AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2014-04-25, 18:07   Link #1221
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Ranger def still needs work to good use in certain places which I hope come soon, as while it doesn't compare to ele or warrior for dungeon crawling, it's still a old fav to play of mine.
You can't beat using a bow and arrow really

Alot of changes have happened recently which have improved the game.Sure I'd like more actual content but I can live with what we got atm, I'm still trying to sort alot of stuff out.

Got a friend thats been lucky with pre-cursors.
First he got a Zap which he made into Bolt, then he got Leaf of Kudzu which I bought off him, then he got Legend which he sold for 900g and just today got Chaos Gun which he's selling for 600g......

Safe to say I hate him quite abit right now>_<
Old 2014-04-25, 19:30   Link #1222
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Well... With the ranger, as it currently stands, it's about knowing what it can do. They don't have viable enough group utility for wvw zergs and no one likes a bear bow, regardless of what game mode. Seriously. Every time you bear bow, a kitten dies
But they're good elsewhere, as long as the player knows their class. You just need to ditch the longbow in a lot of cases.... although it already got some improvements, with hopefully more to come. Personally, I love ranger in pvp

Nice I just buy my precursors, cba with that jerk in the forge, lol.
Old 2014-04-26, 05:10   Link #1223
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...on-key/2463544
http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.ph...65&postcount=4

There's many other ways they can help actually but depends on how much time you want to spend.
Huh, I must have been too hasty and just slipped past this. Thank you Archon
Old 2014-04-26, 22:38   Link #1224
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Well, Hooves, it's clearly their fault for not really putting in the effort to help you. I mean a serial key is only for a physical version... which doesn't make sense for it to use it as an identifier.

As for the ranger talk, I think the class suffers from severe design problems that are getting improved. The thing about ranger builds is that they are frequently all or nothing and most things suck when they're traited-- yet the trait is usually 30 deep.

Rangers also suffer from conditions, poor stability, and a lack of AOE making them pretty bad in zergs. The best bet is to take signets of the beastmaster and be a beast for long stability/stone signet activation for some endurance, though following is entirely hard. Survival skills got a new GM trait that helps a lot though-- it causes survival skills to remove 2 condis and grant fury per use, which makes Muddy Terrain very useful.

The other problem is that a lot of their weapons are unwieldy. Sword is one of the best ranger weapons, and arguably one of the best weapons in the game, but the weird autoattack takes a long time to get used to. The main reason I feel they get the bad reputation is the class has an inherently low skill floor; meaning if you're bad with it, it's really bad. As opposed to a bad warrior or guardian still being capable of something. A bad ranger does nothing but rally the enemy. But if you learn to play one right, it can still be good.

Rangers are of course excellent at single target damage, and meeting a solo ranger in wvw is quite a cause for alarm, though it might just be me screwing around.

Also, while Bearbow is terrible in PvE, I don't think it's THAT bad in wvw. The condition removal is useful... if it actually works. Pets were recently patched to actually follow your commands.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2014-04-26 at 22:58.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-04, 09:07   Link #1225
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
I'll just leave these here...

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-04, 23:51   Link #1226
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

And of course, DBZ too...

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2014-10-25, 00:06   Link #1227
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Although I still enjoy this game, a recent event has caused much (justified rage) due to some really shady action: http://www.tentonhammer.com/editoria...wars-2-gemgate

Short story short, previously you could type in to make exactly how many gems you could receive. The new system changed purchases to 400 increments which is bad because a lot of the stuff aren't in multiples of 400. If you have 500 gems and wanted to buy 700, well screw you then. But it wouldn't have even looked as bad as they also removed the graph that details the change in prices over time... and people also realized there was a gem price spike too. Yea, that's just too much to be a coincidence.

Although the change will be "fixed" soon, I have no idea how they've been doing these changes without thinking about the reaction and nobody even requested such things. I gotta say, don't use the userbase as guinea pigs.

Meanwhile, there's been numerous other changes such as the altering of traits, which forces all traits to have to be unlocked by either buying them or unlocking them (and hence making the leveling process more tedious), a "new player experience" change that removes certain buttons until you reach a certain level (and this is mindlessly put in when you start a new character, not just for new accounts), and a megaserver system that makes it hard for people on the same server to even communicate each other, and with feedback generally ignored, I have to say, that this kind of behavior is incredibly detrimental to creating a sustainable game.

Oh, and such untested changes such as having the owner of a dungeon instance being able to get kicked. Oh, and vote kicks aren't a majority vote-- it just takes 2. So if there'es a party of 5 and 2 assholes, then they can kick everyone else out. How does this pass testing?

There have of course, been a host of positive changes, mostly involving balance and gameplay, which makes me think that one side seems more in touch in the community, and the other side just seems to be just so fucking out of touch that it will cause trouble. I am of course still playing regularly but it is quite worrisome. Everyone makes mistakes, but it's about how you deal with them and communicate the process that matters

MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2014-10-25 at 00:22.
Old 2014-10-27, 11:39   Link #1228
Yuka-Chan
柊ユカ
*Artist

Quote:
Although I still enjoy this game, a recent event has caused much (justified rage) due to some really shady action: http://www.tentonhammer.com/editoria...wars-2-gemgate

Short story short, previously you could type in to make exactly how many gems you could receive. The new system changed purchases to 400 increments which is bad because a lot of the stuff aren't in multiples of 400. If you have 500 gems and wanted to buy 700, well screw you then. But it wouldn't have even looked as bad as they also removed the graph that details the change in prices over time... and people also realized there was a gem price spike too. Yea, that's just too much to be a coincidence.
When I saw this change I was raging so hard. moreover, getting real tired of the same holiday events. seems for me like whenever they make some stupid changes it's always for the worse.. for the most part

Pretend it's not forever, I'll pull myself together I'll say that I'll forget him, I'll breathe.
And I'll say he never hurt me, And look at it as learning, And laugh about the good and the bad. Because I won't live forever We don't belong together, I know I'll feel better, One day when I can make it through

sig and avi made by me
Visit my Gallery

Yuka-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-03, 16:52   Link #1229
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

well, i started to dive into this game. i just have fun trying to complete areas. crafting is annoying though. i feel like its really inefficient if you're trying to level up your professions. is there a better way i don't know about?

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-03, 18:43   Link #1230
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Right, crafting tends to be expensive and geared towards max level characters. You generally have to have a solid material base to do that. Fortunately, you don't need crafting at all until you reach level 80; it's often quicker to just buy equipment for low level characters. And even at level 80, you can still buy exotic gear which is about 10% weaker than ascended gear which does have to be crafted, but in reality doesn't make that big of a difference. Not only can you purchase equipment on the trading post, but the gear from the hearts you complete will often sell you level appropriate gear for just karma (a secondary currency that you get for doing hearts and events and is pretty much given out like candy)

IMO the best way to set yourself up is simply to play the game; and indeed completing areas is faster than just killing stuff. As long as you aren't so low on cash you can't go anywhere, you should salvage practically everything you find if possible up to level 60 or so. This will give you materials that you can often sell that are more valuable than just vendoring them or you can simply save them for your future crafting efforts.

Also make sure you are aiming for crafts that produces stuff your characters can actually use. I would focus on the weapon professions, and pick one according to needs (weaponsmith, artifactor, and huntsman) Armor is generally more expensive to craft.

An exception to this is chef and jeweler. Those tend to be the cheapest and can get you quite a few levels on your character.

The most important thing is just to not rush too much-- a lot of people do and start making angry complaints. Getting to the highest levels isn't not always the best approach, because materials you will find between level 30-60 tend to be very expensive as level 80s generally don't head to those areas and also the drop tables tend to drop higher stuff for them. In general things start to really look up after level 25 or so, at which point you can actually start paying attention to all of these things.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2015-01-04, 00:30   Link #1231
Baldurkai
Ultra durable

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
well, i started to dive into this game. i just have fun trying to complete areas. crafting is annoying though. i feel like its really inefficient if you're trying to level up your professions. is there a better way i don't know about?
Depending on the type of player you are, there are many ways to just level up your character.

1: grind out low level events quickly (I.e champion event farming as events scale to lvl so you keep getting more and more exp - I think these still exist maybe...)
2: go try the world vs world vs world for exp and weapons as well as armour (if you're on a server with a good/strong WvW force, it might be worth while to follow compitent commanders going to attack towers and camps as these event will award you with money, karma, exp as well as WvW tokens which can be exchanged along with gold for exotic tier armour and weaponry)

Not so time efficient
1: try the PvP in the game, as you can be awarded -Tomes of Knowledge- which when used will grant your character 1 whole lvl. (Awarded within the PvP chest tracks at different staged of completition) - personally I would not recommend this for any new players as you have to win the matches and play to a reasonably high standard to obtain a good amount of points to get the tracks completed.

Quote:
The most important thing is just to not rush too much-- Getting to the highest levels isn't not always the best approach, In general things start to really look up after level 25 or so, at which point you can actually start paying attention to all of these things.
Only thing I say to this is that, hitting lvl 80 as fast as you can allows you to aim access to the new areas which get released, contains many valuable items worth a lot of in game gold, which will allow you to buy all the items you are trying to farm for at them low levels.

Also with the "new" levelling system they introduced I find that only at level 80 does the game start to open up, you will be able to do the tasks required to obtain skills, you get access to tailoring your equipment to your playstyle (choose the stats you wish to play with - early level armour and weapons may only have 2 of the 3 stats available), you get access to the new zones which at the time of writing has been pretty much lvl 80 req (maybe lvl 70 if you play well) all of your trait points can be spent so you will have your full build.
Personally I dislike this "new" levelling system as it feels like you've been delayed for no reason.

Levelling now in gw2 is slow, but if you have money, the best way (imo) is to do the story missions/quests and when you reach around lvl 30-40 to start on crafting. otherwise it's honestly rather slow these days.

in general the higher your level the more exp you earn, so I would recommend power level via champ farms, event farms, WvW farms.

Good luck!
Hope you have fun in the game!
Baldurkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-04, 00:58   Link #1232
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

funny enough, my two professions are chef and jeweler. do i just make a bunch of really crappy items, salvage what i can, and repeat to level those professions?

i'm by no means a gw noob. i had well over 4k hours with gw1, and friends played with gave me gw2 for christmas this year. so i'm just on the "harvest everything, do all the heart quests, look at the vistas, do in game events, go to all points of interest" to progress plan. haha.

that said, i'm not really a fan of how they changed healing in the game. i understand they wanted to move away from instances and make soloing viable, but i'm just not a fan of the one skill to heal thing.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-04, 01:59   Link #1233
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldurkai View Post

Only thing I say to this is that, hitting lvl 80 as fast as you can allows you to aim access to the new areas which get released, contains many valuable items worth a lot of in game gold, which will allow you to buy all the items you are trying to farm for at them low levels.

Also with the "new" levelling system they introduced I find that only at level 80 does the game start to open up, you will be able to do the tasks required to obtain skills, you get access to tailoring your equipment to your playstyle (choose the stats you wish to play with - early level armour and weapons may only have 2 of the 3 stats available), you get access to the new zones which at the time of writing has been pretty much lvl 80 req (maybe lvl 70 if you play well) all of your trait points can be spent so you will have your full build.
Personally I dislike this "new" levelling system as it feels like you've been delayed for no reason.
Yes and no. There is some endgame content at level 80, but a lot of it doesn't require it. And because a lot of drops at mid levels are worth more than their high level counterparts, I don't see a need to rush-- just explore the game naturally. You can make so much from salvaging linen, cotton, and platinum. If you already have level 80s, it makes sense to get the rest to 80 too, but for a new account, I think the priorities are a bit different.

I think the leveling system is okay, with the new rewards for leveling up. What is bad is the trait system, which requires you to unlock every trait-- that's just an unnecessary grind. I also don't like how they dumbed down the first few levels and the starting areas, but at least it doesn't really affect anything past 20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
funny enough, my two professions are chef and jeweler. do i just make a bunch of really crappy items, salvage what i can, and repeat to level those professions?

i'm by no means a gw noob. i had well over 4k hours with gw1, and friends played with gave me gw2 for christmas this year. so i'm just on the "harvest everything, do all the heart quests, look at the vistas, do in game events, go to all points of interest" to progress plan. haha.

that said, i'm not really a fan of how they changed healing in the game. i understand they wanted to move away from instances and make soloing viable, but i'm just not a fan of the one skill to heal thing.
Yea' that's basically it. However, there's two things to note. One is that the xp gained for crafting items decreases the more you craft it, and discovering recipes grants a lot more crafting xp than making stuff over and over again.

Although healing is centralized, most classes have a way to receive other sources of healing, namely regen and various traits. Also, group heals tend to be pretty involved and can make a huge difference.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2015-01-04, 14:15   Link #1234
Baldurkai
Ultra durable

Quote:
Yes and no. There is some endgame content at level 80, but a lot of it doesn't require it.
Not too sure I would agree with that, as the recent patches and new zones destroyed my level 40, was downed and killed in 2 moves, and to be honest I do not get the impression that they (Anet) will be releasing new areas which will be level -60 friendly.

So I do get the impression that hitting the highest level is the better option, as you can always replay the lower level story/farming after you've hit level 80 and still enjoy the experience.
Old 2015-01-04, 18:49   Link #1235
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

If you're going to silverwastes and dry top at level 40, then of course you would get destroyed.

But that's just such a small portion of the game. I guarantee you that once you do most of the other zones, you're going to be 80 anyways. There is very little to be gained by going to be rushing places anyways. If you just play the game normally and explore the zones in order, you'll have the appropriate gear. Being a 80 in the 80 areas in green equipment with a host of locked traits isn't going to lead to a pleasant experience either when there's wealth to be found anywhere outside of the starter zones. The excessive farming in those zones has let silk and especially gossamer die out. Cotton, Platinum, Iron, and Linen are the way to go when you're starting out. This is why I let my new characters hang around the 30-60 range before rushing them to 80 afterwards.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2015-01-05, 19:48   Link #1236
Baldurkai
Ultra durable

Quote:
If you're going to silverwastes and dry top at level 40, then of course you would get destroyed.

But that's just such a small portion of the game. I guarantee you that once you do most of the other zones, you're going to be 80 anyways. There is very little to be gained by going to be rushing places anyways. If you just play the game normally and explore the zones in order, you'll have the appropriate gear. Being a 80 in the 80 areas in green equipment with a host of locked traits isn't going to lead to a pleasant experience either when there's wealth to be found anywhere outside of the starter zones. The excessive farming in those zones has let silk and especially gossamer die out. Cotton, Platinum, Iron, and Linen are the way to go when you're starting out. This is why I let my new characters hang around the 30-60 range before rushing them to 80 afterwards.
I know that I have 7 level 80s, its just with the rate the game is going new zones which come with the new patches + releases (like dry top) was used once and maybe twice (but that was a new area within dry top) and people tend to farm enough of what they need and be done with the map - SilverWastes is an exception as we are asked to farm like mindless -insert country- gold farmers to get achievements completed.

The point im trying to make is that if you take too long to reach a high enough level to compete in the new map + events you may lose out on items, farms, events, id go as far as to say it can even make playing the game even worse as you try to achieve the impossible (like solo killing a legendary boss for an achievement)

I get your point about the more expensive and useful materials but i still think that by being level 80 and gathering them then, is more advantageous than slowly gathering them. only because you don't have to spend time trying not to get killed.

That said, you go get Exp for gathering so that does help if you need the exp to level.

TLDR: leveling too slowly might be bad - as new zones are normally emptied after a week or two after release (may miss on events/tasks for achievements)
SilverWaste Exception atm - as releases are reusing the map (at the moment).
Old 2015-01-06, 01:47   Link #1237
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

There's been a grand total of 2 zones in the past few months. Neither is going anywhere soon, and both maps are still really active; Silver Wastes more so.

I understand there's a lot of concern due to Arenanet's obsession for temporary content however I could really say it's not too vital anyways.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2015-01-08, 15:56   Link #1238
Baldurkai
Ultra durable

Quote:
There's been a grand total of 2 zones in the past few months. Neither is going anywhere soon, and both maps are still really active; Silver Wastes more so.

I understand there's a lot of concern due to Arenanet's obsession for temporary content however I could really say it's not too vital anyways.
When you shrink the scale like that, my concern seems like nothing but looking at all the expansions + updates none have lasted for more than 2 - 3 weeks tops ( with the exception of Silverwastes as they have pumped multiple updates to that zone. others zones had one patch and were left alone after that.

Either way you level how you want, I for one prefer MinMaxing in Mmo's. Again there are many ways to level in Gw2 - just need to find the ones which you like to do and dont find tedious.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also that aside the new Concept art/picture looks good for the upcoming patch/update!

Point of No Return Update looks to be a fun fight and adventure!
Old 2015-01-24, 18:03   Link #1239
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Here it is, peeps!

https://heartofthorns.guildwars2.com/en

Get hyped!
Old 2015-01-24, 20:48   Link #1240
Esclair

SO HYPE. Looks like a lot of my problems with the game might be addressed in the new expansion. There also seem to be a HUGE graphics update. It's definitely one of the best looking western MMOs now.
Esclair is offline   Reply With Quote