AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

View Poll Results: Spice and Wolf - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 20 28.57%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 22 31.43%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 21.43%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 14.29%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 4.29%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-03-01, 02:07   Link #41
maymay
Inactive~

Good episode. Horo just cracks me up. She already has Lawrence totally whipped.
Lawrence- "Your a lot cuter"
Horo- *disdainful glare* "You made the passing mark"
Old 2008-03-01, 02:12   Link #42
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The back of my head says something was lost in translation in the dialog subtitles in this release.... I suspect the verbal jousting was even brilliant but I may have to listen a few more times to provide specific examples.

Even so, it was great to watch them in classic romantic comedy rapier witticisms.
Old 2008-03-01, 02:19   Link #43
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

About Nora's impopularity:
Spoiler for Ayako's notes for ep8:

I like Horo's personality just fine. She's fun to watch. Though I'm not sure I could stand being the target of her games. Or that I could afford it...
Old 2008-03-01, 02:26   Link #44
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post

I like Horo's personality just fine. She's fun to watch. Though I'm not sure I could stand being the target of her games. Or that I could afford it...
Wow that is a good theory, but that is dependant on the area for example:

Spoiler:

Personally I'm not too impressed with Nora's canine friend. The biggest and baddest (well cutest) wolf is sitting a stone's throw from them sheep and he hasn't noticed yet
Old 2008-03-01, 03:06   Link #45
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Yeah, Enike doesn't fare too well in any "special" dog sense

Interesting notes from Ayako ... I've not really started the second volume (avoiding it til series end other than general summaries) so I can't really comment on the credibility. Given "big city" views on rural folk in that time period, it's not terribly unreasonable though.

offtopic: thought about ordering the rest of the light novels..... amazon.co.jp's shipping rates have become quite insane - they're charging using an algorithm that charges by $$ rather than weight so I get charged the same whether there's 5 books in one box or 5 books in five boxes. What a crock.
Off to other sources.....
Old 2008-03-01, 03:20   Link #46
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well on a lighthearted side of it. At least Horo picked up some interesting information about Lawrence in earlier years. Though I guess discussions wouldn't normally be directed towards that kind of topic .

Maybe the dog has a good sense of self-preservation. Do you honestly want to mess with the giant wolf unless its absolutely necessary?
Old 2008-03-01, 03:51   Link #47
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Yeah, and it's not like she's made a move toward the sheep. She's more interested in honeyed peaches.
Old 2008-03-01, 08:02   Link #48
Flo
The Necessary Evil

Quote:
Yeah, and it's not like she's made a move toward the sheep. She's more interested in honeyed peaches.
Wolf and Conspiracy

Fruit seller: I'm sorry m'am, honey apple, pears, peaches were all sold out.
Horo: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! !!!!!!!
Old 2008-03-01, 08:31   Link #49
BigGimp77

Quote:

Thanks for that info, that explains a lot.. Does it explain that in the novels?

This is one series I would actually like to read the novels....... if i could read japanese
Old 2008-03-01, 09:09   Link #50
Eviltape

The ending was nostalgically eerie. Evil maniacal laughter would make a just-before-the-end plot, and I have no idea where it would go from there. I'm thinking an open ending that will somewhat drive people to translate the novels like it did for Haruhi's 10. Oh lawd, I wish.
Old 2008-03-01, 10:48   Link #51
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

This episode was... kinda meh... I was expecting a little more angst from Horo this episode.. it has its moments though, so I was satisfied.
Old 2008-03-01, 10:54   Link #52
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
Personally I'm not too impressed with Nora's canine friend. The biggest and baddest (well cutest) wolf is sitting a stone's throw from them sheep and he hasn't noticed yet
Perhaps the dog knows what will happen if it started barking at horo...

He is wise and know who NOT to pick fights with...

It is interesting that as the more time horo spends with lawrence...the more she turns into a child. Lawl at lawrence patting on her head

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2008-03-01, 11:06   Link #53
LKK

I'm having a hard time deciding what rating to give to this episode. Horo's jealousy irked me. That's a negative. How Horo expressed her jealousy and Lawrence's reaction to her reaction amused me. That's a positive. Nora's timidity annoyed me. Nora's mysterious history intrigued me. Negative; positive. The whole episode was like that. Ever negative reaction had a counter-balancing positive one leaving me with a net sum of zero reaction overall. So I'm hemming and hawwing over how to rate the episode.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2008-03-01, 11:08   Link #54
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
I'm having a hard time deciding what rating to give to this episode. Horo's jealousy irked me. That's a negative. How Horo expressed her jealousy and Lawrence's reaction to her reaction amused me. That's a positive. Nora's timidity annoyed me. Nora's mysterious history intrigued me. Negative; positive. The whole episode was like that. Ever negative reaction had a counter-balancing positive one leaving me with a net sum of zero reaction overall. So I'm hemming and hawwing over how to rate the episode.
Give it an average and call it a day, thats what i did, lol
Old 2008-03-01, 11:12   Link #55
LKK

^^ Good advice. I think that's what I'll do. No sense driving myself crazy of the decision.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2008-03-01, 11:53   Link #56
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Now i am feeling kinda left out, as i can't really relate to the most complaints about this episode. While on can say that "nothing much happened" ... well, not like we can be in center of feuds between merchant companies, dangerous rescue missions, life threatening escapes and wolf Horo trampling humans all the time. It isn't what attracted me to this show in the first place. We are introduced to a new character, so i can see why they took time to expand on her a bit.

No revelations about Nora ? Is that surprising considering we got hints at her being avoided only at the end of the episode ? I am not expecting every mystery to come with a revelations scroll attached to it the second it is introduced.

I can see why one would like to find out more about the armor, but i don't think just any stranger is going to tell the tale either. Now that Lawrance has reached the merchant guild, i am sure things will get revealed.

Only thing that annoyed me a bit in this episode was Horo's "jealousy", but other than that and some questionable looking far camera pans i can't fault this episode for much.

On a side note - Nora sure reminds me a lot of Nagisa from Clannad. Not only do the two share the same seiyuu, their personalities match rather closely as well. At times i could have sworn i was listening to Nagisa speaking
Old 2008-03-01, 13:49   Link #57
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Overall wasn't bothered by not a lot of answers showing up. Just one of those episodes where the questions get raised and we can start getting some more insight later. At least it'll be interesting to see just what trouble Lawrence and Horo are walking into this time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo View Post
Wolf and Conspiracy

Fruit seller: I'm sorry m'am, honey apple, pears, peaches were all sold out.
Horo: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! !!!!!!!
I fear for the fruit seller that would have to explain that kind of thing to Horo .
Old 2008-03-01, 14:11   Link #58
Thentus

Location: Might as well waste five seconds of your life; Pennsylvania
Send a message via MSN to Thentus
Wolf and Conspiracy?

There's always a conspiracy around when it comes to merchanting . But it was pretty much a give away once you watched the whole episode, there had to be something that told you "Something's up, must be a conspiracy." or whatever.

I really do wonder what's up with the armor though? Maybe it will have to do with Lawrence's past which may have been shown through that guy calling him "son", and how some random guy knows him, or has heard of him. If there weren't any hidden pasts in anime, well that would be screwed up .
Old 2008-03-01, 15:29   Link #59
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I agree with Skyfall about the action not being the selling point of this show. Frankly, if Horo never has to turn into a wolf again, and Lawrence never has to draw his knife, I'll be perfectly content. They're just not action hero material.

I love Horo being playful. I didn't mind Horo's jealousy. I mean, it makes sense. Having a stranger along means she'll have to be more careful not to slip up with her disguise, and wolves and shepherds are natural enemies.

And so what if this episode didn't provide any answers? It provided questions such as, what's Nora's deal, and what's with those armors? And has Lawrence finally learned to control his bladder? I'm sure we'll get answers eventually, except maybe for the bladder thing.
Old 2008-03-01, 15:31   Link #60
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Perhaps the dog knows what will happen if it started barking at horo...

He is wise and know who NOT to pick fights with...

It is interesting that as the more time horo spends with lawrence...the more she turns into a child. Lawl at lawrence patting on her head
That's easy Lawrence makes Horo feel young again

ep. 4 has still been the high point for me (Horo pouring her heart out to Lawrence about literally hundreds of years of loneliness).