile capabilities.

Iran has long-range missiles including the Shahab 3 and the Sejil which could be used to hit Israel and regional U.S. bases.

Tehran is still awaiting the delayed delivery of Russian S-300 air Defense missile systems. The United States and Israel oppose Iran getting the systems as they could help it withstand any future air strikes against its nuclear sites.
Iran seeks to assert itself as a world leader of Muslim affairs. This doesn't sound good for those of us living in SEA.

Old 2010-08-25, 12:03   Link #8768
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Iran seeks to assert itself as a world leader of Muslim affairs. This doesn't sound good for those of us living in SEA.
this isn't good for anyone.
Old 2010-08-25, 14:13   Link #8769
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:

I wouldn't say about ''muslim affair'' but at least of this region...

They just have to block the Gulf of Oman for making much problem for their ''neighboring countries'' .
Old 2010-08-25, 14:32   Link #8770
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:

For World War III to happen, you'd need either Russia or China involved, and on the opposite side of the US. China is not going to fight the US, except maybe over Taiwan, and we all know the US is probably not going to do much if that situation ever actually occurs. I don't think Russia is vested enough in Iran for them to risk total annihilation over. So really, it's just going to be the entire western world against Iran and her allies. It's going to be pretty one sided, hence it's just a lot of saber rattling.
Old 2010-08-25, 14:37   Link #8771
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
For World War III to happen, you'd need either Russia or China involved, and on the opposite side of the US. China is not going to fight the US, except maybe over Taiwan, and we all know the US is probably not going to do much if that situation ever actually occurs. I don't think Russia is vested enough in Iran for them to risk total annihilation over. So really, it's just going to be the entire western world against Iran and her allies. It's going to be pretty one sided, hence it's just a lot of saber rattling.
for the time being, the REAL focus in the region, will be iraq.
which will very soon be undergoing a civil war that will the leave the country knee deep in blood...head first.
Old 2010-08-25, 16:15   Link #8772
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
Iran is the world No. 3 supplier of oil, and their biggest cilent is China. In short, both of them have a mutual interest in starting destroying US influence on the European and ME continent.

Israel is toast if Iran gets their S-300 AAM systems. No doubt, they would step up on covert tactics and state-sponsored terrorism just to take down Israel. And they are not the only ones - almost every Muslim state in the ME is looking hungrily at Jerusalem and Israel's state-of-art military technology, and notably and probably, the Arrow ABMS.

Military-wise, US is unable to defeat Iran right now even with their allies. Military technology Iran is on a slightly lesser footing, but it has hybridised US-Russian technology left over from the Cold War, making it a rather formidable opponent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
I wouldn't say about ''muslim affair'' but at least of this region...

They just have to block the Gulf of Oman for making much problem for their ''neighboring countries'' .
That is the biggest problem. A large amount of oil shipment passes through both the Gulf of Oman and Strait of Hormuz - Iran can practically threaten the entire world's oil supply by aiming their missiles thataway.

I am pretty sure that Alzheimic fake prophet Khamieni won't hestitate to do so - he desires control over the entire Middle East.

Old 2010-08-25, 16:27   Link #8773
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Military-wise, US is unable to defeat Iran right now even with their allies. Military technology Iran is on a slightly lesser footing, but it has hybridised US-Russian technology left over from the Cold War, making it a rather formidable opponent.
So your saying, after the Cold War between Russia and the U.S. Iran has adapted into a "hybrid" from both of these countries, making it somewhat deadly if U.S goes against them, even if Iran has a slightly less-footing? That sounds kinda scary, especially the fact that Iran is indeed the World Number 3 oil supplier.

I also think that the prophet Khamieni will not hesitate to go insane over getting control of the entire Middle East, but the fact remains that this may eventually turn into another World War soon enough.. Just a thought.
Old 2010-08-25, 16:36   Link #8774
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Quote:
you give them FAR too much credit.
i agree that they wouldn't just fall over, but they aren't anywhere near capable of standing up to a US military force if the goal was truely about taking out the leadership (rather then try to occupy the entire country).
at the present, Iran's military capabilities are around the same as Iraq's were around 1991, and even THEN, the coalition forces were able to steamroll through it.
Iran's armor divisions still use old T-72s, and their air force mainly revolve around Russian fighters that would be Raptor Food if they were ever pitted against them.
their paramilitary forces are considerable (some claim that they number over 10 million)
but its questionable how many of them would really fight for this regime now.

while Iran does have considerable capabilities, those capabilities are not of a military nature.
they are mostly capable of carrying out retaliatory missile and terrorist strikes against targets outside their boarders, but military capability wise, Iran is about one step behind Egypt, and far behind Israel and Turkey in the middle east area.
which is why they spent so much time and money developing proxy forces in the past decades.
they know that they can't really stand up to the major powers, so they instead focus on exacting a cost of blood for actions against them.
Old 2010-08-25, 17:04   Link #8775
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
This is wrong on so many levels. Iran is quite far behind the US. In terms of somewhat modern aircraft, they have 20 F-14s, 40 Mig-29s, and 24 Mirage F1s. Rounding out their force, 65 F-4s, 60 F-5s, 17 Chinese knockoffs of Mig-21s, and between 5 and 24 of their domestic Saeqehs. Their army is a mix of western and Soviet era equipment, which is not a good thing. All it does is complicate their supply situation. They'd be far better off with one or the other. Sure, they'd put up a much better fight than Iraq, and probably be able to sink a carrier if they catch one in the Gulf, but when it comes down to it though, they have no chance of winning, just making winning costly for the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
at the present, Iran's military capabilities are around the same as Iraq's were around 1991, and even THEN, the coalition forces were able to steamroll through it.
In fairness, that was Iraq. Iran should fight a lot more competently.
Old 2010-08-25, 17:10   Link #8776
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
In fairness, that was Iraq. Iran should fight a lot more competently.
fair enough.
though i WOULD add that that was 20 years ago, and technology has advanced considerably since then as well.
Old 2010-08-25, 19:03   Link #8777
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Taking nuclear technology out of the picture, I don't think you realize how powerful the US military is. Other countries are a joke compared to ours in military strength, especially when it's a head on fight and not one of guerrilla tactics like Vietnam.
Old 2010-08-25, 19:18   Link #8778
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
I have my doubt about Iran's military technology, a mixed western/ russian army with all the logistic trouble than come with than kind of setting, plus some of their own national weapon , some with capacity than seem rather unrealistic .
Old 2010-08-26, 01:44   Link #8779
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

How did John McCain win so easily in Arizona?

Interesting quote i found in this article
Quote:
"...the movement(The Tea Party) itself hasn't cohered around a particular ideology or vision. They're all angry, but they're not all angry about the same thing. "
So Tea party is more divided than united than i thought it was.
Old 2010-08-26, 02:50   Link #8780
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Taking nuclear technology out of the picture, I don't think you realize how powerful the US military is. Other countries are a joke compared to ours in military strength, especially when it's a head on fight and not one of guerrilla tactics like Vietnam.
Of course the U.S. Military strength has much to do with who is in Congress/White House during that decade. Jimmy Carter gutted the military and it took Reagan to get it back up to speed. Clinton closed down numerous military bases, and Bush increased military spending. It goes through phases depending on who is controlling the Federal Government. Also the Military isn't worth anything if the Leaders won't use them.

Iran is still far behind the U.S. in capabilities, but they are a bigger threat to their immediate neighbors in the middle east. It will be interesting to see how things will be once they acquire nuclear weapons(which is a matter of when, not if).
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international